That moment you realise you're an idiot !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
laughing a lot with this thread.. it's taken off into funny..

Anyhoo.. dear OP, Mr. QC,

There is no right nor wrong way to inhale.. there is only your way (how you enjoy inhaling) and other people's way. You do what is comfortable, and that is the "right" way.

You said something. First your on a lazy vacation. Second, you've not been vaping long. This leaves me with this conclusion.

Your lack of exercise is causing you to have a small build up of fluid in your lungs. The more your are in an upright position, and the more you exercise the easier it is for your lungs to work properly concerning the cilia and all. (This is why bedridden people are more likely to develop pneumonia)

Having recently quit smoking, you need more exercise to help clear your lungs out in general, because as your lungs heal from the years of smoking, the more crud your lungs begin to expel.. but if your not exercising then the crud that your lungs are working to expel cannot evacuate your lungs..

Therefore, after your up, around and doing more, the pain your experiencing will go away. Should take anywhere from 1-3 days.

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
LOL

Ya, I hate when they break and it seems they all do after a while.

Hold up on the surgery though :thumb:

:)
I may have to swallow my distaste for SlowTech and order their 10-pack of switch magnets. That should last the rest of the year. Or whichever year they actually get here.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
laughing a lot with this thread.. it's taken off into funny..

Anyhoo.. dear OP, Mr. QC,

There is no right nor wrong way to inhale.. there is only your way (how you enjoy inhaling) and other people's way. You do what is comfortable, and that is the "right" way.

You said something. First your on a lazy vacation. Second, you've not been vaping long. This leaves me with this conclusion.

Your lack of exercise is causing you to have a small build up of fluid in your lungs. The more your are in an upright position, and the more you exercise the easier it is for your lungs to work properly concerning the cilia and all. (This is why bedridden people are more likely to develop pneumonia)

Having recently quit smoking, you need more exercise to help clear your lungs out in general, because as your lungs heal from the years of smoking, the more crud your lungs begin to expel.. but if your not exercising then the crud that your lungs are working to expel cannot evacuate your lungs..

Therefore, after your up, around and doing more, the pain your experiencing will go away. Should take anywhere from 1-3 days.
I've noticed about the thread too :p but hell having a laugh with the community is fun from time to time even if it's not all about vaping. Should also add that i do stretch every morning and do kinda excercise a bit as to stay in shape (push ups sit ups and stuff of the sort). As a patient with type 1 diabetes i can't really be totally lazy no matter how bad i'd want to :p It's just that this year i'm taking a much more laidback vacation and decided to take advantage of this to stop smoking. The build up could be a thing though but i seriously doubt it,since i barely cough at all since i switched. Thanks you for the concern and answers though that does make much more sense :)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Got me curious now. Do you have any other info on this?

No, sorry.
I only know what my doctor explained to me, when a CAT scan showed 2 very tiny spots on my right lung. (Think he was trying to calm me down & not think the worst.) 2 follow-up scans at 6 month intervals showed no change, growth, movement, etc. of the 2 spots. Radiologist then also stated they were most likely sawdust or tiny shavings particles, or grass seed inhaled while pasture mowing, or tiny bugs I'd inhaled sometime in the past that were now calcified.

Last edited:

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
This is my second go around with vaping - the lung pain happened the first time and it's happening again right now. It feels like a sharp pain when I inhale deeply. I think it's just muscles getting stretched out that were previously not. When I was smoking cigs I was not doing hundreds of massive inhales a day. It's probably actually good for you - I remember my grandfather doing these "lung exercises" when I was a kid - he would breath in as deeply as possible and blow into a tube connected to a test-tube looking thing that had a little ball in it - he would blow the ball as high up the tube as he could and note where it stopped.

Anyway - it will go away in a week or 2. Last time it got so bad I had to tone down my vaping before it eventually went away but it did. Good luck!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I've noticed about the thread too :p but hell having a laugh with the community is fun from time to time even if it's not all about vaping. Should also add that i do stretch every morning and do kinda excercise a bit as to stay in shape (push ups sit ups and stuff of the sort). As a patient with type 1 diabetes i can't really be totally lazy no matter how bad i'd want to :p It's just that this year i'm taking a much more laidback vacation and decided to take advantage of this to stop smoking. The build up could be a thing though but i seriously doubt it,since i barely cough at all since i switched. Thanks you for the concern and answers though that does make much more sense :)

Here's the thing, what I find worrisome IS the fact your not coughing since making the switch.

I coughed like I had pneumonia for the first two weeks after switching, (literally to the point of throwing up) but I got SO much stuff out of my lungs. I spent months afterwords coughing stuff up, nasty brown stuff before it finally calmed down.

Of course, your body is different to mine and likely I smoked much longer than you and had more damage to my lungs as a whole, but you should cough some, after quitting. If your not coughing stuff out, then whatever was in your lungs from smoking is still there..

This IS only my opinion, but if the pain does persist over a period of time, I would speak to your doctor. An x Ray might not be out of the question here..

I enjoy laughing too, often, it's what keeps me coming back! :)

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Here's the thing, what I find worrisome IS the fact your not coughing since making the switch.

I coughed like I had pneumonia for the first two weeks after switching, (literally to the point of throwing up) but I got SO much stuff out of my lungs. I spent months afterwords coughing stuff up, nasty brown stuff before it finally calmed down.

Of course, your body is different to mine and likely I smoked much longer than you and had more damage to my lungs as a whole, but you should cough some, after quitting. If your not coughing stuff out, then whatever was in your lungs from smoking is still there..

This IS only my opinion, but if the pain does persist over a period of time, I would speak to your doctor. An x Ray might not be out of the question here..

I enjoy laughing too, often, it's what keeps me coming back! :)
No worries like i said previously if this persist i won't hesitate and get to Er but for now i feel completely fine. Sure it's annoying but usually it goes away after couple days so to be continued on that one :p
Though i've never coughed anything (specially brown stuff 0.0) i only smoked for about 10 or so years and i've always been relatively active,could be normal for all we know ? I do tend to choke sometimes though and specially in the morning so it does happen but never coughed anything brown.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
No worries like i said previously if this persist i won't hesitate and get to Er but for now i feel completely fine. Sure it's annoying but usually it goes away after couple days so to be continued on that one :p
Though i've never coughed anything (specially brown stuff 0.0) i only smoked for about 10 or so years and i've always been relatively active,could be normal for all we know ? I do tend to choke sometimes though and specially in the morning so it does happen but never coughed anything brown.

I smoked over 30 years.. so there is that difference.

Just keep an eye.. and take care of you. :)

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

I guess mine is still there. After smoking 1 1/2-2 packs a day for over 45 years and now vaping for almost 6 years I still haven't had to cough up anything. In fact my morning cough went away after just a couple of days of no smoke going in and never came back.

Just goes to show that we are all different. I just wanted to let folks know that not everyone will have to cough up stuff.

I do agree with this :thumbs:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I guess mine is still there. After smoking 1 1/2-2 packs a day for over 45 years and now vaping for almost 6 years I still haven't had to cough up anything. In fact my morning cough went away after just a couple of days of no smoke going in and never came back.

Just goes to show that we are all different. I just wanted to let folks know that not everyone will have to cough up stuff.

So far every one I know in person who quit has coughed, (that I was close enough to to talk about this type of thing with) so I just assumed it's normal to get it out.. but yeah, if you never coughed stuff out after smoking that long then maybe just some people do!

Last edited:

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I smoked over 30 years.. so there is that difference.

Just keep an eye.. and take care of you. :)
What's interesting is that I smoked for 5 years 1 pack of Marlboro reds a day. Started when I was 17-18 until I was 23. I've been vaping for the last 3 years. When I quit cold turkey I was coughing up that thick almost brown stuff almost immediately after I quit and lasted a couple weeks. I think that it's a healthy reaction of the body to "self clean".

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016

I smoked heavily for about 36 years,never coughed much when i smoked and never coughed when i quit or coughed anything up. Been smoke free for 16 months now and no coughing.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
What's interesting is that I smoked for 5 years 1 pack of Marlboro reds a day. Started when I was 17-18 until I was 23. I've been vaping for the last 3 years. When I quit cold turkey I was coughing up that thick almost brown stuff almost immediately after I quit and lasted a couple weeks. I think that it's a healthy reaction of the body to "self clean".

I agree. I was worried at first, when I first started vaping and was coughing like that, but the doctor said it was normal.

I could breathe so much better at the end of it.. I couldn't even remember being able to breathe that well as I smoked most my life.

When I quit vaping (a 5 month period last year) I started coughing again, and again I went to the doctor and asked about it. (Its always worrisome when you cough up funky stuff.. lol) Again I was told this was normal, and that I might conceivably cough for a couple few years before my lungs are actually clear..

This time, when I picked up vaping again though I didn't cough, it actually stopped my cough, (the one that started up again when I quit vaping) so I think there is a certain amount of healing when you switch to vaping, and more healing when you quit vaping..

But.. that's just my assessment of it. Doctor said coughing was normal with quitting smoking. My husband coughs with the switch, and my son to a much lesser degree. My SIL did as bad as I did.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@mattiem - I didn't hock up a bunch of stuff either...after 1 - 1/2 PAD for 42 years! How much "gunk" has built up in your lungs does have something to do with what kind of ciggies you smoked (different amounts of tar in them), how deeply you inhaled, how much exercise you got while smoking that helped your lungs stay in better condition anyway, etc. Also my doctor said the fewer lung related illnesses you had (pneumonia, the flu, bronchitis, etc.) during your smoking years...the better their ability would be to improve once you quit smoking. I only had the flu 2 times my whole life, and never had the other 2.

So, you're not alone in no "gunk" being coughed up when quitting the smokes.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
@mattiem - I didn't hock up a bunch of stuff either...after 1 - 1/2 PAD for 42 years! How much "gunk" has built up in your lungs does have something to do with what kind of ciggies you smoked (different amounts of tar in them), how deeply you inhaled, how much exercise you got while smoking that helped your lungs stay in better condition anyway, etc. Also my doctor said the fewer lung related illnesses you had (pneumonia, the flu, bronchitis, etc.) during your smoking years...the better their ability would be to improve once you quit smoking. I only had the flu 2 times my whole life, and never had the other 2.

So, you're not alone in no "gunk" being coughed up when quitting the smokes.

I'm not sure the type of cigarettes matter so much, my SIL coughed just as bad as I did, and I smoked full flavor reds (2 pad) and she smoked light lights that you could hardly get any smoke out of..(1 pad)

And exercise may not have much to do with it because I've been crippled for the last 18 years, and she is healthy and never stops going, very very very healthy and energetic.

What MIGHT have more to do with it is lung related illnesses caused by smoking.. that is something we all have in common. Her and I both had lots of those.. pneumonia, bronchitis, chest colds etc..

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
To be quite honest i attribute my lack of "brown stuff" with the fact i'm diabetic, why ? Simply because i heal slower than most (for one took me over 6 month and ergotherapy+physiotherapy for a sprained anckle so i can't imagine how long will my lung take to actually even get better. Still after 3 months i did noticed an improvement in breathing smelling and tasting. Imho it's probably a matter of time before i either cough something up or just get better lung wise. The only thing that's most likely stopping the "recovery" is the fact i still smoke..... Green stuff ? (not really a way of saying it without my post being removed,but if an admin wants to i'll gladly edit it instead)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
To be quite honest i attribute my lack of "brown stuff" with the fact i'm diabetic, why ? Simply because i heal slower than most (for one took me over 6 month and ergotherapy+physiotherapy for a sprained anckle so i can't imagine how long will my lung take to actually even get better. Still after 3 months i did noticed an improvement in breathing smelling and tasting. Imho it's probably a matter of time before i either cough something up or just get better lung wise. The only thing that's most likely stopping the "recovery" is the fact i still smoke..... Green stuff ? (not really a way of saying it without my post being removed,but if an admin wants to i'll gladly edit it instead)

Even with diabetes I'd say your probably just going to improve without the cough.. the above posters did, so your probably in that category, even with you still smoking..that.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'm not sure the type of cigarettes matter so much, my SIL coughed just as bad as I did, and I smoked full flavor reds (2 pad) and she smoked light lights that you could hardly get any smoke out of.. lol..

By what "kind"of ciggy makes a difference, I didn't mean just whether it was full flavor, lights, ultra lights, etc. I meant the brand, too. I remember years ago when ciggy packs had the mg of tar and nicotine on the outside of the pack. You could easily compare the tar and nicotine content in them...from one brand to another, as well as among the different types (ie. full flavor, etc.).

I always smoked the brand and type that had the least amount of tar. That's why I mentioned the "kind" would make a difference, because of the tar variances.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
By what "kind"of ciggy makes a difference, I didn't mean just whether it was full flavor, lights, ultra lights, etc. I meant the brand, too. I remember years ago when ciggy packs had the mg of tar and nicotine on the outside of the pack. You could easily compare the tar and nicotine content in them...from one brand to another, as well as among the different types (ie. full flavor, etc.).

I always smoked the brand and type that had the least amount of tar. That's why I mentioned the "kind" would make a difference, because of the tar variances.

Aren't those ultra lights supposed to have less tar? They used to be low tar, but then cigarette makers stopped being able to say low tar..

Her cigarettes were as low tar as mine were high, I bummed from her once, and that thing wasn't even a cigarette! In the world of cigarettes, I'd say hers were the exact opposite of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread