switching to mech mods need a little advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
get a well reviewed mod and keep it clean. take it apart every few weeks and clean and lubricate it and you should have no problems just like with any other tool or machine also avoid hybrid mods. they can create hard shorts with BCCs and other popular tanks and some RDAs

Reactions: dcfluegel
Remember, with a mech mod YOU are the safety. By their nature they're the "dangerous sport" of the vaping world, not the most dangerous thing.

Get a resistance meter, check your build before installing. Don't try for a stupidly low build until you really know what you're at.

Only buy batteries from a trusted seller, only buy cells of a known make and always get the highest C rating you can afford.

Reactions: Baditude

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
VTC4s are the best all around battery IMO. My preffered brand(I use mechs exclusively), as long as you order from a reputable site you should be fine with those. Samsungs are great as well but are better suited for low wattage. If you are planning on building in the .4-.7 range, I definitely recommend the VTC4 or the LG HB6, the HB6 has only 1500 mAh though so it will have very short cycles.

frjaldomr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2014
Far West Texas, US
VTC4s are the best all around battery IMO. My preferred brand(I use mechs exclusively), as long as you order from a reputable site you should be fine with those.
Do you still feel confident purchasing VTCs these days? I have just read so much about counterfeits, and old stock, and closed plants, and reopened plants, and blah blah blah...I just gave up.
If so, where do you buy them?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Do you still feel confident purchasing VTCs these days? I have just read so much about counterfeits, and old stock, and closed plants, and reopened plants, and blah blah blah...I just gave up.

I've gotten authentic VTCs from liionwholesale.com. Other good sources are orbtronic.com, illumn.com, rtdvapor.com.

frjaldomr

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2014
    Far West Texas, US
    I've gotten authentic VTCs from liionwholesale.com. Other good sources are orbtronic.com, illumn.com, rtdvapor.com.
    Yeah, I've seen them on Orbtronic...always out of stock.
    Looks like RTD has the VTC4s...is this a new thing?
    Seems like when I was last looking for them, RTD didn't even have them listed...but then, it's been awhile.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 18, 2015
    carson city nevada
    Remember, with a mech mod YOU are the safety. By their nature they're the "dangerous sport" of the vaping world, not the most dangerous thing.

Get a resistance meter, check your build before installing. Don't try for a stupidly low build until you really know what you're at.

Only buy batteries from a trusted seller, only buy cells of a known make and always get the highest C rating you can afford.
    mechanical mods are not dangerous.ignorance, arrogance and immaturity are dangerous. a good well maintained mechanical mod is safe and very reliable.regulated mods can auto fire and with a low resistance load this continuous firing can cause the battery to over heat.it can also cause the pass transistor to over heat and go into thermal runaway.this condition can cause the pass transistor to explode.from the reviews I have read on regulated mods they are not all that reliable. some have failed within the first 2 weeks.with regular cleaning my mechanical mods have given me safe and reliable service. I do test my coils before mounting them on my mod but this is standard safety practice with any mod.hybrid mods are dangerous because they will produce a hard short with any atty that has a recessed center pin.even the best available technology can not fix stupid. it is better to rely on knowledge and skill for your safety they will not fail like technology can and does at the most inconvenient times. my formal training is in electrical engineering and I have seen power structures explode and protective circuits fail. if you are too lazy to learn how to do a thing safely then don't do it at all unless you are competing for the Darwin award

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2015

I am confident with my supplier. I am Canadian and so I order mine from a place in the maritimes called East Coast Vape. They are a trusted company and they are close to where i am so i go with them. For the states i would trust where @Mooch gets his batteries.

Reactions: frjaldomr

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Hey I'm switching to mech mods and I would like a little advice I'm getting vct 4 batterys I'd probably be using it at around 0.3 ohms on a rda but could I go up to 1 ohm n be safe any advice on mech mods is welcome

of course you could go up to 1 ohm.

i've vaping 2.5 ohm 28 gauge on my rda right now.

but why do you say you will probably be using it at around 0.3 ohms on an rda in the first place? Are you currently using an rda at 0.3 ohms on a regulated mod?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Yeah, I've seen them on Orbtronic...always out of stock.
    Looks like RTD has the VTC4s...is this a new thing?
    Seems like when I was last looking for them, RTD didn't even have them listed...but then, it's been awhile.

It is. Only in the past couple of months have the VTC's become available again,

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Hey I'm switching to mech mods and I would like a little advice I'm getting vct 4 batterys I'd probably be using it at around 0.3 ohms on a rda but could I go up to 1 ohm n be safe any advice on mech mods is welcome
    • I'm personally a fan of the AltSmoke Silver Bullet. I own two. I've used a Silver Bullet for three years (yeah, its durable). I use one every day, and I gave the other to my son.
    • It's designed to be safer by using a recessed side fire button (won't accidentally auto fire in a pocket or purse) and the side button is more natural (how many bottom-fire regulated mods can you name?). Unless a bottom-fire mechanical has a safety lock (most don't), it could auto-fire in your pocket or when you set it down between vapes. Even the mechs with a safety lock could auto-fire if you don't set the safety lock EACH & EVERY TIME you stop using your mod.
    • Ventilation via the specially designed fire button. Batteries usually vent at the battery top, not the bottom where most other mechanical mods have their ventilation holes.
    • Made in Ohio, so in the unlikely event it should need repair, you can return it to AltSmoke. (Try doing that with Chinese-made mods).
    • Light weight yet durable; body machine-milled from aircraft grade aluminum bar stock. Stainless steel 510 connector. Silky smooth battery cap threading.
    • You can convert the Silver Bullet into a regulated mod by using a Kick and a Silver Bullet battery extension tube.
    • Available in several different colors.

Regulated mods (variable voltage) use micro computers to regulate the vapor to stay consistant to what is dialed in by the user. They allow for "fine tuning" the vapor to the user's personal preferences, as some vapers prefer a warmer vape while others prefer a cooler vape. In addition, some flavors are better at a lower power setting while others are better at a higher power setting.

The voltage output from a regulated mod is not the battery voltage (like in a mechanical mod). It is converted using a combination of buck/boost and/or PWM (pulse width modulation), or pulsed DC circuitry to achieve the desired wattage.

At wattages requiring less than the battery voltage, the mod will either regulate the voltage down or more often pulse the DC voltage on and off to get the desired wattage.

At wattages requiring a higher voltage than the battery voltage, the buck/boost circuitry will boost the battery voltage up to get the desired wattage. This buck boost circuitry has some loss so it will use more watts from the battery than at a lower voltage output from the mod.

These processors have built-in safety circuitry which make them a better choice for novice or intermediate vapors because of their safety features. Regulated mods can be tube or box mods. There are newer models called "high wattage" regulated mods which have all the benefits of a regular regulated mod in addition to higher power capability to fire super low-resistance sub-ohm coils.

Mechanical mods are bare-bones tube or box battery holders with no power regulation/variable power control, and no built-in safety features. These have recently enjoyed a resurgence in popularity because of RBAs (rebuildable atomizers). Because there is no computer to regulate voltage, mechanical mod depend solely on the battery's output and the resistance of the heating coil. Vape quality will gradually and progressively decline as the battery is drained during use.

The Pro's & Cons of Regulated vs Mechanical Mods:

Regulated Pro's:

• The battery power to the atomizer is controlled (regulated) to stay the same throughout the battery charge, from a fully charged battery until fully discharged.
    • The power can be adjusted to increase or decrease the voltage by the user, allowing the user to change their vaping experience.
    • Has built-in protective circuitry against short circuits, atomizer shorts, accidentally putting battery in backwards, and over-heating.
    • Has built-in battery voltage and atomizer resistance meters to check battery status and the ohm of the coil.
    Regulated Con's:
    • Generally speaking, may not be as well made or as durable over time; electrical components may fail over time or from physical abuse.
    • Unless it is a "high wattage" regulated mod, will not be able to fire sub-ohm coils.
    Mechanical Pro's:
    • Generally speaking, made to be more durable and withstand some physical abuse. No electronics to fail.
    • Able to fire sub-ohm coils because there is no protection circuitry or processor amp limits to prohibit it.
    • Many are machined to be quite beautiful, nearly art pieces.

Mechanical Cons:

• No protection circuitry. This is a big one for beginners. The user must always be aware of the signs of a short circuit which could cause the battery to vent into thermal runaway. Must have ventilation holes and a hot spring in case you experience a venting battery.
    • Most mechanical mods use a bottom-fire switch, which is less natural than a side-fire switch; it is also less safe as a bottom-fire button may auto-fire if it lacks a locking switch, or if you don't lock it each time you stop vaping.
    • No built-in voltage or resistance meters.
    • No way to regulate the battery output. As the battery drains during use, the vapor will continually decline gradually. No way to adjust the vape experience except by changing the atomizer resistance.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    That was the one I was trying to remember!
    I really like the silver-veined model...out of stock though, of course. :)
    Have to give them a call. Thanks for posting that @Baditude!
    :thumb:
    Below is my silver-vein. It has a textured paint finish which is really benefitual to the touch.

full

Put in a request to Chad should you want one (he makes all of the Silver Bullets for AltSmoke in Ohio) . He makes batches of different colors over time and could tell you when a silver vein batch will be available.
    AltSmoke Silver Bullet/Omega/BB/Alpha Stock Updates!

silverveing.jpg

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 12, 2014
    Mpls/St.Paul, MN
    I dunno if I can post websites. But Illumn is pretty reputable I have been using them for years for various batteries and flashlight gear.
    Yes, you can post links. Here are mine:

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
    * Illumination Supply
    * Lighthound
    * Orbtronics
    * Battery Junction**

Note: **Ships to Canada

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread