TFV8 Big Baby - Can't shake the burned taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digress

Jul 13, 2017
Kortrijk, Belgium
Hey guys,

So yesterday, I was switching between tanks on my G PRIV - I tend to put mint in the Baby and sweet liquids in the Big Baby - so I added some NEON Coffee flavour (30PG/70VG) in the Big Baby (before that i was using a similar taste which was also a 30/70 mix, so I didn't bother cleaning the tank out), put the Big Baby on my G PRIV and immediately I was getting a burned taste. Well, it was the first time I used the liquid, but I'm sure that's not the taste it gives, otherwise it would be really horrible. It was obviously a burnt coil.

Didn't know what caused it to be burnt, figured at first that I was still using the .15 resistance setting from my baby on the .2 big baby, so figured that must've killed it. Sounds fishy given the small difference though.

Anyway, so I let my tank soak in hot water for 10 minutes, cleaned it off with some q tips, let it dry a little, switched the coil for a new .15ohm quad coil, primed the coil, closed up the tank, added some liquid, and set up my resistance. While setting up my resistance I accidentally pushed the fire bar for .1 sec. I hit myself over the head for taking that risk with a new coil that hasn't sat for enough time, but oh well. I figured it'd be fine.

I let it sit for some time, an hour or so, then I took it out. Sure enough, the burned taste was still there.

So I said (chuck) it, tossed that second coil, boiled some more water, disassembled the tank and let it sit over night, this morning I cleaned it off with q tips, let it dry a bit, assembled it with a new .15ohm coil, primed the coil, added some more liquid to the tank and let it sit for at least an hour and a half until I got to work.

Then at work, I decided to give it a go.

Still burnt.

Ok, so I'm at my wit's end. I've wrecked two coils with burned taste persisting through my tank. I acted fast sure enough and my tank looks fine, nothing looked gunky, didn't smell burned after I cleaned it, the water was always clear enough... What am I doing wrong?

The last time I realize I had my tank closed when I took my first vape. Is that why my coil's wrecked? I haven't been using 30/70 for too long, is it a bad fit for a .15 ohm coil? I should think not as it should be working with 100VG, no?

Just don't wanna be burning through coils at this rate, vaping is already an expensive enough hobby, and that burned taste is really annoying the hell out of me.

Did I get a bad batch of coils, or is it me that's doing something wrong?

I just searched this on the forums and read I was supposed to take some pulls without lighting with the air holes closed, and I'll do this next time, but this is not a requirement for getting your coil to work, right?

The burned taste is less pronounced in this coil than in the first one, so I'm guessing that I didn't burn this one, but it's still very pronounced, and I cleaned my tank properly, except take off the rubbers. Do I have to try replacing the rubbers? Tank is only a few weeks old...

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Is it a "burnt" taste or is it the taste of fresh cotton that hasn't been broke in yet. The reason I ask is cause when I was a noob I had the same issue thinking my cotton was burnt right off the first rip but I noticed as the cotton got broke in (I didn't know it at the time) the taste got better. I just had to tough it out through the first tank full.

Also are you setting you wattage to 30W-40W and taking a couple hits then bumping up the wattage in 5W-10W increments? You have to start low and bump up the wattage slowly to break in the cotton. You can't go straight to 80W from the beginning or you will scorch the cotton and will never get rid of that burnt taste.

Another thing, are you saturating the cotton inside and out before you put it in your tank? That's called priming the coil head. When I vapes pre-made coil heads I would saturate the cotton inside and out before I put it in the deck. When I say saturated I mean it was dripping out the bottom. You could also put the coil head (by itself) in a small tub of juice where it is completely covered (30 min or so) so the juice can saturate the cotton.

After the cotton is saturated, then put it in your tank and take some dry pulls on it with the AFC closed or just about closed (you are sucking juice into the cotton and making sure it's saturated). Then after 3-4 dry pulls start off your wattage at 30W-40W (you may not get much vapor at all or any for that matter and that's ok to begin with). Take a few hits and slowly bump up your wattage in 5W-10W increments until you get the wattage you vape at. By the time you get to the wattage you vape at you should have the full flavor of your juice and no cotton or burnt taste. Go through the first tank full and by the time you have to refill your tank you should be tasting the full flavor of the juice. If your not the. You didn't do something right.

Try that and let me know if its better. That should get you where you need to be with your coil heads. Hope that works for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digress

Jul 13, 2017
Kortrijk, Belgium
It may be that I didn't fully saturate the coils, I just prime them by putting some liquid on the top, then putting some liquid down the middle and letting it sit for a while. Last time I also put some liquid on the sides, but this time I forgot to do that, I just assembled the tank, put some liquid in the tank then let it sit for a while. Let it sit for at least an hour the last time though, so the juice should've pervaded the coil anyway I reckon. You don't think so?

Oh, and it's really a burnt taste. I've been trying to get rid of it, vaped almost a tank away, but with this taste it's really horrid. I'm pretty sure it's burnt. I'm gonna try cleaning my tank again tonight and be sure liquid is dripping all over the new coil, then let it sit and fill up my tank again. I hope it works, vaping is expensive enough as it is.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
It may be that I didn't fully saturate the coils, I just prime them by putting some liquid on the top, then putting some liquid down the middle and letting it sit for a while. Last time I also put some liquid on the sides, but this time I forgot to do that, I just assembled the tank, put some liquid in the tank then let it sit for a while. Let it sit for at least an hour the last time though, so the juice should've pervaded the coil anyway I reckon. You don't think so?

Oh, and it's really a burnt taste. I've been trying to get rid of it, vaped almost a tank away, but with this taste it's really horrid. I'm pretty sure it's burnt. I'm gonna try cleaning my tank again tonight and be sure liquid is dripping all over the new coil, then let it sit and fill up my tank again. I hope it works, vaping is expensive enough as it is.

The prebuilt coils such as manufactured coil heads are packed so tight with cotton it takes a while for it to get fully saturated. I pour a lot of juice down the center while rotating the coil head to make sure I get ever bit of the inside u Tim I see the outside wick holes start to get wet then I wet the wick holes also the. Like I said start at low wattage and work your way up to where you are comfortable vaping.

I got tired of having to deal with it and the taste while the cotton got broke in that I started building my own coils. After 4 years of vaping and building g coils I could never go back to stock coils. If I buy a tank with manufactured coils (which I never do anymore) I would get the RBA deck if it didn't come with one in the kit and build my own coils and wick them. I gave all the prebuilt coils to my friends. I don't even waste my money on those kind of tank anymore. I buy RTA's and RDA's. I only have 1 RTA (41mm Voltrove that holds 25ml of juice...the thing is a monster that I use on my lipo box. Pic down below). It is the smallest RTA I own (I do have a TFV12 that I never use cause the AF is so restricted for what I'm used to) and the smallest RDA I own is 30mm. I just get better flavor out of these and I do t have to worry about the packed cotton in prebuilt coil heads.

As for the burnt taste, that coil head is trash. Once the cotton gets scorched, you can run 10 tank fulls of juice through it and it won't get rid of it. Once that happens, trash the coil head and get a new one started. That's one good thing about RBA decks and building your own coils is that it doesn't take a break in period really. I will build just a normal single strand coil and wick it and soak it with juice. While it's on my CM 521 tab (the original that you can't get anymore. They have the 521 mini tab which works just the same. I'm able to check the resistance and fire the coils to work out the hotspots and fire the coil after it wicked and juiced so I can break in the cotton which is probably fired about 10 times while I'm putting more juice on the wick when it looks as if it's getting low on juice) and then on the RDA cal or tank and I'm vaping with full flavor pretty much right off rip.

I would suggest you getting some kanthal wire (it's cheap for 100ft spoil fromLightning Vapes. I'm in central Florida and they are only 2 hours from me in Sarasota so shipping is really quick for me but they are quick on shipping to anywhere) and get a CM coil jig or even the kit which comes with the tab mini, screwdrivers, the coil jig, pliers, flush cut snips for the wire and some Japanese cotton to get you started and start building single strand coils and use an app or steam engine to plug in what wire your using (size and what kind of metal) and it will tell you how many wraps to make. You can also look up vids on YouTube that teach you how to build and wick as a beginner. I think you would be a lot happier and find it easy and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying packs of coil heads. Of corse if you ever need any help, there are intermediate, novice and veterans on here that you can ask questions and we would be more than happy to help you out when need be.

Again if you need anything, we are here for you and there is no stupid question other than the question that is not asked. We were all in your shoes once so we have been there and done that my friend!

Oh BTW, the last pic in this comment is a pic of my lipo mod with a 30mm Buddha on top and a 30ml of juice sitting next to it for size comparison.

25eeb9af1838ad56d11b29527120b1fd.jpg

95c1de13a2c393f5e7c630a313cd25cf.jpg

Digress

Jul 13, 2017
Kortrijk, Belgium
The prebuilt coils such as manufactured coil heads are packed so tight with cotton it takes a while for it to get fully saturated. I pour a lot of juice down the center while rotating the coil head to make sure I get ever bit of the inside u Tim I see the outside wick holes start to get wet then I wet the wick holes also the. Like I said start at low wattage and work your way up to where you are comfortable vaping.

I got tired of having to deal with it and the taste while the cotton got broke in that I started building my own coils. After 4 years of vaping and building g coils I could never go back to stock coils. If I buy a tank with manufactured coils (which I never do anymore) I would get the RBA deck if it didn't come with one in the kit and build my own coils and wick them. I gave all the prebuilt coils to my friends. I don't even waste my money on those kind of tank anymore. I buy RTA's and RDA's. I only have 1 RTA (41mm Voltrove that holds 25ml of juice...the thing is a monster that I use on my lipo box. Pic down below). It is the smallest RTA I own (I do have a TFV12 that I never use cause the AF is so restricted for what I'm used to) and the smallest RDA I own is 30mm. I just get better flavor out of these and I do t have to worry about the packed cotton in prebuilt coil heads.

As for the burnt taste, that coil head is trash. Once the cotton gets scorched, you can run 10 tank fulls of juice through it and it won't get rid of it. Once that happens, trash the coil head and get a new one started. That's one good thing about RBA decks and building your own coils is that it doesn't take a break in period really. I will build just a normal single strand coil and wick it and soak it with juice. While it's on my CM 521 tab (the original that you can't get anymore. They have the 521 mini tab which works just the same. I'm able to check the resistance and fire the coils to work out the hotspots and fire the coil after it wicked and juiced so I can break in the cotton which is probably fired about 10 times while I'm putting more juice on the wick when it looks as if it's getting low on juice) and then on the RDA cal or tank and I'm vaping with full flavor pretty much right off rip.

I would suggest you getting some kanthal wire (it's cheap for 100ft spoil fromLightning Vapes. I'm in central Florida and they are only 2 hours from me in Sarasota so shipping is really quick for me but they are quick on shipping to anywhere) and get a CM coil jig or even the kit which comes with the tab mini, screwdrivers, the coil jig, pliers, flush cut snips for the wire and some Japanese cotton to get you started and start building single strand coils and use an app or steam engine to plug in what wire your using (size and what kind of metal) and it will tell you how many wraps to make. You can also look up vids on YouTube that teach you how to build and wick as a beginner. I think you would be a lot happier and find it easy and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying packs of coil heads. Of corse if you ever need any help, there are intermediate, novice and veterans on here that you can ask questions and we would be more than happy to help you out when need be.

Again if you need anything, we are here for you and there is no stupid question other than the question that is not asked. We were all in your shoes once so we have been there and done that my friend!

Oh BTW, the last pic in this comment is a pic of my lipo mod with a 30mm Buddha on top and a 30ml of juice sitting next to it for size comparison.

25eeb9af1838ad56d11b29527120b1fd.jpg

95c1de13a2c393f5e7c630a313cd25cf.jpg
I hear ya. Awesome pictures btw.

In all honesty I am planning to start building my own at some point, first I'm going to start mixing up my own liquids though, as that's the biggest cost I have. Until I have that down I'll be buying everything still. I'm not really tight on budget so a lot of people I'm sure have it worse than me, it's just I never smoked cigs in packs but I rolled my own so budget-wise for me vaping is a lot more expensive at the moment. Having to toss out 3 coils in one night is kind of giving me the creeps given that they cost me about €4 a piece. So I'm just trying to avoid that.

I guess I just didn't realize there is so much that can go wrong, it's not the first time I've changed a coil but it all went smoothly previously. Maybe I just need to allow for some longer delays and prime a little better due to the liquid now being 30PG/70VG while before it was 50/50.

Anyway, when I get the liquid mixing down I'll get everything I need to start building my own coils (wire, cotton, ohm meter etc.) and then look at some tutorials.

At the moment I just don't wanna run out of stuff given the availability and preparation ease of tobacco being much higher than vape gear.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I hear ya. Awesome pictures btw.

In all honesty I am planning to start building my own at some point, first I'm going to start mixing up my own liquids though, as that's the biggest cost I have. Until I have that down I'll be buying everything still. I'm not really tight on budget so a lot of people I'm sure have it worse than me, it's just I never smoked cigs in packs but I rolled my own so budget-wise for me vaping is a lot more expensive at the moment. Having to toss out 3 coils in one night is kind of giving me the creeps given that they cost me about €4 a piece. So I'm just trying to avoid that.

I guess I just didn't realize there is so much that can go wrong, it's not the first time I've changed a coil but it all went smoothly previously. Maybe I just need to allow for some longer delays and prime a little better due to the liquid now being 30PG/70VG while before it was 50/50.

Anyway, when I get the liquid mixing down I'll get everything I need to start building my own coils (wire, cotton, ohm meter etc.) and then look at some tutorials.

At the moment I just don't wanna run out of stuff given the availability and preparation ease of tobacco being much higher than vape gear.

IMO I would say start learning to build first. I also DIY my juice and it's cheaper for you to start learning to build. When I started DIY it was $150 and to start building it was only like around $50-$60. Then you can take the money your saving on the coils heads and put towards DIY but you do what you think is best for you you know what I mean?

The VG/PG ratio may be the problem. Being thicker viscosity it will take longer to saturate the tightly packed cotton.

Back into work I go. :0(

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
DIY juice is so much cheaper than buying it, that once you get a bit of wholesale materials, you will be saving money, perhaps compensating for the coil issue? I get a lot less cranky chucking some burnt juice than a coil. I'm like you and I want to build and have even gotten the supplies, I just need to get on learning it :) Everyone says it's easier than one thinks, so it may well be.

IDK about the coils, but I have noticed when I reuse some of my coils, I get a burnt/plasticy taste right at the start, but it goes away swiftly. I understand how annoying it is to junk a coil right off the bat. It sounds to me that you are getting closer to priming well, and a dry hit (if it's bad enough) yes, it can ruin your coil. Sounds like you are getting some good advice, however, if it continues not working, I'd visit a friendly B&M if you have one near you, and ask them to take a good hard look at the mod, and see if anything is up with it.

Good luck, I hope you get this sorted out...

Anna

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Building and DIY are worth looking into. As for your current "problem"........

Tanks you are familiar with, new coil(s) and assuming you have replaced coils before, new juice, and getting a "burnt taste"......I would be looking hard at your new juice.

First, did you try to salvage the juice left in the first tank you tried that tasted burnt (poured it back into the bottle)? I don't know if that could contaminate/ruin the whole bottle, but worth considering.

Whether you did or not, I would clean the tank, prime and put in a new coil, and fill with a juice you know is good. If that turns out fine, your coil priming should be fine. Putting into use the prior advice, it should turn out fine. If not, I would look close at the coils you got, what is engraved on them, and where you got them.

If putting in a new coil with a known juice works out fine and you are compelled to save that bottle of new juice, vape down the tank with the oldest and soon to be replaced coil, pour out what is left, fill with your Neon Coffee, and give it a try. If it is good, enjoy it and vape on knowing you now have the correct priming method. Still burnt, I'd flush that juice and move on. There are a ton of great flavors available!

Although unlikely, it is possible to get some bad coils or a bad bottle of juice.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!!

Digress

Jul 13, 2017
Kortrijk, Belgium
Cleaned it twice, saturated the coil, assembled it, let it sit, and all is well! Appears these coils have to be treated with kid gloves! Thank you all!

Picked another juice though! Not getting caught with that! My half a liter 30/70 also arrived in the mail today, so I'll get some flavors tomorrow and mix up some of my own juice!

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
DIY juice is so much cheaper than buying it, that once you get a bit of wholesale materials, you will be saving money, perhaps compensating for the coil issue? I get a lot less cranky chucking some burnt juice than a coil. I'm like you and I want to build and have even gotten the supplies, I just need to get on learning it :) Everyone says it's easier than one thinks, so it may well be.

IDK about the coils, but I have noticed when I reuse some of my coils, I get a burnt/plasticy taste right at the start, but it goes away swiftly. I understand how annoying it is to junk a coil right off the bat. It sounds to me that you are getting closer to priming well, and a dry hit (if it's bad enough) yes, it can ruin your coil. Sounds like you are getting some good advice, however, if it continues not working, I'd visit a friendly B&M if you have one near you, and ask them to take a good hard look at the mod, and see if anything is up with it.

Good luck, I hope you get this sorted out...

Anna

It is a lot easier than people think. Especially if you are using a coil hog and single strand wire. Now when you get into the aliens and staggered fused claptons and staple/fused staple it gets harder but all in due time. Get you some wire in 24g (the most used gauge or resistance wire I would say) and a jig and ohm reader and your only a couple wraps away from making your own coils. Watch YouTube videos and see how easy it is and you will be asking yourself why you didn't start this earlier in your vaping career lol.

Reactions: Digress

Digress

Jul 13, 2017
Kortrijk, Belgium
It is a lot easier than people think. Especially if you are using a coil hog and single strand wire. Now when you get into the aliens and staggered fused claptons and staple/fused staple it gets harder but all in due time. Get you some wire in 24g (the most used gauge or resistance wire I would say) and a jig and ohm reader and your only a couple wraps away from making your own coils. Watch YouTube videos and see how easy it is and you will be asking yourself why you didn't start this earlier in your vaping career lol.

Watched some videos and it does look doable with a good ohm meter and the right tools. Good tools cost a lot more than a half a liter bottle of base though! I would like to build an SS coil for my tfv8 to start learning tc even if I end up going back to wattage.

Reactions: Wheelin247
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread