TFV8 coil problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapevapevape234903204

Feb 1, 2016
About 6 months ago I bought a smok Alien 85w with a TFV8 tank. The coils that were originally in the tank worked fine, eventually though, the coil got burnt and I switched it out with a different coil that came with it. Right after changing it I took a hit and it was burnt. Then I remembered that you have to wait 15 minutes after changing the coil to let the coils saturate. After that the coil worked but only for a few hits only at 20 watts until the coil becomes burnt again. Is this because I installed the coil wrong (there were plastic rings that came with the kit) or because I forgot to soak the coils for 15 minutes after replacing it?

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Starting out with some clarifications so I/we get things right.....

If you got the AL 85 "baby Alien" kit, it comes with the TFV8 "Baby Beast" tank, which is different then the full TFV8. Hard to imagine being able to burn a coil with either at 20 watts, but you mention "the plastic rings that come with the kit." Did you use those somehow?

If you put a new coil in the Baby Beast tank (not using those spare O-rings) without priming and not letting it soak for a while, that would at least singe or burn the cotton. Get a new coil, put a few drops on all exposed cotton, assemble and fill the tank, take a few primer puffs without firing it, and still let it sit a bit. Then start out at low wattage (20 watts should even be low for starting, but works) and gradually increase until it gives the vape you like.

And just a suggestion, if the Baby Beast is your only tank, consider getting a second tank. Makes it much easier to give a new coil in the other time to "soak." Also makes switching flavors simple. If you are liking the Baby Beast tank, you might look at the Big Baby. Same tank, but bigger (less filling) and takes the same coils.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Starting out with some clarifications so I/we get things right.....

If you got the AL 85 "baby Alien" kit, it comes with the TFV8 "Baby Beast" tank, which is different then the full TFV8. Hard to imagine being able to burn a coil with either at 20 watts, but you mention "the plastic rings that come with the kit." Did you use those somehow?

If you put a new coil in the Baby Beast tank (not using those spare O-rings) without priming and not letting it soak for a while, that would at least singe or burn the cotton. Get a new coil, put a few drops on all exposed cotton, assemble and fill the tank, take a few primer puffs without firing it, and still let it sit a bit. Then start out at low wattage (20 watts should even be low for starting, but works) and gradually increase until it gives the vape you like.

And just a suggestion, if the Baby Beast is your only tank, consider getting a second tank. Makes it much easier to give a new coil in the other time to "soak." Also makes switching flavors simple. If you are liking the Baby Beast tank, you might look at the Big Baby. Same tank, but bigger (less filling) and takes the same coils.

This...so much this. I've burnt a coil or 2 even after letting it sit. Smoke coils take a bit longer to wick, even doing the steps described. I have both the Baby and the Big Baby, swap them while waiting.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
IIRC, the tank comes with a Q2 0.4 Ohm installed and a T8 0.15 Ohm spare.

The T8 is a bear to prime and at the upper limit of its recommended wattage range, it's really too much coil for such a small tank. The Q2's are much better suited for the Baby and the T8's better suited for the Big Baby. Q2's are a lot cheaper, too.

I covet a Big Baby tank but I'm holding out for $15.00-ish. ;)

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I've heard alot about burnt baby beast coils, Best solution i've found (appart from the priming and letting it sit part)

Take a small sewing needle and pierce 2 holes (one at top, and bottom) of each airholes, that way the liquids gets to wick the coils much easier. I've done this method with a t6 and a x4 coils and it works wonders.

Priming a coil is still extremely important and should always be the first thing you do (i do the holes first though with smok's coils)

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
I've heard alot about burnt baby beast coils, Best solution i've found (appart from the priming and letting it sit part)

Take a small sewing needle and pierce 2 holes (one at top, and bottom) of each airholes, that way the liquids gets to wick the coils much easier. I've done this method with a t6 and a x4 coils and it works wonders.

Priming a coil is still extremely important and should always be the first thing you do (i do the holes first though with smok's coils)
yup. spot on. as is the other advice above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread