Suffered a heart attack 10 days ago switched to e cigs I feel better

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnson

Apr 20, 2015
N/A
Welcome Johnson. I am a retiree, too.
not retired yet although smoking analog cigs almost permanently retired me.

I guess smokers hit an age and decide that a heart attack or pulling an oxygen tank are not worth smoking for.
I definitely don't want end up in the ER again. The doc there runs a tight ship and the embarrassment alone would be stifling. It's also not fair to other patients especially when i have been warned.

For me, I switched overnight. I got two complete systems in case one broke or got stolen (it happens), etc. No excuse to buy a pack. Anyway, getting nic replacement was my priority. I started high (3.6% or 36mg). I vaped about five drags and put it down until I felt the urge again. I looked for vaping about once an hour. The 36mg was to strong, so I dropped down to 24mg within the week. I just went by urges. Oh, my doctor approved because it is "harm reduction" or better than smoking and my dentist noticed that my gums are heathier.

After about a month, my taste buds had healed and I noticed that I could actually taste the vape. At first I couldn't. Smell also came back.

As to what to get, I would try an eGo-style vaping pen. Looks about the size of a magic marker. Then a tank for the top that has store/internet-bought coils. Just to kinda get started. But, if you go to a vape store, this what you should ask about. Be about $40. Things are a lot cheaper on the internet.

At the vape store, you should be able to try flavors. Try a lot and buy 2 or 3.

Here, there are a lot of hobbyists that will lean to buying the Cadillac. Just get something to start, watch your urges and just keep learning and asking questions.

Ask away, and welcome to a new way of getting nic!

That sounds like a good game plan i'm working along the same lines "harm reduction" reducing nicotine.I am also somewhat leery of the different chemicals in the ecig liquid. My main goal is obviously quitting but i have to tell you truthfully, the highlight of my day is waking up to a nice cup of joe and a cig!

DampMop

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2015
Bedford, England
I am seriously considering purchasing the V2 Series 3 Vaporizer Kit because it can burn liquid. I also like the small for factor. Will the e-leaf i stick burn?

V2 Pro Portable Personal Vaporizers for Liquid - V2 Cigs
I really like the taste of the V2 juice and it can be ordered at 0.6% or even 0% obviously you could mix the two drop nic levels further?

Those are just for juices unfortunately. You'd need another device if you wanted to burn too.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnson

Apr 20, 2015
N/A
Those are just for juices unfortunately. You'd need another device if you wanted to burn too.

thanks for the PM and vid brother!

a(Moderated). One thing that impressed me about V2 was the quality control of their liquids and also the 10% military discount. I know 10% isn't much but the fact they offer it is huge for someone like myself. I will always try do business with companies that support vets even if i lose money. Customer support is also on point as i didn't know about the discount until after i placed the order. I sent them an email and they were right on top of the issue.

brbbbb making another cup of joe guess i'll have start buying decaf.... sucks getting old!

DampMop

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2015
Bedford, England
thanks for the PM and vid brother!

the V2 burns loose leaf and realistically i wouldn't be burning that much of it anyway. One thing that impressed me about V2 was the quality control of their liquids and also the 10% military discount. I know 10% isn't much but the fact they offer it is huge for someone like myself. I will always try do business with companies that support vets even if i lose money. Customer support is also on point as i didn't know about the discount until after i placed the order. I sent them an email and they were right on top of the issue.

brbbbb making another cup of joe guess i'll have start buying decaf.... sucks getting old!

Any time :)

Nice to see them doing that over there. There's not much of that going on around these parts.

5-6 days and you already have a stack of stuff :2cool: Might want to add a display cabinet to your Birthday list ha.

I managed to kick my coffee with Green Tea. Mmm honey and lemon. Not that it helped much of anything given how much caffeine it still contains, but still, it made a nice change.

Have a good night!

johnson

Apr 20, 2015
N/A
Glad to hear you are doing well, switching to e-cig was a great move, and coming to ECF will give you all the answers you might need...:)

thanks everyone for all the kind words and advice and Yes it was another great move posting on the forum. Hopefully I can save someone from the ordeal I just went through. I will most likely place my V2 order later tonight for the smoke pen thing and mix tobacco ratios with their 10 pack sampler...... the throwaways are getting expensive!

smkfree

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2014
oak lawn il
I would not order the V2 S3 kit until you read all that has been posted on their own Forum. They have had plenty of problems with them. Drop down on their (V2) main page and you can find a link to the forum.
I had a heart attack 17 months ago and ended up with 2 stents. Just before that I started vaping with V2. Using pre-filled carts. Used them on and off with tabacco flavor. After my attack I tried the other flavors and gave up the reg. cigs. for good. I switched to the EX blanks and e-liquid for cost. With the military discount you can also still use the monthly discount code and sales for added savings.
After awhile I got tired of filling the small ex-blanks and charging batteries. I went with an Ego CE4/5 battery (1100mah) and Kanger T3s tanks. Much better set-up and cheaper than V2. I also started ordering e-liquid from Vape Wild. Lower price and more choice in flavors. The T3s tank has a coil that can be replaced for as little as $1.00 each. I still use this set-up when not at home. 8 months now and I have been completely off smoking. I have had 2 stress tests since the attack and the doctor say's keep with it.
Just last week I got an Istick 50w for the battery life (4400mah) and I still use the Kanger T3s tanks. The 50w battery will last 1 1/2 to 2 days on a charge.
Good luck to you.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
I am seriously considering purchasing the V2 Series 3 Vaporizer Kit because it can burn loose leaf as well wax and liquid. I also like the small form factor. Will the e-leaf i stick burn loose leaf?

V2 Pro Portable Personal Vaporizers for Liquid, Oils and Loose Leaf - V2 Cigs
I really like the taste of the V2 juice and it can be ordered at 0.6% or even 0% obviously you could mix the two drop nic levels further?

From "My" experience, It really depends on what "You" are looking for and what "You" have decided to do . . . Be it maintain and continue "smoking" - "loose leaf" products with a system that is similar to what "You" are using now or actually want to change it up and only vape "E-Liquids" w/wo Nicotine . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

However, now to be perfectly honest - although after a few years I am still not a Full-time Vapor yet and even still smoke cigarettes - I started with a "cig-a-like" (as many people call them) and still use them throughout the day, along with more advanced AVP's too . . .

So IMO - Whatever equipment "You" decide on using, it has to be something that "You" are going to be comfortable using and to meet "YOUR" NEEDS . . . Just remember to be patient and do your research, because it really will take some time to find what is right for "You" to meet those NEEDS . . .

Oh yea - As An FYI: Remember to get backups and then backups for those backups too . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

GOOD LUCK with "Your" Transition into the Vaping World ! ! !

RCHagy74

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2014
Niverville, NY, US
thanks for your kind words! It was scary as {Moderated}

do you have advice for a better option than the V2? is 1.8% nicotine considered high? I really like the flavor compared to some of the other junk i have purchased in the retail stores. I just placed an order with V2 for disposables and 1 nice thing is they give a 10% discount to ex military which was cool. At least someone gives a {Moderated} about us even if the govt doesn't! (sorry for the rant)...

any/all advice whether positive or negative is greatly appreciated!

For some 1.8%, 18mg per ml, is high. A buddy of mine got me my first cigalike four years ago. It is what his father uses... at 54mg nic. His father is two heart attack, throat cancer survivor, 60+ years old and that device never leaves his hand.

Some folks need less nic. Others more. I get no satisfaction from anything less than 18mg nic, and I use drippers mainly now.

When you find a device that really works for you try a few differing nic levels till you find what works best to keep you off the coffin nails.

johnson

Apr 20, 2015
N/A
I would not order the V2 S3 kit until you read all that has been posted on their own Forum. They have had plenty of problems with them. Drop down on their (V2) main page and you can find a link to the forum.
I had a heart attack 17 months ago and ended up with 2 stents. Just before that I started vaping with V2. Using pre-filled carts. Used them on and off with tabacco flavor. After my attack I tried the other flavors and gave up the reg. cigs. for good. I switched to the EX blanks and e-liquid for cost. With the military discount you can also still use the monthly discount code and sales for added savings.
After awhile I got tired of filling the small ex-blanks and charging batteries. I went with an Ego CE4/5 battery (1100mah) and Kanger T3s tanks. Much better set-up and cheaper than V2. I also started ordering e-liquid from Vape Wild. Lower price and more choice in flavors. The T3s tank has a coil that can be replaced for as little as $1.00 each. I still use this set-up when not at home. 8 months now and I have been completely off smoking. I have had 2 stress tests since the attack and the doctor say's keep with it.
Just last week I got an Istick 50w for the battery life (4400mah) and I still use the Kanger T3s tanks. The 50w battery will last 1 1/2 to 2 days on a charge.
Good luck to you.

I ordered the V2 unit today i can always send it back depending on what i hear..the reason why i ordered(moderated). I also ordered the nic liquid at 0.6% dropping down from 1.8% as i said my goal is quit smoking altogether! Do you think the unit has defects and you had a heart attack because it didn't vape properly?? Or you had an attack because were still mixing analogs and digitals?! I'm confused??? i really appreciate all the input especially from people who have already been through the "gear buying/selection process"!

btw sorry hear about your heart attack i hope things are ok now?!

No, for me it isn't the caffeine, it is the acid in the coffee, it acts like a trigger for my gerds, so I have switched to tea which doesn't cause as much problem. But god I miss my coffee
coffee is gonna be a tough one for me

Oh yea - As An FYI: Remember to get backups and then backups for those backups too . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

GOOD LUCK with "Your" Transition into the Vaping World ! ! !

I hear that!

and thanks for the input!

I'm really sorry about your heart, that is very scary and I am glad you are ok! Its good you are vaping it will give your body a break from those cigs. I went through horrible withdrawal. may the vape be with you!

Thanks dear lady,

I am done with regular cigs the vaping is keeping me somewhat normal and not freaking with withdrawal symptoms. I have also ordered lower nic at 0.6% and will gradually step down from that. I love smoking but it's not worth dying for!

smkfree

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2014
oak lawn il
I had started on my quest to give up smoking before I had the heart attack. I didn't know my heart was in that bad of shape. I don't think vaping had anything to do with it. It was just waiting to happen.I was vaping and smoking on and off before the attack. It wasn't until after the attack that I got serious about it and went 100% to vaping.
V2 has had many Quality Control issues with the S3. I guess if you get one that works good off the bat your lucky. Some customers on the forum have had to replace them 2-3 times. Problems with the charging cable, burnt flavor from the cartridges, and broken connections. V2 does have a very good return or exchange policy. I never purchased one. When I went to up-grade I wanted something larger and more generic so I could have more choice and lower cost in equipment. Before the up-grade I found myself getting tired of charging batteries and filling tanks all day.
I can't address the loose leaf as I know very little, to nothing about it. I went with the e-liquid.
If the .06% is to low for you, you can mix it with .12% 50/50 and you will end up with .09%. You can also mix .0% with .18% to end up with .9%
The choices for vaping can be overwhelming but once you find your sweet spot you will be happy with the choice. I know my wife, the kids, and my doctor are happy with my choice. I can't tell you how many times over the last 40 years I have tried to quit smoking and I thought I never would. But I did.

johnson

Apr 20, 2015
N/A
I had started on my quest to give up smoking before I had the heart attack. I didn't know my heart was in that bad of shape. I don't think vaping had anything to do with it. It was just waiting to happen.I was vaping and smoking on and off before the attack. It wasn't until after the attack that I got serious about it and went 100% to vaping.
V2 has had many Quality Control issues with the S3. I guess if you get one that works good off the bat your lucky. Some customers on the forum have had to replace them 2-3 times. Problems with the charging cable, burnt flavor from the cartridges, and broken connections. V2 does have a very good return or exchange policy. I never purchased one. When I went to up-grade I wanted something larger and more generic so I could have more choice and lower cost in equipment. Before the up-grade I found myself getting tired of charging batteries and filling tanks all day.
I can't address the loose leaf as I know very little, to nothing about it. I went with the e-liquid.
If the .06% is to low for you, you can mix it with .12% 50/50 and you will end up with .09%. You can also mix .0% with .18% to end up with .9%
The choices for vaping can be overwhelming but once you find your sweet spot you will be happy with the choice. I know my wife, the kids, and my doctor are happy with my choice. I can't tell you how many times over the last 40 years I have tried to quit smoking and I thought I never would. But I did.

I was totally blind sided by my heart attack. I am in relatively good shape, active, decent cholesterol level and diet. The smoking was what did me in I now regret stealing cigs out of my moms purse at 15 thinking i was cool. As to the loose leaf i can't really discuss as per forum rules lets just say it's an alternative pain therapy.

I am definitely bummed about the V2 vape pen, i'm really glad you told me as other options are available for loose leaf vaping, not many at a decent price point though. I think what i'll do is search around for a better system. One thing i'm concerned about is that it vapes not smokes. If people are reporting a burnt taste that probably means they are inhaling smoke mixed with vapor. I have a few days figure it out before the unit arrives so it's not a big deal whatsoever.

In regards to your heart attack, my primary care doc told me genetics has lots to do with it. He has seen patients in their 70's that smoke 1-2 packs daily and they have never suffered a heart attack! I guess we were on the bad side of the curve.

Hope the vaping works for you. Haven't heard anyone say I wish I still smoked.

so far so good and yeah it's the same for alcohol. No one wakes up the next day and wishes they didn't miss out on a bottle of booze!

Last edited:
Reactions: salemgold

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Hi again, Johnson! I searched around for info about vendors who offer military discounts. Most of the info I was able to find came from ECF. People say that many vendors will offer if asked. Here's a list of vendors who I suspect discount for current and former military and/or are very military friendly and supportive in other ways. It might be a good idea to search or ask on ECF their opinions regarding how good and trustworthy they are, but most I think are very popular here:

Ahlusions
velvet vapors
smoktek
Mt. Baker Vapor
GotVapes
DIY Flavor Shack
Nicoticket
MOM and Pops Vapor Shop
apollo
route 66 vapor
volcano
v2
halo
Ahlusions
Valley Vapor
ejuicemonkeys
Sure Vapes
Tampa Vapor
Eonsmoke
Vapor Rio
Heart of Texas Vapors
many vape shops in Alaska
myplumes
Vapoligy

There've also been threads on this issue and there's an Armed Services forum on ECF.

My vaping costs me nearly nothing, partly by vaping mostly unflavored. Unflavored nic is really inexpensive to buy, and coils last way longer with it, bringing down the cost further, and cutting down on maintenance.

Another thing I like about unflavored is that after a meal, it sort of revisits the taste of the food I just ate, and for me it goes better with coffee than any smoke or flavored vape I've ever had.

I hope you're continuing to heal, and enjoying vaping. Wishing you the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread