Tesla Steampunk Nano 120w help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay93

Sep 17, 2017
I bought a Tesla Steampunk Nano 120w a couple of weeks ago because my smok Alien quit working. I put the Cloud Beast that I was using on my Alien on the new Tesla. But I'm having issues with batteries. I'm using LG HG2 batteries and when they get down to between 40% and 50% it says low battery and won't fire. When my husband puts them in his Aspire he can still use them when mine won't. I also have some Samsung 25R batteries and they say low battery at 80%-90%. I'm running it at 120 watts with a t12 coil that is .2 ohms. Is the coil the problem? If I switch to a lower ohm coil would it help? I did just order some Sony VTC6 batteries because I've heard they are the best. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi, and welcome Kay93, I have a steampunk and your issue isn't so much the batteries, but the fact that you are running that setup at its MAX setting. Because it is a regulated mod, as your batteries start to drain and lose power, your mod is going to give you that reading once it feels that it cannot draw more power safely from your device (I realize I'm personalizing your steampunk, rather, the safety mechanisms that are in place with your device are going to stop you from pulling power. What device is your husband using, and does he use less watts? Also, each board on each mod will handle this slightly differently, the Steampunk seems to do a very efficient conversion of power, meaning that when I got mine, I was turning DOWN all my wattages, since it was a more "powerful" device, I ended up using lower wattages.

If the aspire setup is sill able to run those batteries for a longer time period at the same wattage, which I'm not sure you specified, is it a 200w mod, perhaps converting the power more efficiently, or, if the wattage that your husband is using is much lower, it will be safer for that mod to convert battery power from the charge left in the batteries, because it is not putting an unsafe "strain" on the batteries, or the power chip is converting power less efficiently.

Generally, it's not the greatest idea of all time to run any mod at its "top" wattage as it does place a strain on the device and batteries, though switching to more powerful batteries may give you more run time, though I can run my LG HG2 batteries all the way down to "low battery" if I want, though I usually switch them out when the power bar goes down to about 1/4 to save strain on my batteries as well, though certainly not every time if I'm not paying attention. Keep in mind I am running nowhere near the wattages you are on the Steampunk, which is why I'm not running into issues.

Think of wattage as like the speedometer on your car. Just because mine goes up to 200 miles per hour, that certainly doesn't mean I'm going to run it at that speed, all the time, or even ONE time (though, I have accidentally fired my Steampunk on 120 watts, and I was able to fry a coil into oblivion fairly easily with one puff) so it's DOABLE, it just may not be advisable to do all the time. I'd suggest seeing if you can go lower on watts with your vape, even if you are running a sub0hm setup on top of it. 120 watts on a steampunk is pretty powerful. You'll be ABLE to do it, I wouldn't *recommend* doing it, it overstresses the mod and the batteries to take a mod up to its very highest tolerance. If you want to run that wattage, I'm not sure the steampunk is your device, you may want a 3 or eve 4 battery setup stating it's capable of like, 250 watts or more, even though I'd never run THAT device as high as 250 watts, either. But if you want to routinely vape 120 watts, I'm not sure the Steampunk is your mod to do that with. You might look into an RTA and temp control coils, unless your tank offers TC capable coils, you then set the temp to a "safe" temp, and vape without so much dependence on wattage, and the Steampunk is pretty good at TC. You can set a "ramp up" wattage, but the TC handles the rest, and I'm guessing that if you were to choose a safe temp, the wattage you'd be running would be lower, though you may find you enjoy that vape. You may also find turning down your wattage by a fair bit (say, at least 20--30 watts, if not more) may help with battery life and your overall safety in general. The highest wattage a mod can go is not usually the best demonstrator of its true capabilities, and the steampunk is so efficient with power, I am guessing you are actually going quite higher than you *think* due to its board.

I hope this helps. You could certainly try other batteries, and that may help you some, but I do remain concerned at running a mod at MAX capability. It may cause the batteries to get warm, overstressing them as well. If you must have 120 watts (or higher!) I'd suggest a different mod.

That's just me, I am naturally cautious. But you may be surprised at the results of simply bumping your watts down a fair bit and seeing how the vape is, possibly with different airflow, or different VG/PG mix if you want huge clouds.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Anna

Last edited:

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
you do not buy a 180mph car an drive at constantly 180mph
Its its max power if needed for a very short time,
not to be run at max constantly if you need more than that 100w buy a 200w mod. Triple cell mod + If your using more than 80w you want very high amp cells VCT5A and above not any 15-20amp 3000mah cells, unless running 3 or more of them

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
you do not buy a 180mph car an drive at constantly 180mph
Its its max power if needed for a very short time,
not to be run at max constantly if you need more than that 100w buy a 200w mod. Triple cell mod + If your using more than 80w you want very high amp cells VCT5A and above not any 15-20amp 3000mah cells, unless running 3 or more of them

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Out of curiosity i've got a 228w mod with 2 lg 20amp batteries (3000MaH) what's the max wattage i could go with those? Atm I don't go over 50watts but im case i would go higher idk whats the max I should use those at...

Reactions: Opinionated

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
If authentic the LGHG2 cells are 18ish amp.
There are quite a few fake lghg2 on the market.

At your specific power devices battery low voltage cutoff amp demand from the batteries will be highest.
Mooch explains in simple terms how to figure amp demand when using a regulated device here ---> Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

Why hijack a thread about someone struggling with a completely different power device.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Out of curiosity i've got a 228w mod with 2 lg 20amp batteries (3000MaH) what's the max wattage i could go with those? Atm I don't go over 50watts but im case i would go higher idk whats the max I should use those at...
You know the drill. Ball park estimate is wattage / battery count / 3 = amps needed. You just need to rearrange and solve for wattage. LG HG2's have a max safe vaping limit of 20A, so 20 * 3 * 2 is your upper wattage limit.

In the OP's case, 120W already exceeds the ball park estimated limit, and the batteries are probably nearing the end of their useful life (probably having been used heavily in the Alien). So, the "weak battery" signal is coming sooner in the charge life than she's used to seeing.

Simple answer: she needs new batteries and she needs to knock the wattage down. Way down, if it were me.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Just a note here - while LG is still calling them 20A batteries, Mooch has downgraded them to 18 in his latest chart.
Understood. I was using this chart and using his Max Vaping Amps as the safe limit. I should have been clearer.
img_0623-jpg.684997

Kay93

Sep 17, 2017
Thanks guys that helped alot. I took it down to 90 watts and it seems to be pretty close to the same hits and my batteries did last a little longer. I'll keep it there and see how goes. Would I still be better off going with a different coil? The one I have says best 130w to 200w which is why I had it at 120 to begin with. It is a 60w to 320w coil though.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I'd start it out at 60 and bump up just until you have a vape you like. You'll likely get better coil life and battery life that way, regardless of what the coil head says on it. Not mention possibly expending less liquid.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you are satisfied with the vape you are getting on lower wattage, you don't have to. A higher resistance coil would probably make it easier to lower the wattage and still get a satisfying vape. It's really up to you, but you could certainly give it a shot.

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
"Recommended wattage" from a manufacturer is almost always inflated because folks like to buy "high power". If you get a good vape for yourself at 50W on a coil "recommended 60-300W" that's all that matters. Start low and work your way up and when it tastes just right for you, that's YOUR recommended wattage

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I bought a Tesla Steampunk Nano 120w a couple of weeks ago because my Smok Alien quit working. I put the Cloud Beast that I was using on my Alien on the new Tesla. But I'm having issues with batteries. I'm using LG HG2 batteries and when they get down to between 40% and 50% it says low battery and won't fire. When my husband puts them in his Aspire he can still use them when mine won't. I also have some Samsung 25R batteries and they say low battery at 80%-90%. I'm running it at 120 watts with a t12 coil that is .2 ohms. Is the coil the problem? If I switch to a lower ohm coil would it help? I did just order some Sony VTC6 batteries because I've heard they are the best. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome and glad you joined.
The information below may help with wattage problems.
Efficiency. Thinner wire and higher resistance VS thick wire and lower resistance
Wattage vs. Flavor | E-Cigarette Forum

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Bingo!

That blog post is one of the reasons I pretty much always set my limit to <40 Watts. I found that at really high wattage, some of the flavor notes in my own DIY liquids are obliterated and both coils and battery charges don't last as long. I know... stunning, right?

I have found only one exception so far--a butterscotch puddin' recipe that seems to hit its sweet spot just north of 50 Watts. Everything else is noms at 40 and below. That's just me, though.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
HI and welcome. It also sounds to me like you're seeing some voltage sag on those batteries; likely because they are nearing the end of their useful life. If you have some new Sonys coming, and they don't fix it, then you have a mod problem. Moving to thinner wire at lower watts is also a good idea.

Kay93

Sep 17, 2017
The batteries are only a few weeks old. I bought them at the same time as my Tesla. Also, running it at 90w is still doing the same thing, cutting off at 40%-50%. It was my understanding I could use 2 LG HG2s at 120w. Guess I misunderstood. It's really not a huge issue once I get my extra sets because a set of HG2s still lasts most of the day. It usually dies an hour or two before bed. But I'll also try lowering my wattage a little more and see how it goes.

Reactions: stols001

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
My guess is the tesla chip is not very strong. In order to put out maximum power at the specified amperage load it needs higher voltage from the batteries. In order to get full life span from batteries in that mod you need a higher ohm or lower power setting, your clipping the amperage output. The mod is saying no I can't do this.. You need about a .5 ohm coil it sounds. .2 is too low obviously.

Its inefficiency of the chipset.

.2 at 120w is 25 amps , clearly more than it can handle without fully charged batteries at 8.4v. I'm sure there are tests that show the chips sweetspot. The lower the power input from batteries and higher the amp load the harder it is for the mod to put out power.

.5 ohm at 120w is half the amperage, only 15 amps which sounds like the realistic usable chip limits. Probably 16amps.

So it's is the mod causing restriction, based on amperage capability of the chip.

ie, with your .2 coil u probably need to be at 45w to run the batteries down to 3.5 each.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread