Sweet Juice - Finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the feedback RyGuy. I just bought some from eBay. And after reading your testimonial, I am somewhat regretting it. :(Were these the same drops you used, in the link below? I Bought four of them. I noticed that Propylene Glycol was not an ingredient, unlike Capella's flavor drops.

Stevita Flavor Drops

Let us know if these are the ones you tried. Thanks

So I tried just a drop of Stevia in a 5ml batch that I just made and it didn't really do much for the flavor, so I got curious and dropped a drop of pure Stevia on a 901 Atty and...... BLECH! It was a horrible taste, kinda like smoking Opium taste wise. It is not at all the taste I was expecting and I will not be using stevia in any future batches. Though a fantastic natural sweetener for beverages, it does not fair well in high-temp situations.

Jormugandr

Nov 5, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Why does everyone keep saying stevia isn't allowed to be marketed as a sweetener? I see commercials for Truvia almost every day and that's just a name-brand stevia. Do they add some extra additives to comply with some weird FDA loophole or something?

God, I wish someone would do something about lobbyists. It should be so freakin' illegal for chemical and pham companies to lobby and influence the FDA. The FDA is supposed to police them, not the other way around. And don't get me started on the REST of the government.

Ron Paul should just call in his internet army and storm the capital building. :p

Reactions: cores

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
I posted this at the beginning of October:

"I purchased Stevita brand stevia drops. No other ingredients are listed on the bottle. It made everything taste like what a wet dog smells like. The amount I used was miniscule but it was enough to foul my atty to normal flavors. I had to rinse the atty repeatedly and then use a mint flavor to mask it."

It's really not worth the trouble of trying to get rid of the taste on your atty.

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
I have read and researched more on this and unfortunately can not find ANY type of sweetener that would be passable flavor wise or inhalant friendly... I figure if I need something with a bit more "sweet" add the closest flavor that is sweet w/o tampering w/ the flavor I am actually planning on vaping...
Until I get brave enough to try sugar dissolved in water and make my own syruppy sweetener and then dedicate one atty to it and see how I fair... Until I get brave enough to do that... I have loads of flavors and most I love just as is... The few that are a bit light on sweet I will mix w/ other liquids or use to pump up regular tobacco flavor...

HippyGirl

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2009
Alabama
OK, I've got to chime in here...

I used to manufacture low carb bake mixes, so I used pure sucralose powder obtained directly from the manufacturer. As I had a kilo of it, I also made/sold liquid sucralose, so I have some experience with the product.

I looked at the site selling Splendex and saw they also sell a liquid product, but I could not find anywhere on the site where they list their ingredients.

If any of you have purchased the liquid, please understand that liquid sucralose can go bad QUICKLY if not properly preserved...even if refrigerated. While I understand that a lot of people prefer to avoid preservatives, some food products simply MUST be preserved.

So, if anyone starts seeing little "floaties" or something that looks like tiny pieces of fibers in the liquid sucralose...TOSS IT!

Get the powder and mix your own in very small amounts by adding a tiny bit at a time into a small amount of water (say a tablespoon or so)...you'll be much safer in the end.

Just my .02.

HG

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
The sweetening effect from stevia is a molecule that contains this center:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Steviol.svg

From Wiki: Stevia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Steviol is the basic building block of stevia's sweet glycosides: Stevioside and rebaudioside A are constructed by replacing the bottom hydrogen atom with glucose and the top hydrogen atom with two or three linked glucose groups, respectively."

This makes stevia a HUGE molecule compared to other juices we normally vape. Not good...wouldn't a clue as to the BP. Solid at RT, probably a range of BPs well above 600 C (VG=290 C)...certainly higher than table sugar, and we aren't vaping that. Possibly under the high atty heat it loses the sugars hanging off the top O, and you get an organic alcohol that probably would smell of wet dog, because that is a relatively common odor of alcohols of this size. If the sugar hanging off the bottom O comes off, you have the acid, which is gonna be foul too! Either way you get free sugar, which if it caramelizes might catalyze above the reactions.

I want sweet too. This ain't the way, IMHO.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Why does everyone keep saying stevia isn't allowed to be marketed as a sweetener? I see commercials for Truvia almost every day and that's just a name-brand stevia. Do they add some extra additives to comply with some weird FDA loophole or something?

Truvia is made from an extract of stevia called erythritol, not from pure stevia. It HAS been approved for marketing as a "sugar substitute" aka "sweetener". Pure stevia has NOT been approved as a "sweetener" and can only be marketed legally as a "food additive". Do a web search on stevia and FDA. You'll quickly find the whole story. The Japanese have been using stevia as a sweetener since the 1970's, but we have only been hearing of it recently. Why do you think that is? :rolleyes:

TT33

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
Oooooh, sweet clove? Would this replicate the taste of the sugared papers I miss so much from Djarum Blacks? :)

On the stevia question...

Stevia (whole/extract) has indeed not been permitted for marketing as a sweetener by the FDA. Because it is "GRAS", Generally Recognized As Safe, it CAN be sold as a "dietary supplement", which leads to some of the funny wording you see on packages at health food stores ("as a dietary supplement, take two drops per 2 oz of liquid..." and whatnot).

The standards for a food vs. for a supplement are entirely different in the eyes of the FDA, thanks to the 1994 act that deregulated the whole supplement/vitamin/OTC industry.
Probably the only good reason for this is that stevia, being an herb, has a lot of different compounds we don't fully understand yet. Truvia is an extract of (I think) the rebaudosides, just one of the compounds in stevia, and one that was thoroughly tested for toxicity etc. (Erythritol is a commonly used sugar alcohol in low-carb sweets and has been added for bulk and to round out the sweet flavor. It is not a stevia product.)

To play FDA's-advocate... ;) While whole stevia herb/extract has been used for a long time in other countries, it's a general truism that tradition doesn't necessarily make safety.
(After all, long-time tradition does NOT equal total and utter safety in all dosages and forms of use. This applies to a lot of herbal supplements -- we don't fully understand whether or how they work, what drugs they interact with, what the active compounds might be, etc. I mean, think about the long history of tobacco use. I'm not equating tobacco with stevia by ANY, ANY means, but it is the most outstanding example of how science had to overcome tradition because of a health threat. Then there are things like St John's Wort, which turns out to cause serious problems if you're taking a prescription antidepressant. And so on.)

Do I avoid stevia because of this? Nah. I do see the FDA's point of view, but I've always been a little too eager to try things for myself. :)

I like stevia, sucralose, aspartame, etc. and since I'm a PubMed.org junkie, I have checked out the toxicity studies. There's a lot of misinformation out there, but my general conclusion is that they're all pretty safe in moderate quantities unless you're personally intolerant to them.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Ooh, check this out:

I bet a free sample would last one of us DIY E-Juicers quite a while.

Read this whole thread, and then checked out Home - stevitastevia.com.

They do offer free samples as Scottes said earlier, so I called the number listed. A real person answered the phone and was very helpful. She took my name and address and said they would ship it out. I was off the phone in less then 2 minutes.
For a free sample of Stevita products, please e-mail info@stevitastevia.com , OR CALL 888-783-8482.

I also just ordered some Capellas flavoring and got some of their pure Sucralose liquid sweetener.

toxinsedge

Dec 28, 2009
Colorado
Hi, ya'all...

I asked one of the juice vendors few weeks ago about sweeteners for juice and he told me that stevia and saccharine both can become toxic if heated to a certain temperature, but he didn't know what the temperature was. He didn't say anything about Splendex, so maybe it's different, but since some of you were trying stevia, I thought I should mention it.

Not trying to rain on your parade, and I know you're using minute amount, but do make sure that what you're adding is safe.

I've been in the same boat wanting something much sweeter than any of the juices I've tried. I had bought some Lorann's flavorings at Hobby Lobby, but they never had the flavors that I hear will give us that really, really sweet taste. So, I finally ordered directly from Loranns and it makes a HUGE difference. The flavors I ordered to add sweetness are cheesecake, cotton candy, marshmallow and carmel.

I don't know what is in these, but they're definately worth ordering...right now I am vaping a candy apple flavor that I found in the recipes thread, and it is very good. It only took a small amount of Loranns apple and carmel, and it is every bit as sweet as the Vanilla Sweet Dreams I used to love.

Good luck w/finding the right taste...it has taken me months, and this is the first time I think I've found something I can really enjoy vaping. There's been a few that I thought were 'it', but this blows the rest away.:lol:

I found that stevia is heat stable up to 200 degrees-Celsius (392 degrees Fahrenheit). I dont know if atomizers exceed that level of heat or not, but if they do then stevia would not be a safe sweetener to use.

JenBruin

Dec 11, 2010
San Diego
Aspartame is supposedly derived from a nerve toxin. I'm not sure how true that is, but it might explain some of the bad reactions people have to it.

Aspartame is NOT derived from a nerve toxin... it is derived from natural amino acids. One amino acid that it is made from is L-phenylalanine, which is toxic ONLY to people who suffer from the genetic defect phenylketonuria, who lack the enzyme to break down this particular amino acid and therefore it builds up in their nervous system leading to brain damage and death. Now, if you had PKU, you'd know it because if you were born in the US or probably any other developed country you would have been tested for it at birth and you would have had a diet restriction your whole life. If you weren't tested at birth then you wouldn't be able to read this because you'd most likely have brain damage already :p This is yet another example of internet hoaxes and scare tactics, probably funded by sugar companies or some such to drive them away from the competition.

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY
I've tried 2 sucralose sweeteners and one stevia sweetener and haven't liked them much:( I've tried going using EM/Cotton candy flavoring to sweeten other juices and it also turned bitter. Yes, they sweeten up the juice but I taste a bitter element from them on exhale. A chemical bite kind of taste. I just found another Stevia sweetener that says" No bitter aftertaste!" on it's label so I will try that one next.

Lori

Lori

Led Hendriani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2009
Northern California
I just found another Stevia sweetener that says" No bitter aftertaste!" on it's label so I will try that one next.

That's what I have been thinking too... although I was leaning towards powdered EM, but first I am going to try some cotton candy from a vendor just in case my Loranns cotton candy was a bad batch,,, i bought the 2 dram bottles at a store and it never tasted right or smelled right as far as I am concerned, sort of like a weakened version of pina colada, and there is definitely a chemically taste when vaped even in small quantities. The pink/red labels are the newer stock from Loranns, right?
It may just be a case of it is what it is...

OTOH, the Loranns Marshmallow i bought on the same day smells great and is great!!!!

Led Hendriani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2009
Northern California
Well the cotton candy tasted much better that I just got from a vendor!!!... he said it was also LorAnns. I wonder if the difference may be from his sample being from a large fresh bottle versus a small dram bottle from a bakery supply that may have been in the sunlight for quite some time... time for me to open the second bottle and see if it also is weird...

Of course, there is also the possibility that they may add a little sweetener to whatever they sell ;)

Onward vaping soldiers, marching to the store,
looking for sweet heaven, when juices are a bore...

Last edited:

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
Someone asked near the beginning of the thread. Has anyone noticed any buildup on their atty with sucralose? How about with stevia?

I have never tried stevia, but have been using EZ-SWEETZ which is highly concentrated liquid sucralose in filtered water for over 6 months now in all my e-liquid with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread