Switching nic levels. How often do you do it and is it a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
People that have lowered nicotine, are you going through more e-liquid?

I did it in stages as I said over months. Every time I dropped it a bit I found I vaped a bit more for a week or two and then leveled back to about 3 - 4 ml a day. This repeated until I got to zero. I'm now enjoying RBA's and RDA's, which use more juice than the cartos and clearos I used to use and I'm vaping about 2 - 3 ml a day. Some days I forget to vape for a few hours, which is nice because the next vape tastes even better than usual :thumb:

GracieD

May 24, 2013
Tennessee, USA
I started vaping in May and at 24mg. I could tell right away that was too high and went to 18 very quickly. I didn't notice any affects at the level such as light-headed or anything but it did seem that is was scorching (don't really know how to explain it) the roof of my mouth. I really thought it was the nicotine level doing it so I tried some apple flavored at 10mg and it seemed fine. I decided to DIY and diluted all my nic juice to 11 so it ended up being around 9 or so once the flavors were added and all I do is crave a cigarette :( So now I need to order some more nic at a higher level and save my 11 for when I am ready to drop down that low and go back up to around 14 or so and see if that satisfies without the burning feeling on the roof of my mouth. Oh well, live and learn :)

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
I started vaping 18 months ago at 18 mg and slowly reduced my nic level to zero over about 8 months. What bothered me the most through that was the reduction of throat hit with lower nic juice. I loved TH! It's possible you are experiencing the same thing changing from 24 to 18.

It was very easy for me to get used to lower nic juice because I changed it so slowly. I also did not start for a few months, so I had cigarettes well out of my system. During that time I didn't care about nic level or the amount I vaped, just focused on not smoking. If I had needed 36 mg juice I would have used it. But I used to get a little nic high too when chain vaping 18 so I never tried more and it worked out fine for me.

Best of luck with it!

Thanks, and yeah I'm definitely not going to run before I can walk. I'm pretty sure 18 is enough for me though even as I type this the USA Mix is recharging and I'm feeling GREAT with the 24mg Caramel Blend but I know I don't really need it.

I'll work it all out over time. I'm loving these posts where people say how it happened for them. I still am a complete newb at all this but I am so happy knowing vaping has made me forget cigs completely.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
I started vaping in May and at 24mg. I could tell right away that was too high and went to 18 very quickly. I didn't notice any affects at the level such as light-headed or anything but it did seem that is was scorching (don't really know how to explain it) the roof of my mouth. I really thought it was the nicotine level doing it so I tried some apple flavored at 10mg and it seemed fine. I decided to DIY and diluted all my nic juice to 11 so it ended up being around 9 or so once the flavors were added and all I do is crave a cigarette :( So now I need to order some more nic at a higher level and save my 11 for when I am ready to drop down that low and go back up to around 14 or so and see if that satisfies without the burning feeling on the roof of my mouth. Oh well, live and learn :)

I have found the strong TH hit with higher nic can be avoided if you exhale some then inhale a little. It sounds like you need the nic but don't like the TH. Just draw some in, let some out and enjoy the rest. It probably sounds weird but it works for me.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have found the strong TH hit with higher nic can be avoided if you exhale some then inhale a little. It sounds like you need the nic but don't like the TH. Just draw some in, let some out and enjoy the rest. It probably sounds weird but it works for me.

Most of the nic is absorbed by the mucous membranes in our mouth and nasal passages anyway. I've never tried vaping without inhaling but people say it works pretty well.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Well I'm going to have to be honest, I'm so new to all this I didn't really think about nic levels. I have an EVOD starter kit which I love and various juices and I started on 24mg on the advice of people on forums who said if you're just quitting you need high nicotine.

I think because I got used to the 24 the 18 doesn't feel quite right though I am kind of forcing myself to use 18 through the day right from the start. I have ordered more 18's to come tomorrow or Monday too. The 24 gets me kind of high which is nice but a bit worrying lol.

I'm using a clearomiser it has a single coil I think the battery is just an EVOD which I think is a standard ego I don't really know.

I'm having no issues even the amount of nic is no big deal I have not wanted a cig at all since I started vaping I just got paranoid I was vaping such high nic and then got used to it, almost swapping one addiction for another albeit a less harmful one.

I still think you are doing very very well, and we all know how much there is to learn when it comes to vaping. I really would try a 50/50 mix of two of your same flavors (the 24 and the 18) and give yourself another nic level to try out.

Interestingly enuf, many people call it an addiction. The need for nicotine is a dependence, not an addiction.

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA

Also, if you vape mostly VG, you will have a lot less TH. I vape 30mg/ml mostly vg. If I try vaping less mg/ml I end up chain vaping to get the nic I crave, but I don't like TH, thus the vg.

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
... So it's charging now and I'm back to EVOD numero uno which has USA Mix at 18mg which I am puffing away on and having to take extra big draws to feel I'm getting a good vape.

That's my problem with lower nic too. I started out (almost 2 and a half yrs. ago) at 24mg, and I'm still at 24mg. I tried some 18 and 12 in the past, but the hits seemed really weak and unsatisfying. So, I'm happy with 24.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
That's my problem with lower nic too. I started out (almost 2 and a half yrs. ago) at 24mg, and I'm still at 24mg. I tried some 18 and 12 in the past, but the hits seemed really weak and unsatisfying. So, I'm happy with 24.

I'm still at 2.4 mg nic after fourteen months and I see no reason for me to drop. I need the throat hit from 2.4 for this to work for me. Nicotine is no more to me than a coffee fanatic craving Starbucks.

DrBeaker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
Lab City USA
www.mothersmilkwta.com
Do not do this!
I vape 50mg/ml all day everyday I tried 36mg/ml could not stand the lower nic.
I didn't smoke for smokes sake I smoked for the nicotine.
I vape for nicotine.
I hate smoke and what its done to my friends and family health.
I say vape what ever level you need to stay off the stinkys.
Don't try vaping super high levels of nicotine like I do you will probably make your self sick I don't know what my problem is maybe just high tolerence.

C-Hang

Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Nicotine releases adrenaline which kicks off a release of glucose stores from the liver and blocks the release of insulin so the sugars stay in the blood resulting in slight hyperglycemia. Over time nicotine can contribute to the increase of LDL cholesterol which is an artery blocker and increases risk of heart attack and stroke.
Nicotine is also an immediate, temporary vasoconstrictor. One in ten people who contract lung cancer are smokers.
Nicotine also makes you feel good. Many doctors today recommend vaping as a HARM REDUCING alternative to their patients who smoke.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Nicotine releases adrenaline which kicks off a release of glucose stores from the liver and blocks the release of insulin so the sugars stay in the blood resulting in slight hyperglycemia. Over time nicotine can contribute to the increase of LDL cholesterol which is an artery blocker and increases risk of heart attack and stroke.
Nicotine is also an immediate, temporary vasoconstrictor. One in ten people who contract lung cancer are smokers.
Nicotine also makes you feel good. Many doctors today recommend vaping as a HARM REDUCING alternative to their patients who smoke.

From what I've read the act of smoking exposes you to a lot more nicotine than the act of vaping. I've also seen medical professionals state that nicotine is the least harmful element of cigarettes. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself but you seem to be trying to convince me e cigs are not much less dangerous than normal cigs which you know is not true.

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
Every day,

24, when I get up for the first hour or so.

18, the majority of the day.

6, after 9 pm till lights out.

I have a similar pattern. 18mg first thing in the morning. 15 or 12 or 9 most of the day. 6 for late evening.

I pay more attention to what my body is telling me than the number on the bottle. It's easier to notice that I've had enough with 18mg and stop, than it is at 6. If I only use 6, I'd chain vape all day long and I'd rather not do that. No matter what level I vape, it usually turns out that I use 30 to 36 mg nicotine a day (5ml x 6mg or 3 x 12mg or 2 x 18mg or some combination). I have no wish to go up or down from here.

riseabovethestorm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Grayling, MI, USA
www.kalkaskamma.com
I personally am puffing on 24mg fluid. My starter kit came with 5 cartridges pre-filled with 18mg liquid, and I ordered a 10ml bottle of 18mg fluid for refill purposes. I tore through that crap in like... a week and a half.

I have come to realize that the higher concentrations actually last me longer on the whole. Once I trained myself out of the hand-to-mouth habit, my device spends a lot more time in my pocket than it does with the 18mg. My nicotine levels are high enough on a consistent basis to where I don't feel the need to start vaping first thing in the morning anymore. I wake up, go about my business, and don't usually start vaping until the drive to work (an hour or more after prying myself from the comfort of my bed). My entirely personal, unique and subjective advice would be to NOT go down in nicotine concentration. You'll go through fluid a lot faster because you'll require more of it to keep your body's level of nicotine as high as it would be if you were still vaping with the 18mg. My preferred provider has me hooked in that the 24mg doesn't cost any more per bottle than the 18mg solution, where a lot of companies will actually charge you more for higher concentrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread