Tarot Nano or Wismec Rx mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pantterpengs

Jul 24, 2017
Hey Guys,

I currently own the cuboid mini and i am looking to switch. I've never vaped over 50W, but i'd like to go in for a mod/kit that has a 75-80W capacity. I've narrowed it down to the above, and need assistance in finalising my purchase. If any of you think that there are better mods than the ones above pls do mention them. Driving factors in picking these two are safety and portability.
Also is it safer to have a built in battery or a removable one? I've been told that an interchangeable battery requires a bit more effort in terms of storage, care taken etc compared to a built in one, is this true?

Lastly if i have posted this in the wrong thread or repeated a topic or discussion, pls do refer me to the similar post.

Thanks,
M.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I don't have a Wismec but I love my tarot nano. If you're using straight wattage mode it's very solid. Solid construction, for it's size it has excellent battery life, the display and chip in it are very good. You can't really go wrong with it unless you're doing TC (not sure if the issues have been addressed, I use wattage modes). I would rate portability and safety to be top tier: you can't really get smaller with the same features, and the thing is really well built.

I have mods with and without batteries. With batteries you generally get longer life (I have 2x 3000 mah batteries in my main mod, in my tarot nano I believe it's 2600 mah total). And because you have more batteries, depending on how it's all wired up you have more potential output in terms of power. It's not less safe if you're being diligent. You just need to be a responsible owner.

You're right though. Stand alone batteries require some extra attention. You need to store it properly to avoid shorts, best to keep a set of batteries married to together and never separate them, and when you charge it you need to make sure it's done in a safe spot and preferably supervised. The biggest thing is just to inspect your batteries and replace them if the wrapping gets torn.

Pantterpengs

Jul 24, 2017
I don't have a Wismec but I love my tarot nano. If you're using straight wattage mode it's very solid. Solid construction, for it's size it has excellent battery life, the display and chip in it are very good. You can't really go wrong with it unless you're doing TC (not sure if the issues have been addressed, I use wattage modes). I would rate portability and safety to be top tier: you can't really get smaller with the same features, and the thing is really well built.

I have mods with and without batteries. With batteries you generally get longer life (I have 2x 3000 mah batteries in my main mod, in my tarot nano I believe it's 2600 mah total). And because you have more batteries, depending on how it's all wired up you have more potential output in terms of power. It's not less safe if you're being diligent. You just need to be a responsible owner.

You're right though. Stand alone batteries require some extra attention. You need to store it properly to avoid shorts, best to keep a set of batteries married to together and never separate them, and when you charge it you need to make sure it's done in a safe spot and preferably supervised. The biggest thing is just to inspect your batteries and replace them if the wrapping gets torn.
Thanks Dom.
I did hear mixed reviews when it comes to TC on the nano, for some it works perfectly fine for some it doesn't. Watched P Busardo's review on YouTube and man was he irritated lol. I mostly use wattage myself like to switch over to TC sometimes.but I think my TC spells will be fulfilled by CCW.

The reason I asked about the external batteries is because I was not sure if I wanted the tarot nano or tarot mini, the only difference between the two is internal battery (nano) and 1865 (mini)

Since I travel quite a bit the debate is, is it worth carrying all the extra stuff required for external batteries.

For air travel I think the mini makes more sense as the batteries can be removed and the mod dumped in checked in baggage, the internal ones attract questions at security.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Thanks Dom.
I did hear mixed reviews when it comes to TC on the nano, for some it works perfectly fine for some it doesn't. Watched P Busardo's review on YouTube and man was he irritated lol. I mostly use wattage myself like to switch over to TC sometimes.but I think my TC spells will be fulfilled by CCW.

The reason I asked about the external batteries is because I was not sure if I wanted the tarot nano or tarot mini, the only difference between the two is internal battery (nano) and 1865 (mini)

Since I travel quite a bit the debate is, is it worth carrying all the extra stuff required for external batteries.

For air travel I think the mini makes more sense as the batteries can be removed and the mod dumped in checked in baggage, the internal ones attract questions at security.

The TC still works on the mod, and you can still dabble with it. I've done it and for that kind of usage it's fine.

One thing I would mention though is that the whole point of a mod like the nano, is to be discrete and portable. Everything about it screams portability. I personally can't think of a better mod that I would take on vacation. You can slip it in your bag, keep it in your shorts while out and about. Using it is not obtrusive, and you don't need to carry around a ton of gear. The coils are smalls and you just need a USB charging cable.

IMO when you get a mod with batteries, you're better off foregoing that convenience and portability for power. Bringing along something with external batteries means bringing the mod, chargers, batteries, gear to make sure those batteries are properly stored (i.e. battery cases). It's worth it when you're looking for performance. I'm a fan of dual, trio, or quad battery set ups, but those aren't things I would take with me on a trip. I'd take something small that is easy to use and fits in my pocket without the need for extra gear.

I also disagree with what was said above me. A DNA60 mod is not good for the long run. Even right now it can't run a lot of the new tanks and coils. I don't think sitting around wrapping coils for TC in your hotel room is something that is very convenient either. And I think if you're getting a mod that takes batteries, it's worth pushing 150W+.

Just my 2 cents. I don't know if you've ever held a nano, but it's small. Has 33% more power than a DNA60 mod. And the 2600 mah battery is pretty decent too.

Here it is next to an iPhone:

GqBjx8P.jpg

batteredwombat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
There are plenty of premade 316lSS coils, so you don't have wrap. A 2 bay charger and 2 batteries doesn't take up much space (barbasol can). 60 watts pushes my 30mm armomaizer plus with dual fused claptons 4mm 7 wrap. Pushing 80watts on a 2600mah will need to be charged a few times a day. One bad thing with non-removable battery is being tethered to an outlet, when you can just keep a battery in a silicone sleeve and switch out. If you do get a removable battery mod, go for Samsung 30q, vtc6, LG doo doo browns. I almost got the tarot nano, looks nice, but the TC control is not reliable. For wattage mode, portability, low wattage vaping, the tarot nano does fit the bill for a vacationing mod. Unfortunately, even with all the advice in these forums, one usually has to go through some vape gear purchases to find out what they prefer, and either sell it or keep them as beater mods.

Pantterpengs

Jul 24, 2017
If it were me, I would consider a dna60 mod (mabey epitie by lost vape) for TC and get some 316l or 430ss (have to download 430 tcr from steam engine and set in escribe). The dna 60 will cost more, but it is totally worth it in the long run. Good luck.
batteredwombat i did have a look at the DNA mods but the Vaporesso ones seemed appealing, more easily accessible rather than appealing (currently in the middle east)
Thanks for the suggestion, appreciate it :)

Pantterpengs

Jul 24, 2017
The TC still works on the mod, and you can still dabble with it. I've done it and for that kind of usage it's fine.

One thing I would mention though is that the whole point of a mod like the nano, is to be discrete and portable. Everything about it screams portability. I personally can't think of a better mod that I would take on vacation. You can slip it in your bag, keep it in your shorts while out and about. Using it is not obtrusive, and you don't need to carry around a ton of gear. The coils are smalls and you just need a USB charging cable.

IMO when you get a mod with batteries, you're better off foregoing that convenience and portability for power. Bringing along something with external batteries means bringing the mod, chargers, batteries, gear to make sure those batteries are properly stored (i.e. battery cases). It's worth it when you're looking for performance. I'm a fan of dual, trio, or quad battery set ups, but those aren't things I would take with me on a trip. I'd take something small that is easy to use and fits in my pocket without the need for extra gear.

I also disagree with what was said above me. A DNA60 mod is not good for the long run. Even right now it can't run a lot of the new tanks and coils. I don't think sitting around wrapping coils for TC in your hotel room is something that is very convenient either. And I think if you're getting a mod that takes batteries, it's worth pushing 150W+.

Just my 2 cents. I don't know if you've ever held a nano, but it's small. Has 33% more power than a DNA60 mod. And the 2600 mah battery is pretty decent too.

Here it is next to an iPhone:

GqBjx8P.jpg
Damn thats really small, looks smaller than my current cuboid mini. And no, I've not held the mod.

I totally agree that portability wise the nano makes a lot of sense. My travels are often motorcycle rides and for that i think the nano is fitting. While touring I could see my mate struggle with his Sigelei, switching between batteries, always on the hunt for a reliable power source to plug in the external charger, the battery boxes and so on. During a trek he ran out of power on both set of batteries and we ended up vaping the cuboid plugged into a power bank, so yep.

The travel i was addressing was specific to air travel. I've been stopped twice during security asking me what the mod was. Once i told them it was a power bank and they asked me to plug it in, managed to escape that bit, the next time i told them it was an attachment for a battery powered tooth brush, lol what can i say. So that way the tarot mini made a bit of sense cause I could just remove the battery dump it in checked in and carry just batteries in cabin baggage. Also it has a USB charging option so that would take care of any emergency charging requirements, the battery cover needs to be opened to access the port which seems a bit odd. I know its an on board charging option that doesn't mean they literally put it on the board :D

I quite like the OMNI board and taking a leaf from your book, DNA stuff in general is a bit difficult to access in the middle east.

Pantterpengs

Jul 24, 2017
There are plenty of premade 316lSS coils, so you don't have wrap. A 2 bay charger and 2 batteries doesn't take up much space (barbasol can). 60 watts pushes my 30mm armomaizer plus with dual fused claptons 4mm 7 wrap. Pushing 80watts on a 2600mah will need to be charged a few times a day. One bad thing with non-removable battery is being tethered to an outlet, when you can just keep a battery in a silicone sleeve and switch out. If you do get a removable battery mod, go for Samsung 30q, vtc6, LG doo doo browns. I almost got the tarot nano, looks nice, but the TC control is not reliable. For wattage mode, portability, low wattage vaping, the tarot nano does fit the bill for a vacationing mod. Unfortunately, even with all the advice in these forums, one usually has to go through some vape gear purchases to find out what they prefer, and either sell it or keep them as beater mods.
I kind of get what you mean, my cousin has 2 mods and a tube that he doesn't use. He loves his Wismec Reuleaux, IMO that thing is bloody huge.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you do travel a lot, a smaller setup makes sense. I just love aspire products and you might consider the Aspire Zelos kit if you want to do MTL or even 0.7 coils, on the Nautilus 2 which I love. It's not the cheapest starter kit but you can use TC and adjust watts.

If you end up wanting something heavi(er) duty which you may eventually build other tanks on, I can't say enough good things about the Tesla Steampunk Nano. It is heavy (but I like that) and small and ergonomic. It also puts out the smoothest vape (at lower watts than some of my other tanks) and has TC mode for if you need it... you can always use a smaller tank if you want, or sub-ohm, but probably not like crazy. Currently I am underutilizing its capacities but the battery life is great. That said, you may just want to get yourself set up with something simpler for a while first.

Battery safety is important, Mooch's blog can be a good place to start for that and figure out what kind of batteries you might want.

Good luck!

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I agree, Internal battery may invite confiscation in some countries. I believe you may be looking for an external Mod that has a stealth profile and at the same time can be charged from a wall plug via the USB.
Could sort through Kat's Mod spreadsheets:
Little itty bitty mods under $100.
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor
A Guide to Safe Charging - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety
Just, hit "like" at bottom right hand corner of this post if you need any more information and I (or someone else) can read your question and get back to you.

Pantterpengs

Jul 24, 2017
Thanks Anna, I shall go read moochs post anyway. Thanks for the links BOB,
But I have FINALLY made my purchase!
I was surprised by the flavor that this tank gives out.
I noticed that the tank doesn't sit flush at the base there is a very tiny gap of the left side. Could this be cause of the 510 pin? tried my TFV4 tank its still skewed a bit.
Is this normal? should i wait it out and see what happens or send an email claiming warranty or what have you.
IMG_20170726_125837228.jpg

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I noticed that the tank doesn't sit flush at the base there is a very tiny gap of the left side. Could this be cause of the 510 pin? tried my TFV4 tank its still skewed a bit.
Is this normal? should i wait it out and see what happens or send an email claiming warranty or what have you.

For the most part, you do not screw down tanks to make them flush. Do this too often and you will depress the pins on the mod and/or tank and then be in trouble.
Leaning a little to one side is also common - it depends how accurately the connection is lined up.
Basically, unless you are getting some mad (unacceptable) wonky thing going on, forget claiming on a warranty... there's nothing to claim for, unless you want to argue that the workmanship is a bit rubbish or something.

Good luck. Enjoy your new vaping rig. :)

Pantterpengs

Jul 24, 2017
For the most part, you do not screw down tanks to make them flush. Do this too often and you will depress the pins on the mod and/or tank and then be in trouble.
Leaning a little to one side is also common - it depends how accurately the connection is lined up.
Basically, unless you are getting some mad (unacceptable) wonky thing going on, forget claiming on a warranty... there's nothing to claim for, unless you want to argue that the workmanship is a bit rubbish or something.

Good luck. Enjoy your new vaping rig. :)

Got it, nothing major happening was just a question i thought i'd put across. I read a bit about it and the wismec and vaporesso 510's are a bit off.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
One more thing i just noticed that the nano tends to get a bit warm (not like crazy warm) while charging it, specially near the screen and button area. This normal? using the cable provided and iphone charger.
I didn't notice this on my cuboid mini nor the smokr80

Mine gets warm but there's no issues - same with when I charge my phone.

It's surprisingly small, even though you're constantly told its small, when you get it in your hand - innit.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Yep, its F*****G small. I can probably hold it in my palm and get passed security :D
Cant get over the flavor and vapor production, at 35-40W it gives out perfect flavor, almost as good as the big baby on my mates mod. I guess i am exaggerating a bit:)

Are you using the ceramic coils or the clapton coil?

I like the ceramic coils better but there's a couple things I learned:

• This may be wrong, but I get the impression that VERY citric juices will ruin the ceramic. I burned out 3 coils in 3 days vaping a straight lemon/lime flavour. Then went over a week using a more moderate citric flavour (Kiwi, Apple, Honeydew).
  • I get the impression that ceramic wicking is dependent on you doing consistently firm draws. I usually subohm but take light draws. I need to take moderately firm draws to keep the wicking wet. I don't think it just soaks up juice like a sponge which regular cotton only wicks do.
  • Because it's ceramic dry hits will feel a lot less harsh, you might not even notice them. That's why it's even more important to have firm draws because you could be burning the wicking without even realizing it.
  • If flavour or vapor intensity goes down (usually while chain vaping), cover the tip and the airflow holes with your mouth and suck firmly. You'll see a bunch of bubbles come out of the wicking holes. I never managed to flood the tank or get leaks while doing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Pantterpengs

Jul 24, 2017
Are you using the ceramic coils or the clapton coil?

I like the ceramic coils better but there's a couple things I learned:

• This may be wrong, but I get the impression that VERY citric juices will ruin the ceramic. I burned out 3 coils in 3 days vaping a straight lemon/lime flavour. Then went over a week using a more moderate citric flavour (Kiwi, Apple, Honeydew).
  • I get the impression that ceramic wicking is dependent on you doing consistently firm draws. I usually subohm but take light draws. I need to take moderately firm draws to keep the wicking wet. I don't think it just soaks up juice like a sponge which regular cotton only wicks do.
  • Because it's ceramic dry hits will feel a lot less harsh, you might not even notice them. That's why it's even more important to have firm draws because you could be burning the wicking without even realizing it.
Was vaping on the standard 0.4 clapton, found the sweet spot right away. Just changed it to the ceramic, letting in steep before I take a hit.

Now that you mention it I guess i too take light draws. Will take firmer draws on the ceramic, this is good info Dom. Your logic does make sense, even though its pours ceramic its going absorb less than cotton so a firmer draw would be ideal.

As far as ruining the coils goes I dont think citric juices should make a difference cause if I am not wrong the material used is alumina, zirconia and glass to make microporous ceramic. But i could be wrong, i'll have a closer look at the coil once i am done with it or maybe fry a few and see for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread