RDA Switch To RDA... Flavor Disappears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanore

Aug 10, 2014
USA
So I've vaped on bottom coil tanks pretty much always. For me other systems were undesirable because they weren't rebuildable, or in the case of RDAs the need to drip seemed like it would be too big of an inconvenience to me.

But after a while I decided I'd give an RDA a shot, found a relatively cheap one to play around with to figure out what I wanted/liked, and took the plunge. Oddly enough, I ran into problems, but not what I expected.

First off, equipment:

Smoktech winder ego batteries. 4.8 vv/12w vw ( I know, not a mech or electric mod. Never needed one. Like I said this was to experiment and play around. )

EHPro Helios RDA. ( There are so many RDAs that even after watching a fair number of reviews I couldn't tell you what makes a good or bad one. I went with one that had basic features I thought I'd like to play with. Adjustable airflow, able to hold two coils, made of stainless steel, and not too insanely big for an ego battery. )

Organic cotton wick.

28 and 30 gauge kanthal.

First coil build I tried was a 30 gauge dual micro coil wrapped around a 5/64s drill bit that came in at 1.5-1.6 ohms. Roughly 11 wraps each. I found that for some reason no matter how tight I made the airflow, I couldn't get a good hit off of them. They simply weren't getting hot enough. When dry burning them they heated evenly from the inside out, and in synch. I figured there must simply be too much wire for the ego battery to push through, removed a coil, now a single 3.0 ohm micro coil, and vapor production goes through the roof. More vapor than I ever got off a tank... but then the flavor was gone. I'm not talking diminished, I mean gone.

So first I tried different flavors, menthol flavors, ice flavors, heat flavors (like cinnamon red hots), still nothing. Tried upping the % of flavoring in the juice, nothing. Even tried an old batch of black licorice mixed at 30% flavoring, that was strong enough to make your mouth hurt after two hits, and nothing.

So then I figured the resistance was too high in the single coil. I built a 1.5 ohm coil out of 28 gauge kanthal. Hits better, more vapor, found a better position for the air control ring... still no flavor.

At this point, I'm at a loss. There is no reason I can really think of that explains the complete and total loss of flavor. I can't even taste the normal VG/Nicotine taste anymore, those are gone too. I've come to a few ideas, but none of them really sit well with me.

1. The RDA requires two coils, hence the two air holes on either side. This is why I got flavor with two coils, but never with one. Problem is this doesn't make sense. Flavor decreasing would make some sense, but not disappearing entirely.

2. Because two air holes must always be open with this RDA, the air coming in from the side opposite of the coil isn't hitting a coil, isn't being made into vapor, and therefor dilutes the flavor into nothingness. This also doesn't make sense because the amount of vapor I am getting should ensure some flavor gets through. I've even tried covering the air hole not touching a coil with my finger so air only passes through the the hole facing the coil, and drawing slowly to make sure the coil builds up heat. Nothing.

3. An ego battery cannot get the coils hot enough to produce flavor. This seems to fall flat on its face due to how much vapor I'm getting compared to my old tanks. I considered building a dual coil build lower than 1.5 ohms, maybe 1.0 ohms exactly, but I cannot find the amperage rating for any ego batteries, much less mine. I simply don't know what is safe with them and don't feel like testing it. I've done the ohms law calculations and a 1 ohm build at 4.8 volts should come in at 4.8 amps. I've thought surely even an ego battery can handle that. However I don't like the idea of the ego battery exploding in my mouth, so I won't be trying it.

Anyways this is what I've been through and what has been perplexing me. I have no clue how to fix this, and would love some advice. I'm posting it here because it seems like the best place concerning an RDA, and I ruled it out as a juice problem considering flavor is still wonderful on my bottom coil tanks using the same juice.

Any help given is greatly appreciated, and sorry for the wall of text.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
I will be honest, I stopped reading after you mentioned what you are using to power your rda.

Put simply, you aren't dealing with enough power to make an RDA shine.
Either get a mech and lower the resistance a lot or get a high powered mod and crank the volts or watts

PS

Not all drippers are created equal (for flavor)
Not all liquid is ideal for dripping
And thinking that buying a dripper and turning out a couple builds is going to give you the maximum performance of the device is like thinking you will be a professional race car driver if you buy a Porsche - aka you may need to adjust your build and refine your technique A LOT

Last edited:

eyerhere

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Warren Mi
Like plink said your winder wont power that atty. You need to get yourself a mech or higer watt device. Make sure you read up on ohms law and battery safety before making your purchase. The helios is not the greatest atty but I still use mine for tasting my diy juice. With the right mod you will get satisfying results from it. You will not get satisfying results from any rba on a winder/ego.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Number 3 on your initial post hits on the answer. RBAs in general require more power to get them to shine and your ego battery isn't going to provide that no matter what you do. If you do continue to build using it stick with the 30ga wire, single coil and don't go under 1.5 ohms as you'll stress the battery to much below that but again there is nothing you can do to get that battery to power it enough to get a good vape.

You're gong to need a mod to get an rba to shine and there are two ways you can go. A mech which isn't adjustable, your build and ohms will determine the heat your getting to the coil or you can go variable which is more forgiving as you can adjust to taste and has some protection built in.

Last edited:

Millah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
FL
Another thing I'd add, you're seriously mistaking vapor quantity = flavor intensity. Quite the opposite, I tend to get much stronger flavor when I decrease the airflow and get less vapor.

The main factor contributing to vapor production is airflow. Seriously, thats it. I can take a wimpy single coil build and simply let more air slip through my lips (by not sealing my lips entirely around the drip tip) and all of a sudden get twice as much vapor. It doesn't mean my vape intensified or anything like that, more air simply got through and created more vapor.

Large airflow is for vapor. Tighter airflow is better for flavor but less vapor.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
What everyone else said about the battery pretty much sums it up. But I would be curious to see how you like it with a 6 or 7 wrap with 32 gauge. Might be worth a buck or two of kanthal to see. I did the same thing with a different rda and could get it firing but vapor production was wispy at best. However I never tried with 32, I just bought a mech.

Insert research ohms law, battery safety, Please don't blow your face off warning here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread