Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Or, maybe it's a psychological problem akin to my own: if I have no cigarettes in the house at all, I go completely bananas -- panic, rage, etc -- and I'm pretty sure that would still be true, though I haven't smoked in 9 months. I've kept my last open pk in a ziplock in the freezer ever since I quit, and I may keep those tobaccocicles forever. For me, it's all about my personal choices. I choose to vape, and not to smoke, but if the choice is removed, even by the simple fact of having no cigarettes available, that enrages me, and the first thing I want is to go get some cigarettes, and then to smoke them, to prove that I make my own choices. As long as I have a choice, then I choose vaping, not smoking. But nobody better take that choice away from me.

So maybe don't throw them away; just put them away in a place where you won't encounter them in the regular course of affairs, so you don't get reminded willy-nilly, but you'll still know they're available if you REALLY NEED them. That might make all the difference.

Andria

Reactions: wheelie

CardinalWinds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
Vermont, USA
  • Deleted by DreamWithin
  • Reason: inappropriate

sc12

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
USA
Or, maybe it's a psychological problem akin to my own: if I have no cigarettes in the house at all, I go completely bananas -- panic, rage, etc -- and I'm pretty sure that would still be true, though I haven't smoked in 9 months. I've kept my last open pk in a ziplock in the freezer ever since I quit, and I may keep those tobaccocicles forever.
You may be on to something there. I haven't removed the two packs I have in the freezer or the empty pack on my desk. If I did, maybe I would go bananas too. Not sure I want to test that theory so I'll probably have those packs forever.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Or, maybe it's a psychological problem akin to my own: if I have no cigarettes in the house at all, I go completely bananas -- panic, rage, etc -- and I'm pretty sure that would still be true, though I haven't smoked in 9 months. I've kept my last open pk in a ziplock in the freezer ever since I quit, and I may keep those tobaccocicles forever. For me, it's all about my personal choices. I choose to vape, and not to smoke, but if the choice is removed, even by the simple fact of having no cigarettes available, that enrages me, and the first thing I want is to go get some cigarettes, and then to smoke them, to prove that I make my own choices. As long as I have a choice, then I choose vaping, not smoking. But nobody better take that choice away from me.

So maybe don't throw them away; just put them away in a place where you won't encounter them in the regular course of affairs, so you don't get reminded willy-nilly, but you'll still know they're available if you REALLY NEED them. That might make all the difference.

Andria
this lol now I know how

dmwalker24

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Little Elm, TX
I live with someone who smokes and actually says... "You want a cigarette?" I quit for almost 6 months a while back and then the urge you mentioned grabbed hold of me and I couldn't stop it. And part of me didn't want to fight the urge. A lot of us here are still trying to get truly smoke free, and I know we can if we just take it one step at a time. Setbacks really suck, but you just get back to the vape flavors you love and focus on all the things about being smoke free that are so good.

Reactions: AndriaD

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I relapsed this morning after 93 days.

I don't even understand why/how. I have so much gear/juice that it doesn't even make any sense. I just had this huge urge to go buy some and I did, and I had two of them. It was like I'd never even stopped.

I am so guilty right now that I can't even face anyone I know. I don't understand why this would even cross my mind after 3 months...much less actually do it. I mean, there are several steps...drive, spend money, drive back, smoke.

Very unhappy.

You've got some great advice already LiquidElectron and I totally agree with everyone who said don't beat yourself up about this. Hold your head high, you went back to vaping full time and that's what really matters :thumbs:

When I switched I had smoke pangs for months. My plan was to vape through them, chain vaping if I had to and that kept me going. Made myself nic sick a few times so I dropped my nic level from 18 mg to 15mg (mixed 18 and 12) so it didn't happen so quickly when chain vaping. I also kept some 18 mg and some 12 for when those were appropriate.

Everyone is different, for me it took about 4 or 5 months until I realized the pangs were much less frequent and it took a bit over a year for the cigarette addiction to really be gone and by then I had weaned off nicotine too.

So you have an opportunity to learn from your experience now. Plan ahead for the next time you get a strong urge to smoke and then work that plan. I used chain vaping. You can also have a higher nic juice on hand, a lower nic juice so you can vape like a fiend for a while without getting nic sick, go do something that will take your mind off it, call a supportive friend, post here, whatever you think will work for you :)

Keep up the good work, you're doing great!

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
I've bought a pack of smokes off and on the 3 years I have been vaping - it's tough. What I have done in the past - buy a pack. You know you tear into the pack before you get back to the car - jump in your seat and fire it up. Took 2 full lung hits - as that's how I vape - then coughed to the point of blowing snot out of my eyeballs....Then I tuck the pack under my car seat - and let them sit. By the time I thought I needed another smoke - they were good and stale and that taste keeps me from going back to smoking - and the smell...OMG the smell....

Dont be hard on yourself - you will find your way with no shame or excuses!

Also - when hubby and I first got serious about vaping and not smoking he set us up a "smoke pot" - it's a money pot we would throw "cig money" in when we thought we wanted to buy another carton of smokes...easy way to stash money for vape goodies! You would be surprised how fast and how much you can horde away :)

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Compared to how many you would have smoked had you not quit in the first place, that's not bad. You fell off the horse? So what? Get back on, and keep riding.
Here's a little trick (extreme one, at that) that my uncle did. Every time he felt the need to smoke, he would leave his lighter at home, drive to the store, pick up a pack, come home, and run the cigarettes under water. He eventually learned that a mere $5 adds up.

Reactions: MsLoud

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Three months was about the same time as my relapse. Mine was semi planned. I was having problems with flavors...everything tasted awful...and I was struggling with nic level...too high, too low...couldn't tell.

So I just went outside a smoked a couple, just to try to figure things out. Turns out I really (like eyes roll back in your head) really liked those 2 cigarettes. I knew right then and there that I couldn't do that again.

After 2 years I had a cigar. Bleeeekkkk. Sooner or later that love of tobacco disappears. Maybe not the cravings, I still get those, but you may find you can no longer stand the taste.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
You may be on to something there. I haven't removed the two packs I have in the freezer or the empty pack on my desk. If I did, maybe I would go bananas too. Not sure I want to test that theory so I'll probably have those packs forever.
Sheila you're not tempted by the pack on the desk? I couldn't have them in my face like that.

57chilicat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2011
McKinney, TX
When you fall off the horse, get back on! You have done a wonderful job on all the cigs you didn't smoke! The three month mark got me too and many others! Just get back to your vaping and know that this will be a thought in the past when we join you in the future for your one year vapeversary!
We will be here for ya!

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Liquid it might seem like a big thing but it really isn't and certainly not to the point of feeling bad about it. We have all had times where a cigarette just seems easier and simpler or just stress moments where our normal response to reach for our ecigs fails us and we revert back to that habit we had for years. Two in three months your doing good and it's a tiny blip in the vaping cosmos so relax, remember how bad they tasted and progress no point beating yourself up over it.

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
I relapsed this morning after 93 days.

I don't even understand why/how. I have so much gear/juice that it doesn't even make any sense. I just had this huge urge to go buy some and I did, and I had two of them. It was like I'd never even stopped.

I am so guilty right now that I can't even face anyone I know. I don't understand why this would even cross my mind after 3 months...much less actually do it. I mean, there are several steps...drive, spend money, drive back, smoke.

Very unhappy.
Addiction: cunning, baffling, powerful. Been there, done that, got the t-shirts. It's good that you feel so bad about it, it means you're really motivated to quit. It's even better you came here to talk about it. Best of all is all the people here who care and know what you're going through. If quitting smoking was easy the tobacco companies would be out of business. Vaping makes it easier, but it doesn't make it easy.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I have a feeling if I let myself have one that I'll still enjoy it :|

But, honestly, don't beat yourself up. I don't think having two cigarettes is a big deal, really. Just like if you're on a diet and eat a candy bar. Depriving yourself can sometimes make cravings worse, which can lead to binging. If you want a cig that bad, have one, shrug it off, and don't think about it again. I have a feeling guilt and dwelling on it could lead to a full blown relapse.

And if you need help with finding a vape setup that makes you happier, feel free to PM for assistance. I help quite a few people here, especially with RTAs and mods. Some people are shy, or feel dumb posting newbie questions. No question is dumb to me :)

Reactions: WillyZee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread