Suddenly coughing after vaping for a few months

Status
Not open for further replies.

MouseUK

Mar 20, 2016
Hey all.

I've been vaping regularly for about 3 months now, generally sticking to 3 or 6mg, high VG (80-90%) juices. My usual method of inhaling is mouth to lung.

I didn't have any issues initially, apart from a bit of wheezing when I inhaled too many times in one session, but since I stopped doing that, it's all been great.

However, in the last few weeks, I've had some problems:

- A clicking noise in the back of my throat when I breathe, whether I've recently been vaping or not. I can't feel it, but I can hear it.
- Occasional tightness in my chest
- And whenever I try to inhale, I end up coughing!

My throat/chest basically feel super sensitive. I've just switched to an old 100% VG juice I had hanging around to see whether it's any issue with the PG, so I'll report back about that, but yeah. Any ideas as to why this has suddenly started? I haven't changed juices, hardware, or anything. Any ideas for fixing it?

Reactions: David Wolf

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
May be it's not related to vaping or may be you are still adjusting to the experience or may be you are vaping more ml's than you should or there's too much flavoring or not the right flavoring. I've been vaping 17 months. My comfort with vaping now is greater than at 3 months, 6 months, 9 months or even 12 months. To make it a more comfortable experience I reduced the flavor to 1%. I'm strict about holding the line on power and daily ml's. E liquid vapor is reletively benign but it's still more irritation than breathing plain air. In the early weeks vaping made me slightly queasy. I figured that would pass and it did. I had some mouth irritation until I reduced flavor way down. My lungs know that I vape but the effect is trivial compared to smoking. I hoped vaping could be a total indulgence, no need to discipline or deny myself anything. Wrong.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I did a lot of research when I first started vaping 4 years ago and found out that the nicotine is absorbed better through the mucous membranes of the nasal passages. Subsequently, I started inhaling into my mouth and exhaling through my nose without inhaling into my lungs. You may want to try it. However, I agree that you should see a doctor, none of us here are, and even if we were, we would insist on running tests on you and not giving electronic advice.

Good luck and I hope you resolve the problem.

Reactions: celticluvr

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hey all.

I've been vaping regularly for about 3 months now, generally sticking to 3 or 6mg, high VG (80-90%) juices. My usual method of inhaling is mouth to lung.

I didn't have any issues initially, apart from a bit of wheezing when I inhaled too many times in one session, but since I stopped doing that, it's all been great.

- A clicking noise in the back of my throat when I breathe, whether I've recently been vaping or not. I can't feel it, but I can hear it.

My throat/chest basically feel super sensitive. I've just switched to an old 100% VG juice I had hanging around to see whether it's any issue with the PG, so I'll report back about that, but yeah. Any ideas as to why this has suddenly started? I haven't changed juices, hardware, or anything. Any ideas for fixing it?
I suggest trying a high pg low vg. I vape 80pg/20vg high vg gives me the symptoms you have.

Reactions: Hyperspace

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Hey all.

Have you ruled out having an issue with VG? I am more sensitive to VG than to PG. If I go too high on the VG, I get very congested.

Also, allergy season has just started in most areas. Could seasonal allergies be the culprit? You really may want to see a Dr to rule out other issues being the cause.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: OhTheAgony

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
My experience has been that in order to find the culprit you have to use the process of elimination. Try vaping 100% PG (no flavor) Then 100% VG (no flavor) Do each for a full day if you are able to or until you get a reaction. If still no reaction, it could even be the particular flavor that you are using. Next step would be to use each flavor that you normally use to see if there is a reaction.

That is how I narrowed it down to VG being the issue for me anyway.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I think the OP lost interest in this thread. He hasn't posted since March 20th.

Maybe so but, you never know who else may benefit from the info here. Many people with similar issues research among the threads contained in the health section. :)

Reactions: wiredlove
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread