Terms to avoid vaping from being associated with smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I was going to post this as a reply in another thread, but wanted everyone's thoughts on this question)

... I personally have stopped referring to them as an electronic cigarette because I don't think including cigarette in the labeling of any vaping activity is helpful...

I agree, and I've seen many people say the same in my lurking/reading on this site... but what do you call it instead?

When typing, I try to say PV, but (and maybe it's just me) I feel like when I'm actually talking to someone face to face, calling it a 'personal vaporizer' makes it sound like I'm trying to call it some fancy name to disguise the fact I'm doing something people would object to if they knew what it was. While, in essence, that is true (I'm avoiding calling it an 'ecig' to avoid the negative connotations that come with the name), in reality, the name I'm avoiding is the misnomer, not the name I'm using.

Do you simply ask if people mind if you use your vaporizer, or do you call it something else?

What steps do you take to disassociate your vaping from cigarette smoking?

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
I refer to mine as an APV when people ask ... often I do have to explain that it means Advanced Personal Vaporizer, and that it is also known by the term electronic-cigarette. I then have to explain that it is not in any way associated to a tobacco cigarette ... cumbersome method I know, but haven't had any brilliant insight on a better way ... Maybe this thread will help!

If I am asking "permission" so to speak, I usually ask if they mind if I "vape". This then usually leads to the above discussion ... :p

MellyBug

Nov 25, 2013
Sanford, MI
I call it "Vaping". As in, "Would you mind if I 'vaped'?" They usually ask what it is...which opens up the opportunity for me to explain (either generally or in detail, depending on my mood and the situation. I've never had anyone be opposed to it...and have even had the opportunity to turn a few people onto the idea and quit smoking cigarettes.

rdwilliamson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2011
Kansas
I call it "Vaping". As in, "Would you mind if I 'vaped'?" They usually ask what it is...which opens up the opportunity for me to explain (either generally or in detail, depending on my mood and the situation. I've never had anyone be opposed to it...and have even had the opportunity to turn a few people onto the idea and quit smoking cigarettes.

This is what I do also. I converted quite a few people over to vaping. Something I am very proud of.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
When speaking to people that have little or no knowledge of vaping I refer to it as an Ecig/ Electronic Cigarette. Reason being it's a commonplace term and I'm far more interested in seeing them absorb other more important information.
Also for new converts the term Ecig ties in more closely with smoking a cigarette and is more acceptable to them.
It really doesn't bother me if others want to call it a PV, APV, Ecig, etc. Much more important info to be passed along besides the label of our device.

vincenzxo

Nov 23, 2013
Montreal.PQ.CA
people at my work are convinced that i vape "la drogue". thats the rumour going around. i just tell them if you want me to stay calm let me vape, would you rather me get up for a cig every hour? idk

edit, yeah i try to stay away from electronic cigarette, but you have to say that for most people to get off your ..., i tell them that its just nicotine juice

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
It depends. If I am asking if it's ok to vape, I'll pull out my PV and ask if they mind if I don't smoke.

If I am talking about it to someone, I will often refer to it as an e-cig, and then tell them why it's nothing like an electronic cigarette.

There's a joke out here in ECF land about referring to a PV as a Personal Electronic Nicotine Inhalation System, but you might not want to use the acronym :blink:

...I'll pull out my PV and ask if they mind if I don't smoke.

I like that :)

LOL @ the acronym, as well!

I've only been vaping exclusively for three days and a couple hours, a week since I decided to try it again (the first time, I got sick about 2 weeks into using it, and wasn't able to breathe and vape... had to go back to real cigs just to breathe... go figure.) and since I am determined to be cig-free for good, I know that public perception is an issue that I will face eventually as time goes on.

The only people who seem to be dead set against vaping are the ANTZ, everyone else seems more of an ignorance issue than an opposition one.

At least, that's what I hope. I know that my mom (who has wanted me to quit since the moment she found out) is thrilled with anything that will get me off cigarettes.

..."It is an atomizer, something like an electronic cig. I use it to quit smoking."...

I like this a lot. It differentiates it, yet leaves it relatable. So far this is my favorite.

Thank you so much for sharing (that's to everyone!).

I completely agreed with the idea that calling it anything with 'cig' in the name would immediately cause the uninformed to draw negative conclusions, but was completely lost on how to actually get around it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so thank you ALL for posting what you say/do in regards to this. It's helped me a lot already, and I hope it helps others too!!!

A.

Fully agree, i avoid using smoking/e-cigarette.

Anti smokers seem to instantly get on their righteous bandwagon if I do and say it's just as evil, if i call it vaping and a vaporiser/atomiser to stop me smoking cigarettes they mostly think its a great idea and are all for it.

I agree as well and generally use "vape" interchangeably as a noun and verb just to keep it simple, as in:

1. do you mind if I "vape", or
2. can you pass me my vape please?

terms like "PV", "mod" and vaporizer are common amongst us in the know, but to the unfamiliar not so much. and avoiding the "cig" part keeps the uninformed, anti-smoke parties at bay and it often presents the opportunity to educate and increase the awareness...which is good for everyone, imho!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread