Symptoms of Chemical poisoning- propylene glycol

Status
Not open for further replies.

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
That is kind of misleading though. In terms of chemicals or vitamins or anything like that you are talking about small percentages, like milligrams. So when talking about chemicals when you say you are consuming 2,000 plus milligrams of it a day, that is considered substantial. And that is just the liquid measurement, You have to take in account the volume of vapor you are inhaling. for example, imagine swallowing a teaspoon of pure nicotine? or 2,000 mgs of nicotine??

Tallgirl1974

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2009
Loganville, Ga
That is kind of misleading though. In terms of chemicals or vitamins or anything like that you are talking about small percentages, like milligrams. So when talking about chemicals when you say you are consuming 2,000 plus milligrams of it a day, that is considered substantial. And that is just the liquid measurement, You have to take in account the volume of vapor you are inhaling. for example, imagine swallowing a teaspoon of pure nicotine? or 2,000 mgs of nicotine??

You'd be dead. Also- we aren't supposed to be adding stuff to our nic- it specifically says that when you order from a factory. If adding anything to it makes you nervous, then don't do it? Just inhale water vapor and chew some nic gum. No one with any sense in their head is claiming PVs are 100% safe, but general masses agree, they are safer based on a very simple logic...less chemicals (like 3980 or so less) and no known carcinogins.

Darkest

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
Nashville TN
I go through a 10ml 36mg bottle in 2.5 to 3 days and I don't think I'm any crazier/sicker than I was before. In fact now that I'm not smoking two packs of camel unfiltered a day I feel fantastic. So...I have issues with moderation but will maybe be a good test subject as it's been about six months now. I'm now sick and hacking my lungs out but I still feel soooo much better than I did before when I used to get pneumonia every single stinking year. I'm pretty certain this isn't e-cig related. You may wanna PM me every few weeks to see to see if I respond and I'll let you know if I start glowing in the dark or anything :D

JoeSmog

May 11, 2009
Digest:

NASA is planning to use PG-based coolant for the Orion crew exploration vehicle, which is part of the Constellation Program to send human explorers back to the moon and onward to Mars and other destinations in the solar system.

The purpose of this document is to review the existing inhalation toxicology literature on PG and develop maximum acceptable air concentrations for 1 h, 24 h, 7 d, 30 d, 180 d, and 1,000 d of potential exposure to vapors of PG.

link:
books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=12529&page=314

Caveat - need a PHD in Biochemistry to decode ;)

It does look promising for PG, too bad for me it makes me feel weird.
VG is the one that may cause kindey problems..easy to google that one.

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
PG is kind of scary since noone seems to know how inhaling it will affect you, or the long term results of inhaling it in e-cigs, but it sure can't be worse than all the stuff in regular cigs.

You need to read more posts on the forum. Tropical Bob and Kate have post the same studies and information on the forum in lots of different places. There is lots of information on PG if you really look for it. Don't take other peoples word for it look PG up yourself.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Originally Posted by Kate51
My husband just had a colonoscopy, and the day before he had to drink a whole gallon of this stuff, so would take a tremendous amount to do damage..it is a common sufactant in medical preps, it simply keeps whatever the drug is in suspension

It is called Miralax. safe stuff.

Thanks for that, I couldn't find it. Now to clarify: we did not vaporize it before it went were it was supposed to. :sneaky::rolleyes: Just in case I want to make sure my yings-and-yangs are covered here.

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Mpetra, go read the "germ-killing vapor" thread. Read Dr. Laugesen's final report from Health New Zealand. There is NOTHING scary about inhaling PG. Quite the contrary. It might be a benefit to your health! It has been tested and tested and tested ad nauseum, with rats and primates and children and grown people .... This is not some new and scary chemical with unknown effects.

P.S. Thanks Taz. I flew over the keyboard after that post and before reading your reasoned answer ....

mpetva

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Virginia
You need to read more posts on the forum. Tropical Bob and Kate have post the same studies and information on the forum in lots of different places. There is lots of information on PG if you really look for it. Don't take other peoples word for it look PG up yourself.

Mpetra, go read the "germ-killing vapor" thread. Read Dr. Laugesen's final report from Health New Zealand. There is NOTHING scary about inhaling PG. Quite the contrary. It might be a benefit to your health! It has been tested and tested and tested ad nauseum, with rats and primates and children and grown people .... This is not some new and scary chemical with unknown effects.

P.S. Thanks Taz. I flew over the keyboard after that post and before reading your reasoned answer ....

I have read (I think) most of the items pertaining to the danger/non danger of PG. I not worried, just a bit uneasy, but nowhere near as uneasy as I am about all the garbage I was smoking in regular menthol cigs.
So I will continue to vape, thats for sure (I was a chainsmoker and am now down to only a few regular cigs a day) I hope I can keep up the vaping and do away with analogs completely.

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
Does anyone have any information about quantity and duration of using PG? I dont think my concern with PG is its toxicity of short term use, I dont think i am going to puff the ecig and die of PG poisoning. But Im more curious about how the body has to dispose of the PG in significant quantities over time.

For example. Lets say PG does not pose any significant risks to your lungs with moderate intake, but PG puts a strain on your kidneys to remove. Obviously someone only taking in a little bit of PG into their lungs for medication purposes wont have much trouble disposing of it. So its insignificant and deemed safe for these people. Same way if beer was a medication for someone, If they drank a cup or two a day there would be no risk to your liver. But what about duration and quantity. If i drank beer all day long for years, the results would be different. I am sure none of these studies are talking about taking 2,000 mgs or more a day of PG continuously for years.

So i guess my question is are there any studies that talk about concentrated PG exposure in significant quantities, 2+mls a day for a long period of time?

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands

If you actualy read this, and if wanted follow the link to the original studies, you will also find long-term inhaling (of a lot!)
But if you remain this anxious with vaping, then perhaps other alternatives are really better for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread