Terrible chemically taste in mouth and I smell weird. HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
Hi! I just started vaping 18 days ago and I have been so happy with it but about a week ago I started to notice that my scent changed to something that I didn't like. It's not like you could smell it on my skin, more like when I breathed I could smell the way I smelled and it changed to a smell I didn't like. Sometimes when I exhale I can actually smell an unusual chemically smell coming out. I've been putting up with it as a small price to pay to be able to vape (which I thoroughly enjoy) and stay away from cigarettes. But last night I was awoken by the most terrible strong chemically taste in my mouth that nearly made me sick. It was like it was coming from my very lungs! I drank some fruit punch and it died down and I've been ok since but I still have a chemically taste in my mouth. I think my body is telling me that something is wrong but i don't know what it is. I vape I think about 5 or 6ml(I thought it was 4ml!) of 80%PG / 20% VG (15% nicotine) a day and I make juice blends(not DIY) with juices from MadVapes, BlueMist vaping and Vapor4Life - just desserty flavors and no menthol - mixed with my all-day vape Wowboy which is a tobacco, chocolate, mint mix. Any knowledge or advice you could share is appreciated!!! Thank you!

Last edited:

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
Sometimes those delrin drip tips give me that flavor, sometimes I get it from metal drip tips. Other things can do it too like a coil that is about to die or the taste you get as a carto is starting to get dry. It can come from a lot of things and may also just be your taste and smell receptors repairing themselves. It's a part of the process. The good news is that, soon, if you get something that tastes a little off, you will notice it much quicker when you have your full senses about you. :laugh: I'm sorry I can't offer something more specific but it is a natural part of the healing process.

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
Hi Charlz! it's so nice to hear from you! I'm not using a delrin or metal drip tip and this odd smell/taste is constant so I don't think it's a carto ready to go on the fritz! it's hard for me to believe that this is a part of the healing process from giving up cigarettes when it seems so nasty! lol I don't know what it is so anything is possible! I appreciate your advice and i hope others will chime in too! :)

5vz

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
in here somewhere USA
Could also be the flavorings. If you have ever smelled a box full of them, they stink. They are super concentrated and if in plastic bottles they just smell. I have noticed the same from vaping. The smell lingers on clothes, especially things you don't wash every week, like wool coats, curtains, pillows, etc... Could just be me. :lol:

steliosak

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
Kapandriti , Hellas
I don't know if this helps any

When I stopped analogs completely (it took me about 4 days) there where some distinct phases that my body went thru.

After about a week I started coughing up large amount of phlegm (especially in the morning). I was worried at first (thought it was a reaction to vaping) but persevered . This lasted for about a 2 weeks and has not re-occurred.

4 weeks in my sense of smell and taste became much more acute and different. Smells and tastes that I had not noticed before hit me forcefully , some where delicious some where awful some where totally different all where powerfully strong
My sense of smell gradually settled down again after a further month more.

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
Are you getting enough liquids ?

Sounds vaguely familiar to when you have a fever and are dehydrated. Everything tastes and smells bad ... sort of like concentrated saliva.

I thought I was being good about drinking enough liquids but I can't say that I've been drinking 8 glasses of water a day so I'm going to try drinking a glass after each vape session, and there are a lot of them! Thank you!

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
Could also be the flavorings. If you have ever smelled a box full of them, they stink. They are super concentrated and if in plastic bottles they just smell. I have noticed the same from vaping. The smell lingers on clothes, especially things you don't wash every week, like wool coats, curtains, pillows, etc... Could just be me. :lol:

I really appreciate your thoughts! i want to hear what everyone has to say and brainstorm what this could be! :)

5vz

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
in here somewhere USA
kblush;

You don't have to drink a big glass every time you vape. Just drink more water than say sodas, or coffee. That's just good for you anyway. If you start feeling thirsty or your throat is dry, drink until it isn't.

If I drank a full glass every time I vaped, I would never get out the bathroom! Nor would I ever get anything done.

Quick hydration test. On the back of your hand, gently pull up some skin right in between your middle finger and pointer finger (the one closest to your thumb). If the skin goes right back down you are hydrated. If it goes down slowly drink some water.

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
I don't know if this helps any

When I stopped analogs completely (it took me about 4 days) there where some distinct phases that my body went thru.

After about a week I started coughing up large amount of phlegm (especially in the morning). I was worried at first (thought it was a reaction to vaping) but persevered . This lasted for about a 2 weeks and has not re-occurred.

4 weeks in my sense of smell and taste became much more acute and different. Smells and tastes that I had not noticed before hit me forcefully , some where delicious some where awful some where totally different all where powerfully strong
My sense of smell gradually settled down again after a further month more.

I appreciate your sharing this information with me! it puts me at ease because maybe it is just a part of the healing process that you and Charlz mention. I would hope so so I wouldn't have to stop vaping.

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
kblush;

You don't have to drink a big glass every time you vape. Just drink more water than say sodas, or coffee. That's just good for you anyway. If you start feeling thirsty or your throat is dry, drink until it isn't.

If I drank a full glass every time I vaped, I would never get out the bathroom! Nor would I ever get anything done.

Quick hydration test. On the back of your hand, gently pull up some skin right in between your middle finger and pointer finger (the one closest to your thumb). If the skin goes right back down you are hydrated. If it goes down slowly drink some water.

I wouldn't have gotten out of the bathroom either. :D I passed the hydration test! That's cool and I'll have to remember that! Thank you!!

Trucapri

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2011
North Carolina
kblush;
. . .

Dependent upon your age . . . :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cadaoryn

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2010
California: But stuck in Afghan!
Its probably due to enhanced senses. When i quit smoking morning breath actually tasted worse when i got my tastebuds and nostrils back (i know, ironic huh?) But you just might be getting back (and used to) the taste and smell that you missed out on due to analog cigarettes. You'll slowly start using less salt on your food, and using less cologne as well. Thats what happened to me!

dirtmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Another vote for the artificial flavors- I'm pretty sure some of them did that to me. I could smell/taste weirdness that was totally unfamiliar in my breath and maybe on my skin. I figured my body just doesn't know quite what to do with them and had to adjust to eliminating the breakdown products. It happens mostly on days I'm trying out different flavors and mixes so I haven't figured out all of the ones that do it yet; but I think the tobacco fruits and the flavored coffee types are worst (for me). I never get it from the menthol-mint when I'm using that all day.

I know that when I first started mixing juices, I put way too much flavoring in for how sensitive my nose was. It's getting even more sensitive now after just over a week without smoking.

edit- I remember noticing how much my breath and body scent changed when I started smoking, it was weird until I got used to it. Now I think I'm going through that again.

Last edited:

kblush

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
San Diego
Another vote for the artificial flavors- I'm pretty sure some of them did that to me. I could smell/taste weirdness that was totally unfamiliar in my breath and maybe on my skin. I figured my body just doesn't know quite what to do with them and had to adjust to eliminating the breakdown products. It happens mostly on days I'm trying out different flavors and mixes so I haven't figured out all of the ones that do it yet; but I think the tobacco fruits and the flavored coffee types are worst (for me). I never get it from the menthol-mint when I'm using that all day.

I know that when I first started mixing juices, I put way too much flavoring in for how sensitive my nose was. It's getting even more sensitive now after just over a week without smoking.

edit- I remember noticing how much my breath and body scent changed when I started smoking, it was weird until I got used to it. Now I think I'm going through that again.

What an interesting post!!! First, congratulations on over a week of not smoking! I'm about 2 and a half weeks! This was very interesting: "figured my body just doesn't know quite what to do with them(artificial flavors) and had to adjust to eliminating the breakdown products." Maybe that's what my body is doing! All I know is that today there is almost no more of that weird "scent" about me and in my breath and I'm so glad! It was hard to deal with because I wanted to get away from the smell and it was ME!!! :D Love your Smurf avatar of mixing vaping juices! :) P.S. I think there are vendors that have no artificial anything in their juices. Check out Virgin Vapors! It's kind of expensive, but if you want pure it's worth it!

Last edited:

Doomed!

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2011
Denver
I think it's just your body getting rid of the chemicals from the cigarettes. When I first started vaping, I had this terrible metallic taste in my mouth for a week. I was really worried it was something in the juice or atomizer. Turns out my gums were bleeding, which is pretty common after you quit smoking. Just think, you were regularly ingesting 4,000 chemicals everytime you sucked down a cigarette. That stuff adds up and your body has to get rid of it somehow. Have you ever eaten really strong curry? You smell like a market in Bangledesh for a couple of days after eating it. Give it a little while and if it doesn't go away or it gets worse, go see your doctor. I'm not a medical expert by any stretch, but I think you're alright.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread