Testing Resistamce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tagi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
For your purposes it will be fine to use the built in OHM reader. I did the same when I started with a MVP2.0. Just keep in mind when you can to pick up a good ohm reader. I would suggest ordering a couple different wire sizes from Temco or lightening vapes. If your new to rebuilding then the way most shops do the 1 or so a foot of wire thing will get old fast. Don't be afraid to tear it down just so that you can rebuild it.

Tagi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
It should not be to far off. If the resistance bounces around that is a sign of bad connectivity. The most common cause for this is the screws that clamp down on the coil legs have loosened.

Those 2 mods if the resistance is to low, it should just say check atomizer on the screen.

Use this site to get you in the ballpark of where you want to be Ohm wise - Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

There will be some variances but it will be close and will help you not waste wire.

Hopefully its one of the few shops that sells 30 feet spools for ten bucks. Those dollar a foot places I refuse to buy wire at.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You can use the resistance reader function on your mod to check your coils, but I like a box type ohm meter just because it provides a base to hold the coil deck while you are installing the coil. Once it's screwed down, you just flip the switch and read it. Use a fingernail to rake the coils and view the resistance change. Until you dry burn the new coil, the coils will touch and affect readings. After it's dry burned, an oxidation film will form that insulates the turns from each other. You can dry burn and test it again on the reader.

It also gives you 2 digits to the right of the decimal. Your mod will probably round up or down and a 1.65 ohm coil will read 1.7 ohms and a 1.64 ohm coil will read 1.6 ohms.

Amazon.com: 510 808 Ohm Resistance Reader Meter: Electronics

41ASUoUgq1L._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagi

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I just posted this in another thread, and I'll repeat it here. I would suggest getting an ohm reader if for nothing else than convenience. They can be had for cheap, and the biggest benefit (to me) is being able to build and troubleshoot while seeing a constant, real-time display of the resistance without having to hit any buttons. You can't do that on a mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread