• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

The best tube mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
All of my tube mods are mechanical. Not regulated. The problem with tube like regulated mods is their gawdly light-sabre like size. Not something you will take out of the house. The Sigelei 30 Watt is no exception. And as far as I understand some issues with batteries. If I were you I'd spend the extra $5 and go for the Sigelei 100W + (Yihi SX 330 v2 chip) on FT. Dual 18650 batteries gives you long battery life. Solid device. Best APV for the money in my opinion. But again not something you will probably want to take out of the house...but could if you wanted. That's why I like my IPV mini so much.

If your looking for a tube mod, I'd suggest a mechanical mod like the Chi You or Nemesis. Both are relatively cheap. Something you can take out of the house. But they are a whole different ball game and IMO a bit passe with the advent of high powered APVs.

Last edited:

Bad Teddy

Mar 16, 2014
US
When it comes to tube mods I think your options are pretty much the Innokin SVD 2.0 and the Provari P3 for "best" right now, although the wattage limit can leave a bit to be desired for some vapers. Personally I'd like to see a 30W SVD 3.0 this year, because 23-25 watts is around where I'd like to be with some of my sub-ohm coils, but other than that I love my SVD 2.0. I hear good things about the P3, but nothing about it justifies it being nearly triple the price in my book. Additionally, the SVD 2.0 will fire coils down to .5 ohms whereas the P3 will "only" fire down to .7 ohms.

With that said, if you don't hate box mods like I do, my research tells me there's really no reason to stick with tube mods for the moment unless you're talking mechanicals.

And I tote mine around with pride. Of course at 6'4, I'm huge anyway so it doesn't look awkward like it might otherwise look. Not to mention it never hurts to have an extra weapon handy if something goes down, so I enjoy having my 8.5" club around ;)

Billbonney

Apr 22, 2014
Phoenix ny
The only tube mod I have is a mech smok magneto. I have always used my mvp 2.0 and I love it to death.
However I am going to pick up an svd 2.0 because I wanted something with a little more power. It will be something completely new for me and I'm a little nervous about the size but after researching about the device a bit I think I will enjoy it..I hope I will enjoy it:confused:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
All of my tube mods are mechanical. Not regulated. The problem with tube like regulated mods is their gawdly light-sabre like size. Not something you will take out of the house. The Sigelei 30 Watt is no exception. And as far as I understand some issues with batteries. If I were you I'd spend the extra $5 and go for the Sigelei 100W + (Yihi SX 330 v2 chip) on FT. Dual 18650 batteries gives you long battery life. Solid device. Best APV for the money in my opinion. But again not something you will probably want to take out of the house...but could if you wanted. That's why I like my IPV mini so much.

If your looking for a tube mod, I'd suggest a mechanical mod like the Chi You or Nemesis. Both are relatively cheap. Something you can take out of the house. But they are a whole different ball game and IMO a bit passe with the advent of high powered APVs.

Hey! What's not to like about carrying a lightsaber around?

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Hey Waddle, I'm looking for a new VW mod and I think sigelei mini is pretty much everything I'm looking for (good size, easy battery replacing and yihi chip). Since you own one, I thought I'd ask you; would you highly recommend it? Or do you think something else is better?

I figure anything with the Yihi chip is a good buy. I own the Sigelei 100w not the mini. The only thing I don't like about the Sigelei mini is the top. Looks like it can scratch easily. But that’s minor. They all have issues of some sort. I find that the paint is now coming off my IPV mini :(

For the price I don't think you can go wrong with the Sigelei mini. I was actually thinking about it myself. I'd rather have an SX mini, but by the time I got it to Korea and through customs it would be around $250.

Note: Not to state the obvious, but you do know that nothing will be coming out of China for the next two weeks.

Last edited:

nwasiq

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2014
Cheonan
I figure anything with the Yihi chip is a good buy. I own the Sigelei 100w not the mini. The only thing I don't like about the Sigelei mini is the top. Looks like it can scratch easily. But that’s minor. They all have issues of some sort. I find that the paint is now coming off my IPV mini :(

For the price I don't think you can go wrong with the Sigelei mini. I was actually thinking about it myself. I'd rather have an SX mini, but by the time I got it to Korea and through customs it would be around $250.

Note: Not to state the obvious, but you do know that nothing will be coming out of China for the next two weeks.

Yes I know, I've planned on ordering in 2 weeks anyway.

You know Alibaba is a really good option to buy mods. They don't write down the official price of the product and write things that'll easily get them past customs (bought an IPV mini, istick and Lemo from there). The downside for me is that they only accept money through western union and paypal. It's not possible for me to make a paypal account (Im a Pakistani) so I relied on western union and had to pay for western union charges as well ($20)

I'm sure you can find a good deal for an SX mini there

PS: Wouldn't you want to wait for a temperature controlled version of the SX mini though? I've heard its supposed to come out in March

Last edited:

Mr.Stick

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2010
Colorado
The K-100 is the caveman tube-mod. I had to get one that was bulletproof, and this one is wonderful. It has been run-over by cars, dropped from 30 feet, caked in mud, and has survived a battery explosion. I run 18650s, even though it can telescope for smaller batteries, but I have taken advantage of that feature as well. Also, it is cheap. Did I mention that it is cheap?

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
If you always wait for the next great thing you'll never buy anything. I'm also not convinced the temperature limiting chips are the way to go yet. If you've built enough coils and you know how to wick - temperature will never be an issue. There is a Vapor Flask V3 (clone DNA 40) for $70 out right now that apparently works better than the authentic.

I've searched Alibaba but have yet to find a vendor selling single units of the SX Mini (minimum 5). If you spot one let me know.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
The K-100 is the caveman tube-mod. I had to get one that was bulletproof, and this one is wonderful. It has been run-over by cars, dropped from 30 feet, caked in mud, and has survived a battery explosion. I run 18650s, even though it can telescope for smaller batteries, but I have taken advantage of that feature as well. Also, it is cheap. Did I mention that it is cheap?

It's also mechanical, although I understand it can come with a 12w kick as an option. Not really what we are talking about here.

nwasiq

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2014
Cheonan
If you always wait for the next great thing you'll never buy anything. I'm also not convinced the temperature limiting chips are the way to go yet. If you've built enough coils and you know how to wick - temperature will never be an issue. There is a Vapor Flask V3 (clone DNA 40) for $70 out right now that apparently works better than the authentic.

I've searched Alibaba but have yet to find a vendor selling single units of the SX Mini (minimum 5). If you spot one let me know.

Really? Can you post a link of this Vaporflask clone? I've always been really impressed by the looks of that thing and $70 sounds really good. Also, dual batteries are a good substitute for easy battery removal.

Yeah the vendors at Alibaba really dislike selling single units even when their web page says they sell singles. I just have fun with them; I say that I'm looking to start an ecig shop back in my home country where there's a huge untapped market etc etc and I want to test your products first before buying in bulk :D

EDIT: I HAVE thought about starting a vape shop some day though..

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
For a tube mod, I can't imagine being happier than I am with my P3. I am waiting for the SX350j with temp control. If its like the existing 350 mini, then that's going to rock hard and I may have to have one.

In Korea the P3 is about $300 - for a 20 watt device at that.The SX350j will be another $200. You're in a league all your own.

Just seems kind of pointless for me to spend $300 on a mod when I vape $10 Orchid clones. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread