TFA Dairy/Milk - Mistakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
OK, so a while ago I tried Boosted by Boosted and loved it, it is a delightful mix of strawberry and cream (tastes like there is some rice pudding in there too).
Anyway, so I stumbled upon a 'clone' recipe for it:

CAP Sweet Strawberry 6%
TFA Dairy/Milk 6%
CAP Vanilla Custard 1%

Fast forward 4 weeks to the tasting...
It is like vaping strawberry cheese. It makes me want to vomit just to improve the taste in my mouth.
I tried adding 4% TFA Strawberry Ripe to it, but I think the cheese sensed weakness and has only grown stronger.

TFA Milk/Dairy seems to be a bit of a bugger, I have tried it at 3% too (in other mixes) and that is too strong.

TFA Dairy/Milk percentages and flavour:
6% = Cheese
3% = Butter
2% = Milky taste present, but not overly creamy
1% = Very mild milkyness

Does anyone else have any tasting notes on TFA Dairy/Milk, or have any simple recipes using it for a nice Strawberry Cream/Custard recipe?

Reactions: mauricem00

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Yeah, I agree, I love cheese, but I draw the line at vaping it. Some people must love cheese more than I do, or just have no taste buds.

I guess if you have like 30% flavouring in total then 4% would be ok, as long as the other flavours are strong.
A mix of mine (5% INW Raspberry, 9% CAP VC, 2% TFA Dairy) is not buttery tasting, but the Dairy has muted the Raspberry somewhat.

Someone must have some awesome recipes using TFA Dairy/Milk...

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
I can't take the tfa sweet cream taste personally, so use Capella' s instead and get none of that funky "cheese tone stuff"- thanks for heads up that the dairy milk has that nasty taste too, now I know not to buy that one either....I know this is a serious post, but in a way, I found it funny also, thanks ...I actually had worse descriptions initially than cheese for tfa sc, know I'm not alone with some "different" tastes I get from things

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I can't take the tfa sweet cream taste personally, so use Capella' s instead and get none of that funky "cheese tone stuff"- thanks for heads up that the dairy milk has that nasty taste too, now I know not to buy that one either....I know this is a serious post, but in a way, I found it funny also, thanks ...I actually had worse descriptions initially than cheese for tfa sc, know I'm not alone with some "different" tastes I get from things

That is good to know (about the TFA SC), I was thinking of trying that, but I will avoid it like the plague now :)
I can imagine that some (most?) of TFA's creamy flavours are comprised of similar ingredients, so I won't be holding my breath on finding a diamond amongst the rough (tasting). Are there any of their creamy type flavours that you do like? Or their creamy vanilla ones?

I am currently experimenting with FA Vienna Cream, which I think I may love, but I am not ready to commit to it just yet. Early test on it's lonesome @3% was tasty and creamy, but I am waiting on mixtures to steep before I go out and buy an engagement ring or whatever.

Reactions: baseballmom

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I haven't tried the Dairy Milk flavor, because it's got diketones of some kind, ditto their Sweet Cream. I do know that their Malted Milk flavor tastes a lot like plastic; burned or melted plastic, sorta.

I agree with bbmom, capella's sweet cream is excellent, very authentic tasting -- 1 or 2 drops in 2% milk makes it taste like whole milk.

TFA's Vanilla Swirl is outstanding; their DX Bavarian Cream is pretty good as a background cream flavor. Mix a bit of the Dx Bavarian with some of the Vanilla Swirl, bingo, custard flavor without diketones.

Andria

Reactions: DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I haven't tried the Dairy Milk flavor, because it's got diketones of some kind, ditto their Sweet Cream. I do know that their Malted Milk flavor tastes a lot like plastic; burned or melted plastic, sorta.

I agree with bbmom, capella's sweet cream is excellent, very authentic tasting -- 1 or 2 drops in 2% milk makes it taste like whole milk.

TFA's Vanilla Swirl is outstanding; their DX Bavarian Cream is pretty good as a background cream flavor. Mix a bit of the Dx Bavarian with some of the Vanilla Swirl, bingo, custard flavor without diketones.

Andria

That sounds like a good mix! I seem to be drawn to the delicious diketones for some reason, so it might be good for me to try the DX range instead.

I drink a couple pints of whole milk per day (mainly in tea), so it will be interesting to see if I can taste a difference in using your 1-2 drops method.
If it doesn't work for me then I should probably just buy a cow.

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
Malted milk at lower %'s I do like a lot, I think anything too high would get weird maybe-vanilla swirl, and using up my bavarian cream will switch to dx next...no mango sticky rice recipes for haven't found a rice flavor, well rice crisps, but....have mango but how they pull off rice?

An if dairy is worse than sc, YIKES!!!!

I have a traded flavor from someone on ecf, Hangsen cream for me tfa sc to them, but haven't tried it yet and some say fa(flavor art) has a good milk/dairy one too...I have been happy enough with cap' s and hesitant to try others out of fear of yucky "cheese" notes

Nice seeing you diy-ing w:) it's been fun for me, I've made some nasty ones, most pretty good and a few really good for my tastes at least

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
That sounds like a good mix! I seem to be drawn to the delicious diketones for some reason, so it might be good for me to try the DX range instead.

I drink a couple pints of whole milk per day (mainly in tea), so it will be interesting to see if I can taste a difference in using your 1-2 drops method.
If it doesn't work for me then I should probably just buy a cow.

I drink a cup of cocoa made with warm milk every night before bed, and I have to MAKE myself not put that drop or two into the 2% milk before I warm it -- it's for vaping! :D My husband mistakenly grabbed the 1% instead of 2% milk a while back, and although it still won't lighten coffee very much, adding 2 drops of the sweet cream really saves the taste! it makes it taste like you just put real cream in your coffee, even if it's not very light. :D I think the Sweet Cream might be Capella's very best flavor.

Andria

ETA -- on the diketone-free custard flavor made with TFA's Vanilla Swirl and DX Bavarian -- you would also need to add sweetener; TFA's flavors are very much "single note" flavors, but that's a good thing, since everyone has a vastly different idea of what is "sweet enough."

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
I use TFA's sweet cream and whipped cream a lot--in fact one or the other or both are in almost every mix I make --

And of course their Bavarian Cream is killer! (I prefer the regular to the DX though).

Also, Vanilla Swirl and French Vanilla are awesome.

Glad I haven't tried the dairy yet..I think I will skip that one! (thanks for the heads up!)

Last edited:

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
I find their french vanilla cream and bavarian cream or french vanilla cream works very well for adding a creamy flavor to nuts,chocolate mint or tobacco.have not tried it with strawberry yet but think the bavarian cream would work well for that. the DX does not have the custard note and I prefer that over the regular bavarian cream their vanilla bean gelato is also very good and diketone free.thanks for the heads up on their dairy milk and sweet cream.guess I will be avoiding those

Reactions: DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Malted milk at lower %'s I do like a lot, I think anything too high would get weird maybe-vanilla swirl, and using up my bavarian cream will switch to dx next...no mango sticky rice recipes for haven't found a rice flavor, well rice crisps, but....have mango but how they pull off rice?

An if dairy is worse than sc, YIKES!!!!

I have a traded flavor from someone on ecf, Hangsen cream for me tfa sc to them, but haven't tried it yet and some say fa(flavor art) has a good milk/dairy one too...I have been happy enough with cap' s and hesitant to try others out of fear of yucky "cheese" notes

Nice seeing you diy-ing w:) it's been fun for me, I've made some nasty ones, most pretty good and a few really good for my tastes at least

It is good to see a familiar face (/avatar) in these realms :toast:
For me the flavour in the Mango Sticky rice (forget the name CV gave it) is simply Mango & Coconut, possibly a touch of rice krispies (but don't remember any real rice taste being in there).
It was pretty delicious though, and vaping it was the first time I have enjoyed coconut since an ill fated night in my teens (involving Malibu) ruined coconut for me (over a decade ago).

As for FA, yeah, if this Vienna Cream is anything to go by then they all should be pretty tasty (good tasty), I will have to sample more.

Yeah, it feels good to be getting creative and finally working towards making a set of ADVs that live up to my stupidly high expec-vaptions :)
You may remember how much of a fussy bugger I was when it came to reviewing my CV boxes :blush:

I am just waiting on a windfall that enables me to basically buy every flavour under the sun, then the real fun can start (probably along with a lot of vomiting from all the cheese vapes I accidentally create).

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
It is good to see a familiar face (/avatar) in these realms :toast:
For me the flavour in the Mango Sticky rice (forget the name CV gave it) is simply Mango & Coconut, possibly a touch of rice krispies (but don't remember any real rice taste being in there).
It was pretty delicious though, and vaping it was the first time I have enjoyed coconut since an ill fated night in my teens (involving Malibu) ruined coconut for me (over a decade ago).

As for FA, yeah, if this Vienna Cream is anything to go by then they all should be pretty tasty (good tasty), I will have to sample more.

Yeah, it feels good to be getting creative and finally working towards making a set of ADVs that live up to my stupidly high expec-vaptions :)
You may remember how much of a fussy bugger I was when it came to reviewing my CV boxes :blush:

I am just waiting on a windfall that enables me to basically buy every flavour under the sun, then the real fun can start (probably along with a lot of vomiting from all the cheese vapes I accidentally create).

You know, I'm wondering... if maybe that "cheese" sort of taste could be put to good use in a cheesecake flavor...?

Andria

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
You know, I'm wondering... if maybe that "cheese" sort of taste could be put to good use in a cheesecake flavor...?

Andria

I am absolving myself from any responsibility for this!
I would rather have the cheese taste with a dry cracker pair, or maybe with some Marmite flavouring.
I wont suggest trying the cheese with grapes, cranberry or apricot, although now that I think about it...

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I use TFA's sweet cream and whipped cream a lot--in fact one or the other or both are in almost every mix I make --

And of course their Bavarian Cream is killer! (I prefer the regular to the DX though).

Also, Vanilla Swirl and French Vanilla are awesome.

Glad I haven't tried the dairy yet..I think I will skip that one! (thanks for the heads up!)

Sounds like you are a big fan!
What kind of percentage are you generally using them in your recipes?

My shopping list is growing by the minute.

Reactions: Sgt.Rock

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I find their french vanilla cream and bavarian cream or french vanilla cream works very well for adding a creamy flavor to nuts,chocolate mint or tobacco.have not tried it with strawberry yet but think the bavarian cream would work well for that. the DX does not have the custard note and I prefer that over the regular bavarian cream their vanilla bean gelato is also very good and diketone free.thanks for the heads up on their dairy milk and sweet cream.guess I will be avoiding those

Some more love for the Swirl, Bavarian Cream and Vanilla Cream, that is good to hear. I was worried I was barking up the wrong creamy tree with TFA.

I have tried the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream which I believe is the Diketone rich version of the Gelato, it is an interesting flavour, quite spicy in the lead up to maturity, then mellows out and gives a nice lingering taste on the exhale. It needs more body for me though, I am not sure how to explain it, but it just lacks heaviness or depth or something.

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
Sounds like you are a big fan!
What kind of percentage are you generally using them in your recipes?

My shopping list is growing by the minute.

I have been using TFA almost exclusively and my mixes generally top out around 30% flavor (I like 'em full flavor). Creams of one kind or another usually are about 1/4 of that total but some are quite a bit higher like with my sweet menthol cream. That one is almost all creams I guess you could say as it's 12.5% Creme de Menthe, 12.5% Whipped Cream plus 2% each of Sweetener, Menthol and Koolada. This has been an ever evolving recipe for me..I tend to adjust it slightly every time I mix a new bottle ~lol~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread