TC for me, and not going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Wish I hadn't waited so long to use TC. My builds were always with kanthal and wattage mode and was fine with that. Since getting SS wire and building (still using wattage mode) I was getting the same type of vape with my kanthal. My problem is I like long pulls and my builds get hot pretty quick and not always enjoyable, and as a result, I didn't build much and used stock coils that preformed better than my builds. Picked up another Pico this week and decided to use it instead of putting it away and put my build in TC mode and boom... loving it!

The consistency of the vape is awesome and I pull as long as I like and get great flavor every time. My builds last longer too and I don't seem to be rewicking as often as I did in wattage mode. I still like stock coils time to time, but I think my building is going to strictly be SS in TC mode for the most part.

Using a Pico with a Toptank mini rba, SS 316L 28g, 8wraps spaced, and 2.5mm diameter with TC set to 370 and 12watts. I can't put the darn thing down. :)

That's my experience anyway.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Welcome to the dark side...:p

I started with NI (which I have an abundant stock of) and still find it fine for some builds, but once SS came out and figured it out (as it's a bit trickier than NI due to wire mass required to register) I've not really grabbed anything but my 28 or 26 gauge SS for a very long time now.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I started TC about a week ago. I still can't replicate how I vape in power mode but I think I will eventually get there.
I just made the same SS build that I did with kanthal and fiddled with the settings until it vaped right for me. You'll get there too.

smokinGAVIN

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2014
Manila, Philippines
I just made the same SS build that I did with kanthal and fiddled with the settings until it vaped right for me. You'll get there too.

I tried that and I didn't get the same results. I always built contact coils but with TC spaced coils worked better for me.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I tried that and I didn't get the same results. I always built contact coils but with TC spaced coils worked better for me.
I ended up doing spaced coils because they were easier to do once I got the hang of it and I don't have to pulse them much at all.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
It can depend on your mod..

And don't aim for a small coil, I find what works best for me is as large as the deck can take in either 28 or 26 (prefered) gauge, then a fair wattage (I stick to 45-50W), and I don't case about the resistance as long as it's over 0.2omh (I can go from 0.2/3 to 0.8 and I find no real difference as the settings balances the ramp up), and anywhere from a 2.5mm to a 4mm width, I can have a nice warm vape at around/between 360 to 420F

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I for one love 316ss also. It's very versatile. Just wished a few of my older mods could do tc in ss
Me too. Right now only my Pico's do SS. Have other TC mods, but no option for SS. Was thinking maybe figuring out how to use Ti mode with SS by fudging some numbers or something.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Yay fer you Bonski! I made the switch about a month ago. Glad I finally did. Also glad I had Picos when I first tried it. I've read that the Pico somehow deals with SS better than some other mods. Running 28 awg 316L in 5 tanks @ .65 - .7 ohm, 25w, 400°.

I have a Smok that that just doesn't cut it for me in TC mode. Not a wire issue however, I just can't hit my sweet spot with it cuz it won't let me set the watts in TC mode. It "senses" the coil and dictates what the wattage is gonna be. Only way to change Vape is a "hit strength" setting but my Vape is somewhere between MIN and SOFT.:oops: Eh, no biggie, it makes a good single bay charger and my 4th Pico is on the slow boat.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I have a Smok that that just doesn't cut it for me in TC mode. Not a wire issue however, I just can't hit my sweet spot with it cuz it won't let me set the watts in TC mode. It "senses" the coil and dictates what the wattage is gonna be.
I don't think I would enjoy TC mode without the option of changing the wattage. Being a tootle puffer as it is I don't need a huge ramp up.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Maybe I'll sing a different tune when my Baby Alien gets here and I can finally give TC a try, but I don't get why people care about the wattage setting. The way I understand TC mode, the device should use all the watts it has available to get the coil up to temp, and then throttle back the wattage automatically to maintain that setting. You don't need to tell it how many watts to use, you just tell it what temperature you want and it takes care of the rest. How can it maintain your temperature setting if you're dictating how many watts to use the whole time? Do I not understand how TC works?

Reactions: Foggy Road

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Maybe I'll sing a different tune when my Baby Alien gets here and I can finally give TC a try, but I don't get why people care about the wattage setting. The way I understand TC mode, the device should use all the watts it has available to get the coil up to temp, and then throttle back the wattage automatically to maintain that setting. You don't need to tell it how many watts to use, you just tell it what temperature you want and it takes care of the rest. How can it maintain your temperature setting if you're dictating how many watts to use the whole time? Do I not understand how TC works?
If I set my Pico for the full 75watts of power it will reach 370F pretty darn fast and it's to hot for me. I don't understand all how it works, just know what I have found that works for me. :)

EDIT: I think also (for me anyways) if I set the watts to high I'll reach the temp. protection to fast and not get a decent vape. Still learning about it all.

Last edited:

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    Depends if you like to creep up to temp or have it ramp up right away. I adjust my wattage to the size of the coil. It's pretty relative to what I used in power mode with same size coils even tough ohms are way lower.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2015
    Once I started using SS316L in my own builds and with pre-made coils there was no going back. I am still using wattage mode because some of my tanks do not offer SS coils. But if I wasn't pleased with the vape I wouldn't still be using them.
    Same here. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread