Super T's "I Dropped the Ball" Mystery Mod Giveaway Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I invite you to try it when your Strata arrives; I do have a day job :)

Glad it's working for you snork!

I am using Koh Gen Do cotton. The stuff is phenomenal and defiantly worth a look if you're not already hip to it. I have always boiled and rinse my cotton multiple times with distilled water, even the "100% Organic". I always seem to pick up on a slight soap or lotion fragrance. Not the Koh Gen Do, good to go right out the gate. Uniform and continuous fiber orientation as well.

I will name it if the build lasts a week w/o major revision.

I'd like to try that Koh Gen Do, where does one get it?

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
A video of me blithering for 20 minutes while I build a Pedestrian 1.4 ohm single coil with 1mm Ekowool and 29 gauge Kanthal.
It's a great vape.
No script, no edits, one take - so forgive the inevitable mishaps and tediousness.

Didn't want you to think I missed your video Snork, thanks for taking the time to do it up "Snork" style no less :)

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
I invite you to try it when your Strata arrives; I do have a day job :)

Glad it's working for you snork!

I am using Koh Gen Do cotton. The stuff is phenomenal and defiantly worth a look if you're not already hip to it. I have always boiled and rinse my cotton multiple times with distilled water, even the "100% Organic". I always seem to pick up on a slight soap or lotion fragrance. Not the Koh Gen Do, good to go right out the gate. Uniform and continuous fiber orientation as well.

I will name it if the build lasts a week w/o major revision.

I don't know if this is common, but the one thing I don't like about cotton in the limited times I've used it is that it seems to diminish throat hit. The cotton I got this morning is no exception. Is it just me? I have two Stratas running right now. One with your loop and one with my long ekowool coil. I much prefer the feel of silica rather than cotton.

Cucco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA
Sephora (talk about some good lookin gals.. I was defiantly out of my element when I walked into that place though, lol) or the inter-webs (Amazon ect.)

"Koh Gen Do Pure Cotton"

Is it pads? Never tried pads before. I use sheets of rolled cotton. I will try this. Thanks for the info! :)

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
I don't know if this is common, but the one thing I don't like about cotton in the limited times I've used it is that it seems to diminish throat hit. The cotton I got this morning is no exception. Is it just me? I have two Stratas running right now. One with your loop and one with my long ekowool coil. I much prefer the feel of silica rather than cotton.

Ok, last post for today. I do have work to get done.

Snork, my best guess is that there is more uniform wire saturation with cotton, especially with a single wrap; then too boot the heat exchanger in the TC. In theory the TC should pre-heat the incoming air, however @ ~ one ohm that TC is a big chunk of SS; you would have to chain vape yourself silly to notice it.

Try a wire w/ non-uniform surface: twisted 32 or Magic Mundy wire (twisted ribbon), ect.

You can also adjust the height of the wire. The kanthal should always be at or above the air flow (inside the TC); the further up the kanthal is the more TH there will be.

Barefoot Joe

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2009
Grand Cayman
I just tried the build that MattyB1503 posted on my 18350 Simplicity. Seemed like it was going to work great with test fires. When I put the top back on to vape, I noticed the heat. I was able to unscrew the Strata pretty quickly. To my surprise, I had a very hot battery. I don't think I had a short, but who knows? I didn't test the resistance before firing, but I did use 28 gauge Kanthal, so I figured it would be greater than the .75 ohms. Thought I better post those results pretty quickly. In the event that anyone else tries on their 18350, be careful please.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
I just tried the build that MattyB1503 posted on my 18350 Simplicity. Seemed like it was going to work great with test fires. When I put the top back on to vape, I noticed the heat. I was able to unscrew the Strata pretty quickly. To my surprise, I had a very hot battery. I don't think I had a short, but who knows? I didn't test the resistance before firing, but I did use 28 gauge Kanthal, so I figured it would be greater than the .75 ohms. Thought I better post those results pretty quickly. In the event that anyone else tries on their 18350, be careful please.

Yes! I'm glad I figured out how to use my multimeter finally. When we're trying new things (like straight pieces of wire:) ) we'd best be careful. I was surprised mine was 1ohm, I imagined it would be less. When we're flying by the seat of our pants there are so many variables which haven't been encountered before.

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA

Yes, good point.

And I should be clear here: I have not posted an effective wire length.

In theory if I recommend a wire length I can also call out a target resistance, but even then it will still be an approximation. That's what that squiggly line means, "~", approximate.

I personally don't take an AW IMR 350 below 0.80 ohms, and never mess with Efest ect.

Please meter your builds. Just because I hit ~.75 does not mean you will.

Vape Safe :)

Last edited:

TheToxic_jon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
SoCal
Thanks for the awesome video toxic_jon! Any chance you could send me the video file so I can convert it to youtube? If so, send file to supertmanufacturing@yahoo.com

seems i can't send a file that large threw email but i am uploading it to youtube, when i am done i will link it to you.
and thanks

vaptamist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
FL
Yes, good point.

And I should be clear here: I have not posted an effective wire length.

In theory if I recommend a wire length I can also call out a target resistance, but even then it will still be an approximation. That's what that squiggly line means, "~", approximate.

I personally don't take an AW IMR 350 below 0.80 ohms, and never mess with Efest ect.

Please meter your builds. Just because I hit ~.75 does not mean you will.

Vape Safe :)

I tried this build out with 30g Kanthal. Mine's about 1 ohm. Liking it a lot, and was surprisingly easy to build.

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Just pressed the fire button.

Firing

Not firing

In the last three pics I can defiantly see some Strata-ness going on at the top, however as cool as it is I'm kinda more interested in what going on down below the kanthal. I want to vape on this for ~ a week, and then I'll get back to the "how to" build pics.

This is the world's simplest coil and I'm using it right now and it's kicking out vapor like crazy.

.6Ω here.

Just wow. Build coil: connect positive to negative in roughly circular shape (I wrapped it around a battery to form it), that's pretty much it.

Please with gigantor juice well or tank next revision, at least 3mL with options for Moar. I don't even really like drippers, hybrids, whatever the Strata is, I just got this thing to match the P+ and it's awesome.

David you should delete any reference to your original coils used for testing, and point out that obviously you designed it this way on purpose :vapor:. Seriously, really really really new people who are afraid of rebuildables, could build this coil the first time and it'd work pretty well. It's an "expert" atty in the sense that a differently-abled, blind person could build a coil on it and get good results the first time.

This was fun. First time with the DID was really not, only took me 2 weeks to get something going, another 3 months to get something going that I actually liked to vape, and I'm not dissing the DID, I mostly love the thing, got 2 and a TNS, because they match the P+ so well, but it was frustrating like crazy to get it working the first time. Strata is dead simple to get going, no doubt I'll spend forever optimizing it, but I like it very much. Thanks!

Last edited:

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
This is the world's simplest coil and I'm using it right now and it's kicking out vapor like crazy.

.6Ω here.

Just wow. Build coil: connect positive to negative in roughly circular shape (I wrapped it around a battery to form it), that's pretty much it.

Please with gigantor juice well or tank next revision, at least 3mL with options for Moar. I don't even really like drippers, hybrids, whatever the Strata is, I just got this thing to match the P+ and it's awesome.

David you should delete any reference to your original coils used for testing, and point out that obviously you designed it this way on purpose :vapor:. Seriously, really really really new people who are afraid of rebuildables, could build this coil the first time and it'd work pretty well. It's an "expert" atty in the sense that a differently-abled, blind person could build a coil on it and get good results the first time.

This was fun. First time with the DID was really not, only took me 2 weeks to get something going, another 3 months to get something going that I actually liked to vape, and I'm not dissing the DID, I mostly love the thing, got 2 and a TNS, because they match the P+ so well, but it was frustrating like crazy to get it working the first time. Strata is dead simple to get going, no doubt I'll spend forever optimizing it, but I like it very much. Thanks!

Wow, thanks for the kind words. I'm really pleased to hear you got it up and running so quickly and that its really performing for you. That single strand of coil is a good fit as it really takes advantage of the 360 airflow. I'm going to try a single strand like pictured, only with some ribbon wire and i'll let you know how it goes!

TheToxic_jon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
SoCal
SAM_0097.jpg.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread