Sucking on Exhaust pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

opm2008

Verified Member
Dec 27, 2014
Singapore
Last night was the worst.
Having set up my Gen style tank with mesh over the weekend and satisfied that I skipped a few grades moving from my EVOD to the Mech Mod, I think I have to go back a few grades.
By accident I discovered sub-ohm territory when I serviced the rig and tightened the coil reducing the Kanthal length.
First set up vaped very fine with a reading of 1.8 Ohms.
After the service, vaped okay for awhile at 0.6 Ohms.

Then a few hours after, tank was full but I kept sucking metallic burnt hits that I can only describe as spicy sharp NOT BBQ sauce.
Like captioned, exhaust!

Even after directly dripping liquid on the coil, I still did not get a taste of juice but the hits of burnt oxidized metal.
Just for learning, any ideas as to what could have happened?

Rig is running a 26650 3.7V IMR.

I have since trashed the mesh (which btw looked really like the burnt end of a matchstick)
Maybe the wicking process was an issue?

Thanks for dropping by.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Last night was the worst.

Ya' think?

Having set up my Gen style tank with mesh over the weekend and satisfied that I skipped a few grades moving from my EVOD to the Mech Mod, I think I have to go back a few grades.

Could be.

By accident I discovered sub-ohm territory when I serviced the rig and tightened the coil reducing the Kanthal length.
First set up vaped very fine with a reading of 1.8 Ohms.
After the service, vaped okay for awhile at 0.6 Ohms.

1.2Ω difference? Assuming you don't have a short... that's some serious "tightening" on a single coil. Making a few educated guesses about what your build is... you went from around 2.3 amps/10 watts to 7 amps 29 watts discharge.
Assuming (more guessing) Kanthal A1, your coil temperature increased from around 150 mW/mm2 to over 1200 mW/mm2. Even if I'm off on a few values, the temperature increase will be fairly constant, for a wire gauge.

Then a few hours after, tank was full but I kept sucking metallic burnt hits that I can only describe as spicy sharp NOT BBQ sauce.
Like captioned, exhaust!

So... BBQ sauce is preferable? ;-)

Even after directly dripping liquid on the coil, I still did not get a taste of juice but the hits of burnt oxidized metal.
Just for learning, any ideas as to what could have happened?

Maybe. You still had a base layer of burnt schmutz ("schmutz" a highly technical term referring to the assorted mystery crap that can develop on a coil/wick - see "gunk") insulating both wick and coil.

Rig is running a 26650 3.7V IMR.

That's fine at 0.6Ω... even for a low MCCD 26650.

I have since trashed the mesh (which btw looked really like the burnt end of a matchstick)
Maybe the wicking process was an issue?

What gauge mesh? Often dependent on the gauge, mesh can work well with some juices/resistance values/atomizer types... not so swell with others, particularly when the resistance value/input current is producing enough heat that a potential for the mesh not being able to "keep up" exists.
The wick-in-coil runs dry, gets hot and burns whatever is still in the wick. As this accumulation develops, it may reduce the mesh's wicking capabilities even further.

Thanks for dropping by.

It's been fun.

For future reference, opm... when you have a problem, or just want another brain to consider you're issue, please include all pertinent data regarding your build, power supply and juice details.

I don't know what blend/flavor you're using for juice... but some simply don't work all that well with a genny atomizer running mesh. Thinner (more PG or distilled water added to the existing liquid), lighter color, less sweetener... more "tipping". Any of these may aid in wick performance.

Go back to the milder build and confirm net resistance (PM me with your exact build specs, and I'd be happy to make some recommendations - per Steam Engine - that will provide a good balance between resistance and wicking capabilities)... or look into other, single material or hybrid, wicking mediums with better capillary action.

If you want to experiment on your own... click on the first two siglines below. One to Steam Engine, the other to the advanced user guide for Steam Engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread