Synthetic Nicotine - Is there really such a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoryNotVengence

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
USA
yes.

You'd think that ecigs might fall under ATF, not FDA, but most of that is tax related- so aside from that, a synthetic nicotine would still end up falling under the regulation of FDA, because it would still be nicotine (a drug), regardless where it came from.

For instance, naturally occurring opiates (morphine) still falls under the FDA just as the synthetic opiates (methadone) do, and the semi-synthetic opiates (thebaine derivs) do. It doesn't matter where the opiate is derived from, it falls under FDA regs. (and DEA controls, but thats a separate issue).

Did that make sense? I'm awfully tired....communication skills not at 100% efficiency

So, if the nicotine in patches and gum are derived from tobacco the same as in ejuice then why are the patch and gum regulated by the FDA as cessastion products and not tobacco products?

deusXmchna

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
TX
Likely because the patches & gum have gone thru phased human trials and have been classified as nicotine cessation therapy.
Remember, they were originally prescription only products, so the PharmaCo's with the original medical patents on them spent million$$+ in phased trials showing them to be, under controlled conditions, at least minimally effective as smoking cessation products.

No one's done that w/ PV's. You've got the NewZealand report that was (I believe) funded by Ruyan, and Siegal, Seigal (spelling) little questionnaire that PV users reported smoking less. Unfortunately thats not science, that's just a fancy poll.

So, the only way for vaping to become profitable (for the people & companies that wield influence) is for BigPharma to get it registered as a cessation device, and then to wipe out the cottage industry competition.

And since there are prescription nicotine inhalers (10mg/ml) avail now, it's quite possible that once we get shut down, BigPharma will move in with their own version of "nicotine nebulizers" (PV's) for sale for big $$. They may be halfway along the phased trial process, and have been keeping it under wraps.

The bottom line is $$. It's always money.
"Follow the money..."

(sorry- this post didn't flow well. 2hrs of sleep. will try to clean it up after I walk my dogs and get my morning meds in... unless I forget, which is very likely)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread