Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I'm impressed! You didn't say you had it analyzed. But, I only have experience with this and the crap from CW. This one vapes well with the Steam-Engine CSV, CW version does not.
Personally I have standardized on NiFe52, I just like it. 316L seems to have its adherents, I may try that one day as well.
I wrap single coils at 8/7 and 7/6 and don't want the resistance getting too high for TC, which I have experienced a couple of times. Of course, if you are sensitive to Ni, your not going to want NiFe, Ti may be the sole choice for vaping TC.
I didn't have it analyzed, that came from the page that you linked to. CW 430 works just fine with a correct CSV value. I'm not quite sure of it's exact figure but it's in the area of 0.0019 - 0.002.
I tried to get Steamengine to list it but it didn't happen.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I'm baffled and amazed.
Will twisted SS always beat the .... out of single strand SS coils in TC?

All builds got the slightly browned cotton to set the correct TCR.
All builds tested on 5 different SX350j Boxers with same results between them.
All built using as much metal as possible aiming for as close to .2Ω as possible.
All tested using Sally's rayon cellucotton wicked correctly.

Twisted dual Unk SS430 28ga @ 420F and 50J = good but too airy in 30mm Plus
Twisted dual Unk SS430 28ga @ 420F and 50J = awesome in 25mm Boreas.
...so I tried some thicker ga single strand and...
Dual 316L 26ga @ 420F/50J = calling it lame is generous in 23mm 'mizer V2.
Dual 430 26ga Zivipf @ 420F/50J = same lame result in 23mm 'mizer V2.

Same tank using twisted 28ga dual Unk SS430 @ same settings...
Glorious. The angels are singing.

I thought the 'mizer was just a crappy tank for TC.
Tried twisted Unk as the last chance and holy toledo. Same as in the Boreas.
6/5 wraps of 3mm id twisted 28ga just fits.
Clouds of tasty vapor instead of weak, barely-taste-it hits of dryness.

I tried twisted in VW mode before and it barely made any difference compared to single strand IMO. How could it make such an amazing difference in TC?

Last edited:

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
noticed zivipf have zirconium and tungsten wire in a few guages. Imeo has been selling Zr springs for the timemahos for a while. TCRs for Zr and W seem pretty good (0.004'ish). Resistivity for W looks pretty low. Main worry for me for W would be toxicity. Any thoughts?? Anyone tried Zr??

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I have dry-burned resistherm which is similar and no obvious issues with that!
Much Appreciated!

I put a single 3mm spaced 8 wrap 24g in the Hadaly. Using SE's Nifethal 70 CSV on the DNA 75 Inbox and it's squonking like a charm! This wire could easily replace stainless for me based on this first attempt. I'll have to twist up some 26g and see how that works out.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    26569036820_47c5f2852d.jpg

I dry burn my NiFe all the time. Then again, I don't get my nose down real close like and sniff whatever is burning off of it ether. ;)

billybc96

ECF Veteran
    Aug 24, 2010
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Living in the US, good suppliers of NiFe wire (of any type) appear to be somewhat sparse, and I prefer not to order from overseas if I can help it - just because of shipping costs and how long it takes to receive your order. (Sometimes the currency exchange rate can be a negative as well.) My interest in NiFe30, and similar wire, is for TC MTL builds in suitable RTAs - like my Kayfun Mini V3 clones, Digiflavor Siren, Serpent Mini V3 and Augvape Merlin. None of those are perfect for TC vaping, but I'm a MTL RTA guy, and there aren't all that many good RTAs available for my needs. I just ordered one (all anyone appeared to have left in stock) SS 22mm Digiflavor Siren, that holds 4ml of juice. They are well reviewed (even in TC mode). I'm very hopeful it will workout well for me, but I like my other RTAs as well.

To go along with my burgeoning interest in MTL TC, I just ordered 2 spools of Resistherm NiFe30 wire from Dicodes USA. It's a little expensive at $22 per 10m spool (about 30ft.?), especially considering S&H is about $7.50 - which is why I ordered 2 spools instead of one. I had also considered Reactor (NiFe) Wire from Vape Vine, which would've been $24 for an approximately equal length of NiFe wire (two 15ft. spools equaling about one 10m spool of Resistherm). Shipping would have been free on orders over $25, so I probably would've got 3 spools of Reactor Wire (45 feet) for $36.

I may try that wire later, but it doesn't look all that different in performance for my needs when compared to Resistherm in Steam Engine, so for now the Resistherm seemed a better choice. I'm planning on doing 7-8 wrap 3mm ID builds with the 28 gauge Resistherm NiFe30, which would workout to about 0.35 to 0.40 ohms resistance. I think that'll be fine for (relatively low power) TC MTL lung vaping on the above mentioned RTAs, but please let me know if you think I'm wrong about that. I haven't checked what the sweet spot resistance for Resistherm NiFe30 should be yet. It might end up being something a bit lower, but I think I'm close.

The build area is generally small on these MTL RTAs, so there isn't a lot of room for many spaced wraps. I usually do a very similar build with 26 or 28 gauge SS 316L wire, using either a 2.5 or 3mm ID, which works out to a resistance of about 0.50 ohms. I had poor TC luck trying to use above ohm SS 316L builds, but I haven't really tried builds in the 0.60 to 0.80 resistance range yet - which should work a bit better.

Using my iStick Pico 75W I have trouble with smooth TC power delivery when using SS 316L wire. Because of that, I ordered a 3D printed Rebel DNA75W 1x26650/18650 box mod from the UK a week ago, just because I've never had a higher end mod before and want to try one out, but still want the device to be relatively small and light. I'm hoping the DNA75 board will do better smoothly delivering TC power to SS 316L builds, but I think I can do better on either of these box mods using Resistherm NiFe30. The UK based Stealth Vape NiFe30 looks like it wouldn't be all that suitable, as many more wraps of the stuff would be required to get a resistance level I think would be appropriate for my needs. Any suggestions on what sort of build I should be shooting for when using Resistherm for TC MTL vaping in a MTL RTA?

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    I was using .00138 TCR for Unk 28ga SS430 twisted and it worked fine.
    I just twisted some CW 27ga SS430 and dry burn @ 420 started browning at .00148-149
    I'm using .00148 TCR with the CW and getting good results.
    Anyone get similar results with 27ga Crazy Wire SS430?

It's a little tricky comparing this with my usual vape.
    I used 27ga this time for rigidity with rayon-stuffing the 4mm coils in the Plus.
    I forgot that the juice I used is the 1mg I use at nighttime. I usually use 3mg.
    Further complications are this Plus has way more airflow and the juice has menthol notes.
    The 1st lesson in troubleshooting anything is only change 1 variable at a time.
    Derp. I changed 4. Derp-erpa-derp.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    I think I can do better on either of these box mods using Resistherm NiFe30. The UK based Stealth Vape NiFe30 looks like it wouldn't be all that suitable, as many more wraps of the stuff would be required to get a resistance level I think would be appropriate for my needs. Any suggestions on what sort of build I should be shooting for when using Resistherm for TC MTL vaping in a MTL RTA?

Forget about resistance and go by coil mass and heat flux. Certain wires have a very low resistance, but they will vape pretty equal to a coil if higher resistance wire as long as the wire gauge, coil id, and wrap count is identical (at the same wattage of course).

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2015
    Birmingham, England
    Forget about resistance and go by coil mass and heat flux. Certain wires have a very low resistance, but they will vape pretty equal to a coil if higher resistance wire as long as the wire gauge, coil id, and wrap count is identical (at the same wattage of course).

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk
    Absolutely. In TC, resistance is futile!

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I did the dry burn test. TCR = .00138

I didn't, I just knew what the temp I like 'feels' like with Unkammen 430 and it matched at the same TCR.
    Thanks for doing the test, makes me feel better.
    I like Zivipf a lot. I've never received bad wire from them and they have all manner of wire and gauges.

kiba

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 21, 2012
    Alexandria, Va, USA
    www.facebook.com
    So if can I use my Nicotine Salt e-juice at 15mg?

They warn not to sub-ohm the nic salts... Even though I've gone down to .7 with 'em.
    We don't really know anything about those "salts" or what they break down into chemically when subjected to intense heat. If you are concerned about that, ofc the safest bet is not to use them.

My guess is when they say "not to sub-ohm" them they are taking heat into consideration but in TC as previously stated resistance doesn't matter bc the board controls your wire temp.

From the research that I've done, it's been proposed that the nicotine salts are more readily absorbed by the body, and being that way; sub-ohm vaping the nic salts makes a greater amount of nicotine "ingested" per vape. (I.e. #CloudsBroClouds)

Hence my confusion.

Will TC vaping, let's say on NiFe48 27g, at around 0.3 ohms, be a massive cloud chase? (Which is what I do NOT prefer)

Right now I'm at 1.8 ohms at 12 watts on the Dicodes with Power Boost and extremely happy!

I'm still waiting on my vape-mail to test for myself but I'd figured I'd ask here first.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2015
    Birmingham, England
    From the research that I've done, it's been proposed that the nicotine salts are more readily absorbed by the body, and being that way; sub-ohm vaping the nic salts makes a greater amount of nicotine "ingested" per vape. (I.e. #CloudsBroClouds)

Hence my confusion.

Will TC vaping, let's say on NiFe48 27g, at around 0.3 ohms, be a massive cloud chase? (Which is what I do NOT prefer)

Right now I'm at 1.8 ohms at 12 watts on the Dicodes with Power Boost and extremely happy!

I'm still waiting on my vape-mail to test for myself but I'd figured I'd ask here first.
    very roughly, if you make a kanthal build, say 6 wraps 28g around 2.5mm coming out around 1.2 ohms i guess or thereabouts, and make the same build with NiFe48, you will get a similar kind of vape. The resistance of the TC build is not so relevant. A 6 wrap 27g coil with NiFe48 will not produce massive clouds in the same way that the kanthal build doesnt!

I think folks seem to want to make TC vaping a lot more complicated than it really is sometimes!!

Last edited:
    A couple of you guys summed it up pretty good concerning wire types so I'll not say much except this:
    If a coils looks the same (gauge, wraps, spaces/?) on a regulated mod it pretty much vapes the same. (IMO)
    SS316/317 (w/TC) are not included in above opinion....LOL

I've been reading this thread from back-to-front and just stumbled upon this!

---

I think folks seem to want to make TC vaping a lot more complicated than it really is sometimes!!

It's kind of like the menu system in the Dani Extreme V3. As I was researching, the week before I received it, all the reviewers were aghast at the menu complexity, but I've been using it for the past 36-hours and I feel right at home.

It's incredibly intuitive, and I love how it keeps your place when you pop-out to confirm a selection.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread