Subtank mini guide for Toodle Puffers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
So I'm a toodle puffer. My normal set-up is a Joyetech Evic Easy and a Kayfun lite with unflavored liquid. The Evic Easy has a regulated 3.3 volt mode and an unregulated mode. I run the Kayfun (original V1) at 1.5 ohms, so I'm vaping at a whopping 7 watts.

Just on a whim, since I was ordering some supplies and stuff, I decided to try one of those new-fangled subtank minis...hey, it was on sale. This is my result after 2 days.

First, the .5 ohm was out of the question, so I primed and put in the 1.2 ohm OCC coil. Well, this was just not a good fit for me. The problem is, I think, the wire guage. I bet the coil is made from 24-26 guage wire. My 3.3 volts took forever to heat that wire. I had to hold the button down for 3-5 seconds to get any sizzle at all, and just couldn't get much vapor.

So, the next step is to try the rba base. This is very kayfun-like, and I built it the same way. Inspecting it, I found a burr on one of the juice channels, but filed that off with a needle file. I built a 1.8 ohm 30ga 2mm coil that turned out to be 2.0 ohm...oh, well close enough. Wicked it with my typical cotton ball and laid the tails across the deck.

I looked at the mouthpiece. Are you kidding me, looks like a tailpipe. Swapped to a favorite drip tip, turned the airflow to the lowest setting, and started vaping.

I've gone thru 2 tanks, and it's working great. Maybe better than my kayfuns. I'm going to try rebuilding the OCC coils for backups, and will likely get a couple more rba bases. The beauty may be how easy it will be to swap out the coil.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
The first thing I did when I got my Subtank Mini was swap out the tailpipe for a more restricted one. I have been constantly using the 1.2 ohm coils and love the flavor at this level. Coil wrapping is easy and I have rebuilt a few of the factory OCC's already. I saw a you tube video on the Vertical coil build for the Subtank Mini, and decided I would try to build the deck in this manner. Yesterday I saw a video of the "Kuro Koiler" and it makes building coils look even easier. I am considering going to the .5 coils for a while but honestly I am so satisfied with the 1.2 ohm coils I'm not in a rush.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
I've been using my aerotank coils in the subtank mini (I add another chimney cap to seal the interior shaft). I get better airflow than on the aerotank (but not as much as with the OCC coils), run at 1.5-1.8 ohms, and the flavor is twice as good as on the aero. Plus, I've got plenty of the older heads around and they are a cinch to rebuild... As for the "tailpipe" mouthpiece, all I can say is that it's better than the one on the v1 Atlantis tank--but that's not saying much.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I recently tried to rebuild the OCC coils. It is really similar to rebuilding a PT coil. I tried a couple of different builds but just couldn't get the same results as with the rba base...just weak vapor no matter what I do. I still really enjoy the rba base at 2.0 ohms and low wattage. I find I reach for it more often than my kayfuns. I will likely give up on the OCC heads and buy a few more rba bases. It will be nice to be able to quickly swap out the coils.

Reactions: GeorgeS

Robert Dean

May 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
So I'm a toodle puffer. My normal set-up is a Joyetech Evic Easy and a Kayfun lite with unflavored liquid. The Evic Easy has a regulated 3.3 volt mode and an unregulated mode. I run the Kayfun (original V1) at 1.5 ohms, so I'm vaping at a whopping 7 watts.

Just on a whim, since I was ordering some supplies and stuff, I decided to try one of those new-fangled subtank minis...hey, it was on sale. This is my result after 2 days.

First, the .5 ohm was out of the question, so I primed and put in the 1.2 ohm OCC coil. Well, this was just not a good fit for me. The problem is, I think, the wire guage. I bet the coil is made from 24-26 guage wire. My 3.3 volts took forever to heat that wire. I had to hold the button down for 3-5 seconds to get any sizzle at all, and just couldn't get much vapor.

So, the next step is to try the rba base. This is very kayfun-like, and I built it the same way. Inspecting it, I found a burr on one of the juice channels, but filed that off with a needle file. I built a 1.8 ohm 30ga 2mm coil that turned out to be 2.0 ohm...oh, well close enough. Wicked it with my typical cotton ball and laid the tails across the deck.

I looked at the mouthpiece. Are you kidding me, looks like a tailpipe. Swapped to a favorite drip tip, turned the airflow to the lowest setting, and started vaping.

I've gone thru 2 tanks, and it's working great. Maybe better than my kayfuns. I'm going to try rebuilding the OCC coils for backups, and will likely get a couple more rba bases. The beauty may be how easy it will be to swap out the coil.
The newer version comes with a 1.5 and a tighter draw for tootle puffers.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR

Wow, that's a great solution! I wish someone had suggested this a couple of months ago when I bought a subtank mini and just couldn't get it to work for me. I ended up trading it for a couple of Nautilus'. I may try it again and do what you did.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
I too had some fun with the rebuildable section of the Subtank yesterday and I too absolutely hate wide drip tips. I usually pull it out and replace it with one of my narrower Kanger tips.I really don't see the point of the wide drip tip. If you take it out and look at the top of the tank, the hole there is as narrow as the one on the aerotank or the geni... so what's the point of the wide mouthpiece.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I appreciate the post! I have been thinking about trying this tank, now I will. I didn't want to buy something i would not use if I didn't like to subohm. Now I know it can be used for my tootie puffing I'll pull the trigger.

I think it's incredible how things go.

Kanger finally made a proper rebuildable coil head;
it was the right thing to do because people all over the world have be rebuilding the kanger protank type heads for years

But somehow they decided to name it the 'subtank' and people think it is for something called 'subohm'.

The good thing about the subtank has nothing to do with subohm at all; it's all about the RBA head and the option to buy prefab heads if you want.

The subtank plus a pack of 5 or 10 rba heads and you're basically fixed for life with no need to buy replacement coil heads.

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
Hey maybe somebody can help here so I don't start a while thread for this. I have 3 subtanks that I love, I just use the premade .5 occs. Today I finally decided to give the rba a shot with the included coils and cotton. It's pretty awesome but I have a strange issue. At first it read at .6 ohms, but seems like every time I take a pull it fluctuates from .6 all the way up to 1.2ohms. I've never had this with the prebuilt ones. It's vaping fantastic, great flavor and vapor, just don't understand why the resistance would fluctuate like this. I just checked out reads a solid .6 in my isticks, goes all over the place on my mvp, .6 on my evic vt. So maybe it's something with my mvp I guess? But then why wouldn't it happen with the prebuilt occs? Very strange.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I recently tried to rebuild the OCC coils. It is really similar to rebuilding a PT coil. I tried a couple of different builds but just couldn't get the same results as with the rba base...just weak vapor no matter what I do. I still really enjoy the rba base at 2.0 ohms and low wattage. I find I reach for it more often than my kayfuns. I will likely give up on the OCC heads and buy a few more rba bases. It will be nice to be able to quickly swap out the coils.

YES !!!! That's exactly what the subtank is for!!!
You get a few rba heads,
they are designed to be rebuilt properly,
you get the convenience of swapping out a coil and get back to what you're doing irl
and you can rebuid/clean/dryburn/rewick the coils when it's convenient to you

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Hey maybe somebody can help here so I don't start a while thread for this. I have 3 subtanks that I love, I just use the premade .5 occs. Today I finally decided to give the rba a shot with the included coils and cotton. It's pretty awesome but I have a strange issue. At first it read at .6 ohms, but seems like every time I take a pull it fluctuates from .6 all the way up to 1.2ohms. I've never had this with the prebuilt ones. It's vaping fantastic, great flavor and vapor, just don't understand why the resistance would fluctuate like this. I just checked out reads a solid .6 in my isticks, goes all over the place on my mvp, .6 on my evic vt. So maybe it's something with my mvp I guess? But then why wouldn't it happen with the prebuilt occs? Very strange.

post screws need tightening.
when you fire the coil, the posts warm up, thermal expansion and wetness causes reduced electrical contact.

tighten the post screws when they are hot/warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread