That moment you realise you're an idiot !

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Aren't those ultra lights supposed to have less tar? They used to be low tar, but then cigarette makers stopped being able to say low tar..

Her cigarettes were as low tar as mine were high, I bummed from her once, and that thing wasn't even a cigarette! In the world of cigarettes, I'd say hers were the exact opposite of mine.

Yep, that's why I always smoked ultra-lights! But, I got just as much smoke from mine...as my brother got from his full flavor red/white pack Winston's!

About your SIL being an ultra light smoker and still coughing her head off when quitting - You said you both had lots of lung related illnesses. Whether she smoked ultra lights or full flavored...her lungs were being made weaker each time she had 1 of those illnesses. So she may have been very energetic and very very very healthy otherwise, but her lungs weren't.

I know that when I was diagnosed with mild beginning stage of COPD years ago (mine was emphysema)...no one who knows me could believe it! I was the Energizer Bunny's twin, as far as energy! I never got tired doing anything (even strenuous stuff), never got out of breath, very very rarely was ever sick with anything (even colds), didn't have a smoker's cough, etc. They couldn't understand, and neither could I, how I could have mild COPD and it didn't physically affect me at all...outwardly.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Yep, that's why I always smoked ultra-lights! But, I got just as much smoke from mine...as my brother got from his full flavor red/white pack Winston's!

About your SIL being an ultra light smoker and still coughing her head off when quitting - You said you both had lots of lung related illnesses. Whether she smoked ultra lights or full flavored...her lungs were being made weaker each time she had 1 of those illnesses. So she may have been very energetic and very very very healthy otherwise, but her lungs weren't.

I know that when I was diagnosed with mild beginning stage of COPD years ago...no one who knows me could believe it! I was the Energizer Bunny's twin, as far as energy! I never got tired doing anything (even strenuous stuff), never got out of breath, very very rarely was ever sick with anything (even colds), didn't have a smoker's cough, etc. They couldn't understand, and neither could I, how I could have mild COPD and it didn't physically affect me at all...outwardly.

That's weird I admit! I was getting pneumonia every year the past four years I smoked. I had bronchitis at least once or twice a year and smokers cough as all get out. Coughed for the first hour every single day. My breathing was so bad by the time I quit smoking that I couldn't make it to the mailbox without rest breaks..

What I didn't have, were any serious illnesses. My doctors wanted me quit so I didn't develop emphysema or COPD or cancer or something, but I never did develop anything serious. (Pneumonia aside.. lol)

Quitting 100 percent solved all my problems and then some.. (might still get cancer though.. jury is still out on that, will be for years to come I suppose)

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
By what "kind"of ciggy makes a difference, I didn't mean just whether it was full flavor, lights, ultra lights, etc. I meant the brand, too. I remember years ago when ciggy packs had the mg of tar and nicotine on the outside of the pack. You could easily compare the tar and nicotine content in them...from one brand to another, as well as among the different types (ie. full flavor, etc.).

I always smoked the brand and type that had the least amount of tar. That's why I mentioned the "kind" would make a difference, because of the tar variances.
God i remember these days i still wonder today why they removed the contents ...... that thing could've more easily tell me what mg of nicotine i would've need but hell too late n
That's weird I admit! I was getting pneumonia every year the past four years I smoked. I had bronchitis at least once or twice a year and smokers cough as all get out. Coughed for the first hour every single day. My breathing was so bad by the time I quit smoking that I couldn't make it to the mailbox without rest breaks..

What I didn't have, were any serious illnesses. My doctors wanted me quit so I didn't develop emphysema or COPD or cancer or something, but I never did develop anything serious. (Pneumonia aside.. lol)

Quitting 100 percent solved all my problems and then some.. (might still get cancer though.. jury is still out on that, will be for years to come I suppose)

Well to be honest i think 95% of people on this forum quitted for similar reasons. We're still all at risk of cancer one way or another, what i tell everyone is live your life to the fullest no matter what happens you'll only regret it otherwise :p

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
God i remember these days i still wonder today why they removed the contents ...... that thing could've more easily tell me what mg of nicotine i would've need but hell too late now.

Here in the US...the tar and nic mg content just all of a sudden disappeared from the packs. I don't remember it being a government mandate or anything though when it stopped being on them. I do remember like Opinionated stated...them making the companies quit calling some low tar, the lowest tar, etc. though.

As far as being able to tell what nic you need now, when you vape -

My badly declining energy level and increasing weight, when I went from smoking to 100% vaping only, both told me I wasn't getting what I was while smoking. Since I've raised my nic from 6mg (what it was for 3+ years of vaping) to 7mg since this last January...I've lost 11 pounds and have my energy level at almost 100% of what it was for more than 40 years.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Aren't those ultra lights supposed to have less tar? They used to be low tar, but then cigarette makers stopped being able to say low tar..

Her cigarettes were as low tar as mine were high, I bummed from her once, and that thing wasn't even a cigarette! In the world of cigarettes, I'd say hers were the exact opposite of mine.

I know that when I was diagnosed with mild beginning stage of COPD years ago (mine was emphysema)...no one who knows me could believe it! I was the Energizer Bunny's twin, as far as energy! I never got tired doing anything (even strenuous stuff), never got out of breath, very very rarely was ever sick with anything (even colds), didn't have a smoker's cough, etc. They couldn't understand, and neither could I, how I could have mild COPD and it didn't physically affect me at all...outwardly.

umm, For me it was a different story.... I smoked pall malls, starting with unfiltered @ around 10-12 yrs old and went to the blue pack soon after and most of the time I smoked. My health was starting to get bad so back when they were still advertising the low tar,etc. I went with the orange pack Pall Mall which were suppose to be ultra light. It was like sucking air through a straw, so naturally, I smoked more. Got some of those plastic filters that draw out the tar and compared with reg full flavor.....Same amount of Tar. Then they added that stuff on the wrappers to make them less likely to start fires so when you put your smoke down in an ashtray it always went out. Gawd that stuff was nasty.
As far as my health, I would get bronchitis once or twice a year every year for the last 5 years I smoked. Have not had it since I started vaping. In fact, I have only had 1 cold in the last 7 years and that only lasted a couple of days.

Just my 2 pennies.

:)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
QcVapor, when's the last time you had a chest x-ray? Sudden sharp pain in your lung isn't normal. I know you may have had it smoking on occasion, but that kind of pain (unless it lasts for 3 minutes or something, OR I pull a muscle in my ribs somewhere.... Which actually might be plausible in your situation.... If you are doing deeper DL hits and stretching out your ribcage, come to think) isn't something to just ignore. I have some small scarring on my left lobe from pneumonia, and after I went back to my doc all happy about switching, the FIRST thing he asked me to do (if I continued vaping, and didn't catch pneumonia *again*) was to get a chest X-ray from not only the same PLACE but using the same X-ray *machine* to check on if my scar was a scar, not a growth.

It wasn't very cheery, and he was otherwise congratulatory, but my doctor is an optimist who thinks like a pessimist. I should be doing that X-ray early next week. That's the kind of caution I *like* in my docs, though. I mean, I'd hate to start vaping and then develop Stage whatever lung cancer on top of it. So, I'd consider a medical visit, if you haven't. I sometimes get cavalier about some health stuff, but lung health, I do not.

As far as coughing up tar, I either coughed so much of it out during Pneumonia eighteen months that when I switched, nothing came out of me. I coughed starting out, slightly more, but I was not expelling the huge black chunks of tar that I expected given my smoking habits and length of time smoking. That said, I did enough coughing DURING pneumonias that it may have been that, and the fact that I was on a pretty darn shallow cigarette inhale by the end, there wasn't much else I could do. My lungs were shot and my ribs hurt from coughing.

The only time I cough now is when I use too much nic in a DL device :) Which I don't do anymore, so it's kind of a moot point. I've had the odd five minute coughing fit here and there, but nothing to write home about.

I was quite surprised! :)

Anna

Reactions: Opinionated

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
@beckdg and @stols001 Thank you for worrying about me :p But it's already been a couple days and that "pain" is gone i managed to finally get a good night of sleep and haven't had any pains since last night. Again not my first rodeo with that kind of annoyance and even though i called it pain i wasen't really in any suffering. Like i mentionned previously if it gets bad enough, i won't take any chances but of course i'm not paranoid enough to go to the Er when there's no emergency (also should add that waiting 12 hours for a scan dosen't interest me in the slightest,specially since there's no emergency.)

Thanks again for the advice though :)

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
@beckdg and @stols001 Thank you for worrying about me [emoji14] But it's already been a couple days and that "pain" is gone i managed to finally get a good night of sleep and haven't had any pains since last night. Again not my first rodeo with that kind of annoyance and even though i called it pain i wasen't really in any suffering. Like i mentionned previously if it gets bad enough, i won't take any chances but of course i'm not paranoid enough to go to the Er when there's no emergency (also should add that waiting 12 hours for a scan dosen't interest me in the slightest,specially since there's no emergency.)

Thanks again for the advice though :)
Last time I had a "pain" that went away and I couldn't explain, a few years later I passed (with help of 2 surgical procedures) a massive kidney stone and was told nearly a third of the cavity in my left kidney was a solid stone.

I was lucky, really. Could have been much worse.

Now I know that pain is the massive rock poking inside my kidney and that it likely will pass shortly.

At least it's not the big C.

Guns don't kill people, virgins do! -Jim Jeffries

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Last time I had a "pain" that went away and I couldn't explain, a few years later I passed (with help of 2 surgical procedures) a massive kidney stone and was told nearly a third of the cavity in my left kidney was a solid stone.

Now I know that pain is the massive rock poking inside my kidney and that it likely will pass shortly.

I've knowned people with kidney stones and that's far from being it. Usually these people suffer crazy from it, i know it's from my lung so i'm mostly guessing it's due to the fact i haven't coughed any brown stuff or i'm actually swallowing it. Pretty much non existant now anyway and i still feel 100x better then back when i smoked :p if it wasen't a stormy night i'd actually be taking a walk or a skate ride atm (it's basically 10pm here also,but i'm a night owl)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

All I can say to that is dang... your tough!

My dad was like that with pain. Don't know how long he'd been in pain but he passed out of work finally because the pain was so bad.. his was the big C though, he died within 6 months..

Some people can handle mass amounts of pain I guess. Best I got on pain tolerance is when I was in labor with my son, I didn't know I was in labor because it didn't really hurt. (I saw videos of women screaming and hollering in pain so I was clueless when it was little more than light menstrual cramps) so dummy me refused to go to the hospital even though everyone was telling me I was in labor and should probably get there soon.. lol .

Lesson learned.. I knew what labor felt like for my daughter's birth, so I made it to the hospital much earlier, and without people calling my mother and making her come get me against my will. Hahaha

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I've knowned people with kidney stones and that's far from being it. Usually these people suffer crazy from it,

Been passing stones 20 years since then.

Last year 2 got lodged in my ureter.

Pain was so bad my body went into shock.

But again, at least I know what the pain is and it's not likely fatal.

Don't want to be a nudge so good luck.

All I can say to that is dang... your tough!

My dad was like that with pain. Don't know how long he'd been in pain but he passed out of work finally because the pain was so bad.. his was the big C though, he died within 6 months..

Some people can handle mass amounts of pain I guess.

I think every one can if they have to.

Sorry about your dad.

ETA: They say my kidney stones are the only pain a man can go through to understand the pain of labor.

For all intents and purposes, I've given birth twice.

My response to the words "you're pregnant" would definitely be abortion or suicide.

Female is definitely the stronger sex by far.

Last edited:

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I learned that if my Torticollis is hurting more than normal I can slam my pinky toe into the door jam or hit my thumb with a hammer, then my neck pain doesn't seem as bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hey. I learned a new word! I had a pretty bad one from dozing off in my chair at the computer. Lasted for weeks, finally went away. My son laughed at me because, in this heat, I'd slap some Icy Hot on that sweaty neck and burn the crap out of myself with it - enough to take my mind off of the continual neck pain anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread