TFV12 rba issue (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelKay

Apr 3, 2017
So for the past few hours I've been trying to make the dual coil rba head on a brand new smok TFV12 work... I'm using dual 8 wrap 26g/40g fused SS clapton which should give roughly something around .15ohms at 3mm but all I'm getting from my geekvape 521 tab is crazy measurements! From .22 up to 8ohms and everything in between (!!!) even by just touching the coils with ceramic tweezers or with my fingers. When I screw the rba head too tight to the base, the total resistance seems to drop and when I loosen it goes all the way up and that's not the case everytime so there's no standard pattern. The coils themselves are tightly screwed in place and nothing seems to be touching where they shouldn't. I also wound a dozen other coils of the same wire at four or six or nine wraps and still nothing corresponds to where it should. I've measured other tanks and setups and all are ok on the 521 tab. Any ideas?
Is the rba head useless?

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
Ok so I checked the hex screws just now and they spin like crazy as I tried to tighten them up more! Is that the reason in your opinion? I cannot tell if the screws themselves are stripped or if it's the screw holes.

If the 12 is like the 8, you should have gotten some extra screws. If you did, try replacing the screws first.

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
Nope... it's the screw holes. The other set of hex screws react the same... so the rba is broken for good now?

Yeah, it seems so. Once those post holes are stripped, I don't think there's much that can be done. But I'm still kind of new to building, so maybe someone else will come in with an idea.

Reactions: AxelKay

Njsm

May 9, 2017
Alberta, canada
The tfv8 and tfv12 both have terrible hex screws and threads. I stopped using thick wire builds in both for this very reason.

Infact. The tfv8 rbas i bought last year came with the hex screws pre stripped from some factory monkey forcing those fused claptons in to it. My tfv12 rbas were much luckier. Only 1 hex screw came stripped out of the box.

Both are great vapes but.. (my tfv12 rba-t is my favorite vape). But....

Made in china

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
I have 2 TFV8 tanks, and I use the RBA deck for both of them. They do OK, and they were good to start on, but I've since got a Troll RTA, and I like it more. So if you're going to build, a dedicated RTA would be the way to go. But I would still suggest the TFV RBAs as starters to building. That way, if you mess up and get frustrated, you can go back to the pre-made coil heads until you're ready to try again.

Njsm

May 9, 2017
Alberta, canada
The v12 rba-t is a great rba by any standards(the regular rba is just okay) as far as performance goes its top notch.
However i wouldnt call the v12 a beginners rba. As it does have some finnicky reliability issues on the parts, an inexperienced builder will likely greatly shorten the life of that deck or its moving parts.

I myself wont buy anything unless its rebuildable (or has a RBA available at time of purchase). Especially with coil prices skyrocketing on every new subohm that hits the market.
I think smok intentionally uses bad hex screws to make you buy another rba for it down the road to be honest. At $30/3 coils theyre not making any money on those rbas (till you buy another one).

I do agree with don29 and dyana though.
Do some research and get yourself a high quality RTA that suits your needs. Those smok rtas are disposable just like their coils if you dont take care of them.

Njsm

May 9, 2017
Alberta, canada
I was getting small leaks when i filled.
I've remedied that with changing wicking habits. Still leaks a few drops when i have it tilted and its driving around with me in the hot truck. This is generally caused by your wick being in contact with metal (chamber and base) and the vibration coaxes it out.
Ive had leak issues on some rba and rtas that were remedied simply by tucking the wicks in a bit.
Allthough. Your wicks on the v12 come in direct contact with the base at the top of the juice channels And will probably always sweat a little bit.

Does okay in my pocket.
I was using storebought coils at work when i first got it (bought on the go. Had the rba on order for when i got home) and none of those were very leak tight either.

Least it doesnt leak everywhere. Now your pocket smells good.

Reactions: AxelKay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread