Suddenly having a very basic problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
As a few people here may know, I've been vaping for a million years, and I've gotten so comfortable with my current daily setup that I haven't even logged into ECF in a long time. However, I'm suddenly having a very BASIC embarrassing problem... I really hope someone has the magical solution (even if it is to buy something else ;)).

So anyway. For over 10 months I've been using the same simple setup every day: the original istick, Beyond Vape Silo Lite with Aspire BVCs, Halo Sub-Zero at 10.5-ish watts. I'm totally satisfied with it and have finally been able to quit smoking for a few solid months now. However, suddenly recently, about 9-10 months into using this combination I'm getting extremely frequent consistent GURGLING. I am constantly blowing through it, tightening the coil head, cleaning underneath it, down the air tube, and in the well under the drip tip with paper towel... and the gurgle comes back mere minutes later. Brand new coil heads? The gurgle comes back. Brand new entire Silo Lite tank? The gurgle comes back.

So what am I missing? Can vaping style actually cause gurgling and over the years I just never learned this? Inhaling too light or too hard? Bad luck? Haunted by a big tobacco specter in the 4th dimension?

Definitely open to purchasing a different gear setup, but please know I'm happy with my 10-12 watt menthol analog substitute comfort zone. I have wholeheartedly tried VG juice and sub-ohming but I don't like it.

Thanks old friends!

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Inhaling too hard will for sure cause gurgling. You are sucking more juice thru the wick than you are vaporizing and it builds up and can leak out the air holes and gurgle.
High % PG juice can also cause it as it is thinner.
Blowing thru it seems to make it worse to me.
Vaping at a lower wattage than the setup is designed for can also cause gurgle.

Reactions: thetrucker

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
My bet is on the PG ratio as well. I stopped using BVC's for this exact reason. They changed them to 100% cotton like 6-8 months ago, and it's possible that this is your first time with them maybe. The flavor is better but they don't handle thinner juices very well. I would try some higher VG juice if you have some and see if it still does it. Maybe even something that's 60VG/40PG. I know it sucks, but might be a good excuse to try a new juice. It happened to me with a different tank, and it's a silver lining at least.

Doing a quick search online, it looks like that Halo juice might indeed be higher PG, but Halo doesn't release their ratios (boo). The sad part is, most coils are looking to be designed for higher VG ratio juices these days. I have a feeling they test with those juices and don't consider higher PG blends when designing them.

It also might be worth calling Beyond and asking them. They've been semi helpful with some issues I've had in the past, but I'm betting it's a coil issue. Oh, and you could always try those BV coils for a change. Also, I have an old Silo Lite that I tried once but didn't like the tight draw. It's all yours if you want to send me a self addressed envelope. I may even have some of those old coils I can send too. Just PM me if you think that would help.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
As a few people here may know, I've been vaping for a million years, and I've gotten so comfortable with my current daily setup that I haven't even logged into ECF in a long time. However, I'm suddenly having a very BASIC embarrassing problem... I really hope someone has the magical solution (even if it is to buy something else ;)).

So anyway. For over 10 months I've been using the same simple setup every day: the original iStick, Beyond Vape Silo Lite with Aspire BVCs, Halo Sub-Zero at 10.5-ish watts. I'm totally satisfied with it and have finally been able to quit smoking for a few solid months now. However, suddenly recently, about 9-10 months into using this combination I'm getting extremely frequent consistent GURGLING. I am constantly blowing through it, tightening the coil head, cleaning underneath it, down the air tube, and in the well under the drip tip with paper towel... and the gurgle comes back mere minutes later. Brand new coil heads? The gurgle comes back. Brand new entire Silo Lite tank? The gurgle comes back.

So what am I missing? Can vaping style actually cause gurgling and over the years I just never learned this? Inhaling too light or too hard? Bad luck? Haunted by a big tobacco specter in the 4th dimension?

Definitely open to purchasing a different gear setup, but please know I'm happy with my 10-12 watt menthol analog substitute comfort zone. I have wholeheartedly tried VG juice and sub-ohming but I don't like it.

Thanks old friends!
What juice are you using? Ratio? Ask yourself what's changed. Room temperature wher you vape? Has your juice supplier messed up your juice ratios? Coil wicking changes?

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
What juice are you using? Ratio? Ask yourself what's changed. Room temperature wher you vape? Has your juice supplier messed up your juice ratios? Coil wicking changes?

Unfortunately as drysprocket said, Halo doesn't publicize their PG/VG ratio, but it is mostly PG. That much is definite. So no juice change, no temperature change (I used this setup winter through summer), no coil wicking change (stock Aspire)... Both the juice and coils were mentioned in my first post. I did try to purchase this juice (as it is the only kind I use nowadays) with higher VG, but of course it is one of the several Halo flavors that are not offered in their new variant.

Eh, no biggie. I have fortunately figured out that if I take the drip tip out and angle the tank downward, and shove some twisted paper towel in the airtube for several seconds, I can let gravity do the work. This successfully makes the problem (temporarily!) go away. But it always returns.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Unfortunately as drysprocket said, Halo doesn't publicize their PG/VG ratio, but it is mostly PG. That much is definite. So no juice change, no temperature change (I used this setup winter through summer), no coil wicking change (stock Aspire)... Both the juice and coils were mentioned in my first post. I did try to purchase this juice (as it is the only kind I use nowadays) with higher VG, but of course it is one of the several Halo flavors that are not offered in their new variant.

Eh, no biggie. I have fortunately figured out that if I take the drip tip out and angle the tank downward, and shove some twisted paper towel in the airtube for several seconds, I can let gravity do the work. This successfully makes the problem (temporarily!) go away. But it always returns.
Ah I missed that, didn't realize Halo sub zero was a juice :) tough problem, I was wondering if maybe your seals have worn so your tank isn't keeping a vacuum as you vape, but then you said you tried a brand new tank. If it's not your tank, that leaves the juice or a bad batch of coils unless you've tried coils from a different batch. I have a lot of gurgling with my nautilus mini's in the summer heat and do pretty much what you're having to do now, but in cooler months like now they are doing just fine on my 70pg/30vg juice, using either the stock 1.6 or 1.8ohm vertical cotton coils.

Last edited:

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles

No one should have to vape like that. If you're in the market for a new tank, the Innokin Apex seems to be the one tank that can handle 50/50 juice like a champ. Zero leaking or gurgling for me. The 2.0 isub coils at 10.5 watts is exactly what I run on it. And they have 1.5 coils due out sometime soonish too.

Something to consider for a good current tootle puffer setup. I bet you could pick it up cheap next week on sale. The coils are on the cheaper side too. Best of luck.

Reactions: Jingles

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
No one should have to vape like that. If you're in the market for a new tank, the Innokin Apex seems to be the one tank that can handle 50/50 juice like a champ. Zero leaking or gurgling for me. The 2.0 isub coils at 10.5 watts is exactly what I run on it. And they have 1.5 coils due out sometime soonish too.

Something to consider for a good current tootle puffer setup. I bet you could pick it up cheap next week on sale. The coils are on the cheaper side too. Best of luck.

Innokin was a good suggestion, thanks. I looked up some info on the Apex and discovered this little kit: Innokin Endura T18 Starter Kit

It's regulated at 14 watts, not variable, the tank is fillable from the top, 1.5 ohm coil heads, and the video reviews say it's a "perfect mouth to lung device." I've been vaping for over 5 years but I still like a good tight 12+ mg mouth hit. Sooo, I just bought a black kit. Fingers crossed.

balance

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
It's possible that your tank has O-Rings that are just getting tired and you're loosing vacuum. Check your O-Rings and either replace them or get another tank like the one you have, it sounds like you have been happy with it so far.

Second the suggestion about O-rings. I have two Aspire ET-S with the BVC coils that worked like champs for a year, no leaks, no gurgles, no problems until suddenly -- leaking like crazy. Two hits, and then, gurgle, gurgle, gurgle. I'd do the whole blow through the tube thing, but after another two hits, leaks again. Finally noticed that the O-rings were now so thin as to be nearly invisible. I wish I knew where to get replacements, because otherwise these little tanks are just so portable and convenient. I picked up some o-rings at Harbor Freight, but they don't seem to do the trick. Fortunately, I can replace both for less than one Nautilus Mini.

Reactions: anavidfan

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Second the suggestion about O-rings. I have two Aspire ET-S with the BVC coils that worked like champs for a year, no leaks, no gurgles, no problems until suddenly -- leaking like crazy. Two hits, and then, gurgle, gurgle, gurgle. I'd do the whole blow through the tube thing, but after another two hits, leaks again. Finally noticed that the O-rings were now so thin as to be nearly invisible. I wish I knew where to get replacements, because otherwise these little tanks are just so portable and convenient. I picked up some o-rings at Harbor Freight, but they don't seem to do the trick. Fortunately, I can replace both for less than one Nautilus Mini.

I was just about to suggest Orings too. Its unfortunate when you find that one thing that is is great for you and then something like this happens.

I think what the problem is, is that these tanks are usually considered disposable. They dont build them to last. They dont expect anyone to to use it daily for 10 months. Even if you changed the orings and it is still leaking then most likely some of the threads are worn now, or the terminals are loose, the stainless steel they use is not a higher grade and its soft and either has lost its shape somewhere or corroded inside somewhere.

If you tried the oring changes and tried a thicker liquid and its still gurgles, then check to make sure your contacts are clean and terminals and screws are tight and clean, you might just want to get another one. Hopefully they have not changed it and you can once again enjoy your vape.

I use mostly RTAs and notice that notice as my battery goes down in power , my tank gurgles since its not getting as much power, that when I pop in a fresh battery and its great again.

I would check the contacts on your Istick. Maybe its dirty . I notice a big difference with my mods when I clean them. Even my box reg mod performs noticeably better when I clean the contacts inside and out.

If your mod is not one that you can put a new battery in, it could be that maybe either the MOD or the charger is not actually charging to 4.2 each time or holding the charge and you would get gurgle.

Just a thought.

Reactions: balance

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Innokin was a good suggestion, thanks. I looked up some info on the Apex and discovered this little kit: Innokin Endura T18 Starter Kit

It's regulated at 14 watts, not variable, the tank is fillable from the top, 1.5 ohm coil heads, and the video reviews say it's a "perfect mouth to lung device." I've been vaping for over 5 years but I still like a good tight 12+ mg mouth hit. Sooo, I just bought a black kit. Fingers crossed.

Nice, I just saw that review too. I might join you and pick one up- let me know how you end up liking it.

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
So, I wanted to follow up, if for no other reason than to answer drysprocket's curiosity.

I received the Innokin Endura in the mail, and all of the YouTube reviews have it right: this is the best-packaged, most well-rounded, simple kit I've ever seen. The top fill and single button are fool-proof, and I can imagine the learning curve will be quite low for folks who are just getting their first e-cig. I used it as my all-day device for about a week and a half.

However... heh. Was the vape as good as the Silo Lite, Aspires, and iStick? NOPE!

#1: Since it's top coil and regulated at 14 watts, it's just too hot for an all-day menthol. The sweetness that is in the mint aftertaste of my juice seems to completely disappear, so I'm left with sucking what is like a steaming hot Halls cough drop all day. (With that said, it'd be much better for tobaccos... actually, I bet it'd be quite "authentic.") #2: Even though Innokin upgraded to Japanese organic cotton for the wicks, they still use the same silicone/rubber gasket above the coil that they used in the iClear 30S. So any "hit" you take that isn't super saturated has a
rubber/plastic undertone.

Anyway, since this wasn't supposed to be a freaking Innokin thread -- I am back to desperately trying to use my iStick/Beyond Vape. I put a new head in, I'm taking slower lighter draws, and I've learned an (annoying) trick of holding the whole mod horizontally and blowing through it, with a paper towel over the tank airholes.

If this fails, I think I'll try an Anyvape Davide (Aspire BVC version).

Reactions: DonnaVapes

Guzz

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2014
Tempe, AZ
Been there, done that.

To clear the "gurgles", remove the drip tip, cover opening with a tissue or paper towel, while holding on TIGHT, and flick away from you several times. This just get the excess juice out of the system.

To prevent the "gurgles" increase your power (voltage, wattage, temp, depending on your setup). The issue is you aren't completely turning the e-juice into vapor, and you're sucking the juice through the coils, hence the excess juice.

Reactions: thetrucker

DonnaVapes

Feb 29, 2016
machinestatic: Did you go ahead with the Anyvape Davide with Aspire BVC? I bought that setup (I like to MTL vape as you do and don't care for the issues with sub-ohm tanks. I really like the Davide - it's affordable, it doesn't leak, spit, gurgle, pop or otherwise annoy me. It makes decent clouds and flavor (IMHO) and I'm very pleased with it. Another equally nice tank (small but workable fill holes) is the $7 GS V-Core III. I have two of them and plan on purchasing more (they are just wonderful - you can stealth-vape them like the Davide & no issues at all). I got both at DiscountVapers.com -- great customer service & fast shipping. HTH. Vape on!

Reactions: balance

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    All I have to do is use the rings from my broken Aspire ET-S' My MVP has a bad habit about falling.:oops: I just take the O rings from them if need be, plus we are getting some back up tanks because of said dropping/falling :D. I can haz Butterfingerz... lol:pervy: It would be nice though, to find some O rings.... now I gotta go look and see if I can find some. If I do I'll let you know. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread