Wood SX Hero mod+stabilized wood=Fabulous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. My name is Trey and I'm a cheap ........ I recently picked up a zero sx clone and I love it. In fact, I love it so much that I decided to buy another one. The second one is a wood hero sx. I'm sure some of you are familiar.

I am a huge fan of the zero sx and I'm also a fan of high figure wood I.e. flame maple, curly maple, spalted maple, quilted maple, birch, and other quality/exotic woods. I'm not a huge fan of paying over a grand for a mod. I am an electrician by trade and I have access to a complete machine shop.

After ordering the mod I ordered a nice cut of wood. Stabilized spalted maple. The plan is to machine the maple to replace the crappy wood that the mod came with. I'm currently waiting for the mod and wood to arrive here in Alaska (another week) but I will continue to update this thread as often as possible. I have also been speaking with a nice gentleman about having some custom wood work done. I'm leaving the deposit on that today sometime. If all goes well with the second piece of wood, I should have it in two weeks time.

Thanks for looking

Reactions: Brotolemaeus
Still waiting for the goods to arrive but I do have one update. This project will be an ongoing project and as long as I have a job I will try to build a sleeve every two weeks. I have two other blanks on the way for the next projects. One santopol hybrid (maple/acrylic) and a gnarly piece I picked up on a Facebook auction. I can't wait to get started on these things already.

Reactions: jonespg
Lol if you pay half of what I paid for it, you can have it. As of right now, my idea of making multiples is not going to happen. When I finish this one, it's going to ice bat and the green one will be my own personal mod.

The first blank and mod arrived today. I'm about 2 hours into the process but here's where I'm stopping tonight.

Reactions: jonespg
Unfortunately the screw holes are stripped in the first piece and there's not much I can do about it while I'm here in Alaska but I did get the green wood in tonight. After working the first one the second one came together pretty quickly. Not much left to do now and no stripped screw holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread