Thailand: E-cigarettes banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lipp

Nov 4, 2014
Thailand
And so in bed with BT and BP. (Or any big business for that matter) :evil:

Their not in bed with big tobacco, they ARE big tobacco:

Thailand Tobacco Monopoly, known as TTM, is a state enterprise which had a monopoly in Thailand over the manufacturing and distribution of tobacco products.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand_Tobacco_Monopoly

Mr Katha Bunitanuku is the one quoted in the article. He is the "Thai Pharmacy Network for Tobacco Control manager".
I would assume that they have a financial interest in nicotine patch, gum, zyban and Chantix sales.

Last edited:

Lipp

Nov 4, 2014
Thailand
I live here in thailnd and i can tell you that i cannot believe the balls on this article ! And what is even more sad is that 95% will believe it and not for a second question anything that comes from a doctor on tv or quoted in a news article!

And this is in the countries leading newspaper.

Your absolutely right, very few will question the word of a "authority figure". I offered a Thai neighbor a taste of my e-cig and he said "no, too dangerous" as he puffed away on his analog cigarette.
:(

Last edited:

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I would guess the WHO almost certainly has a hand in this, because they effectively dictate "public health" policy in developing nations that rely on UN money for the maintenance of their healthcare infrastructure, and they do it through thinly-veiled threats and intimidation.

"Hey Thailand, remember that much-needed new hospital we were going to build you next year? It sure would be a shame if you didn't take a hard enough line on e-cigs and we had to go build it in somebody else's country instead."

This is quite literally how the WHO operates.

Reactions: Caro123

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
From the Thailand National News Bureau:

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) had earlier called attention to the rise in popularity of e-cigarettes and Baraku, also known as shisha, which is now widely available on the internet and at local markets. The DDC reported that the trendy products, dubbed as a healthier replacement for cigarettes, contain dangerous chemicals including organic compounds such as propylene, glycol, and heavy metals.

*facepalm*

Lipp

Nov 4, 2014
Thailand
I'll be flying to Thailand in 2 weeks for vacation. Should I be worried bringing my gear/juice?

I've had no problem discreetly bringing in vaping gear/juice in the past. I don't know if anything will change regarding customs at the airport. I haven't heard of any problems yet.

Tourism is a big part of Thailands economy. I cant imagine that they would start hassling tourists over this.

Don't worry, just be aware and enjoy your vacation! :2cool:

Last edited:

Lipp

Nov 4, 2014
Thailand
From the Thailand National News Bureau:

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) had earlier called attention to the rise in popularity of e-cigarettes and Baraku, also known as shisha, which is now widely available on the internet and at local markets. The DDC reported that the trendy products, dubbed as a healthier replacement for cigarettes, contain dangerous chemicals including organic compounds such as propylene, glycol, and heavy metals.

:facepalm:

I like Dragonpuff's tagline:
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." – Doctor Who
:vapor:

I've had no problem discreetly bringing in vaping gear/juice in the past. I don't know if anything will change regarding customs at the airport. I haven't heard of any problems yet.

Tourism is a big part of Thailands economy. I cant imagine that they would start hassling tourists over this.

Don't worry, just be aware and enjoy your vacation! :2cool:

Watch the movie, "Return To Paradise". Be careful, they don't mess around over there!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Watch the movie, "Return To Paradise". Be careful, they don't mess around over there!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Add to that the movie "Brokedown Palace." There's no doubt in my mind the Thais are serious about that 10 year prison sentence...

Lipp

Nov 4, 2014
Thailand
Does this means that even tourists ire not allowed to bring their vaping equipment?I

Here's the rub, illegal to import it, illegal to sell it. It's not illegal to own it.
I would assume that bringing it into the country is considered importing it?

"Deputy Prime Minister Visanu Krua-ngarm in charge of legal affairs explained that the Commerce Ministry’s regulation only meant to ban the import of hookah and electric cigarettes and did not prohibit any people from possessing the two products." cabinet endorses import ban on electric cigarettes - cabinet endorses import ban on electric cigarettes - Thai PBS English News
So you can have it, but you cant bring it in because its illegal to import and you cant buy it here as its illegal for anyone to sell it to you.:confused:

I've been in and out of the country with vaping gear and never had a problem, (but I've never been stopped for a bag inspection by customs).
Airport security doesn't seem to have a problem with it as I've put my gear in the x-ray scanner when traveling and they let me through.
Some people have had packages confiscated by customs when they ordered stuff from outside of the country.
I vape in public where smoking is allowed and haven't been throw in jail for it yet. :unsure:

Last edited:

davidmx1

Jan 17, 2015
Seattle, WA, USA
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Inappropriate
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread