Suffered a heart attack 10 days ago switched to e cigs I feel better

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnson

Apr 20, 2015
N/A
However am i lulling myself into a false sense of security? The good news I suppose is that i didn't need a stent during the angioplasty procedure!

I am currently using the V2 disposable product with 1.8% Nicotine which is another problem because it's expensive $9 at retail store! Has anyone else had heart issues such as mine? I also smoke '{Other Stuff}' and now I have resorted to eating the stuff instead of smoking. I'm thinking about buying a dual purpose vape pen from V2 so i can continue smoking {Other Stuff}.

Any thoughts, opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kwb5064

DampMop

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2015
Bedford, England
Wow, glad you came through that OK.

As far as ecigs go, the V2 is a cigalike. Old technology, tend to have high nic, poor vapour production, not very satisfying as a replacement for smokes, limited flavours, and as you found out expensive refills.

If you're looking to get off the cigs, it might be time for your first proper setup :)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Please read: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ation/255864-why-we-dont-allow-drug-talk.html

Discussion of equipment that works with 'Other stuff' is not allowed on this forum.

I'm glad you made it through your heart attack.

viannen_01.gif

welcome.gif
Welcome!
welcome.gif

Reactions: kwb5064

johnson

Apr 20, 2015
N/A
Wow, glad you came through that OK.

As far as ecigs go, the V2 is a cigalike. Old technology, tend to have high nic, poor vapour production, not very satisfying as a replacement for smokes, limited flavours, and as you found out expensive refills.

If you're looking to get off the cigs, it might be time for your first proper setup :)

thanks for your kind words! It was scary as {Moderated}

do you have advice for a better option than the V2? is 1.8% nicotine considered high? I really like the flavor compared to some of the other junk i have purchased in the retail stores. I just placed an order with V2 for disposables and 1 nice thing is they give a 10% discount to ex military which was cool. At least someone gives a {Moderated} about us even if the govt doesn't! (sorry for the rant)...

any/all advice whether positive or negative is greatly appreciated!

johnson

Apr 20, 2015
N/A
hi and welcome, there are so many options out there instead of the disposables, and no 1.8% is not the highest, the highest most US vendors go is 2.4% or 24 mg

weird the other day i purchased Zoom 2 pack BOLD at a gas station and the label states 4.4% for the BOLD. Maybe it's 2.2%x2?

I really want quit smoking completely and i'm afraid if i buy a starter kit or cig vaping device i'll never stop.

DampMop

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2015
Bedford, England
thanks for your kind words! It was scary as {Moderated}

do you have advice for a better option than the V2? is 1.8% nicotine considered high? I really like the flavor compared to some of the other junk i have purchased in the retail stores. I just placed an order with V2 for disposables and 1 nice thing is they give a 10% discount to ex military which was cool. At least someone gives a {Moderated} about us even if the govt doesn't! (sorry for the rant)...

any/all advice whether positive or negative is greatly appreciated!

I bet it was. I jump at every little chest pain, so for it to actually go somewhere? Scary.

Sorry, I may have mis-represented the nic content in my cigalike rant above. Some cigalikes are 4.8% (Blu cigalikes for example), but I shouldn't have mentioned it in my post given that it doesn't apply to your device. All the others bits of the rant do though. 18mg/ml / 1.8% is fine for that device.

When you mentioned you had the V2 with disposables, I was thinking more along the lines of upgrading to something like a mod and refillable tank. The Eleaf iStick 50w and Subtank Mini seems to be a popular choice here, though there are other options.

Going to a mod from a cigalike is like night and day, not to mention makes quitting smoking a virtual cakewalk (for some). More vapour, flavour, control over the strength of your device, control over nicotine content, and an uncountable number of flavours for your juices and cheaper than pre-made refills are the pros. The cons being the higher cost for the initial device.

If you're thinking of going in this direction, I'm sure people here can guide you to the right setup depending on your budget and any other requirements you have. There are so many options now compared to just a year ago. You picked a great time if quitting the smokies is your aim.

johnson

Apr 20, 2015
N/A
You're welcome. :)

psssssssst also the use of profanity is not allowed ;)

If the forum censors it, don't try to get around the censor. ( .... ) <~~~~{censored word) will show up as dots.

got it LOL

I really appreciate the replies esp this fast! It was really a harrowing experience especially not being in control of the situation. I'm a tough guy but when the heart attack happened it literally felt like i was placed in a giant bench vice. Luckily for me the paramedics and crash team at the hospital saved my life. BTW i'm already fighting with the VA for dispay over the incident= some things never change i guess.

I'm not a doctor, so don't take it for gospel, but you're probably not out of the clear. The way I understand it is nicotine is a fairly potent stimulant (see: bad for your heart), so the only real way to reduce the risk of further cardiovascular issues is to reduce your intake of stimulants, nicotine included. Caffeine, guarana, and any other stimulants your might intake would also fall into that.

Though like I said, not a doctor, that's just how I heard it.

johnson

Apr 20, 2015
N/A
I bet it was. I jump at every little chest pain, so for it to actually go somewhere? Scary.

Sorry, I may have mis-represented the nic content in my cigalike rant above. Some cigalikes are 4.8% (Blu cigalikes for example), but I shouldn't have mentioned it in my post given that it doesn't apply to your device. All the others bits of the rant do though. 18mg/ml / 1.8% is fine for that device.

When you mentioned you had the V2 with disposables, I was thinking more along the lines of upgrading to something like a mod and refillable tank. The Eleaf iStick 50w and Subtank Mini seems to be a popular choice here, though there are other options.

Going to a mod from a cigalike is like night and day, not to mention makes quitting smoking a virtual cakewalk (for some). More vapour, flavour, control over the strength of your device, control over nicotine content, and an uncountable number of flavours for your juices and cheaper than pre-made refills are the pros. The cons being the higher cost for the initial device.

If you're thinking of going in this direction, I'm sure people here can guide you to the right setup depending on your budget and any other requirements you have. There are so many options now compared to just a year ago. You picked a great time if quitting the smokies is your aim.

Thankyou so much!

for right now and since i ordered disposables from V2 already i'll take my time upgrading to the system that fits me, weighing all the advice people give me here.

One other thing that needs to be noted. I live very close to the hospital, they had me there within 10 minutes and the angioplasty performed within 20. If you think a heart attack is happening don't try and tough it out like i did. CALL 911 immediately if it turns out to be a false alarm no big deal. Because i have been in tough situations in the military i didn't panic like many would do in a similar situation and was able control what little breathing i had left...

thank god for modern medical technology or i would be dead!

johnson

Apr 20, 2015
N/A
I'm not a doctor, so don't take it for gospel, but you're probably not out of the clear. The way I understand it is nicotine is a fairly potent stimulant (see: bad for your heart), so the only real way to reduce the risk of further cardiovascular issues is to reduce your intake of stimulants, nicotine included. Caffeine, guarana, and any other stimulants your might intake would also fall into that.

Though like I said, not a doctor, that's just how I heard it.

I believe your correct

urghhhh another issue i have is coffee like tons of it! actually drinking a cup right now

I think what i'll do is order a starter kit soon and the lowest nicotine amt possible....

I also ordered a few nicotine free flavored disposables off ebay they should be here tomorrow

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Welcome Johnson. I am a retiree, too. I guess smokers hit an age and decide that a heart attack or pulling an oxygen tank are not worth smoking for.

For me, I switched overnight. I got two complete systems in case one broke or got stolen (it happens), etc. No excuse to buy a pack. Anyway, getting nic replacement was my priority. I started high (3.6% or 36mg). I vaped about five drags and put it down until I felt the urge again. I looked for vaping about once an hour. The 36mg was to strong, so I dropped down to 24mg within the week. I just went by urges. Oh, my doctor approved because it is "harm reduction" or better than smoking and my dentist noticed that my gums are heathier.

After about a month, my taste buds had healed and I noticed that I could actually taste the vape. At first I couldn't. Smell also came back.

As to what to get, I would try an eGo-style vaping pen. Looks about the size of a magic marker. Then a tank for the top that has store/internet-bought coils. Just to kinda get started. But, if you go to a vape store, this what you should ask about. Be about $40. Things are a lot cheaper on the internet.

At the vape store, you should be able to try flavors. Try a lot and buy 2 or 3.

Here, there are a lot of hobbyists that will lean to buying the Cadillac. Just get something to start, watch your urges and just keep learning and asking questions.

Ask away, and welcome to a new way of getting nic!

Last edited:

johnson

Apr 20, 2015
N/A
I believe your correct

urghhhh another issue i have is coffee like tons of it! actually drinking a cup right now

I think what i'll do is order a starter kit soon and the lowest nicotine amt possible....

I also ordered a few nicotine free flavored disposables off ebay they should be here tomorrow

I know that feel! Coffee is great. Careful not to starve yourself of nicotine too quickly, though. Withdrawal can be just as hard, if not harder on the body (blood pressure spikes, palpitations, etc., depending on how much your body is accustomed to). Ween yourself over the next few weeks, maybe months, would be my recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread