retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
It is time to replace my ancient tablet. It's a 7" Kobo Vox that I've had for over 6 years and still runs Gingerbread. It's showing definite signs of wanting to die, and so I need to get a replacement before it gives up the ghost.

Generally, I use my tablet as an e-reader with an occasional (albeit rare) foray onto the Internet when needed. I keep looking at the Fire tablets but I'm not wild about them coming with Alexa built into the thing and I'm not sure if the tablet can be set to where Alexa can be ripped out by the roots.

I could go with a plain ol' Kindle, but then I doubt I can side load e-books from other sources. Or I could go with a full blown tablet such as a Samsung, but I'd be spending more $$$ on features I'd rarely use.

So, what do you all use? For those of you that have a Fire tablet, how do you like them?

Reactions: Opinionated

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have an original Kindle Fire that needs to be rooted. It's only on Android 5 and isn't further upgradeable as it stands with the Amazon software. The Fire Tablet is a generic device locked down with their image from my experience. That may have changed since I bought mine many years ago.

I'd buy a 9" or larger generic tablet from Walmart or Amazon. It's nice to be able to hold it and evaluate the display before buying, so Walmart would get my first look.

Reactions: Opinionated

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I have a Fire tablet, but its's an older HDX that I don't believe is still available. I've also had a number of Kindles. The Fire's are a heavily customized version of Android, and missing lots of Android tablet functionality, especially any apps, if any, you might want.

BUT, given my use of it, an e reader and Amazon video, it's outstanding. Still has one of the highest screen pixel counts than many tablets out today, which makes for nice crisp text, and nice video. The browser is eh, but I almost never use it for getting online. I did get mine before the whole Alexa talking assistant came out. I cannot imagine it isn't possible to turn it off. If you live in their retail universe and have a Prime membership, something like their Fire HD10 is a decent option for all of $150 (less for smaller versions). However, it's not, IMO, a tablet. It's an entertainment device.

Still, a dedicated Kindle reader has its place beside a tablet. My daughter has a tablet and I still got her a Kindle reader a while back despite having a Kindle reader app on her tablet. It's lighter, easier to pocket, exceptional from reading on a sunny beach (the whole electronic ink thing) and backlit for late night reading.

And along the line of what DaveP said, if you have a Best Buy nearby, you can play with the Kindle series next to other tablets and see what you think of features and performance at different price points.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I have an older model (3rd generation) Kindle Fire HDX tablet that just died, and im in the same boat as you. Alexa is stopping me from buying another fire, and im not wild about the kindle e readers either.

I loved the Fire HDX that I had... but they no longer make them and I am not willing to spend 100 dollars for a used one, which is what my model is going for right now on average used.

My husband said he will find me another tablet that doesn't have Alexa, but he hasn't even started looking yet.

Whatever you end up going with give me a hollar about, and if my husband makes a suggestion for what I need to buy I will give you one also.. maybe we can both find something decent (and new) without worrying about spyware on our tablets that cannot be uninstalled. lol...

Reactions: Eskie

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I've got the 7" when it was heavily discounted several months back. more then happy after a few yrs of cheap troublesome tabs.

At 8mb it's a tad short on mem but I still have all the apps I like fit on it. Alexa can be disabled.

I doesn't look like any developers have much interest Rooting these beyond having a PlayStore APK.

I'm probably going for the new 8" for CMAS.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c43-40cd-b6af-5758f6b1a8fc&pf_rd_i=6669703011

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I'm a huge fan of the Kindle Paperwhite too. It's uniquely excellent for reading, and I greatly prefer it over a traditional tablet. In fact, I don't even have a tablet right now, having sold mine off due to how close the phones have become to them.

I may get another (tablet), down the line, but my Kindle is "untouchable" status. If you're a heavy reader, I'd strongly recommend it (over the other options).

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2015
    I'd buy a 9" or larger generic tablet from Walmart or Amazon. It's nice to be able to hold it and evaluate the display before buying, so Walmart would get my first look.

I've had a Nextbook Ares 8 (5.0 Lolipop) from WallyWorld for a year and change now.
    I believe the current model has Marshmallow (6.0?), but is still around the $70-$80 mark.

Pretty damn good tablet for the price.

But... it's not a dedicated e-reader with their "easier on the eyes" displays.

Coincidentally, I just rooted the thing a week ago (no problems) because the sweet 64 Gb SD card I put in when new... got stuck in the slot ( :( ) and factory installs of 5.0 (and 6?) don't allow use of a user installed SD card. Don't know why I put it off so long, but I'm not concerned about storage space anymore. :D

---

And Calibre is a pretty rockin' multi-format (all?) reader (I use it on the PCs)... but ATM, I'm using EBookDroid. Nice feature set, interface, controls etc.... so far, so good.

r055co

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    Kindle, best eReader out there . The Kindle Fire though, I wouldn't touch it for it's locked into the Amazon system, much better Android Tablets out there.

If you want an eReader get a Kindle. For a Tablet for other things myself I have the one that was included with my AT&T unlimited data plan and have been pleasantly suprised and been happy with it. I was going to get the Pixel from Google but the one I got for free (ooops cost $1) I've been happy with.

Reactions: DaveP

r055co

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    It is time to replace my ancient tablet. It's a 7" Kobo Vox that I've had for over 6 years and still runs Gingerbread. It's showing definite signs of wanting to die, and so I need to get a replacement before it gives up the ghost.

Generally, I use my tablet as an e-reader with an occasional (albeit rare) foray onto the Internet when needed. I keep looking at the Fire tablets but I'm not wild about them coming with Alexa built into the thing and I'm not sure if the tablet can be set to where Alexa can be ripped out by the roots.

I could go with a plain ol' Kindle, but then I doubt I can side load e-books from other sources. Or I could go with a full blown tablet such as a Samsung, but I'd be spending more $$$ on features I'd rarely use.

So, what do you all use? For those of you that have a Fire tablet, how do you like them?
    Yes you can side load books on the Kindle, just needs to be in mobi format.

Just avoid the Kindle Fire, not worth it IMO

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Last time we renewed our Verizon contract we bought two Samsung Galaxy S7's half price with a 2 year contract and they offered a 10" tablet for almost nothing, but signed us up for a $10/month one year plan because it had to have a phone number assigned to get the deal. So, we paid $120 (12mo x $10) plus a giveaway price ($10, I think) for the tablet. I was dubious but my wife wanted it.

As long as I have a smart phone, the tablet can be dumb in terms of phone capability. I understand that internet calling is available for next to nothing.

How to Call Phones from Your Android Tablet

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I've had a Nextbook Ares 8 (5.0 Lolipop) from WallyWorld for a year and change now.
    I believe the current model has Marshmallow (6.0?), but is still around the $70-$80 mark.

Pretty damn good tablet for the price.

But... it's not a dedicated e-reader with their "easier on the eyes" displays.

Coincidentally, I just rooted the thing a week ago (no problems) because the sweet 64 Gb SD card I put in when new... got stuck in the slot ( :( ) and factory installs of 5.0 (and 6?) don't allow use of a user installed SD card. Don't know why I put it off so long, but I'm not concerned about storage space anymore. :D

---

And Calibre is a pretty rockin' multi-format (all?) reader (I use it on the PCs)... but ATM, I'm using EBookDroid. Nice feature set, interface, controls etc.... so far, so good.

May I ask where you get your Root files from, XDA developers?

tazzle

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    Athens, Greece
    I've had a Kindle since the first version, and can't imagine being without it; it's my one unmitigated solace for living in the world of mixed blessings of the digital age (astonishing magical technology! that many people use to behave like monsters! :facepalm:). I currently have the Voyage, which is a very nice version.

I use Calibre to format non-kindle books (usually non-DRM EPUBs) to mobi, and then use the "send to kindle" Amazon app to deliver to my Kindle and save in my Kindle cloud library. I know I can get Calibre to send directly to my Kindle, but I like having them grouped together for easier browsing and access between the two Kindles we have (the other one is a Paperwhite).

If you like to read in the bath / by the pool, you should consider the brand new waterproof Oasis version!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread