Syringes or a scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
yup syringes eventually go bad (3mths is a pretty good life span if you were using them regularly). sometimes syringes can go bad within 1-2 uses with some flavorings (the koolada i regularly use likes to ruin them pretty much on first or by 2nd use), there are some reusable luer lock glass syringes you can get (i got mine on wizard labs, amazon has them but, they cost more there), they work pretty well but, kinda tricky to work with.

to keep measurement writting on the plastic syringes from disappearing over time, i put a clear coat of nail polish over it, works well.

Reactions: JCinFLA

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I measure with graduated glass cylinders, a 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100. It works fine but they are easy to break. But for the same money you can get a scale and learn to measure by weight. I'll get a scale eventually but probably still measure flavoring by dripping into the 5 ml graduated cylinder since I only use 1 ml per 100 ml of liquid. You can also use a syringe as a graduated cylinder. Drip into the top while closing off the bottom with a fiinger.

TimF94

Feb 5, 2017
I measure with graduated glass cylinders, a 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100. It works fine but they are easy to break. But for the same money you can get a scale and learn to measure by weight. I'll get a scale eventually but probably still measure flavoring by dripping into the 5 ml graduated cylinder since I only use 1 ml per 100 ml of liquid. You can also use a syringe as a graduated cylinder. Drip into the top while closing off the bottom with a fiinger.
I usually make 30ml batches. Using about 5% flavor which is 1.5 ml how do you use cylinders to measure the flavors?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I usually make 30ml batches. Using about 5% flavor which is 1.5 ml how do you use cylinders to measure the flavors?
The 5 ml cylinder I'm using seems accurate enough. Consider that's it's functionally idential to a syringe, a tube with hash marks on the side. I have 3 ml syringes. If I use one of those I remove the plunger and needle, block the bottom hole with a finger and fill from the top. Then I can pour from the top or move my finger when it's above the mixing bottle. I prefer to drip in to the 5 ml glass cylinder for measuring flavoring.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
I do small quantities with syringes but I do larger batches on a scale. You can get syringes cheap from vet supply places. (google them). I still use ejuicemeup even going by weight. The real PITA is figuring out what each part weighs. VG from one place doesn't weigh the same as every other brand and so on. OH yeah, clear finger nail polish over the numbers helps them last

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Tractor Supply has inexpensive syringes from 3mL up to 60mL. Some of their more rural stores even carry them up to 100mL.

I've been using many of the same ones for more than a year now, because I put a piece of clear packing tape up the side of the syringe, to cover the markings. Only had 1 that "went bad" on me when I used TFA Banana in it (very potent flavoring) that messed up the rubber tip on the plunger.

I ordered some blunt needle tips in sizes from 14 gauge - 18 gauge and they work great on the TS syringes because they have the Luer Lock bottoms on them. I pour my VG and my PG into my mixing bottle, but with a 14 gauge blunt needle tip...you can still also draw VG up in the syringe even though it's thicker.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
Tractor Supply has inexpensive syringes from 3mL up to 60mL. Some of their more rural stores even carry them up to 100mL.

I've been using many of the same ones for more than a year now, because I put a piece of clear packing tape up the side of the syringe, to cover the markings. Only had 1 that "went bad" on me when I used TFA Banana in it (very potent flavoring) that messed up the rubber tip on the plunger.

I ordered some blunt needle tips in sizes from 14 gauge - 18 gauge and they work great on the TS syringes because they have the Luer Lock bottoms on them. I pour my VG and my PG into my mixing bottle, but with a 14 gauge blunt needle tip...you can still also draw VG up in the syringe even though it's thicker.
I use clear nail polish to cover the markings!

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Syringes suck, until they don't.
Then they really blow.

I use a 1 ml. glass eyedropper (graduated). Easy to clean.

For larger amounts I use a childrens plastic 5ml. medicine dropper (graduated). I score the 1,2,3,4 and 5ml. measurement lines with a blade, then colour with a sharpie and wipe off the excess
Again! Easy to dis-assemble and clean after each use.
Both can be got at any drugstore.
Cheers.

oldude 61

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2014
Frankston Tx.
my syringes went to crap about 3 months after I bought them. The labels mushed out. The suction even went bad. Maybe I bought bad syringes. Maybe you could refer me to good branding syringes or I could consider buying a scale. A cheap accurate scale from amazon ?
go to your local feed store they probably have syringes and they are cheap.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
go to your local feed store they probably have syringes and they are cheap.
That's what I do. Good enough to drug a large animal, good enough for me.

The needles they tend to stock are very sharp and hard to snip or file down, so I have to be careful, but they are cheap, work great and go from 1ml to 25ml or so.

Reactions: Eskie

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
The 5 ml cylinder I'm using seems accurate enough. Consider that's it's functionally idential to a syringe, a tube with hash marks on the side. I have 3 ml syringes. If I use one of those I remove the plunger and needle, block the bottom hole with a finger and fill from the top. Then I can pour from the top or move my finger when it's above the mixing bottle. I prefer to drip in to the 5 ml glass cylinder for measuring flavoring.
I use the same type of method however, I use these stoppers to put on the bottom of the syringe, measure my amount of flavoring by pouring or dripping into the syringe, and then just pour my flavoring into my mixing bottle.
Here is an example of those stoppers
5 Pack Luer Lock Syringe Caps

:)

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
VG from one place doesn't weigh the same as every other brand and so on.
Err...it should, though. It really, really should. Unless they're adding something else to it (distilled water, for example) to change its consistency, but at that point it's no longer pure USP-grade and you shouldn't be using it anyway.

Reactions: CDATundra

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
Just throwing in my two cents, and really not trying to muddy the waters on the topic.
My favorite and most used tool for mixing is a (cheap) disposable pipette. They never stick, no matter what flavoring I use.
They are graduated at .25, .50, .75, and 1ml. Makes it pretty easy for small %'s in small batches.
I have been using these for over 2 years. I do wash and re-use them also. When they get cloudy or split I toss them.

For Nic, I use 3ml. syringes from my local Rural King's veterinary isle.

Ultimately when you find what comfortably works for YOU, it will be the RIGHT way for YOU. As long as you are replicating your recipes to your satisfaction its the right way.
:toast:

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Err...it should, though. It really, really should. Unless they're adding something else to it (distilled water, for example) to change its consistency, but at that point it's no longer pure USP-grade and you shouldn't be using it anyway.
The USP spec defines a max water amount, hence, not a constant. Second, water additionally is sucked-in through moisture in air during rebottling/bottles/caps(not all vendors rebottle USP-VG in USP spec cleanrooms). In short, VG viscosity varies. Usually it's pretty same with small variations, and if bigger variations, water has been added as you state. I personally don't care the correct weight-value and use standard ball-park values which is close-enough and repeateble..

Reactions: dobroeutro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread