Taking care of eliquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Apparently the nicotine in eliquid is light and heat sensitive. The storage instructions I've read say to keep it in a cool, dark place with the lid tightly fastened. I'm not sure what keeping the lid fastened is about, does it evaporate or something?

There are also the precautions related to handling toxic substances to remember. Keep away from children and pets, don't get it on your skin and don't swallow it.

I don't know if any of the other ingredients in juice require special storage or handling. Maybe some flavourings oxidise if exposed to air for too long?

Does anyone have any information on how any eliquid ingredients degrade or how they should be stored and handled?

Rorschach

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
New York, NY
Funny you mentioned it. I've got a bottle of Janes that has about 8mL left and I've had for about a month and change. I did not refrigerate it but I don't stroll around in the sun with it either. The throat hit is definitely dropping away, I just noticed it in the last two days. Since these are perishable products, I suppose there is a shelf life involved.

I guess it's best to order in smaller amounts than to get a giant supply of e-liquid at a time.

Sorry I don't have any useful information.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Quite a while ago I read some posts about nicotine degrading within a day or so of being exposed to air. I can't remember the details and don't know if it was educated guesses or if that definitely is what happens. Does anyone know? What happens to nicotine when it's in an unsealed cartridge?

Nicotine stored properly lasts for a year or two from what I've heard, can anyone confirm that?

bitfi3nd

Dec 16, 2008
I keep all mine in the fridge. Amber bottles would be a good idea for the suppliers, too. Also, I'm wondering why the bottles don't carry a safety label? If I was selling these (And I ought to, since I've sent literally at least 200 people to Puresmoker since I started using these- I'd be rich!) I'd label the fluid with something like:

"While the e-liquid in this container provides a tasty and satisfying experience to simulate the act of smoking and will satisfy your nicotine cravings, because of its high nicotine content, it is toxic if consumed in any other manner than vaporizing through your favorite e-cigarette. Store in a cool, dark place, refridgerate for long term storage for best results. Keep away from children, and advise them that this delicious liquid labeled "vanilla ice cream" is in fact a poison, and not vanilla ice cream. Nicotine can be absorbed through the skin, so please use care when refilling your device and wash hands and bottle immediately after use. Wipe any excess liquid from the cartridge. Enjoy!" (add skull and crossbones with e-cigarette dangling from mandible.)

I realize that suppliers walk a fine line and do not want to scare users, but all it takes in the current Big Brother/Soviet climate we live in is one ......ed child to take a swig of this stuff and the fun is over for everyone. Like the stupid kid that ruined my "missile firing" Battlestar Galactica" (70's version) by shooting the missile from his Viper down his own throat. I still resent that dead mongoloid and his no-responsibility-taking parents.:mad: How was I supposed to shoot down evil Cylons hell bent on wiping out human life with a glued-in missile?

Let's keep these things around as long as possible, huh? With the total lack of personal responsibility, sue-happy climate, along with our heavily armed .gov nannies "protecting" us from ourselves, a little labeling isn't too much to ask, is it?

Sic Semper Tyrannus, and happy vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread