TCR Help Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

srg2692

Verified Member
May 5, 2016
I just ordered some SS316L and have a few questions about the TCR setting I should use for a particular build. I tried using steam engine but that's all Spanish to me. It's a dual fused clapton build, 26g SS316L core, 34g kanthal A1 wrap, about 3.2mm ID, 6 wraps, 1-2mm legs. Comes out to .12 ohms. They're in a Griffin 25 on an RX200. Should I just use the regular SS setting on the mod, or would a custom TCR setting work better? I use this exact build with a nichrome 80 core and love it, so I thought it'd be a good one to use as my first venture into TC.

Last edited:

srg2692

Verified Member
May 5, 2016
With Kanthal TC will get wrong readings, even if the legs are not kanthal, the heating measurements will be off. Aside from OhmWrecker I have not heard of Kanthal temp control yet.
Based on what I've read it seems that it will work as long as the core is stainless. As thin as the wrap is it's influence should be minimal. I was just under the assumption that it needed a custom TCR setting. With the different types of stainless available I didn't think that the standard SS setting on the RX would cover all of them, not to mention the fact that fused claptons may not heat the same as a regular ol' coil.

TheRussianVaper

Apr 22, 2016
Based on what I've read it seems that it will work as long as the core is stainless. As thin as the wrap is it's influence should be minimal. I was just under the assumption that it needed a custom TCR setting. With the different types of stainless available I didn't think that the standard SS setting on the RX would cover all of them, not to mention the fact that fused claptons may not heat the same as a regular ol' coil.
You are absolutely correct that it will heat, the problem is in the fact that the mod will read it as an SS coil, and the temps will not correspond with an actual heating.

srg2692

Verified Member
May 5, 2016
You are absolutely correct that it will heat, the problem is in the fact that the mod will read it as an SS coil, and the temps will not correspond with an actual heating.
So if I were use SS as the outer wire would the temperature be accurate if ran on the standard SS setting regardless of what type of SS the wire is? Would 316L, 317L, and 304L all work properly on the RX's standard SS setting?

TheRussianVaper

Apr 22, 2016
So if I were use SS as the outer wire would the temperature be accurate if ran on the standard SS setting regardless of what type of SS the wire is? Would 316L, 317L, and 304L all work properly on the RX's standard SS setting?
The reading will be more accurate compared to completely different alloy. Despite the fact that SS are different, they still heat up very similarly.

Joe51

Jan 22, 2013
arkansas
Stainless steel seems funny to me with temp control. It's almost like the TCR value changes as the coil ages. Maybe its due to the istick tc100w. I don't have any other mods that do ss temp control, but I set the TCR value with a new coil, and after a couple days, I end up cranking the temperature up. After a couple more days, crank it up again. Finally, it will kick me out into wattage mode. I am locking the resistance. I've had good luck with nickel and titanium premade coils with the tc60w, but I only roll my own now. I bought hundreds of feet of 316l for the vapocolypse, so I think I'm done with temp control.

Here is a question I've wondered, since the topic is ss temp control coils... How would you account for dual and quad coil builds? It seems the resistance should change twice as fast for dual and 4 times as fast for quad? Is there a discussion on this anywhere?

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud now. Have a great day, guys. Nice vid, btw, russian.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I just ordered some SS316L and have a few questions about the TCR setting I should use for a particular build. I tried using steam engine but that's all Spanish to me. It's a dual fused clapton build, 26g SS316L core, 34g kanthal A1 wrap, about 3.2mm ID, 6 wraps, 1-2mm legs. Comes out to .12 ohms. They're in a Griffin 25 on an RX200. Should I just use the regular SS setting on the mod, or would a custom TCR setting work better? I use this exact build with a nichrome 80 core and love it, so I thought it'd be a good one to use as my first venture into TC.
I vape my SS in power mode. No comparison for me. No TCR OR TFR to worry about. Flavor is unmatchable. Dry hits never happen with experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread