Sweet Juice - Finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technobob

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
St Catharines, Ontario
I found a Canadian distributor of Stevia and they also sell flavor drops the ingredient list looks safe enough.

Ingredients: Stevia Concentrate Powder (High RebA content),purified water,Peach Extract,Vitamin C and potassium sorbate.

They carry 12 flavors and the price is fair, even if I can't use these for my juice they maybe nice to add to bottled water.

JG Group

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com

Technobob

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
St Catharines, Ontario

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Yeah, not all flavors need sweetening, but some do. My wife says that the recipe of Keoke Coffee and Chocolate Hazelnut definitely needed some sweetening. That's the reason I got this sweetener stuff - that mix would have been great if I could have added some sweetener. So I'll have to try it later, or tomorrow.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Well I didn't have much success with the Splendex tonight.

I made a batch of "Sweet PG" - 6 drops of Splendex in with 3ml of of PG. I then made a coffee blend that was fairly sure to be in need of sweetening. A mix of 3 coffee flavors, at about 20% flavoring with PG-based nic-juice to bring it to 2ml of ejuice, no VG at all. I vaped it a bit, 4 or 5 drops dripped, and it wasn't bad but could have used some sweetening.

I added 4 drops of Sweet PG, and vaped for a while (dripping), long enough to wash out the atomizer and make sure I was getting nothing but the new stuff. There was no discernable change. I added 10 more drops of the Sweet PG and vaped for a while - the taste was slightly weaker, but there was no discernable change in sweetness. So I added a full drop of Splendex to the remains of my coffee blend, probably 1.5ml at this point.

There was a change, but it still wasn't very sweet. It seemed to produce more vapor, but that could have been my imagination, or perhaps my Prodigy had achieved one of those "perfect vaping" moments. The taste of the coffee was reduced - though I could have been getting used to it by this point of the night. Nah, the flavor had reduced a bit. And there was perhaps a bit more bitterness.

So I added 2 more drops of Splendex. That killed it. It wasn't vaping much, it was more bitter, and the taste was reduced. The little batch went down the drain.

Looking back...

I think the first full drop of Splendex was a little too much, and that's why it turned a touch bitter. 1/3 or 1/2 drop would have been better, I think.

Sweet PG at 20 parts PG to 1 part Splendex is silly. 5-to-1 is probably a better point, and still easily measurable.

Sweet PG, period, is probably a waste of time. The Splendex bottle produces a mighty fine drop, and 1 drop of Splendex mixed into 4 or 5ml of ejuice is probably closer to ideal. But if you make 2ml test batches like I do, then a 5-to-1 Sweet PG makes sense.

My initial coffee mix probably wasn't correct, since it wasn't sweet but it certainly wasn't dull. It was, really, almost sweet enough. Perhaps a mix that is not sweet at all would be better, since this would allow the Splendex to change the sweetness considerably, thus making the difference more detectable.

I shall continue tomorrow. I think a batch with LorAnn Keoke Coffee will do it. If my memory serves, Keoke on it's own is fairly dull and seriously needs sweetening. I'll make a little 5-to-1 Sweet PG, so I can add a single drop that should add noticeable sweetening without reducing the flavor noticeably.

We'll see.

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
Well I didn't have much success with the Splendex tonight.

Hi, ya'all...

I asked one of the juice vendors few weeks ago about sweeteners for juice and he told me that stevia and saccharine both can become toxic if heated to a certain temperature, but he didn't know what the temperature was. He didn't say anything about Splendex, so maybe it's different, but since some of you were trying stevia, I thought I should mention it.

Not trying to rain on your parade, and I know you're using minute amount, but do make sure that what you're adding is safe.

I've been in the same boat wanting something much sweeter than any of the juices I've tried. I had bought some Lorann's flavorings at Hobby Lobby, but they never had the flavors that I hear will give us that really, really sweet taste. So, I finally ordered directly from Loranns and it makes a HUGE difference. The flavors I ordered to add sweetness are cheesecake, cotton candy, marshmallow and carmel.

I don't know what is in these, but they're definately worth ordering...right now I am vaping a candy apple flavor that I found in the recipes thread, and it is very good. It only took a small amount of Loranns apple and carmel, and it is every bit as sweet as the Vanilla Sweet Dreams I used to love.

Good luck w/finding the right taste...it has taken me months, and this is the first time I think I've found something I can really enjoy vaping. There's been a few that I thought were 'it', but this blows the rest away.:lol:

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Well I got my bottle in today, and my son insisted on tasting it LOL, one drop on his finger and he was like "man that is good" So I try it for myself. Taste like rock candy to me. 18 minutes later my mouth is still sweet. So one drop in to 10ml of Cherry Cheese cake. Wow nice, sweet after taste to it. So I would definantly not go more than one drop per 10 ml. I was looking for it to sweeten it a little and that is what it did. It is like adding 600 drops of sugar to your ejuice. WOW....
I like it!

Added:
Wow just had a thought, I think I will try one drop to my clove and see how that helps it :)

Added-d: :) Yay I now have a sweet clove vape!!!!!!!!! Yowza!

Dan

Last edited:

tony206

Moved On
Sep 25, 2009
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Liquid sucralose is another equivalent alternative (and is already in liquid form). It is pure sucralose (zero calories, zero carbs, no fillers). You can find it at a very competitive price at Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore! as the brand EZ Sweetz and it is a great sweetener. I use it in e-liquid as well as anything I sweeten. It is pure sucralose and a single drop will sweeten lots of e-juice.

I eliminated all sugar from my diet as of May 1st and use a combination of EZ Sweetz and erythritol (oh what an incredible sugar substitute w/out any negative side effects), since they are synergistic and every bit as good as sugar combined. Erythritol is an awesome product all by itself, but resists dissolving in liquids so it's not a good choice for vaping.

Technobob

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
St Catharines, Ontario
Liquid sucralose is another equivalent alternative (and is already in liquid form). It is pure sucralose (zero calories, zero carbs, no fillers). You can find it at a very competitive price at Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore! as the brand EZ Sweetz and it is a great sweetener. I use it in e-liquid as well as anything I sweeten. It is pure sucralose and a single drop will sweeten lots of e-juice.

I eliminated all sugar from my diet as of May 1st and use a combination of EZ Sweetz and erythritol (oh what an incredible sugar substitute w/out any negative side effects), since they are synergistic and every bit as good as sugar combined. Erythritol is an awesome product all by itself, but resists dissolving in liquids so it's not a good choice for vaping.

I would not use the liquid sucralose such as EZ Sweetz because it contains additional ingredients (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Succinic Acid, and Citric Acid) the powdered Splendex (sucralose) is pure with no added chemicals.

CZEdwards

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Republic of Boulder
You can also isolate the sucralose from Splenda -- it takes time, but not much else.

Here's the instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/How_To_Isolate_Splenda/?ALLSTEPS

But in short -- mix 10 grams of Splenda (about 10 packets) with 20 ml of ethanol (everclear). Allow the mixture to separate so the maltodextrin settles, then carefully pour off the liquid through filter paper (coffee filters work). Allow the alcohol to evaporate, or in our case, use the liquid as is.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I bought some Stevia liquid, it arrived the other day. I don't use sugar in my coffee, but wanted to try it....my cup is a big mug...I put three drops of Stevia into it with a pipette, and it was so sweet/bitter I couldn't stand it. So poured out some coffee, about a third (I know, that's pure sacrilage) filled it back up with coffee, still too sweet. So I did it again, now I'm down to one drop. It was still a little sweet, but wasn't bitter any more. Incredible. No carbs, no nothing, pure Stevia. They make this with sugar crystals in it too, can't think of the name, but it has a green label on a white box....Walmart grocery
Here's the link. Was expensive, $10 for a 2 0z bottle, but will last you the rest of your Life!

Here's another, pertaining to the FDA handling of this sweetener! Eye-opening!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread