Tank confiscation in airport

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in Florida and have a flight attendant friend as well as a lot of frequent flyer friends. What they have told me is to always take the tank off the battery and put it in a ziplock in your carry on with your liquids. Also place the battery in the bin with your cellphone in plain view. Once through security you can put it back together.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
If I walk up to the counter and buy a ticket, then by all means, triple check me and everything about me.

However, we have registered and paid for a seat on a scheduled flight in general, 7 days or more ahead of time.

Seriously, every passenger can be background checked DAYS before they even get anywhere near an airport.

"They" know who we are, where we live, how we paid, where we are going and can deduct from "other" sources where we are staying, who we are seeing and what we will do.

So why all the theater? Why?:facepalm:

Be Safe
I

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
I was in the Army, back in '69 - '70, when planes were being hijacked to Cuba. I don't know how many, if any service members, were on those planes, but the thought of being hijacked to Cuba, didn't sit very well with me, especially since I traveled in my uniform, to get the military discount on the ticket. No one ever considered screening the passengers, to search for anything that could be considered a weapon.

Now, I agree that a quick search for knives, guns, blackjacks, anything that can be used as a weapon, is a good idea. But what you had to go through, Racehorse, because of appliques on your pockets, is in my mind, ridiculous. What did they think that you were going to do, hijack the plane by threatening to throw your pants at the pilot? :facepalm: The same goes for e-juice and batteries. Really, how could they be used to hijack a plane. The scary part, is that this is never going to end. A hundred years from now, they will still be searching people and confiscating any little thing that they consider to be "dangerous".

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I was in the Army, back in '69 - '70, when planes were being hijacked to Cuba. I don't know how many, if any service members, were on those planes, but the thought of being hijacked to Cuba, didn't sit very well with me, especially since I traveled in my uniform, to get the military discount on the ticket. No one ever considered screening the passengers, to search for anything that could be considered a weapon.

Now, I agree that a quick search for knives, guns, blackjacks, anything that can be used as a weapon, is a good idea. But what you had to go through, Racehorse, because of appliques on your pockets, is in my mind, ridiculous. What did they think that you were going to do, hijack the plane by threatening to throw your pants at the pilot? :facepalm: The same goes for e-juice and batteries. Really, how could they be used to hijack a plane. The scary part, is that this is never going to end. A hundred years from now, they will still be searching people and confiscating any little thing that they consider to be "dangerous".

100 years from now based on the direction of nanny state policies. Home security systems will be mandatory with 24 hour a day monitoring. All data will be secured in some high level repository housed in the state of Mexico (once there are more Mexicans in the US than Mexico it will be difficult for them to stay sovereign). All data will be analyzed to estimate criminal potential and arrests will be made at predetermined risk factors, much like how being drunk is based on a blood alcohol level which is ever decreasing. Stock in the penal system will be at all time highs and jobs in law enforcement will be prevalent with a distributed workforce that will live within each housing community.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
100 years from now based on the direction of nanny state policies. Home security systems will be mandatory with 24 hour a day monitoring. All data will be secured in some high level repository housed in the state of Mexico (once there are more Mexicans in the US than Mexico it will be difficult for them to stay sovereign). All data will be analyzed to estimate criminal potential and arrests will be made at predetermined risk factors, much like how being drunk is based on a blood alcohol level which is ever decreasing. Stock in the penal system will be at all time highs and jobs in law enforcement will be prevalent with a distributed workforce that will live within each housing community.
That sounds very Orwellian, as in 1984. :shock:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
What did they think that you were going to do, hijack the plane by threatening to throw your pants at the pilot? :facepalm: The same goes for e-juice and batteries. Really, how could they be used to hijack a plane. The scary part, is that this is never going to end. A hundred years from now, they will still be searching people and confiscating any little thing that they consider to be "dangerous".

:lol: YOu are right Jerry. So much about these things is so ridiculous.

However, I have a certain philosophical and spiritual "terra firma" that I am not going to be constantly thrown off balance because of "outside stuff that happens." I have been in enough situations in my life where I learned that while it may be difficult to change the world, it is always possible to change the way we look at it.

I just refuse to go thru life knee-jerking to every single thing ....... it seems to me that one would become an emotional wreck that way? and I can't see a way to experience any happiness that way.

Constant grumbling about what is wrong is easy and even habitual. But it is also possible to look at what is right with the world and with people......and guess what? There is lots. :)

TSA is what it is. It just not something I expect to change, or anything I feel I can change quickly, and so I find stuff that I DO have more control over to direct my energies to.

If I allowed myself to "get upset" over everything I don't agree with, I would have lost my balance a long time ago. And probably my health, too. ;) We all must choose our battles carefully.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
P.S. I often wonder if other people *see* what I see?

There seems to be this constant message that we are supposed to outcry and our outrage and anger is constantly being "fanned" by the talking heads.........I'm sorry, but I'll not be used as a pawn.

It's funny, most people see not being outraged as "doing nothing", whereas I see it as doing something, because I am not allowing anyone to pull my strings and make me into a puppet. I do not know why this is so prevalent, I don't remember it being this way most of my life.

But I'll be darned if I am going to become *an angry person* because I'm being manipulated that way. The world doesn't need more anger. Does it?

There are much better, and more powerful and enduring virtues that we can develop in ourselves, and anger isn't at the top of my list.

Instead of a constructive message, the message given to people these days appears to be "get angry". I'm sorry, but i don't think that accmplishes anything and I won't be a "tool" for that.

I read Eric Hoffer's True Believer as a young girl and I guess it made a deep impression on me. Everyone should read it.

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
They (the tsa) can confiscate anything they want at their own discression, but they are supposed to allow you the opportunity to not pass through the checkpoint advising you where in the airport you can get a mailing envelope or box to mail it home if you dont want to lose the item. Happened to me passing through nashville on the way to MKE on a flight where I had a minitorch type lighter in my pocket. But there wasnt enough time and the lighter wasnt worth enough to spend the money on a usps mailer.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
TSA agents are Rambo types at time. Maybe he wanted a new tank and liked yours.

I generally have a carto on my battery when I fly. Never had a problem, but I don't see why they didn't just let you vape it in front of them to prove it was safe. The battery is much more dangerous than the liquid in the tank.

My boss, a very frequent flyer, often says:

TSA Agents are the ones that failed the McDonalds entrance exam.

"You want flies with that?" oops, I meant "You want fries with that crap" oops I meant...

NEXT!

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA

Please turn and face the webcam, and then repeat your post.

Thank you for your co-operation.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
Over my life I have come to hate the word "Discretion". Kind of hangs around the other shady word "Interpretation". Rules and regulations are passed in such a vague form it leaves them open to those enforcing those rules. I foresee many more confiscation incidents of electronic cigarette apparatus and liquids under the justification "It could be" or "It could be used for". Here is my last resort plan. Mail your stuff to your destination before you depart by air. Mail it again to home. I have done this in the past with items I thought might be tempting to those with sticky fingers as well. Electronic cigarette items are getting more and more expensive for top line stuff. You can insure it with the carrier of your choice as well. I am willing to bet there are some unsavory characters in the airline system with some mighty nice free stuff. YOUR STUFF!

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I'm in Florida and have a flight attendant friend as well as a lot of frequent flyer friends. What they have told me is to always take the tank off the battery and put it in a ziplock in your carry on with your liquids. Also place the battery in the bin with your cellphone in plain view. Once through security you can put it back together.
Yep. I take the tanks off the PV's (right before I get the liquid's bag), put them in the liquids bag, run them through the screener, take them out of the liquids bag and screw them back onto the PV's. All this in plain sight of about 20 TSA agents. I've never had a problem.

Thursby

Feb 10, 2014
Texas, USA
My boss, a very frequent flyer, often says:

TSA Agents are the ones that failed the McDonalds entrance exam.

"You want flies with that?" oops, I meant "You want fries with that crap" oops I meant...

NEXT!

I tell people something very similar, but it's not meant to be derogatory. It's 100% true that front-line TSA agents are hired from the same pool of candidates as the people whose only other career options are in the food service or custodial industries. If fast-food employees can't get simple things like "hold the pickles" right, putting them in a position of moderate authority isn't going to end well. But, since the TSA is there to provide the illusion of security rather than security itself, there's no incentive to hire higher quality candidates and provide them a living wage. Meanwhile, it's still quite an inconvenience to argue with a trigger-happy idiot who is patting down your 85 year old grandmother and is about to rip out her insulin pump because it might be contraband.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I fly with my tank(s) in my 3-1-1 bag, have not had an issue in 2 years and I fly often enough to be Platinum with Delta every year.

I also fly with 4" shears, forceps, and 2" bandage shears in my carry-on, I'm an EMT so they are tools of the trade. Never been questioned about the shears or scissors but remember when we couldn't have nail clippers. The best part of flying with big orange handled 4" shears is putting them in the appropriate pocket on my EMT pants and watching how many fellow passengers point them out to the flight attendants. I don't do it every flight, sometimes it's just fun.

If you look up allowed carry on items you will see the shears are good to go, the one item that surprises me is you can have a 7" screwdriver. Imagine the damage that could do.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Over my life I have come to hate the word "Discretion". Kind of hangs around the other shady word "Interpretation". Rules and regulations are passed in such a vague form it leaves them open to those enforcing those rules. I foresee many more confiscation incidents of electronic cigarette apparatus and liquids under the justification "It could be" or "It could be used for". Here is my last resort plan. Mail your stuff to your destination before you depart by air. Mail it again to home. I have done this in the past with items I thought might be tempting to those with sticky fingers as well. Electronic cigarette items are getting more and more expensive for top line stuff. You can insure it with the carrier of your choice as well. I am willing to bet there are some unsavory characters in the airline system with some mighty nice free stuff. YOUR STUFF!

I agree with all of that. Except that if you are mailing liquids or batts, it's not legal.

As to the "It could be used for" argument, If you're a woman (and hear that from a male TSA agent) PLEASE PLEASE say the following:

"I'm going to file criminal charges against you for sexual assault. You're in possession of all the equipment you need for that".

cmknight

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2013
China
I fly with my tank(s) in my 3-1-1 bag, have not had an issue in 2 years and I fly often enough to be Platinum with Delta every year.

I also fly with 4" shears, forceps, and 2" bandage shears in my carry-on, I'm an EMT so they are tools of the trade. Never been questioned about the shears or scissors but remember when we couldn't have nail clippers. The best part of flying with big orange handled 4" shears is putting them in the appropriate pocket on my EMT pants and watching how many fellow passengers point them out to the flight attendants. I don't do it every flight, sometimes it's just fun.

If you look up allowed carry on items you will see the shears are good to go, the one item that surprises me is you can have a 7" screwdriver. Imagine the damage that could do.

I had a bullet necklace once. The casing had never been used (never had powder in it), the necklace dog-tag chain went through the hole the primer cap gets pressed into, and out through a hole drilled in the side of the casing. It was confiscated because "it could go off and put a hole through the side of the aircraft". After I shook my head I just looked at the TSA guy and said, "The reason you have this job is because you're too smart to join the army and too stupid to work at McDonald's".

Nataani

Moved On
Nov 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
I have flown with my gear several times, no issues.

I put the tanks and juices in the plastic bags as required for any liquids. Before security I put literally everything that is in my pockets, including my belt, in my carry on. Obvious exception is boarding pass and passport.

An interesting aside though... ABC News Tracks Missing iPad To Florida Home of TSA Officer - ABC News

chawk

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Port Republic,MD,USA
My sister had an antique butter knife... the short handled ones with the rounded tip? Sterling silver. It was actually used as part of her physical therapy after extensive hand surgery and was part of her medical bag. She flew here to Maryland no problem with it in her kit. Had a lovely visit, enjoyed our nieces wedding, packed up to go home. With her antique butter knife with no serration and no points. Rounded. Not pointy. NOT SHARP. The jerk at BWI made her mail it. Swore NO KNIVES are ever allowed on a plane. She showed him the TSA guidelines she printed off to show this was allowable and that she went through TSA with it from Utah. She even demonstrated its use to help prevent the scar tissue from hardening. Did I mention she is a registered nurse? Made no difference. Mail it. After much frustration and nonsense she boarded her flight. In first class. To be given a stainless steel knife with her meal. That was fairly pointy. and had an edge. Really?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread