Super T's "I Dropped the Ball" Mystery Mod Giveaway Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
Sephora (talk about some good lookin gals.. I was defiantly out of my element when I walked into that place though, lol) or the inter-webs (Amazon ect.)

"Koh Gen Do Pure Cotton"

Thanks for the tip! Going to try some for myself. I don't mind boiling the pharmacy stuff, but if I can avoid it I will. I definitely don't enjoy those first few hits if I don't boil though so if ko gen do saves me the trouble I figure it is worth the extra cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
So a quick update: For now I'm calling it a coil-less build; but I think that applies to a whole genre, just like micro, mini and macro coils.

Official name and possibly build pics coming; it's really that easy though: connect at the positive, wrap to ground, meter, pulse, wick, drip, vape.

^ Two strands of 29 gauge and a piece of .8 x .1mm ribbon, twisted; a riff on Leo Shim's "Tiger Wire".

^ Metering at ~ 0.25 ohms.

^ Is it a bit more clear now, what is going on below the kanthal...

Sorry, best pics I can get right now. I really have nothing to say except I think the vapor production is fine :laugh:

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
So a quick update: For now I'm calling it a coil-less build; but I think that applies to a whole genre, just like micro, mini and macro coils.

Official name and possibly build pics coming; it's really that easy though: connect at the positive, wrap to ground, meter, pulse, wick, drip, vape.

^ Two strands of 29 gauge and a piece of .8 x .1mm ribbon, twisted; a riff on Leo Shim's "Tiger Wire".

Sorry, best pics I can get right now. I really have nothing to say except I think the vapor production is fine :laugh:

I really like how you are pushing the envelope and trying new things, it is what I had envisioned when I created the Strata: flexibility, versatility and limitless possibility . Sadly, some didn't see that vision, but I think they will come around in time :)

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran

I really like how you are pushing the envelope and trying new things, it is what I had envisioned when I created the Strata: flexibility, versatility and limitless possibility . Sadly, some didn't see that vision, but I think they will come around in time. I take some responsibility for that as in hindsight, I should have allowed the beta testing to go a few more weeks to allow the testers to fine tune their combinations for the Strata prior to release, but lesson learned.

Last edited:

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
I really like how you are pushing the envelope and trying new things, it is what I had envisioned when I created the Strata: flexibility, versatility and limitless possibility . Sadly, some didn't see that vision, but I think they will come around in time. I take some responsibility for that as in hindsight, I should have allowed the beta testing to go a few more weeks to allow the testers to fine tune their combinations for the Strata prior to release, but lesson learned.

I'm sorry Dave, but I refuse to "push the envelope" to .25Ω. That is really pushing it IMO, and asking for trouble. Condoning builds that low in resistance is not something I would support, but that's just me, and people can do whatever they want. Hopefully someone doesn't try that on a battery that cannot handle it. I built coil setup last night into the .4Ω realm on a 30amp battery, and things started getting a little hot, switch, top cap etc… Not to my liking. Anything >.8Ω is OK here (for me), but I prefer ~1Ω. Other then one build, I have not been real happy with my endeavors with the Strata to this point, and unfortunately haven't recreated that build.

I thought you were going to post a video showing airflow with a clear top cap? I am looking forward to that, as it may give me some idea as to better coil placement.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
That's why I mentioned leaving gaps. It would be similar in ways to what they are referring to as a Dragon coil - that coil is completely covered except for one end and it appears to work VERY well.

The "dragon" coil still requires airflow, typically in those builds the air flow is through the center of the coil with wick around the outside of the coil. I'll be very curious to hear your results :)

I'm going to try a single strand like pictured, only with some ribbon wire and i'll let you know how it goes!

It certainly works, I did that last week with some 0.5mm ribbon. Can't remember what it came out to resistance-wise, but it was lower than I was comfortable with on an 18350. Now that I have my ELA version I'll give that another go when I get a chance

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
I am too busy to respond to multiple posts in the vein of "is this safe" or "I would never..."; however I can not stress this enough: it is the end users sole responsibly to build within the respective limits of their batteries. I consistently vape at 0.20 - 0.30 ohms using Sony VTC4s or 26650s , that is my vaping pace.

That being said the coil-less build I have posted can be made with a resistance ranging from ~ 1.0 - 0.2 ohm and you have the freedom to build it the way you like, or even riff off it and come up with your own variation.

After I have had some time with the build I will post my thoughts on it.

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm sorry Dave, but I refuse to "push the envelope" to .25Ω. That is really pushing it IMO, and asking for trouble. Condoning builds that low in resistance is not something I would support, but that's just me, and people can do whatever they want. Hopefully someone doesn't try that on a battery that cannot handle it. I built coil setup last night into the .4Ω realm on a 30amp battery, and things started getting a little hot, switch, top cap etc… Not to my liking. Anything >.8Ω is OK here (for me), but I prefer ~1Ω. Other then one build, I have not been real happy with my endeavors with the Strata to this point, and unfortunately haven't recreated that build.

I thought you were going to post a video showing airflow with a clear top cap? I am looking forward to that, as it may give me some idea as to better coil placement.

Dumb question here, I'm running Strata with .4-.5Ω coils on an unprotected 18650, it's the red IMR 1600mAh which I think is good for 24amps. Any potential problem with this? The only issues I've had were the tube getting warm once, but this was the coil falling apart/getting bent out of shape and shorting on the top cap, after unscrewing the top cap one time too many.

I'm really liking the single, simple, circular coil, @MattyB1503 is the wisest person who ever lived for the past few days in my life anyway. Awesome results from that coil for me.

I've tried the orange Menke batts and it was not a life-changing experience for me, would the Sony VTC4 18650 bring me true happiness?

Last edited:

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA

That's how we do it in Cali.

I try to stay out of the lime lite; however in this case I felt the build needed to be posted, it was just too simple a solution.

I'll be the first to admit it is by no means the end all be all but I think we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
Dumb question here, I'm running Strata with .4-.5Ω coils on an unprotected 18650, it's the ICR 1600mAh which I think is good for 24amps. Any potential problem with this? The only issues I've had were the tube getting warm once, but this was the coil falling apart/getting bent out of shape and shorting on the top cap, after unscrewing the top cap one time too many.

I'm really liking the single, simple, circular coil, @MattyB1503 is the wisest person who ever lived for the past few days in my life anyway. Awesome results from that coil for me.

ehhhh, ICR. I would encourage you to do a bit more checking into on those batteries. They can be not so safe if they do vent. Sony VTC4's and especially VTC3's are pretty cheap right now because the VTC5 is already out.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran

Morning Jollyrogers, I think we had a misunderstanding, by push the envelope, I was referring to experimenting with wick/wire combo's and positions, not batteries or resistances. As always, be safe and follow manufacturers battery recommendations! On the video, the see thru polycarbonate cap I have is just too small to show up well on video as its so small in the chamber. I've constructed a larger mock up with 3" clear polycarbonate tubing which will aide the visual much better. Hope to have it up soon.

Vape on!

David

Last edited:

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Morning Jollyrogers, I think we had a misunderstanding, by push the envelope, I was referring to experimenting with wick/wire combo's and positions, not batteries or resistances. As always, be safe and follow manufacturers battery recommendations! On the video, the see thru polycarbonate cap I have is just too small to show up well on video as its so small in the chamber. I've constructed a larger mock up with 3" clear polycarbonate tubing which will aide the visual much better. Hope to have it up soon.

Vape on!

David

David,
Don't want to sound like I'm stirring the pot....but...you know the issue isnt going to be difiniatively be put to bed unless you have some sort of vacuum drawing the air through the mouthpiece.....and some way of coloring the air/smoke/vapor so that it's flow can be seen all the way from point of entry to exit....since the argument was about what the air did before hitting the coil(s) and how it did...

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
David,
Don't want to sound like I'm stirring the pot....but...you know the issue isnt going to be difiniatively be put to bed unless you have some sort of vacuum drawing the air through the mouthpiece.....and some way of coloring the air/smoke/vapor so that it's flow can be seen all the way from point of entry to exit....since the argument was about what the air did before hitting the coil(s) and how it did...

Yes, there will be vacuum through the tip, unlike the test out there now which incorrectly shows vapor under pressure, rather then vacuum which is how RDA/RBA's work, results are completely different as you probably already can guess.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I'm still amazed that this needs to be done. I'm sure most people would agree that water sucked up through a straw behaves completely different from water blown out of a straw.

I know, I'm baffled too, but in reading the 200+ comments on that video, it seems many don't know and have taken that test as gospel without question...

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
I'm still amazed that this needs to be done. I'm sure most people would agree that water sucked up through a straw behaves completely different from water blown out of a straw.

Competently baffling to me as well. I don't hold reviews in the same regard as manufactures, as they just comment on other peoples work; but, I do hold them to the same standard. If you are going to comment or post a demonstrative video you better have an explicit understanding of what it is you're talking about. Not some half cocked, half baked conscience.

Not only has the Strata been misrepresented, but those that have bumped their gums without due diligence really run the risk of looking quite foolish.

If you think about it in a logical way, the TC is a closed system when threaded onto the deck (four inlets, one outlet). So, where is it in that tiny top cap that people are thinking the air is going?

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
I am truly interested in David's demonstration of airflow, as I would like to get a better idea to hopefully get a decent non sub ohm build. After many attempts, and 1 acceptable build, I have all but given up on this atomizer otherwise :( However, I don't want to because I dropped a lot of coin for the setup and also remember my first genisis experiences and the failures I had back when Raidy started showing his builds.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
I am truly interested in David's demonstration of airflow, as I would like to get a better idea to hopefully get a decent non sub ohm build. After many attempts, and 1 acceptable build, I have all but given up on this atomizer otherwise :( However, I don't want to because I dropped a lot of coin for the setup and also remember my first genisis experiences and the failures I had back when Raidy started showing his builds.
What sort of coils are you building? I'm getting pretty good at this; I just set up my ELA Strata with a long silica coil like in my video (except it took ten minutes instead of 20) with 30g ~1.1 ohms, and it's so good I'd like to hand it to Scott Bonner and have him try to not say it's the best vape he's ever had.

OnTheFidele

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
I can't stress this enough to you guys having trouble with coils. As Snork has implied in his posts:
To master throat-hit/vapor/flavor, one has to master airflow.

For example, you will notice a marked difference (good or bad) between an "airblade" setup (fairly tightly capped with tight draw) and an "open" setup (more loosely capped with airy draw). This is because the air behaves differently depending on the conditions.

Including the above example, here's an incomplete list of variables you must consider to adapt yourself to the more customizable platform that is the Strata (vs. conventional RBAs):
-"Airblade" vs. "Open" draw
-Exposure of coils to the airholes
-Vectors that the air travels
-Coil positioning with reference to the vectors
-Surface area of coils
-Positioning of wicking material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread