Suggestions on how to quit smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
What are you vaping with, and what nic strength juice? If you find the right device for you and the right juices, you can quit. If the urge is strong at times you can take a few hits on an njoy rechargeable Bold cartridge at 4.5 % (48 mg) or Vuse at 4.8% instead of a cigarette and vape your normal device the rest of the time. Worked for me and no one was more addicted to cigarettes than me. Naturally extracted tobacco juices will satisfy a hardcore ex smoker :)

What are you vaping with, and what nic strength juice? If you find the right device for you and the right juices, you can quit. If the urge is strong at times you can take a few hits on an njoy rechargeable Bold cartridge at 4.5 % (48 mg) or Vuse at 4.8% instead of a cigarette and vape your normal device the rest of the time. Worked for me and no one was more addicted to cigarettes than me. Naturally extracted tobacco juices will satisfy a hardcore ex smoker :)
I 1000% agree with you @David M ...!! When I first started into this vaping business, I was pretty convinced that I NEEDED to find an e-liquid or e-juice that would or could replace that miserable TOBACCO addiction thing. I really did not know exactly what I was doing (when shopping) but I picked out 2 e-juices that emulated tobacco flavor and whatnot. Those 2 e-juices were Space Jam's Eclipse and Mystique Vapor Hyperion. I know, for fact, that these particular e-juices aided me greatly. Both were of 12 mg/ml strength. I just sort of guessed that these "tuity fruity" flavored e-juices were NOT going to cut the mustard, so to speak. And I was not wrong either.....in my particular case!! As you know...everybody is different in this area of likes, dislikes, needs and etc.,. So THANKS for pointing that out as well :w00t:

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
1. Find a setup that can give you as much nicotine as you can handle. You don't have to vape that way, but then you know that if you need it you can get it.
2. Backups for the backups. Once you have quit and then run out of battery or juice, you do not want the cure to be running down to the shop for a pack of 20. Spare batteries, spare atomisers, spare juice, spare chargers. Take them with you when you go out.
3. Every time you need a cigarette and nothing else will do, go and have a heavy vape. Wait ten minutes and ask yourself again if you need that cigarette,
4. When you fail, ask yourself if the experience of smoking was as enjoyable as you had thought it would be.
5. There are times you are conditioned to smoke. Learn what they are, expect them. Vape instead.
6. It still takes willpower, not much, but it still takes some.

There is one way to quit. It won't happen until you and your subconscious both trust vaping and you want to quit. Then one day you say to yourself "I am now a non-smoker." After that you can't smoke because that isn't something you do. To my mind, dual-use is just the time you take to perfect your gear, learn the art of vaping and experiment with avoiding cigarettes one by one. It took me a year. Quiting starts when you make the commitment.
^^^^^^ Really good advice

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    ^^^right on brother --- you have to want it and you have to want it bad in most cases. Some folks here claim that it comes about sort of by itself after they have vaped awhile but most folks I know still had to put quite a bit of mental effort into it.

I'd say it can come easily if you can rapidly drop to half your previous smoking or better. It also requires finding things to really like about vaping, and it sounds like you're not there yet. I actually stopped vaping because I thought it was causing exzema (it wasn't) and restarted because I remembered liking it so much I was willing to take some risk to enjoy it again. I actually couldn't handle vaping all day at first, vaped mostly because I liked it, smoked some for the stronger relaxative effect, and smoked some parts of the day as the only option.

I don't agree that you should not track your smoking (unless maybe it's obviously way better). I was already counting cigs before I even considered vaping. I didn't count them when I smoked them as much as when I made them (making your own helps get you ready for the amount of work in vaping, and makes smoking more effort). Being able to vape freely vs. a constant fight to limit smoking is a BIG improvement in my happiness. Even though I still smoke one (1/2 actually) sometimes and still enjoy them, the most noticable thing about that is it's over very fast, compared to what I'm accustomed to now.

My biggest suggestion is try to not go between vaping and smoking constantly. Vaping right after smoking is particularly irritating. Try to pick a vape only part of the day. I did push towards the entire work day a little fast and found I would get a headache if I didn't have a smoke in the late afternoon. But otherwise I'd smoke in the mornings and late night during that phase. Vaping does need to have one thing in common with smoking and unlike everything else in a smoker's life: you don't have a cig before you do it. If at first you still sometimes want a cig later, that can be OK, especially if it's already a half hour later and you might be lighting up a second one by that time.

Gradual quitting was very important to me because it allowed me to slowly see a me that doesn't smoke (or at least in no way habitually, I can think of having one and be easily distracted and forget all about it). If someone had said I could take a pill that will immediately turn me into a non-smoker, I would have said no way!

Broodmance

ECF Veteran
    Mar 14, 2015
    Houston
    As others have said. You have to want to quit. Change your routine. When do you normally buy cigarettes? I always stopped at a gas station on my way to work. I stopped going to that gas station. Dont bum cigs either. If you smoked outside vape inside whenever you can. I forced my self to Vape at times when I would always smoke instead. Its hard but it gets easier.

VNeil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 30, 2014
    Ocean City, MD
    I sometimes do "vape shots"... extra heavy nic doses, just a few puffs. For me, up to 50mg (I DIY so I can do that). For you whatever makes sense or how adventurous you feel :) I do it just for fun; I don't get cravings anymore, and often vape 0mg for good parts of the day. But knowing what I know now, if I were quitting again I would have a spare tank loaded up with some "shots", or have a dripper handy. To fight the cravings. I do it through a dripper (usually at fairly modest power) just so I don't have to mess with a dedicated tank. I follow it up in the dripper with pure VG (usually 0mg) to get the nic level in the dripper back down.

If you feel like your vape is missing something you crave, do some research on WTA. That is a juice that would get mixed into your regular juice, maybe somewhere around 10% or so (you would find your best level). Some people even set up a separate tank with WTA spiked juice. It would be something similar to my high nic vape shots.

WTA Refill Liquids | E-Cigarette Forum

WTA is expensive, and one more thing to wean off of, and you can only buy it online at a few places. I would suggest that as a last resort, but if you are ready to throw in the towel and relapse it would be a good idea. Personally I would buy a 1 oz bottle now and stick it in the freezer, with a "break glass in case of emergency" sign hanging around the bottle neck. You don't want to relapse waiting for your WTA to arrive.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    I think if your goal is to quit smoking, you will do the "cut over" when you're ready. Like others have said, you have to want to do it.

Also, there's no one rule or way. But if "paralleling" and "smoking reduction->quitting" doesn't work for you, you'll have to pick a date and cut-over.

It's on you. Sorry. That's the bad news. YOU have to decide. And if one way doesn't work...don't quit quitting. Try another.

I can tell you a few things about it. I can also tell you how I did it. (Been 5 years now)

A few notes first:
    1) Realize that by vaping AND smoking, you get COMBINED RISK. If there's any additional risk from vaping that's not in smoking, even if minor, and you're still smoking too....there's combined risks. That's not necessarily great unless your goal is to quit fairly soon. The debate is if the reduced smoking lowers your risks any and 'offsets' any vaping risks. And the vaping risks are a bit undefined. We know it's better/lower, but I don't know of anyone that things it is risk-free.
    2) Tobacco has many properties...they work in combination with the nic. By switching to vaping (or any NRT type nic) you don't get the exact same feeling as with smoking. Because it's "just nic".
    3) All legitimate indications are that normal vaping is lower risk. So it's worthwhile to pursue quitting smoking. Your instincts are good that you should.

OK. One method that worked for me:
    Step 1: Parallel for a while like you're doing. A few weeks maybe. This let's you build your vaping knowledge and gives you a "security blanket" that you won't be without a working system. Get some spares. Make sure whatever devices and juices you are using work for you. Don't be scared of the nic...you don't have to reduce the nic right away.
    Step 2: Set a quit-date. For me it was saying "this last carton of cigs are the last cigs I will ever buy." I stuck to it. I paralleled for a while and stretched out the cigs, but the last smoke was the last smoke.
    Step 3: Quit. Vape only. Ask any other smokers that live with you if they could please smoke outside for a month.

Around week 2 or 3 was the hardest. It takes a while to detox from tobacco smoking. You may get some TEMPORARY side-effects and withdrawal beyond the nic. If you know what it is ahead of time, you can prepare yourself for it and push though it. It only lasted about a week for me. The worst of the cravings. The quit-zits. The minor sinus issues as my body went back to normal. Like I said, it didn't last long.

The biggest thing for me was not having any around, and not buying any. Get some gum or lozenges too if you're in a place where you can't smoke.

Other tips:
    Also note that vaping too much at night can keep you awake and give you "lucid dreams" if you have too much nic at night. So may want lower nic juice at night or reduce vaping just before bed.

Once you get a day under your belt, you'll want to make it two. After two, you "sure don't want to give up now! I've got TWO full days without smoking!" And then three, etc. The success builds up if you let it and count it.

If you trip up, start over. Don't beat yourself up, but don't rationalize it either. If your goal is to quit as you say...quit.

That doesn't mean you cant reduce your smoking first. That's fine if it works for you. For many though, it's hard to "cut over". It has to be a real goal for you.

As a last resort, there are liquids that are WTA juices that have tobacco alkaloids in them. These are some of the "missing things" with normal vaping. That may help if you find you cannot quit without them.

Good luck to you. I hope this helps. Please understand this is just one person's perspective and there's no 100% perfect way that works for everyone. Do what works for you and don't quit quitting. :)

zapped

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2009
    Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
    This is very real advice...not just some smart-.... reply. When you don't have any, you don't have any...but you have vaping.

Get ticked about all the taxes you are paying for cigs....etc.

Quoted for truth!

I bought a Provari for 180 bucks and knew I had to quit smoking for a couple of months. It was either that or face the wrath of the missus for spending so much money.

PennyLynn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 28, 2014
    Rockledge, FL, USA
    I just want to add that I'm in my mid-sixties, I smoked since I was a teenager, I never really wanted to quit...and yet I did it! I don't think anyone could be more addicted than I was. I still walk from room to room with my e-cig in my hand, but I did it.
    You can too.

gjam

Aug 29, 2015
    Climax, Ks.
    Nicotine is a three day kick but the muscle memory will stay with you for a long time. For me it was get a good Mod. I chose the Kangertech subox mini starter kit . it was reasonable priced and delivered a fantastic hit, held a good amount of juice and definitely satisfied my love for smoke and the muscle memory. It has been less than two months and I am cigg free and vaping 0% nicotine juice. I still get cravings when around other smokers but, my little mini box mod delivers the vaping power to get me over the humps and keeps me on tract. Good luck to you and find yourself a good mod that fits your hand and pocket while giving a satisfying smoking/vaping experience......................................G

Reactions: sreevesmk

Isabelle49

ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2015
    When I started vaping almost two months ago, I was at two packs a day. I knew my goal was to quit smoking, but didn't obsess or stress over that. I am still occasionally smoking, but I am down to about 5 cigs a day. At least once, I lit a cig and might have had a total of two puffs, picked up Vape and started vaping while the cig burned out in the ashtray. I didn't realize I had done this till a while later. Once after lunch I went outside to have a cig, didn't light it, but set it in the ashtray as if it were lit and started vaping while on the Internet. I forgot the cig was even there. I think my moving away from cigs is happening as I hoped, but the transition is easier since I am not focused on the "quitting" part. The quitting is just happening. I wish you the best.

BTW, living in an area prone to hurricanes, I will have my hurricane supply of cigs jut in case there is of power to charge my Evod.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread