Surgeon General Wants Your Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimDrock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2015
GA
Surprisingly I believe that this worked out in favor of vaping.

First of all, as metioned earlier, anyone who looks at all those Stories will clearly see that vaping is an excellent option to getting off of cigarettes, as I'm sure there will be some smokers who will be inspired to switch over just based on the sheer number of success stories.

And secondly, while the Surgeon General did not formally recongnize vaping as a way to quit, he did not (as a high ranking government official) cast vaping in a negative light.

So IMHO, I see this as victory for vaping, albeit a small one, a vicorty none-the-less. :thumbs:

Last edited:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
The cynical part of me thinks it'll go something like this:

SG: I received many stories of people who no longer smoke and are very happy they don't. Very many stories. Here are 3 that I wish to highlight.

(None of which mention vaping)

Yay, my cynical side was pretty close to being right on this one.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Well, heck, Jman. :) Does that make all our submittals useless? I mean, do we just NOT respond to anything because we've figured out the WHY of the "evil intentions" of the fed. and state health depts.?

Am with JimDrock on this. Just keep plugging away responding to any and all articles and requests out there. After all, didn't the ANTZ get started way back in the 1950's and with small success by small success slowly worked their way into where we are today with smoking?

What the hay, Jman. For all we know, they "planted" the one they picked; but we did a good job in responding with positive vaping stories, let them know the "word" is getting out and we know what they're doing. Shoot, small successes can add up. :)

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
Well, heck, Jman. :) Does that make all our submittals useless? I mean, do we just NOT respond to anything because we've figured out the WHY of the "evil intentions" of the fed. and state health depts.?

Am with JimDrock on this. Just keep plugging away responding to any and all articles and requests out there. After all, didn't the ANTZ get started way back in the 1950's and with small success by small success slowly worked their way into where we are today with smoking?

What the hay, Jman. For all we know, they "planted" the one they picked; but we did a good job in responding with positive vaping stories, let them know the "word" is getting out and we know what they're doing. Shoot, small successes can add up. :)

Absolutely!!! We do need to stand strong, comment when possible and just plain ole spread the word that vaping can help many people with quitting smoking cigs, cigars, chew and it can also be very helpful for a number of stress related disorders as well as a sweet tooth placater (for me anyway). I did add my story but as soon as I read Jman's post I had to sadly agree. I actually thought it would go worse. At least the SG's comment about vapers was not terrible. And I didn't read any negative posts from anybody dismissing vapers views. All in all it wasn't either (terribly useful or useless) in my opinion.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Agreed, Jode. :) One of my reasons to constantly respond where I can is that I'm retired and don't get out much anymore; and when I do, it's usually vape related! I guess it's my only avenue of reaching a fair amount of people and hopefully educating them which actually might mean I'm reaching MORE people. Ha!

We have this mantra in our modern society......"If it saves just ONE person........" which so many of our nanny state policies/regulations are based on. Welp, we can use that too to give us the energy and determination to constantly respond to all the BS thrown around out there! :)

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Well, heck, Jman. :) Does that make all our submittals useless?

My cynical side would say "yes" to your question.

My mature side would say, "heck no." It's on Facebook for all to see, and to realize the reality of how people who are truly interested in cutting back or cutting out smoking can go about that in today's world.

If certain surgeon generals wish to ignore that for reasons that are quasi scientific and blatantly political, that's on them.

Vapers still going to vape, and be quite content in doing so.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
So we were right, and this was a crock of bovine effluent to start with. He brushes vaping aside and invalidates it summarily when it's by far the most effective way to get off the cigs. His agenda is clear.
I honestly have to wonder.... Maybe vaping is being brushed aside as a cessation device because it's simply trading one habit for another. (Don't get me wrong, I'd rather vape than smoke, and I smoked for 32 years) but it seems to me if you can judge what is written on this forum that most people while lowering their nicotine levels through vaping, it looks on the outside and I obviously have no facts, that most people continue to vape, where as when they use things like the patch (if it's successful for them) then when they're done, they're not still using the patch for the rest of their lives.

And yeah, some people are actually successful using the patch.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I honestly have to wonder.... Maybe vaping is being brushed aside as a cessation device because it's simply trading one habit for another. (Don't get me wrong, I'd rather vape than smoke, and I smoked for 32 years) but it seems to me if you can judge what is written on this forum that most people while lowering their nicotine levels through vaping, it looks on the outside and I obviously have no facts, that most people continue to vape, where as when they use things like the patch (if it's successful for them) then when they're done, they're not still using the patch for the rest of their lives.

And yeah, some people are actually successful using the patch.
It would be nice to have a survey to find out how many have actually quit vaping too. I started vaping over 3 years ago. Once my 2 sisters saw that it was working for me they decided to try. My oldest sister vaped for about 6 months. She no longer vapes and has absolutely no desire to go back to smoking. BTW: she had smoked for 30 years and up to 2 packs a day. My youngest sister still both smokes and vapes. Granted she does have a few problems (bi-polar) so it doesn't surprise me that it isn't a complete cessation method for her.

I still vape and expect to do so for the rest of my life. I never wanted to quit smoking. This is the perfect solution for me. I started out at 24mg nic. Quickly went down to 18mg and kept lowering my nic strength as my body let me know when it was to high. I vape different strengths for different flavors ie: 3.5 for my desserts and up to 15 for menthol's and various other flavors. I have been smoke free for 44 months and know that I will be from now on.

I didn't post on the FB page but did read all the posts. I was pleased to read so many success stories. I didn't expect the SG to take the stories at face value but at least he got an ear full and that is good. I hope there are lots of folks that read the stories and decide to give this miracle a chance for themselves. At this point in time the most we can do is keep the success stories out there for those that are thinking about giving this a chance.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
You betcha, Traijan! :) Gonna vape as long as I can....even if it is a "habit". I'm also gonna eat ice cream within reason even tho "pre diabetic" as long as I can. I'm going to die for one reason or another within 10.....20 yrs on the outside; and there's so many things physically I can't do anymore or medically frowned upon. Believe "old people" get depressed and grouchy because little by little they are limited as to what they can do and eat.

I won't jump out of an airplane nor climb Mt. Everest. I can promise you that. Ha! However, weighing enjoyment of life vs length of life, I think I'll grab at what I CAN do and the nanny people and do gooders can go hang! :)

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I am with you choo. I am on the downhill side of life myself and at this point of my lifetime I eat pretty much what I want, when I want and intend to vape for as long as I can lift the battery :D In the end we all breathe our last breath, why not enjoy the ride as long as we can without worrying about what is gonna get us in the end. Worrying is detrimental to your health :D

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Don't know about the wisedom of it, JimDrock; but have watched my older family members suffer through living to an advanced age and being denied what was pleasurable to them because of health reasons. Gad, they were unhappy people. It is my ferverent wish that I just drop dead one day.....with a potato chip in my mouth! Thank you for the kind words, JimDrock. :)

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
There you go, Mattiem. :) Somehow the joy in living is taken away from our senior citizens. I'm hoping the baby boomers will change that now that they're beginning their golden yrs.

Posted a novella ;) Don't know if it will get anyone's attention, but I spilled my guts.

I'm a "tail-end" Boomer, but I see so many of the generations ahead of me have doctors tell them, "Don't eat this or drink that, it's not good for you." Ya know, if one has achieved an advanced age, why deny oneself of "pleasures". None of us is guaranteed a tomorrow, and if I can "splurge in moderation", I'm going to.

JimDrock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2015
GA
Don't know about the wisedom of it, JimDrock; but have watched my older family members suffer through living to an advanced age and being denied what was pleasurable to them because of health reasons. Gad, they were unhappy people. It is my ferverent wish that I just drop dead one day.....with a potato chip in my mouth! Thank you for the kind words, JimDrock. :)

LOL, I love it, can I share that bag of chips? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread