Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hi!
I just signed up on e-cigarette forum after reading posted comments and answers for several years. Now I have a question...Can you simply soak tanks, empty juice bottles, etc., in a solution of water and Oxi Clean Free & Clear to get them clean?

Hello and welcome to the forums!

First, no you should never use that on your tanks.

First off, this tank holds something you will ingest, that means you need to be careful about whatever you clean it with..

Second, your o rings have to be more gently cleaned.

If you rinse really really well, you can use dawn dish soap, (and I mean really well!) But for normal cleaning just hot water and soaking is sufficient.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
If you rinse really really well, you can use dawn dish soap, (and I mean really well!) But for normal cleaning just hot water and soaking is sufficient.
latest

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I believe eliquids just aren't made up of the type of products that you need that type of cleaner for. Think of it like if you wanted to wash off something like hand lotion. The oxy just wouldn't be what you'd want for that.

Thanks for the reminder tho, I wanted to order some for homemade dishwasher and laundry Detergent to try out :).

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    USA - Arkansas
    I use vinegar and baking soda ONLY to clean vape gear. Vinegar cuts most residue, baking soda for tough jobs or, odor removal, often mixed with vinegar in the bottle or tank so that it foams up and cleans the container well. ALWAYS rinse thoroughly with very hot water and allow to air dry before using whatever you clean again.

Islandswamp

May 17, 2017
    I have a related question... How often should I be cleaning these things? I've rarely cleaned any of these tanks on my two mods and two vape pens, and when I do I just rinse it with warm water. Then again they've never seemed very dirty so it didn't feel important at the time. I usually just cleaned it out because I wanted to change to a very different flavor (or in one case I had a bottle of juice that was so gross I never wanted to taste it again EVER).

Reactions: Eskie

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 3, 2010
    Hawaii
    www.xda-developers.com
    I have a related question... How often should I be cleaning these things? I've rarely cleaned any of these tanks on my two mods and two vape pens, and when I do I just rinse it with warm water. Then again they've never seemed very dirty so it didn't feel important at the time. I usually just cleaned it out because I wanted to change to a very different flavor (or in one case I had a bottle of juice that was so gross I never wanted to taste it again EVER).

Well some flavors like cinnamon don't really come out, but otherwise it's kind of as needed. I keep spares of all my gear and swap out weekly to clean the set I am using. Also a good idea to keep spare o-rings, tank glass, etc if you can. Nothing sucks more than your vape not working with no backup.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I guess times have changed, I always soaked my gear in pure grain alcohol then rinsed thoroughly. If it was a tougher piece of equipment I would boil them using a stainless steel screen over a pot of water.

It's not that times have changed per se, you can still use PGA as it evaporates, but as you cant use it on o-rings since its too harsh and will dry them out and cause them to crack, it's more of a pain to use a different cleaner for your o-rings than the rest of your tank.

Plus, I find when trying to change flavors, that dawn is actually much much better than PGA for getting rid of strong flavors like menthol or tobacco which are near impossible any other way.

So for me, it's simply personal choice as to what I find is better and more simple.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Well some flavors like cinnamon don't really come out, but otherwise it's kind of as needed. I keep spares of all my gear and swap out weekly to clean the set I am using. Also a good idea to keep spare o-rings, tank glass, etc if you can. Nothing sucks more than your vape not working with no backup.

If cinnamon is anything like menthol, it will come out using dawn.

I once got a used Kayfun that had nothing but menthol used in it. It was horrible. First I took out all the o rings and soaked all the parts in PGA, then I boiled it, then soaked it again in PGA, boiled it again, and allowed it to dry completely.. still smelled strongly like menthol, so I went online to find out how to remove menthol from a tank and someone had suggested soaking in straight dawn dish soap, so I tried that. I soaked overnight in dawn, rinsed well and did another boil, and lo and behold the menthol smell was gone.

At that point I put in all new o rings, new glass (as both those components are more porous and harder to remove the menthol from) and put the Kayfun back together..

It was like new, as if it had never been vaped in before. The same person I got the first Kayfun from, sent me his clone as well since I liked the Kayfun so well (very nice person) and that one had, had nothing but menthol vaped in it as well. So instead of starting that time with PGA, I started with dawn, I first washed normally, then soaked in straight dawn, then did a boil and a second dawn soak, followed by an other boil..

That time I didn't change out the glass, but I did change out the o rings and again, good as new.

So I assume the same would work on cinnamon, because it's as strong as menthol is.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain

I agree with @D4rk50ul about how often to clean.. very good advice to clean somewhere around weekly, perhaps biweekly if you don't vape a whole lot .

I once went a whole month without cleaning one of my tanks, and it was getting gunky around the o rings, and more difficult to break down, so that was definitely too long.

But I'm with you, I normally change out flavors or replace the coils etc more often so I don't often think about cleaning just for the sake of cleaning.. but rather just clean when changing everything else out.

Reactions: Dieseler

Islandswamp

May 17, 2017

Maybe I just have insensitive taste buds, but I'm not noticing much if any lingering cinnamon taste in my tank. I was using "The Grind" by Humble juice's Hustle line and it's a dessert flavor that has cinnamon. I actually was upset when I realized it had cinnamon in it because I had heard how rough that flavor was on coils and tanks. After using it for a while I actually started to really like the flavor and when I added a different (but compatible) dessert-like liquid I had no problems at all. This was the very first juice I've tried that had any cinnamon in it though, so perhaps this brand just has a small amount compared to other juices (the flavor is supposed to be an Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich with a hint of cinnamon I believe).

I think that I'll start cleaning the tanks more though, because they're nicer and more advanced than what I had in the past. I want these things to last me a long time!

Reactions: Opinionated

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    The liquids (PG and VG and flavouring) are all water soluble, so, just hot water is just fine.

If there's burnt crap (wick and such), again, hot water should be enough as tanks are usually SS and nothing really sticks to them, but at the same time, if you end up with anything that requires scrubbing, I'd consider changing vaping habits.

How often to clean is "when you actually want to" / "if you feel like it" / "whoops it's a mess in there" / "changing the wick isn't enough to remove the taste of a particular liquid".

I've washed a few of my tanks about once a year... and that was more about having a slip-up and making a mess on the outside of them, but my other tanks, never needed to.

MrStik

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 6, 2013
    SoCal
    I usually clean my tanks with just water. The pressure from the faucet is usually enough to rinse off any residual juice. But if you want it squeaky clean, a soak in grain alcohol like vodka will work. DO NOT USE rubbing Alcohol. They put a poison in it so you can't drink it.. I am sure it is not good to vape the residue of that stuff on your gear..

Highwayman

May 24, 2017
    Hi im new here too, hi everyone :)

I just wash mine in water, hot or cold, and maybe on the occasion use liquid dish soap to cut the gunkier juices away.:thumb:

Generally, water works fine. This could be down to the frequency I wash my tanks though. I might wash my tank once every two weeks but again, on the occaison, I could wash it twice a week (usage and environment pay part to that, I'm an engineer)

I would definitely dry all of the pieces to your tank thoroughly before reassembly, with something like tissue (I find you can blow the residual fibres away easily).

Either way, if you look after your tank it'll last. And I think a clean tank, is a happy tank ;)

Each to their own
    Highwayman :rickroll:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Hi!
    I just signed up on e-cigarette forum after reading posted comments and answers for several years. Now I have a question...Can you simply soak tanks, empty juice bottles, etc., in a solution of water and Oxi Clean Free & Clear to get them clean?
    Welcome and glad you joined. Would not risk it, plain soap and water with a little scrub does the job.

Reactions: Tonee N
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread