Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Mine came with a pre-built wick without NR wire. Worked OK, but it measured 3.0 ohms, so not great.

I've re-built mine a few times trying out different wick materials using Kanthal 32 and haven't used any of the NR wire I bought with mine yet.
Gee, the best reason for not using NR would be not having any, give it a try, at least on the positive side.
I just rebuilt one of mine using 28 Kanthal @ 1.4 ohms. I'm not after "hotter" as I use the same wattage whether 1.2 ohm or 5 ohms(well maybe 3). It's looking to be my best setup yet as I've tried quite a few variations

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
The wicks being supplied in my opinion are worthless to the point that they are just a fuzz better than nothing

I have the same issues. I ordered mine and it should be here tomorrow. I currently have kantal A1 32 gauge resistance and some cotton yarn and candle wick. Can you tell me exactly what "I should" have to optimize performance. I'm also interested in using SS mesh but not sure which size is best for this. If you can tell me what i need i should be able to search it out. obviously i'm new at this so your help is greatly appreciated. thanks

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
I have the same issues. I ordered mine and it should be here tomorrow. I currently have kantal A1 32 gauge resistance and some cotton yarn and candle wick. Can you tell me exactly what "I should" have to optimize performance. I'm also interested in using SS mesh but not sure which size is best for this. If you can tell me what i need i should be able to search it out. obviously i'm new at this so your help is greatly appreciated. thanks
The basic "default" set up would be something like this, 2 mm silica and 32 or 34 awg resistor wire with non resistor wire attached to at least the positive side if not both. Being that this is a v1 clone the ceramic channels pretty much limit wick size to 2 mm, smaller flooding occurs easier, larger wick gets chocked so go with 2 mm of what ever material in the side channels. Watch Igetcha69's Oddy review on YouTube.

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
The basic "default" set up would be something like this, 2 mm silica and 32 or 34 awg resistor wire with non resistor wire attached to at least the positive side if not both. Being that this is a v1 clone the ceramic channels pretty much limit wick size to 2 mm, smaller flooding occurs easier, larger wick gets chocked so go with 2 mm of what ever material in the side channels. Watch Igetcha69's Oddy review on YouTube.

Ok then thanks. should be able to set it up out of the box. i did watch the review earlier. got from that the nr is thicker than the r. i'll follow him on my first rebuild.

UA72Riddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Griffin, GA
I wanted to hold off for the coop, but couldnt wait any longer after hearing about the quality! I just got mine in....luckily im in the same state as Stormy, so it arrived next day.

I still hate twisting wires, but I have to say I am impressed. Machining is excellent, all of the threads are smooth and the parts all fit together nicely! Now I have to order the clear tubes and extra mouthpieces! :)

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
I guess everybody like pictures so here is my modified ceramic next to a stock ceramic.
Wick is 3.5 mm silica and coil is 1.4 ohms 28 awg Kanthal
I'm not sure as yet whether or not that I prefer the 28 because I know I like the results with the 32, still testing......
wick+coil 001.jpg wick+coil 002.jpg

Jeepster08

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
That looks great! I'm curious what you used to modify the ceramic. I have several Dremels and a wide assortment of bits. I may try this myself.

I guess everybody like pictures so here is my modified ceramic next to a stock ceramic.
Wick is 3.5 mm silica and coil is 1.4 ohms 28 awg Kanthal
I'm not sure as yet whether or not that I prefer the 28 because I know I like the results with the 32, still testing......
View attachment 164163 View attachment 164164

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
That looks great! I'm curious what you used to modify the ceramic. I have several Dremels and a wide assortment of bits. I may try this myself.
I used one of those $10 "dremels" from Harbor Freight
used several sizes of diamond dust coated bits, the ones shaped like a "soup can" and worked up to the bigger size.
I recommend getting an extra one to do this with as breaking the only one you have would be upsetting
I have done this to both of mine, very pleased with results, it was much easier than I thought it would be just go slowly

Oh ya, I have an extra one and plan to order a couple more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread