Tell me what is good about a Pro-vari or VV mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
I'm not necessarily a Provari "fan-boy" but I do own one.

The one thing I will say regarding VV is that the "sweet spot" really does make a difference.

The first time I got hold of some Boba's bounty I was still using Ego style batteries and a DCT. I thought it was very good at the time.

The next time I got some I had my Provari and started experimenting around and I couldn't believe the difference. It was like night and day. Like the difference between a Hershey's chocolate kiss and a Godiva chocolate truffle. :hubba:

Robertogee

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
You might want to check out the Provari threads. I've been reading, and reading, and watching YouTube, and reading some more. I love my kGo. Love Stardusts. Love Echo-E DC carts. I'm gonna get a Provari. Try SC carts. I'm not a dripper.

I would have ordered the Provari yesterday (gonna rock the black satin V2), but I'm going out of town for a few days and don't want to chance having the Provari arrive while I'm not in town.

I've looked at the Darwin a long time too. The price difference is not that great a factor for me. I appreciate the Darwin's functionality and technology. But the form factor and build of the Provari (for quite similar capabilities) IS the deciding factor for me.

As you can tell from my avatar, I'm all about lookin' good.

ProVari

Reidus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
New Orleans, LA
all the good info,
I choose PRovari because of the meter too... since the first ones came out, I learned to drip on the Vari.... i mean after a few months of trying to drip, when i saw all the features the Vari has, i knew it was the one for me.
You can check everything (except watts) ... and that's how i learned about what different resistances, designs, different juices, etc will react to certain voltages.
Actually the regulated power was what really sold me, like the other good VV's, but the meter really is a bonus.

Atomizers change resistance as they age with use, and some resistances react differently from brand to brand, so you can adjust for that too.

disclaimer: If you have a carto or atomizer that is consistent and you know how it is going to react to a set voltage, you don't need VV.

I agree with ukeman right now. I just got an E-power 14650, which fires at a reliable 3.7v. I'm using 1.7 and 2.0 LR cartos and get exactly what I need to get off analogs. Will that change in the future? Who knows.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
All it takes for a good vape is the right coil resistance at the right voltage. How you get that isn't so important. There are some considerations like pot metal thread wear. I have an eGo battery that won't screw down tight with some cartos because of that. Stainless steel threads will last a long time against the cheap metals on cartos and attys and you can send the Provari and some of the US made mods in for a new end cap if necessary. Chinese mods make you shell out full price for a replacement.

I don't take my Provari when I cut grass. I use the eGo and a LR Boge for those days. It's too easy for a PV to slide out of a pocket and become a missile when the blades hit it on the next pass! Yard work gets my backup stuff and I'm fine with that. I have an expensive Japanese Seiko Kinetic watch that only gets worn with a suit. For everyday use I wear a $12 Walmart special. When the battery goes dead, I buy a new one. By that time, the band is faded and scratched.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
For me, and strictly in my opinion, it's an issue of, (a) consistency, and (b) information. I already owned a Lavatube for the "VV Experience" (and still have/use it), but I was looking for perfection in both of those categories. From what I could tell, it came down to ProVari and BuzzPro. From what I understood, they both perform flawlessly.

I'm an information-junkie. Not just with vaping either - it's a personality thing (disorder?). I chose the ProVari. I have not been disappointed. Everything you've heard and read is absolutely, unequivocally true.

As for the button-pushing thing? It's almost funny, if you ask me. We all deal with much and many complexities in our daily lives. The menu on the ProVari is ridiculously simple, to be blunt.

To paraphrase Jay-Z, I got 99 problems but a button ain't one.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I got a provari to experience vv vaping. I also wanted something that I could just replace a battery, and not have to buy a whole new battery.

Things I didn't appreciate until I got the provari:

-the consistency of the hit. I used a go-go before and I liked it a lot, but I always liked the batteries best when the were fresh off the charger. With the provari I can get that consistent hit all the way to the end of the battery. Before I got the provari, I didn't think this was a big selling point, but it's ended up being my favorite feature.

-the built in battery volt tester. Since the few battery explosion incidents in the news I really like being able to check the voltage every time I change the battery. A couple of seconds and I know that my fresh battery is at exactly 4.2 is well worth it to me.

-the ease of changing the voltage and knowing what type of hit I'm going to get. I rarely vape outside the 4-4.6 range, but it's nice to change to ~4.2 for the morning and then crank it up a few tenths of a volt later in the day.

The button menu is super easy. It's a non-issue for me. The build quality is excellent. The only con really is the size and weight, but I got used to it, and my go-gos feel almost too insubstantial now.

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
I've been vaping almost a year now. Started out with 808 batteries, then quickly moved on to fat battery types. I'm considering going up a notch and getting a VV mod of some sort. I know eGo is now making the twisty one or whatever but I'm thinking about something maybe more durable.

So you pro-vari people, can you list out the pros and cons of owning one? Clearly the cost is substantial. Why do I need variable voltage in the first place? I have somewhat of an understanding of the concept, i.e., you can fine tune the voltage to figure out the alleged "sweet spot" but really is it that much better?

Also would like to know what you're using on the pro-vari. Tanks? Cartos? All info appreciated.

I vaped for 2+ years with a Joye LR 510 atty and thought it was the best............ That is until I got my Provari..... LRs @ 3.7 volts cant even close to what a Provari is capable of with SR attys......... Night and Day differance ........ Once you try a VV or VW you will be know what all the talk is about!
Tanks? Thats up to you, Im still an old school vapor... Direct Drip on an Atomizers...

Malduk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Croatia
That was sort of my next question. So you guys are going tanks? What kind? Are these the DCTs? With punched cartos? On the eGo stuff, I've been mainly using ce2 clearomizers.

You can use everything listed. Its one of the advantages of having VV. If you like your ce2s, you might as well continue using them.

bassthumper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2010
TN
LOL that's what you get for mentioning PROVARI in the title! Here come the fan boys!
Meh. I got a Buzz Pro and it's AWESOME. I couldn't justify paying another hundred bucks just for a couple digits. WHO READS THAT ANYWAY OTHER THAN SOMEONE THAT IS RRREEEALLY into vaping? USUALLY you adjust to taste. I set and forget anyways, unless I'm using a certain kind of carto but THE AVERAGE VAPER DOES NOT REQUIRE WHAT A PROVARI PROVIDES. If you want to experience flawless VV vaping and SAVE SOME MONEY FOR LIQUID, go with a Buzzpro. All the provari winners on here are SUPER into vaping. Are You?

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
LOL that's what you get for mentioning PROVARI in the title! Here come the fan boys!
Meh. I got a Buzz Pro and it's AWESOME. I couldn't justify paying another hundred bucks just for a couple digits. WHO READS THAT ANYWAY OTHER THAN SOMEONE THAT IS RRREEEALLY into vaping? USUALLY you adjust to taste. I set and forget anyways, unless I'm using a certain kind of carto but THE AVERAGE VAPER DOES NOT REQUIRE WHAT A PROVARI PROVIDES. If you want to experience flawless VV vaping and SAVE SOME MONEY FOR LIQUID, go with a Buzzpro. All the provari winners on here are SUPER into vaping. Are You?

Ha, I'm not sure yet. Still investigating. You people who drip....don't you get annoyed with that? Constantly every 5-6 hits having to re-drip? That would drive me insane. How tedious.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
ok, so i googled the buzz pro and my initial impressions are this...the site is thoroughly uninformative...the device looks ok but its 139$...the way i understand it, at least from reading ecf is that the pro vari is more or less the twelve inch penis of VV devices, so if i'm going to spend 140 i might as well go all in and spend 200...isnt the pro vari made out of like aircraft grade steel or something??

the decision is coming down really to something like the lavatube, vtube, mvari, etc, about 75$ or the pro vari i guess at $200

im still not sure i cant get by with one of the cheaper ones...you've all made fine points and thank you

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Ha, I'm not sure yet. Still investigating. You people who drip....don't you get annoyed with that? Constantly every 5-6 hits having to re-drip? That would drive me insane. How tedious.
I gave up cartos because they don't taste as good as dripping... tanks are the optimal for carto's because tanks keep the carto filled; but still not as good as dripping.
I have 2 Vari's and 2 bottom feeders... so overkill yeah but it's a hobby thing. Bottom feeding is like dripping and the answer to those that don't like to drip... BUT; dripping (and bottom feeding) have a learning curve... it took me almost 6 months to really get it down, and with the Vari's meter functions, I have learned how to match any atty with any voltage i.e. a non VV device to a given atomizer resistance will vape just as good as the same atty on a VV set at that voltage.

I think the Vari is ideal for tanks because you "set it an forget it".... the Buzz Pro is intuitional; just dial the vape that feels best, AND you can go up or down in a flash.
The Vari buttons are no big deal; super easy, but take a little more time...
I found that the on/off function on the Buzz; unscrew the bottom cap until it disconnects, is a bit archaic, and the LED will stay on all the time if you don't unscrew, and it drives me crazy... some just leave it on without worry about batt draining... they say it can stay on for a month and not run batt down... but that's with not vaping!
(with the Vari you can disengage the LED button coming on when you fire it).
I also found that the stacked 16340's don't last as long as some claim, but i'm a chain vaper... single 18650 is a little better, not much but one batt is easier.
Yeah i'm crazy about vaping; it's my hobby...
IMO Provari is the most solid, reliable, functional and versatile APV on the market even after more than a year of competition with other VV's.

That said, it's still just a device for delivering power to the coil... imo today's issue is ... what's on the device. There is so so much to choose from and a world of differences.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Same performance as the buzz pro, but only $100 ($92 after the "ECF Buzzkill" discount code) is the notcigs Infinity Pro. Slightly thinner, longer, uses 14xxx protected batteries instead of the 16xxx, but just about the same run time (mAh are very close). Same ruggedness.

LCD vs. wheel is user choice, there isn't anything inherently better or worse about either. I'm an engineer by trade, numbers oriented, but vape to replace cigarettes, so the elegance of the wheel appeals to me.

The original Provari was a bit light on max power (not that I ever go that high, at least not often), but the new V2 brings it close to notcigs. Either notcigs or provape gets you a durable PV that maintains voltage where it is set, with excellent support.

On a tube PV I use a notcigs M1A1 carto tank, with Ikenvape fusion 801 2.5 ohm cartos (and a 901/801 adapter for some time, though I just recently switched to a native 801 top cap, since that combination is all I use). I use my own DIY carto punch (trivial to "make", just two parts to buy, I posted a thread on it in the PIF area).

Two 14xxx or 16xxx batteries vs. 1 18xxx is a shrug to me. I get 6.5 ml of vaping at about 8W, 2.5 ohm at 4.5V or 3 ohm at 5V, with either original Infinity or Buzz Pro, between changes, a healthy amount.

Last edited:

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
im still not sure i cant get by with one of the cheaper ones...you've all made fine points and thank you

One can't talk about VV units without mentioning the MadVapes VV Box Mod. It will do everything as well as the most expensive VV unit available. The only drawbacks is it's homely and a nuisance to adjust the voltage with a screw driver. One of mine is nearly a year old with no problems, all have been bullet proof. The one listed in this link is an excellent VV starter unit. You can get one without the meter for $10 less.

Variable Volt Box Mod w/ Voltage Indicator

I have many VV units, ten total including LavaTubes, many or nicer looking and more convenient for setting the volts but none or better.

Errol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread