Switching to vaping from Cigs - Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spybee

May 26, 2016
Hi All!

I just left the darkside today, went into a local vapeshop and bought a whole setup. New pen and 4 big bottles. I told the sales guy, I was switching to quit smoking and wanted something that gave me the throat hit like a cig and tastes like one. I ended up leaving with 4 different tobacco flavors. I like the taste, the vape amount is good, lots of production..

I still feel the need to smoke a regular cig though.. does this go away after time? I know its the first day and my body will probably withdrawal from the other chems in cigs.. another thing, the guy asked how much I smoke a day, (one pack) started me on the 6mg liquid. Is that a good level to be at? Thanks!!

PressPlayVape

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
CA
Yeah that's normal there's a lot of chemicals in cigs aside from nicotine so you'll still crave for a bit, I think about the first 2 weeks I wanted to smoke still, I just stuck with it and since that I've never looked back. Once you start to get your taste and smell back especially and you smell people walking by you'll be like, 'how the %$# did I used to walk around like that'. Depending on the type of device you got 6mg is probably fine, do you know which one you got? Just vape as much as you need to stick with it, nicotine is far far from the most harmful part of smoking so get whatever it takes you to stay off the cigs.

CharTech

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Carolinas
Welcome and congrads and good luck. I was a pack a day smoker. I started with 24MG Nic and went to 12 after about 6 months or so and went to 6MG maybe a couple months after going to 12MG. Whenever you have a craving just chain vape until it passes. My son is at 12MG and he tried going to 6MG but it wasn't enough for him and he went back to 12MG.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I still feel the need to smoke a regular cig though.. does this go away after time? I know its the first day and my body will probably withdrawal from the other chems in cigs..
When I quit five years ago, I had a plan. I had one pack of cigarettes left. I had my vape setup up and ready and vowed I would not buy another pack of cigarettes.

I would vape as much as I desired, and if I felt a craving for a smoke, I would vape more. If that didn't stop the craving, I would allow myself half of a cigarette, put out the rest and save it for the next bad craving. I averaged about 4 whole cigarettes the first few days. The second half butts tasted pretty bad, but I believe that helped me to quit. By the end of the week, I didn't get a craving for a smoke and actually preferred the vapor over the cigarettes.

This is what worked for me. That's not saying it will work for everyone else. Just realize, its not important how many cigarettes you smoke that count, it's how many you DIDN'T SMOKE that counts.

another thing, the guy asked how much I smoke a day, (one pack) started me on the 6mg liquid. Is that a good level to be at? Thanks!!
This depends upon the juice delivery device and the resistance of the coil you are using. If you are using a standard resistance (1.0-3.0 ohm) coil, it might be a little low for the nicotine. Typically, a pack per day smoker should start out with 12mg. However, if you are using sub-ohm coils (0.25-0.9 ohm), 6mg is about right.

For e-liquid, the typical nicotine recommendations are as follows:

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
1 ppd = 12 mg
1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
2 ppd = 24 mg
Good Starter Setups for a Beginning Vapor

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

Stay determined. Don't give up. :thumb:

Last edited:

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
You're off to a great start! I both vaped and smoked for the first two weeks. After that, I ran out of cigs and just never bought another pack. I found not putting pressure on myself worked really well. The cigs were there if I needed them, but after a while, they lost their appeal.

Spybee

May 26, 2016
Yeah that's normal there's a lot of chemicals in cigs aside from nicotine so you'll still crave for a bit, I think about the first 2 weeks I wanted to smoke still, I just stuck with it and since that I've never looked back. Once you start to get your taste and smell back especially and you smell people walking by you'll be like, 'how the %$# did I used to walk around like that'. Depending on the type of device you got 6mg is probably fine, do you know which one you got? Just vape as much as you need to stick with it, nicotine is far far from the most harmful part of smoking so get whatever it takes you to stay off the cigs.
Thanks - Good to hear! I knew there had to be some will power - power in there to make the switch, along side the countless chemicals we became addicted to along side the nicotine. I've quit smoking for a a few weeks before and had that -"yeah, I can smell that you just smoked, damn.. did I smell like that?" moments. Someone once told me, you go from smoker, to non-smoker and then to anti-smoker. ha.

I ended up getting the Joytech Ego Aio, seemed like a fair price at $25, then got the 4, 30 ml with the pen for $50. I had one in the past and spent 80+ for less it seemed, but I always did the highest level of nicotine..

PressPlayVape

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
CA
Thanks - Good to hear! I knew there had to be some will power - power in there to make the switch, along side the countless chemicals we became addicted to along side the nicotine. I've quit smoking for a a few weeks before and had that -"yeah, I can smell that you just smoked, damn.. did I smell like that?" moments. Someone once told me, you go from smoker, to non-smoker and then to anti-smoker. ha.

I ended up getting the Joytech Ego Aio, seemed like a fair price at $25, then got the 4, 30 ml with the pen for $50. I had one in the past and spent 80+ for less it seemed, but I always did the highest level of nicotine..

Nice, yeah I have an AIO it's a great device for the price, pretty crazy how inexpensive it is. My first Blu starter kit I bought in 2012 was like $130 I think and it was complete crap compared to the AIO, these devices have really came a long ways. I use 12mg in my AIO, if the 6mg isn't cutting it for you try some 9mg or 12mg and see if it helps curb those cravings a bit. You can always go down in nicotine later if you want to but the most important part is staying away from the cigs.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Hi All!

I just left the darkside today, went into a local vapeshop and bought a whole setup. New pen and 4 big bottles. I told the sales guy, I was switching to quit smoking and wanted something that gave me the throat hit like a cig and tastes like one. I ended up leaving with 4 different tobacco flavors. I like the taste, the vape amount is good, lots of production..

I still feel the need to smoke a regular cig though.. does this go away after time? I know its the first day and my body will probably withdrawal from the other chems in cigs.. another thing, the guy asked how much I smoke a day, (one pack) started me on the 6mg liquid. Is that a good level to be at? Thanks!!

Congratulations to you and welcome to ECF!!

When I started vaping, I kept smoking cigarettes for a while. I was vaping with juice that had a nicotine content of 12 mg. I much preferred vaping to smoking, so I was vaping much more than I smoked, but still needed a few analogs a day to beat my cravings.

A wise vaper told me if I was still smoking, I might need to raise the percentage of nicotine in my juice to 18 mg. I raised it to 18 mg., and found I was able to put the cigarettes down permanently, with no horrible cravings at all. Please note: I was using an old-school mouth to lung device, that typically is used with higher nicotine content juices. If you are sub-ohming, you might be fine with 6 mg. nicotine juice, but I think a good rule of thumb is to allow yourself to continue smoking while you are figuring out what gear will work best for you and how much nicotine it will take to satisfy your cravings. I continued to smoke a few analog cigarettes each day until I didn't want to smoke analogs anymore. It worked like a charm for me, and that's what I advise for new vapers.

Any questions you have, ask away. There are always people here who want to help.

Reactions: CharTech

TheRussianVaper

Apr 22, 2016
Hi All!

The cravings go away, for me it took about a week.
The MG depends on you, if you feel like you do not have enough, then up the level. Personally I started with 16mg, then quickly lowered it to 12 then to 9.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome. :)

Now, let me see.

Many of us quit with 18mg or 24mg liquid. If you are vaping 6mg liquid, then you are going to need to vape that at 3 or 4 times the power/consumption we used back in 2012/13/14.

Personally, I feel even vaping at 30 watts (AIO) 6mg is not a lot unless you are really getting through those tanks in quick smart fashion.

We know that many vapers used 3ml (maybe 4ml/5ml) of 18mg to quit. I make that a minimum of 9ml of 6mg to provide the same nicotine.

So - to conclude. 6mg at 30 watts is a powerful vape, but if you are only refilling once a day then you are basically trying to quit with less nicotine than a few million other people, a few years ago.

It took a lady I know nearly 10 months to stop using 6mg. Give yourself a chance, even if you have to buy the 1.0ohm or 1.5ohm coils to then use stronger liquid.

(It's complicated, but it also annoys me how vendors all want to sell low strength liquid.... my guess is they want people buying more liquid)...

Reactions: David Wolf

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
Welcome Home to the ECF Family. After nearly 60 years as a heavy smoker, I took up vaping 2 years ago at 24 mgs. In less than 1 year, I got it down to 24 mgs. Now at 2 years tobacco free....I have it down all the way to 24 mgs. Do what works....and congrats for standing up to the Tobacco Monster. He's a tough cookie....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

eLicky

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2016
Sydney - Australia
Welcome to the forums.

I was smoking 25grams of rollie tobacco every 2-3 days. I started on 12mg which was too low personally. I was vaping like a train, hanging out for a smoke. I went up to 18mg which seemed to help a little. Then I started sub-ohm vaping which now only requires 6mg.

The nicotine level will vary due to the device you're using, the coil ohms, wattage etc because with a sub-ohm tank you take in so much vaper a smaller nic level is required.

So, if he started you off on 6mg with a simple vape pen I would personally go up to 12-18mg and see how that sits, really won't hurt, just mean you'll vape less.

I think really you should reach a level after a week or two you don't need a real smoke, after some intial withdrawal and nicotine level adjustments.

I think the big tell tale signs your nic level is too low are:

• Chain vaping
  • Feeling like a smoke
  • Becoming edgy / strung out
  • Feeling 'this isn't working'

With the right nicotine levels you really can be smooth sailing.

I've been off the smokes after 20+ years for a month now.

Last edited:
Reactions: djsvapour

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I started 3 years ago with ego pen, top wick clearo(1.8-2.4ohm) and 24mg juice. That got me off the cigs literally overnight. I then bought some protanks(1.5-2.0ohm), my body told me that the 24nic was too high (better delivery system) with dizzy and headaches, I dropped down to 18 and vaped happy till I bought a kayfun(1.0-1.4ohm) then again my body told me the nic was too high so I dropped down to 12nic and again vaped happy. Now buying kanger subtank mini's(.5ohm-1.2ohm) I do find that I can't subohm and inhale 12nic without getting a slight headache so I learned to straight mouth hits without inhaling but take smaller hits to inhale. I'm now in the process of using up all my 12nic and proceeding to make 9nic juice, this is where DIY is great since I can turn the nic in my juice up or down easily and without added expense. Rebuilding attys also gives you total control of the ohm level and quality of the coil build.
It took 3 years for me to go from 24 nic to 9 nic but with every purchase of a better atty I had to reduce my nic. Don't sell yourself short by vaping juices that are too low nic and keep having cravings, its a lot of hit and miss till you find the best combo of atty and nic level juice to keep you off ciggys.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
started me on the 6mg liquid. Is that a good level to be at?
"Using this atomizer with a nicotine level above 6mg will usually taste burnt or harsh."
re: Joyetech eGo AIO All in One Starter Kit

I still feel the need to smoke a regular cig though.. does this go away after time?
Guaranteed. Vaping is much more enjoyable than one note tobacco. Smelling like a burnt ash trey to others is not pleasant smell. Stay with it and give it a few weeks or so.
Since you bought your gear from a vape shop, feel free to visit and sample the many types of different flavors other than good old tobacco. Write down questions to remember when you go to the shop. Most vape shop folks love to answer questions are very knowledgeable.
Try to read and understand or find someone who can explain (Very important) the following:
Tank type atomizers... For new vapists - how they work | E-Cigarette Forum

Just, hit "like" at bottom right hand corner of this post if you need any more information and I (or someone else) can read your question(s) and get back to you.

Mike Weatherford Jr

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2015
(Classified), California
That's totally normal, and trust me it will pass. While the vaping is satisfying the oral habit, the nicotine habit, and the smoke, it does not satisfy the addiction to the countless other chemicals in cigarettes. Also, there's the habitual smoking you got to break as well, like first thing in the morning, after a meal, etc. After about two to five days you should notice the cigarette craving itself disappearing if not gone. You made a great decision joining ECF, lots of great people on here and we're all here for you. Just remember, every time you puff on your vape, you're avoiding another cigarette.

Welcome to your new life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread