Tanks vs. clearomizers vs. attys with drip tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pshay1292

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2013
New York
I'm new to vaping. I don't want to keep ordering new things to my house so I was wondering which is better? I want a delivery system that has a long life expectancy so I don't have to order more. I heard clearomizers are good.. But do they last long? And I like the idea of not having to drip 3 more drops every so many puffs. Can you explain the life expectancy of these ??

Omnipanzer

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2011
Ohio
The life expectancy of all coils varies by usage and habits. The wetter you keep the coil the longer it lasts. It also depends on what you consider to be a long time. Clearomizers are great but the heads in them tend to last me about 3-5 days of all day vaping. I get the ones with the replaceable heads. I love the Vivi nova personally (see my avatar) for the best balance of low price, little to no leaks and a changeable coil assembly. I also want to try the new Kanger bottom feeder as it is supposed to keep the wick saturated better than the overhead coil system. Another option for you would be a rebuild-able system as one of the options is a Stainless Steal mesh (SS) or Porose Ceramic wick (PCW).

Hope that helps.

Edit: another option is the cartomizer tank but I've had bad luck with them and don't know enough about them to give you good info but I'm certain one of the great people here will come along and chime in.

Last edited:

Omnipanzer

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2011
Ohio
All coils should be considered a consumable as you will need to replace them even if you are only dripping. I started as a dripper and got annoyed with needing to drip while on the move. I have a two hour round trip commute in traffic so dripping is not best for me. That is when I made the switch to a cartomizer and then I switched to the Vivi tank because everything I read said the flavor it produced was way more pronounced and I agree. The clearomizers are great imho but you will eventually have to change it out. There are clearomizers that are all-in-ones and you'll just throw the whole thing away but the changeable heads tend to be more cost effective, just read the description on them before you buy and you'll be fine.

The choice between dripping, cartomizers or tanks is a personal one and you'll need to try them all before you can know for sure. Luckily we're not talking about much money here. You can get a pack of atomizers, a clearomizer and a tank for $20.

Last edited:

Omnipanzer

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2011
Ohio
Oh yah, you're not locked into anything with an eGo. I'd start with a good clearomizer. They make a bunch of them just for the eGo. It mimics the top cone so you just take it off.

like this one.

or these
v3%20ego%20clearomizer-c.jpg

so it looks like this

The-Beautiful-Vision-Ego-Clearomizer-in-2012.jpg

GregoTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lewisville, TX
I have experience with the old cart+atty system, the clearo, and the tank/carto setups, in that order. I'm lazy and like things to be relatively low maintenance and just work, and work for a long time, before I have to screw with it again. I like the simplicity of the clearos like the Stardust, they're screw, fill & vape. The only thing I dislike about them is that they need filling more often than I want to fill them, and in my case I use them with eGo batteries which die too fast for my liking. However, the clearos last me about 3 weeks before they need to be replaced, which is nice, and they are pretty consistent in vapor production. I now have a ProVari (big battery) and a big 6ml DCT tank. The battery lasts a full day and the tank about 2 days before recharging/refilling. The cartos that are used with the tank last 10-14 days for me and I'm a fairly heavy vaper with 70/30 juice, but they're pretty cheap to replace (under $3). There's a learning curve using a carto/tank, with priming, etc., but once you get that down pat you might like that. Just depends on what you're looking for in terms of simplicity, convenience, cost, etc.

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Assuming I have my terminology correct it depends on the system but a clearo really is just a small tank. All things equal they last the same. Tanks are bigger and you need to fill them less. If you're looking for low profile go with a clearo. what kind of battery or mod are you using?

People have started referring to ViVi Novas as tanks which causes confusion like in the quote above. In actuality they are clearo/tanks. Clearo refers to the way they deliver juice, in this case its with a number of wicks, just like all clearomizers. Clearomizers have been around forever but Vivi Novas and Kanger T3's etc are relatively new to the market, coming out in the last year or so.

Then you have carto tanks that consist of a cartomizer that is either pre-punched with a number of holes from 1 to 3 or you can punch them yourself. The carto slides into a plastic or glass tube and is held in place by either o-rings or grommets. Carto tanks were invented right here on these forums and have been around for a couple of years. If you hear a veteran call something a tank, this is probably what they are referring to.

Both systems hold anywhere from 3ml to 7ml of liquid but the delivery system can make all the difference in the world with your juices.

I like high VG blends and its been my experience that clearo's mute the flavor of thicker juices unless they are modified.

Those using higher pg liquids (thinner) may not notice any difference at all.

I would suggest trying both out since juice is only one of the variables to consider.Your choice of PV's or batteries, preferred voltage range and frequency of use can all have an effect.

Finding the right combination of all these things is the key to successful vaping and can be daunting for beginners but were all here to help you through it. :)

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Awesome post Zapped, I totally agree. If it uses a carto, it's a tank. If it uses a wick and coil head, like a Kanger Protank, Vivi Nova, etc it's just a clearo. Calling a clearo a tank confuses many people that don't know any better.

OP,

There is no way possible to determine which one will last longer. Some people run 10ml of juice through a carto and toss it, I personally get around 30ml through a carto (while in a tank) before I consider tossing it. Cartos will last longer in a properly functioning tank than they would normally, because they are kept wet at all times. Different cartos will last different amounts of time, your vaping habits will change how long you can use a carto, the juice will effect the lifetime, what power you are running at, and when you device to change it.

A carto very rarely just stops working. You could probably vape a single carto for a year, but the draw would be super tight, the coil would be gunked to hell and taste awful, and the filler material could clog up from using certain juices. It's up to you to decide when a carto needs replacing.

Coil heads on clearos are basically the same way, but you do have the option to dry burn the coil head, which can extend the life of it quite a bit. You can also rebuild the coil heads yourself with some new wire and wick.

As for the tank body and clearo body, leaks are generally a result of damaged o-rings. Most tanks out today have extra o-rings available for them on a few sites, some places like IBtanked will even give you a full set of replacement o-rings when you order a tank.

With a tank, inserting cartos over and over can damage the internal o-rings that seal against the carto, This is the most common reason tanks leak, and can be prevented by using a tank filling tool which will give a smooth gradual slope for the o-rings to stretch around the carto, instead of pushing the sharp edge of the carto straight into it.

Clearos come in all shapes, sizes, and designs, some leak, some don't. I have yet to find ANY clearo that didn't leak, from Vision "stardusts" Vivi Novas, Kangers, I've nearly tried them all. Every single one would either leak down the center tube, or leak where the base or top screws on.

I've never had a leaky tank, one of many reasons I hate clearos and love cartos.

Omnipanzer

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2011
Ohio
People have started referring to ViVi Novas as tanks which causes confusion like in the quote above. In actuality they are clearo/tanks. Clearo refers to the way they deliver juice, in this case its with a number of wicks, just like all clearomizers. Clearomizers have been around forever but Vivi Novas and Kanger T3's etc are relatively new to the market, coming out in the last year or so.

Then you have carto tanks that consist of a cartomizer that is either pre-punched with a number of holes from 1 to 3 or you can punch them yourself. The carto slides into a plastic or glass tube and is held in place by either o-rings or grommets. Carto tanks were invented right here on these forums and have been around for a couple of years. If you hear a veteran call something a tank, this is probably what they are referring to.

Both systems hold anywhere from 3ml to 7ml of liquid but the delivery system can make all the difference in the world with your juices.

I like high VG blends and its been my experience that clearo's mute the flavor of thicker juices unless they are modified.

Those using higher pg liquids (thinner) may not notice any difference at all.

I would suggest trying both out since juice is only one of the variables to consider.Your choice of PV's or batteries, preferred voltage range and frequency of use can all have an effect.

Finding the right combination of all these things is the key to successful vaping and can be daunting for beginners but were all here to help you through it. :)

Thanks for clearing that up for me Zapped. So a tank is 3ml or higher (generally) and then there are carto tanks probably originally referred to as just tanks and then there are clearo tanks got it. ;-)

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Thanks for clearing that up for me Zapped. So a tank is 3ml or higher (generally) and then there are carto tanks probably originally referred to as just tanks and then there are clearo tanks got it. ;-)

Not exactly. Capacity doesn't dictate whether it's a tank or not, the design of the device does.

If it uses a wick+coil head, it's a clearo, regardless of brand, materials, or capacity. Vivi Novas, Kanger Protanks, Vision Stardusts, Kanger T3s, Vapeonly BCCs, ALL clearos, because they use a coil+wick head.

If it uses a carto, it's a tank. You can get CE style cartos (that use a wick and coil and no filler material) for your tanks, but it's still using a replaceable carto unit as the device's "engine" if you will.

That's really the easiest way to categorize them- does it use cartos? Yes? Then it's a tank. No? Then it's a clearo.

The AMP tank would be a little different, it uses attys not cartos, but it's still using a replaceable, stand-alone unit inside the tank body, so I'd call it a tank.

Rypp

Oct 12, 2012
UK
I'm new to vaping. I don't want to keep ordering new things to my house so I was wondering which is better? I want a delivery system that has a long life expectancy so I don't have to order more. I heard clearomizers are good.. But do they last long? And I like the idea of not having to drip 3 more drops every so many puffs. Can you explain the life expectancy of these ??

I've been vaping about 6 months and I'm still looking for the perfect delivery system. The Atty's that came with my Ego kit were both junk out of the box so I decided to try clearomizers instead.

After trying a few different ones I first settled on these Vision Ego Rainbow V3 Rebuildable £5.50 - Vaping Spares - Cartomisers Electronic Cigarettes | Vaping Devices | Accessories | E-Liquid - I found the rebuildables to last quite a while, because you can strip them right down they are real easy to clean, produce a good vape and are good if you are into trying different flavours. The replacement heads are dirt cheap too so if there is no problem with the tube you can just swap them over when one dies. I found I would just buy a whole new one when I got paid each month though. I could have probably got away with using it for longer if I just stuck to one flavour juice.

The only bad thing about these is I found they tend to leak a bit. This was probably my own fault for having it in my pocket though and not keeping it upright, YMMV. The capacity was ok and I could go all day and just refill when I got home. I stuck with these for about 4 months until I got fed up with the leaks.

I have a Vivi Nova Vision Vivi Nova V2.5 Long Wick £9.95 - Vaping Spares - Tanks & Accessories Electronic Cigarettes | Vaping Devices | Accessories | E-Liquid I bought this after reading so many comments about how great people think they are, The capacity on this is huge and lasted me ages, but I found the vape way too cool even using the 1.8ohm head - The vapour production was excellent, probably the best I have had but I didn't get that satisfying throat hit and the flavour of my juice seemed really muted, compared with using the same juice in my previous clearos, and after using it for a couple of weeks it has sat in my drawer as my emergency backup. This one wasn't for me.

Recently I purchased two Kanger T2's Kanger T2 2.4ml Tank £4.95 - Vaping Spares - Tanks & Accessories Electronic Cigarettes | Vaping Devices | Accessories | E-Liquid - These are pretty nice but a bit too airy for me, and again the flavour seems muted (probably because of this) I'm also experiencing occasional problems with burnt taste so I wonder if these are not wicking properly. The capacity is great and I'm still happier with these than I was with either of the other two I tried - I will be trying a T3 next as I think the bottom coil will help solve the wicking issue. Leaks don't seem to be a problem.

I am now thinking of trying a rebuildable atty, I know that's probably not what you are after but with the exception of the Vivi Nova the ones I listed here are really cheap, so why not get one of each and see what you prefer. Even if you have to replace it monthly it's still pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Last edited:

molli

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is...it depends on how much you vape also. 60 days and I'm still using my original two clearos with no problems. I did get some metal bottom coil clearos too, and fried one the first day out! Luckily I also got extra coils...lol. I can also get replacement heads for my clearos, that's next on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread