May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK

evilferret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Flushing NY
I'm in the U.S. and the ones I got from harbor freight have worked fine. You have to make sure your cutters have the sharp "teeth" and not the "blunt" teeth for this to work. I.E., 7" Wire Stripper with Cutter work fine, but something like this one http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/485/1230485_101102121538_wirestripper.jpg will not work. That'd be like watching a cow eat a pig. Ain't gonna work well with it's dull teeth.

I got one from Home Depot that looks like these and it didn't work. It would squish the carto too much.

Also read somewhere that it was making 2 small holes or something from all the pages on this thread (believe you posted it too).

Would like a definite confirm that it works as the OP's model did before I spend more money on wire cutters (I have way too many now).

Thanks for the quick response!

SteveFromNY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
New York
I've been using mine for about a week now, using the carto punched by the wire strippers. Working just fine for me :) No wicking problems or anything, even on my VV turned up to the highest voltage (burns hottest that way).

Pic of carto after using that Harbor Freight wire cutter, please...
4.gif

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Just had to post to say thank you for this simple yet brilliant idea.

I don't know how many posts I've made saying there should be some sort of pliers that should be able to do this vs. having to do all the hammer, nail, etc. As hard as I try, I am just not mechanically inclined, so hopefully this will work.

I have a Harbor Freight and a Radio Shack. I'll stop by Radio Shack (they are closest as Harbor Freight is about 30 miles away) and see if how that one works.

I am getting back into cartos but only have the CE2's now but they should be good enough to test them out since they should be the same dimensions.

Again, brilliant idea.

UPDATE:

Well I got the one at Radio Shack:

RadioShack® Gauged Wire Stripper/Cutter - RadioShack.com

And it didn't really work for me or at least didn't work just out of the box and trying to use it.

I tried using blank CE2 tubes:

I tried using the CE2 while it was still attached to a connector:

I even tried using one of my old attys as this tube was very strong:

But as you can see from the pics, it mainly either just put divots in them (which would be good to then use a nail and hammer) or it put divots and then bent the tube but absolutely not one hole. I think the issue is if you try to use the one closest to the cutting end, the end of the blade or cutter rubs against the carto preventing it from going down so I also tried the next to last tip but still same results.

I don't have any cartos yet but using the three different tubes above, I don't think using an actual carto would make much difference.

I also heard back from a friend who got the Harbor Freight one and they said it worked ok, crushed the carto a little bit and one side didn't cut through as well as the other and just had to switch sides but for $5 it was a great alternative.

So guess I'll just wait until I can get a carto punch jig somewhere and for the time being try to be as consistent as I can with the old hammer and nail. There was a video of another punch someone was working on but don't think it is for sale and he was just experimenting but I like the simplicity of it:

Arry Carto Tank v3 ACTv3 PUNCH - YouTube

Take care.

Last edited:

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Well I can confirm it works in regards to punching holes but until I get a new supply of cartos tomorrow, I can't confirm the wicking and such but from the size of the holes that were pre-punched on a carto I got with a tank, they look awfully close in size. This device also hardly leaves any dimpling or distorting of the carto after using.

I got mine at Home Depot:

1/4 in. Chrome-Plated Brass Self-Tapping Saddle Valve-A-50 at The Home Depot

I'll try to show the best I can of the holes I made and how many turns, etc. YMMV. When I say Half Turns below, I basically mean a 180 degree twist or half circle using that handle, hope that makes sense?

This is the hole that was pre-punched on the carto when I received it:

This is the hole (bottom row on the left, the one on the right is a pre-punched hole) it made when I did a half turn after I heard the pop:

Ok, the hole on the right is about 3 Half turns after the pop and the one on the left is after I turned it as far as it would turn, roughly about 4.5 Half turns after the pop:

I thought this thing was going to be HUGE (TWSS) but it's actually not that big. If you hold it up to a door hinge it's about the same length. On the link I posted in the beginning you can click on the specifications tab to see the actual dimensions\measurements.

Last pic below shows how far the spike comes out when it is fully extended:

Well I think I covered everything, if not feel free to ask me anything?

Overall it appears to be a definite win. I'll know for sure tomorrow in regards to the wicking but seeing the holes, it looks like it should be ok? I am not sure by making the big hole if that also punctures the middle air tube but the holes look soooo close to the pre-punched ones? But for just about $7.00, it sooo is worth not having to use a hammer and nail\screw and guesstimate how hard to hit it, if it went through, etc. I am not sure what the metal spike is made of (hopefully steel) or if it will eventually start wearing out but again for only $7, I don't mind buying a new one or two to keep on hand and this seems like a common tool so it shouldn't go away anytime soon. My main thing I want\like is being consistent and K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) and this definitely does have it. I am not a modder and just an average guy. I mean I know how to do some common things but no where near what a lot of these modders can do so I feel if I can do this ANYONE can:)

Hope this helps.

ED-209

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2010
Florida Panhandle
I would think that the one pib in the whole thing, would be getting the correct size hole for the thickness of the different juices you use.

Agree but at least with this tool you have the ability of fine tuning a little better vs. when using a hammer and nail. Once it pierces the tube you have about 4 half turns vs. when using a hammer it's kinda tedious to just keep tapping to make the hole bigger and having to be careful not to go too far. But to each their own, I know those that use a hammer and nail and it's like 2nd nature to them. I am just glad there are becoming more options out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread