TC - protect or maintain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
I have a mod in the post that is capable of TC. I've been reading lots and watching lots of videos.

Some stuff I've looked at, talks about TC in the same terms as the 10 second cut off.
The assumption behind this seems to be that, during a puff, the coils ability to consume liquid is greater than the wicks ability to supply liquid. So with VW as the wick dries out the temperature increases and the wick burns. From this perspective, assuming you have set the temp correctly, when the mod sees the wire get to its set temperature it knows the wick is nearly dry and the vape has ended. So the mod will cut off the power until the fire button is pressed again. That is, TC is protecting the wick.
If the cut off is too soon you would need to reduce watts, so in this senario, when in TC mode, the up and down buttons would still adjust Watts, and the set temp would be hidden away in the menu.
The manuals are not clear about this.

On the other hand, some stuff suggests that the mod is maintaining temperature, and as such the temperature should be adjusted to match the coils wicking ability. In this senario, when in TC mode, the up and down buttons would adjust temperature. In which case I am not sure what the watt setting does. Is it "always use so many watts or use nothing" OR is it the max watts to use, and thus can be used to protect the battery.

So which is it?

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hola,

"The basic principle behind temperature control is simple.

...you set the maximum temperature you want the atomiser to achieve. When you press the fire button the mod monitors the temperature (resistance) and automatically adjusts power to bring the coil up to that temperature as fast as possible, then keep it there.
TC only monitors the change in the resistance of the wire. There are no sensors for wick wetness. wicking ability nor actual temperature.
"Time out" is unrelated to TC.

Cheers
I

Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
On my mod the up and down buttons control both temp and wattage in TC mode...... so yeah i can set target temp then vary watts or set target watts and adjust to temp....

TC is about creating a stable vapor production.... the fact that the wick doesn't burn is still dependant on temp setting.... cotton burns at a little over 400 degrees dry...... so it is possible to burn wicks in TC.. just more difficult to accomplish.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dobroeutro

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
"Time out" is unrelated to TC.
I didn't say it was, just that they are talked about in the same way.
In the first scenario,
*The fire button press is not expected to be more than 10 sec. If it is, that is an error condition.
*The wire is not expected to reach the set temperature. If it does, that is an error condition.

Last edited:

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
No, it doesn't work that way, there's no error, a proper TC board will use as much of the power limit you set to achieve your set temperature.
When your temperature is reached, the board reduces power (watts) until the calculated temperature (based on the change in coil ohms) falls just below your set temperature.

Reactions: 93gc40

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I didn't say it was, just that they are talked about in the same way.
In the first scenario,
*The fire button press is not expected to be more than 10 sec. If it is, that is an error condition.
*The wire is not expected to reach the set temperature. If it does, that is an error condition.

Cool cool.
Uniform firmware for many devices - ArcticFox + NFirmwareEditor

Try the AF firmware on your Evic when it arrives.
"Device monitor" is a very educational tool.

Cheers
I

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Something else I'm going to have to look into.
Is there a primer for ArcticFox - NFE somewhere?
Other than discussion here or on the NFE forum no.... but then there really is no such thing for anything else vaping either......

Vaping kinda a new subject... Not many 'lettered' experts on the subject yet.

louiesquared

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2015
Los Angeles
the fact that the wick doesn't burn is still dependant on temp setting.... cotton burns at a little over 400 degrees dry...... so it is possible to burn wicks in TC.. just more difficult to accomplish.

Some TC boards will do dry burn protection even at set temps above 400. The chip will monitor how fast the resistance is rising to determine whether or not the wick has run dry and then stop suplying power.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
With my MOD's when using TC, when the coil reaches the set temperature the MOD shows Temperature Protect and no power goes to the coil but if you keep holding the fire button when the coil cools enough it will continue to fire or fire again. And just because no power is going to the coil does not mean you do not still get vapor as the coil is cooling.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Some TC boards will do dry burn protection even at set temps above 400. The chip will monitor how fast the resistance is rising to determine whether or not the wick has run dry and then stop suplying power.
How does it distinguish between a good wick and one that it toio tight/loose etc? Which mods do this btw?

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
With my MOD's when using TC, when the coil reaches the set temperature the MOD shows Temperature Protect and no power goes to the coil but if you keep holding the fire button when the coil cools enough it will continue to fire or fire again. And just because no power is going to the coil does not mean you do not still get vapor as the coil is cooling.
it wont cut the power completely. Its a feedback thing. It varies the wattage up and down to maintain a set temp (provided there is juice and the thing is wicking properly!).

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
it wont cut the power completely. Its a feedback thing. It varies the wattage up and down to maintain a set temp (provided there is juice and the thing is wicking properly!).

Yes, my TC MOD's stop supplying power to the coil when it reads Temperature Protect according to the display.

Reactions: 93gc40

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
I came across this youtube {interview} with Brandon from Evolve. He is in the safety camp, to reduce carbonyl production you need to stop powering the coil when it exceedss the set temperature . Which to me suggests normal VW vaping with an upper safety limit on temperature, which you may not reach during your draw. ToneeN's mod seems to work this way, where subsequent draws are shorter (assuming 1 fire per draw).

However, later, the same video demonstrates that, at least the DNA40, ignores the set wattage and exceeds it (set W=14.5, applied W=32.9). Listopencil's Fuchai 200 doesn't even have a W setting in TC mode.

So IDK what the watt setting is for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonee N

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I came across this youtube {interview} with Brandon from Evolve. He is in the safety camp, to reduce carbonyl production you need to stop powering the coil when it exceedss the set temperature . Which to me suggests normal VW vaping with an upper safety limit on temperature, which you may not reach during your draw. ToneeN's mod seems to work this way, where subsequent draws are shorter (assuming 1 fire per draw).

However, later, the same video demonstrates that, at least the DNA40, ignores the set wattage and exceeds it (set W=14.5, applied W=32.9). Listopencil's Fuchai 200 doesn't even have a W setting in TC mode.

So IDK what the watt setting is for.
Thw W settinh will only dictate how fast the coil reaches the set temp. You can basically sett it as high as you want, it will make little difference as long as it's enough to heat the coil to that temp in the first place.

Reactions: Izan

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
Thw W settinh will only dictate how fast the coil reaches the set temp. You can basically sett it as high as you want, it will make little difference as long as it's enough to heat the coil to that temp in the first place.

What if its less than required to heat the coil? Its just ignored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread