Thanks for the info! Need some opinions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

erocdrummer

May 28, 2015
First off, this forum has come up on many a googles and been invaluable for my transition to beginner vaping. Thank you guys for all you do for newbies, especially here: Transition to vape? | E-Cigarette Forum . It really says alot for this community, tons of responses and Ive only read through one page so far!

So, Ive almost made it through day two of vaping (Spinner II starter kit with Black Label 18mg Kentucky Raw juice) with only smoking 4 analogs total. Normally a 1.5-2 PAD. Of course, my PV has been attached to me since I bought it, Ive used it alot so far. I smoked 3 analogs day one, and only 1 today, about 3 hours after I woke up...Which is a huge victory in itself! I havent really had a strong urge to smoke an analog, but I will prob smoke one before bed tonight because thats what I have done for the last 15 years.

My question to yall that have been through this (I searched and couldnt find anything really) is...Is there anything that I should worry about after the "high" of discovering vaping goes away? Im really into it right now, but worry that it might wear off and analogs will prevail. Has anyone had a similar experience of switching to vape for the first time, getting super excited, and then reverted back to tobacco? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for any responses, hopefully this "high" will last and look forward to being in this community for some time to come!

If this post should be in "ask the vets" I apologize.

*edit - After reading a bit more, the link i posted above pretty much sums it all up. So inspiring

Last edited:

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
For me, whenever the thought of picking up a cigarette would cross my mind, I simply started vaping. After a minute or so, the thought passes. What also helps is to have different flavor juices available. Currently I have 5 different mods with 5 different tanks, all loaded with different flavor juices. Throughout the day I just switch off from one flavor to another. And from time to time I will stop by the B&M to try out some different juices. I may pick up a bottle, or I may not. I've also purchased some sample packs of different flavor juices online and I'm going through that.

Reactions: erocdrummer

kr8mods

May 12, 2015
Hey bud welcome to the vaping world, and congrats on your victory! Ive been vaping for almost 10 months and input analogs down oj about 5 mins after i started vaping lol. For me my biggest fear was if i ran out of juice what was i going to do i figured id want to smoke. I ran out of juice 3 times so far its rough but i never really got the urge to smoke. I was a pack to pack and a half a day smoker for 8 or so years. Now as far as the awesomeness of vaping waring off ive never truly experienced that because after my first week vaping i got into rebuildables. There is a vast world rda, mech mods, rta, and now realy good clearomizers. Its really something imho youll have to find out for yourself. Good luck my friend have faith your doing great so far!

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
hi erocdrummer. I'm 4 months smoke free and even though the newness has worn off some, the change in quality of life is so great I'll never go back to cigs. I started reducing the nicotine level after 1 month of vape so I never have to worry about "that craving" should I desire to stop vaping. Everyone is different. That being said I still really really enjoy my vape, and will probably continue to vape after I reach zero nicotine. Part of that is because the 30 years of hand to mouth, or just having something in the hands is a habit tough to break also. Another reason is that the vape is continuing to get better from the day I started. I was literally in shock for two weeks after my last cig about how easy it was. You'll get there.

kr8mods

May 12, 2015
Even though we cant say vaping is a quit smoking aid even though to vapers its the only thing that has worked, imho all other quit aids are ineffective. I took chantix and quit smoking for over a year, i found w that your traing 7000 chemicals for a few that give me suacidal thoughts. To me big tobacco companies want that all mighty dollar. Less we give them the better. Where can you get an unlimated supply of endless flavors? Deff not from tobacco unless your at a hookah bar lol. But vaping the possibilities are endless.

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
Interesting question; I've never given it much thought. Looking back I realize in the beginning I vaped a LOT. In fact, ECF threads at that time consisted of questions concerning "do I vape too much" and "what filler material do I use".

Cigarettes are self-timed so to speak. You know exactly when to stop. When there's nothing more to burn, you're done. Vaping doesn't have such an indicator, so during the "novelty stage" it seems like you vape all the time.

I think eventually you settle into a natural pattern of vaping. You settle in, so to speak. The urgency to vape is not as great. You vape because you WANT to, not so much because you NEED to.

Due to this, you might find over time that you won't have ANYTHING to worry about as both the urge to smoke OR vape has greatly diminished.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I think eventually you settle into a natural pattern of vaping. You settle in, so to speak. The urgency to vape is not as great. You vape because you WANT to, not so much because you NEED to.

Every time I "upgraded" my equipment (and also subsequently lowering my nicotine levels), I found myself consuming way more juice. Part of it from vaping more and part of it from the fact that the more powerful gear was using naturally vaporizing more juice. When I was using blu Plus at the beginning, I was going through 2 tanks a day. They supposedly held 0.9 ml of juice. When I upgraded to the Halo Triton, I vaped 24 mg juice and went through roughly 3 ml a day. When I upgraded to the Nautilus on a box mod, I went through about 4 ml a day, but I lowered my nicotine levels to 15 mg. When I started subohming and using a combination of the Atlantis and Subtanks, I lowered my nicotine levels to 6 mg, but I was going through between 7-8 ml a day. A little under two months since my last "upgrade", my juice usage has leveled off at about 5 ml a day.

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
Congrats on your progress so far. I did not have a relapse but I did hold on to a couple smokes a day for a long time. What got me was having a 10 min break at work and not trusting my set up to get me enough nicotine. This was over a year ago and since then I now know and trust my equipment, for me that confidence makes all the difference. Some people are addicted to new vape gear. It's easy to do! But every new purchase will excite you all over again, finding a new liquid that's really good is, imo, even more exciting. So to move on from rambling I do not think when the "hype" wears off you need to worry about a relapse. Be more mindful of equipment malfunctions. A flooded tank will drive you nuts if you only have one till you can troubleshoot it easily. Learning the ins and outs of your setup is your best weapon against smoking now. Welcome!

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Many of us find we vape more than we smoked, some of it as another said is they are not self timing like cigs are, and some of it is that the nic isn't absorbed in the same manner, and some of it is we just enjoy the flavors and the act. As to the newness wearing off, it can take a long time as there are always new juices to try and some get a bad case of shinyitis so they are always buying the latest and greatest to come out.

rwnielsen

Test Pilot
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2010
Long Beach CA
All I can say is stick with it. Get yourself some strong juice to start with and don't worry about overdoing it. I started with 36mg juice and vaped until I was dizzy. I had no interest in smoking at that point. Gradually you'll taper off some but if you stick with it you'll no longer want to smoke.
Best of luck to you
Richrd

It was a tough first week for me when I switched in December. After I had my last analog & made up my mind to stick with it & see how it goes, I started feeling better about the process & made changes to my vaping habits so I wouldn't have the urge for an analog. I started out similar to you (went with an MVP 2.0 & Nautilus tank), then picked up an Evod & Emow tank for ease of carrying. Then I tried the Atlantis & changed to lung hits. The nice thing about vaping is it is quite easy to try something new & different darn near monthly. At first your vape budget may be crazy, but once you settle into it you will figure out your preferred juice & pricing & start saving money. I am down to only purchasing juice once a month, actually once every month & a half. A local shop has buy 2 get 1 free every Tuesday so I go in & pick up 3x120ml bottles of a local juice for $70. That actually lasts me well over a month. Better than the $70 I was spending weekly for sure! Good luck! It will only work for you if you want it to work, that's what I tell everyone.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
...Is there anything that I should worry about after the "high" of discovering vaping goes away?
Only that vaping often also becomes a hobby where you are inclined to become a collector of vape gear. G.A.S. -- gear acquisition syndrome. (also known as "shinyitis".) This is an ever-changing technology with new products coming on the market practically every month or so. The strong temptation is to forever chase the "perfect vape".

Myself, after three years of vaping, I found my so-called perfect vape about a year ago. My two advanced personal vaporizers share time with each other:

Patriot rebuildable drip atomizer on a Silver Bullet mechanical mod

Kayfun Lite Plus rebuildable tank atomizer on a Provari regulated mod
I'm always on the lookout for new flavors that I might like, but I know of at least a dozen familiar flavors which I try to keep on hand. I like variety and change flavors according to my mood. The search for the "all day vape" does not apply in my case.

Have a look in my Baditude's Blogs

Last edited:

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Congrats and best wishes. Welcome to ECF and the Vaping Journey.

:)

...Is there anything that I should worry about after the "high" of discovering vaping goes away?

It sounds like you are off to a fantastic start. My opinions:

- Take it a day at a time and just enjoy vaping. Try not to fill your head with what might happen.
- Drink lots and lots of water. Stay hydrated.
- Try other juices. Think "desert" of your choice. Variety is the spice of life and mitigates "burn out" on a given flavor.
- IMHO, its normal to vape like crazy in the beginning. Your not sure if it works. It takes longer for NIC to enter and effect your body when you vape. Smoking is around 7 seconds. Vaping is anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute. This is a simplification so I don't bore you with all the details. :)
- Eventually and that means within maybe a month you will find your "sweet spot" and wont need to vape as much as you are probably doing as I type this. /lol
- Listen to your body. More great things are about to happen to YOU. :) Your sense of smell and taste will return. Might take a few months but it's going to happen. I vividly remember the first time I could smell freshly cut grass about two years ago. It was epic and kinda shocked me. I don't think I will ever forget that moment and at my age that's HUGE :) It's all good.
- Your taste buds are in recovery mode. That's normal and expected. The juice you vape today may not be what you like one year down the road. That's also normal and nothing to be concerned with. Lots of juice options. Also, your "buds" change during the day so a given juice might blow your socks off with it's flavor in the AM but after dinner it may taste different. Enter your other juices and since most like a desert that's a good place to start.
- Never hesitate to ask a question. NEVER. I frequent our vets Forum and never ever tire of the same question or similar questions. Most vets think the same way. Lots of details and your question. It's cathartic for me. Pay back.

Good luck
:)

EDITED for clarity

Last edited:

erocdrummer

May 28, 2015
Just wanted to update and THANK everyone who has took the time to post in my thread! So I did smoke an analog before bed last night, made it through about half of it before I put it out, moved the ashtray out of the room, and went back to my Spinner II. The analog didn't taste gross or anything, just seemed pointless... if that makes sense.

My biggest worries about the transition have been smoking within 15 minutes of waking up, and while driving. Yesterday (day 2 of not smoking regs) I smoked one cig. That one was about 3 hours after waking up, and not while driving even though I had my analogs sitting next to me. Today, I drove to the store to pick up a new flavor of juice and didn't even take my analogs. Since I had my PV riding shotgun, I didn't even think about the analogs. Being in SE Texas (I.E. HOT) its so nice to not have to run my AC with the windows down while I puff. So nice!

So, day 3 (today)...I'm very proud to say I have not smoked ONE regular cig today. The ashtray and two packs of marlboros are in my garage. Every time I walk by them, I give them a quick middle finger haha. Still puffing on my PV like a maniac, with two tanks filled with two diff flavors, but Ive already saved $25-30 from analogs. Not bad, and I'm sure my starter kit cost will quickly pay for itself.

Three days since starting vape: Three cigs day one, one cig day two, NONE today (so far). Hope this continues! Again, THANK YOU everyone who commented on my post, or anyone elses post for that matter that is in a similar situation as me. This community is amazing. I'm sure most of you have been there before and heard this before, but it really has helped over the last few days to just take a "cigarette break" and read through the positive posts and success stories here while I puff on my new healthy alternative.

erocdrummer

May 28, 2015
The most dangerous thing about vaping is that you may, like many of us, find yourself addicted to continually looking at, wanting, and even buying nifty new vape gear. Hard to spend as much as cigs cost, but it CAN be done!

Yea my days so far have definitely revolved around vaping. I even went out today and bought a shiny new tank, upgraded from the Aspire K1 to a Nautilus Mini. Now I have 3 tanks that I can keep filled with different flavors!

I started vaping 4 days ago, and now its been almost 48 hours since an analog. Strange thing is, I'm completely ok with that. Haven't really thought about trying one...yet. I started vaping completely planning on dual use for a little while, but my love for cigs faded quickly, almost TOO quickly. It just doesn't feel like it should be this easy, and that I'm gonna wake up sometime soon with an incredible urge to smoke an analog. Have any of you that quit analogs had no problem switching for the first little while (like me), then got blindsided with an urge to go back?

I know it's different for everyone, just helps me bragging about my progress and reading similar stories :)

Last edited:

tvapernow

May 25, 2015
Yea my days so far have definitely revolved around vaping. I even went out today and bought a shiny new tank, upgraded from the Aspire K1 to a Nautilus Mini. Now I have 3 tanks that I can keep filled with different flavors!

I started vaping 4 days ago, and now its been almost 48 hours since an analog. Strange thing is, I'm completely ok with that. Haven't really thought about trying one...yet. I started vaping completely planning on dual use for a little while, but my love for cigs faded quickly, almost TOO quickly. It just doesn't feel like it should be this easy, and that I'm gonna wake up sometime soon with an incredible urge to smoke an analog. Have any of you that quit analogs had no problem switching for the first little while (like me), then got blindsided with an urge to go back?

I know it's different for everyone, just helps me bragging about my progress and reading similar stories :)

I'm another one that when I started vaping the switch from analog was scarely easy. Virtually no urge for an analog once I was vaping for a couple of days. In my opinion, the most important thing for a lot of people is not to start on the virtually useless cigalikes. I believe most people need to start at a higher nicotine level and more vapor then those pieces of junk can supply. Any decent tank with the battery large enough to do the job like The spinner II's and up, combined with a liquid between 18 and 24 mg producing enough vapor to satisfy you is the biggest trick to quitting. If you start on the 24 and get a headache it's too much, drop to the 18 immediately. Do a search on the site for vaping to quit smoking before you start, or others will also be jumping here with links. This site is fantastic for people willing to jump in and help anybody who's trying vape to quit smoking:)

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
yeah - i can completely understand that, lol

quit smoking cigs about 15 years ago... started smoking cigars - casually (or so I told m'self) - about 5 years ago... recently found myself smoking 2-3 cigars a day... made the jump to vaping and maybe smoke 1 cigar a week a now, and that *is* casual, imo... really enjoying vaping not just as an alternative to the cigars, but as a burgeoning hobby - WAY too much shiny stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread