~The Billet BoX~

Status
Not open for further replies.

sahilm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2010
New Delhi India
Dear all , Good day , thank you for the Lovely reviews , Just one small question ... when when when when will the 19th come and why does it seem so far away :( , not to mention that i will have to stay up all night to try my luck to get one of the Billet boxes and then wait another 7-8 days before it reaches me in India.

I want to move the USA ...NOW NOW NOW

Up for adoption , 40 year old Indian male , will sing and dance around trees like in Indian movies , will mow the lawn and do the dishes too .
All for the BILLET BOX > >>>>

kindly do not hesitate to contact -:)

warm regards
Sahil .

Doug Dino

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
U-taw
www.billetboxvapor.com
vapian, thank you for that you for writing that post. I am very sorry i was unable to get the video up of tank filling today, i have been working on it since two, almost went to bed, then tried again to get it to work.... now 11.11 and i must admit defeat and rest... I will have answers for you when i have been awake less than my current 53 hours... I got the general impression that your happy with her, and that will make me sleep great. thank you.

ian74

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Finally, there are a few design ideas that might be considered for a future revision:

• It does not appear that the positive carto contact will work well if the center pin of the carto is recessed, which may affect some cartomizers. An adjustable screw or spring pin might be worth considering.
  • I don't find the drip tip/cartomizer collar particularly finger-friendly. I REALLY like the look of the rounded edges but a couple more notches might make it easier to turn with finger pressure. A slightly knurled or otherwise textured finish might be worth considering (either included or as an optional replacement/retrofit piece).
  • Most of my metal drip tips do not fit in the drip tip collar – only a couple out of several that I tried. All of my plastic/acrylic/Delrin tips fit, but some are extremely snug. I would recommend reviewing the I.D. of the collar to see if it could be made just a bit larger without sacrificing seal.
  • An option for textured or "grippy" front and back panels might be worth considering. While I never dropped it, the body did seem to take on a slicker feel after a couple hours of handling.

I think Vapian has great points in his review, and these are great suggestions. Adjustable/floating pin on the contact plate might be something to consider (if feasible). I thought the brass carto collar wasn't so bad, I used the rounded head of one of my keys to snug mine down. And actually some of my drip tips were so snug when in the device I was able to use them to cinch down the carto. Which brings me to the next point....

The drip tips, something I forgot to mention. I also had some metal drip tips that didn't fit (well one of them anyway). I use glass trippy tips mostly though and I had no problem with it. I also had a few cheap aluminum ones that went in, but required a bit of pressure. Plastic/delrin ones went in no problem and were quite snug in there. As long as I can use my glass tips I'm fine though. Some users might feel differently.

Doug Dino

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
U-taw
www.billetboxvapor.com
Got the filling video done,,, it's uploading now and will take about an hour to be live... Was having a big problem with the cameras focus yesterday that i guess i needed to sleep on to get figured out... I'm going to go make some soup and play around here for a while,,, got to check up on my contest too.... finally, i get to do fun stuff.

Bamrz

Z.A.P.T. Member*
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2010
PA, near Philly
Update after taking my BB to work for the day. (I hope you don't mind the abbreviation! It's also one of my nicknames, so it fits well for me :))

I found out I need more than 2 pair of batteries! :laugh: One of the questions I had in my mind was would it cut off at a preset voltage or not, and I found mine to cut off at about 2.5v. That's a little lower than I usually like to go with my batts, so I'll have to pay a bit more attention to the vapor output, which did start to decline right before it cut out. Sadly I can't say how long the batteries would last on a full charge yet, since the ones I put in first were already partially discharged.

As far as the drip tips - right now I have a Bully tip on mine and it fits very well. I was worried about it coming off in my pocket, but nope, it hung on for the whole day! :) My Trippy Tips fit well, but I really didn't want to take a glass tip to work. Molehill Mountain tips fit well too, but they're currently sitting on some other APV's. I did have a few metal drip tips that won't fit, not even if I had changed the o-rings. Basic delrin tips fit very well.

I love this little box for work! :) It provided very ample clouds of vapor for most of the day (before the batts gave out :(). I like the fact that I don't have to turn it off to keep it in my pocket, so it's much easier to stealth vape than with a certain other device that requires many button pushes to turn off/on. ;) I also don't have to worry about breaking a tank off of a tube mod if I have a close encounter with equipment or a door.

I have the perfect tool for the brass collar - it's a little metal coin like thingy with a guardian angel on it that I keep in my pocket all the time. It was a gift from one of my biker sisters, and it fits the grooves perfectly. If I didn't have that, it seems a quarter would work just as well.

Mister Grim

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2012
Yuma, AZ
Dear all , Good day , thank you for the Lovely reviews , Just one small question ... when when when when will the 19th come and why does it seem so far away :( , not to mention that i will have to stay up all night to try my luck to get one of the Billet boxes and then wait another 7-8 days before it reaches me in India.

I want to move the USA ...NOW NOW NOW

Up for adoption , 40 year old Indian male , will sing and dance around trees like in Indian movies , will mow the lawn and do the dishes too .
All for the BILLET BOX > >>>>

kindly do not hesitate to contact -:)

warm regards
Sahil .

I you work, pay rent, chip in for utilities and food we may be able to arrange something :evil:

Doug Dino

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
U-taw
www.billetboxvapor.com
Vapian, I just modified the quote and left any questions or sentences relative to a question intact, and answered in red. Thanks for going into so much detail, it allowed me to touch on some things I have yet to go into detail about.

(Doug - does that spring "loosen up" a little after a few fills?) Yup, after it gets used a few times it will smooth out, but never use a metal needle, this is more to prevent air from getting in, than for fear of juice leaking from the ball seal. Please see the video i just uploaded.. it's on our website now(really sorry i could not have it up sooner, it tuned into a nightmare with the camera settings)

With fingers I couldn't get it seated like it was before loosening, so used a tool again to snug it up just a bit. I snugged them in place with a coin before shipping to prevent the tanks rattling around in the unit, as they can move around a bit without a carto installed. So yah, you would have needed the assistance of a coin to undo that torque

I'm guessing maybe the the brass drip tip/carto collar provides the ground path between the steel carto body and the BB's chassis. Yup, you got it

First (metal) drip tip I grabbed didn't fit inside the ring. So grabbed another (metal) tip, and IT was too big, too. But the third one (a knock-off stainless Ming tip) fit just fine, as did many of my Acrylic/plastic/Delrin tips.

Thank you for letting me know about this. This is exactly the feedback I need as I set up the final tooling that will make the pre orders. I tested each one with my largest diameter drip tip (a thickly anodized aluminum one) to make sure that it fit. I know the metal ones are often slightly larger than the plastic ones, but your largest tip is apparently bigger than mine. I will adjust the tooling for this asap and send you one that will work for your larger metal tips. You too ian, Bamrz, any one else who asks.

There are a couple of questions that come to mind. I do not know they are issues with the BB but it would be nice to know more about a couple of safety-oriented things that are not obvious to me at first glance:

1. Does the design account for venting if the batteries should out-gas or (heaven forbid) explode?
    YES, and well. The Billet box is not air tight, even if the air intake vents on the side are covered with your finger you will still get air flow throughout the entire lid area. If a battery ever did gas out it would exit from the air intake vents. If a battery ever exploded it would first have swollen and would crease the lids bottom to create an exit for the force, not even including the vents. Though i do not recommend the following as you will get juice in the inside of you billet box (not much, so go for it), you can blow on the drip tip while firing the unit and with the vents closed with your finger to see the areas that vent. You would notice one right under the batteries.
  2. Does the electrical design provide any safety features such as over/under voltage, reverse polarity, over current protection, etc.?
    Yes. The Voltage regulator is overkill for for the amount of voltage it can handle. It will handle up to 12 volts input, but will never get it. It is reverse polarity protected, it will simply not operate or do anything at all with the batteries inserted in reverse. Over current is at 3 amps.

Finally, there are a few design ideas that might be considered for a future revision:

• It does not appear that the positive carto contact will work well if the center pin of the carto is recessed, which may affect some cartomizers. An adjustable screw or spring pin might be worth considering. I have never seen a recessed model 510 before, i will look into this. Or are you referring to regular boge type 510's that have some manufacturing error? If so the pin in the carto can be pulled out with the help of a small screw driver or other little tool, and should be easily re centered too. I may make a video at a later date about dealing with 510 manufacturing errors, some are fixable...
  • I don't find the drip tip/cartomizer collar particularly finger-friendly. I REALLY like the look of the rounded edges but a couple more notches might make it easier to turn with finger pressure. A slightly knurled or otherwise textured finish might be worth considering (either included or as an optional replacement/retrofit piece).
    I really did consider making more groves in the brass screw, I will make one with a few grooves and see if i can make it look good. It was never designed to be operated with fingers alone to achieve final tightening and untightening of the cartomizer. However, when i unscrew it more than a few turns i do like to not use the coin and know where you are coming from on this point.
  • Most of my metal drip tips do not fit in the drip tip collar – only a couple out of several that I tried. All of my plastic/acrylic/Delrin tips fit, but some are extremely snug. I would recommend reviewing the I.D. of the collar to see if it could be made just a bit larger without sacrificing seal.
    You will have one in your mailbox sometime next week=)
  • An option for textured or "grippy" front and back panels might be worth considering. While I never dropped it, the body did seem to take on a slicker feel after a couple hours of handling.
    This is where we can have some fun later down the road. My work day BB is wood plated and is not slick at all. Other materials would fit the bill as well. Some users will be able to change their own face plates at home, not everyone will want to tackle it but it can be done... or shipped to us to change them when we are able to offer more of a selection. I always envisioned the Billet Box having wood plates, but in my product testing I vaped in the shower a few times and the wood warped a bit (not bad enough to change, but still..). so wood was out for the time being until I get a vacuum process set up for impregnating the wood with a resin or cyanoacrylate ester to stabilize it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your analyses and impressions, they are invaluable to us as we get rolling. I really hope that I answered all of your questions satisfactorily, and if i missed one please, please yell at me...

~salute

Doug Dino

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
U-taw
www.billetboxvapor.com
Bamrz,
what batteries are you running with? The circuit has no cut off and that is why 3 volt cells can be used as well as 3.7, but that is also why any LiIon cell needs that built in over discharge protection. The black AW 's are really good, and pretty conservative with their cut off. The last vape on those cells is just fine before the cut off, and once they die, they will at least turn back on in a minute or so, so you can sneak just one or two more drags out of um... sounds like your using LiFePO4 tech cells, if your noting some drop out before the battery dies, but not a thing wrong with that if you are...
glad you have a awesome tool with you at all times, but yah, the US quarter is the "OFFICIAL" tool of the billet box.... plz pm me your order number so my wife can find your address and I will send you out an extra brass screw that will fit your larger metal tips. Ohhh, and see the new tank filling video on our website if for no other reason that you got a shout out!!!

Vapian

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2011
Lexington, KY
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your analyses and impressions, they are invaluable to us as we get rolling. I really hope that I answered all of your questions satisfactorily, and if i missed one please, please yell at me...

Doug, you are welcome. And you did just fine. :)

Yes, I will happily test out a new larger I.D. lock/drip tip collar (does that thing have an official nomenclature?) for you. FWIW, I'm thinking maybe one more set of slots 90 degrees out from the others might do the trick to improve finger friendliness. Although, seeing your later post about using a U.S. quarter, danged if a quarter coin doesn't fit in there like it was made for it - which I see it was. You're good. :)

Good info on the safety features, both venting and electrical. That would be good information to make prominent somewhere in the feature list. I did try the carto blowback test (gently to minimize juice on the inside) and it does indeed vent, primarily out the bottom. As a test it is not really equivalent to a "catastrophic" high pressure event but it's enough to ease any concerns.

As for the cartomizer recessed post as a possible issue - yes, referring to standard cartos that should not have a recessed positive pin, but do. I've fixed many a carto by prying out the post -- have also broken a few that way! But I have at least three mods that are adjustable which has been a cool feature. And there are a few mods out there with spring pins, which I think would be preferable since the "fix" would be automatic for most mildly affected cartos - so easy the user doesn't even have to do anything. I know space is tight in there and this really isn't a "show stopper" issue -- just throwing it out there as maybe a V2 thing.

Another feature question: Have you considered an LED (on the inside so it can only be seen if the back plate is lowered a bit) to indicate the state of the batteries? It wouldn't have to be big or very bright, just something to indicate if the voltage is good or falls below a certain level. At one point today I found myself wondering if the batteries were low or the carto conking out (after topping off with a natural extracted tobacco known to decrease carto life) and had no way to confirm battery level. Turned out it was the batteries and fresh set kicked performance back up again. I know something like this adds to complexity and tooling, so just consider it as a bit of brainstorming.

Final question (for now): When will spare tanks be available for this? I'd certainly like to get my hands on one. Today my mind was considering what kind of pocketable case might hold a spare tank, set of batteries, maybe a spare cartomizer and a 10ml bottle with a pointy tip... :)

sahilm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2010
New Delhi India
Dear all , Good day to you and i hope you all are well .
the official Tank filling video has been uploaded by Doug sir on the billet box website , and its extremely precise and well done .
here is a link to the video .

Video on official Website
Billet Box Vapor Inc.

Video on Youtube

Looking forward to the 19th .

warm regards
Sahil .

I have CDO , its like OCD , BUT all the letters are in Alphabetical order AS THEY SHOULD BE -:)

Bamrz

Z.A.P.T. Member*
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2010
PA, near Philly
Bamrz,
what batteries are you running with? The circuit has no cut off and that is why 3 volt cells can be used as well as 3.7, but that is also why any LiIon cell needs that built in over discharge protection. The black AW 's are really good, and pretty conservative with their cut off. The last vape on those cells is just fine before the cut off, and once they die, they will at least turn back on in a minute or so, so you can sneak just one or two more drags out of um... sounds like your using LiFePO4 tech cells, if your noting some drop out before the battery dies, but not a thing wrong with that if you are...
glad you have a awesome tool with you at all times, but yah, the US quarter is the "OFFICIAL" tool of the billet box.... plz pm me your order number so my wife can find your address and I will send you out an extra brass screw that will fit your larger metal tips. Ohhh, and see the new tank filling video on our website if for no other reason that you got a shout out!!!

I only use AW IMR's.

I'm actually quite happy with the collar at the size it is now. For me, if it were larger, some of my tips would be a bit loose, although I suppose I could increase the o-ring size.

Now I'm heading over to watch the new vid! :)

Brutus Buckeye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2010
Body in Knoxville, TN
www.facebook.com
Doug Dino, you are a genius! Plain and simple, a genius. I have been stinkie free for over 2 years and I love all my box mods from my one of a kind Phids (see my blog post) to my GRIP that I use everyday. I never even thought about buying anything else. There were some things that I felt could be better about each of them but was willing to live with them as they worked and worked well.

Then tonight I saw this little post on here about the Billet Box and everything changed. All of those things in my head that bothered me about other box mods and things I wish could be different, you have done them. I now have to have one of these as it is my Holy Grail! I will thank you now and have to find a way to get one in the next batch.

This is what an e-cig, mod, APV (whatever name you want to use) should be, actually this doesn't fall into any of these categories, it is the Billet Box, the new standard other must follow.

Doug Dino

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
U-taw
www.billetboxvapor.com
Doug, you are welcome. And you did just fine. :)

Yes, I will happily test out a new larger I.D. lock/drip tip collar (does that thing have an official nomenclature?) for you. FWIW, I'm thinking maybe one more set of slots 90 degrees out from the others might do the trick to improve finger friendliness.
I have been calling it the "Top Screw", and confess that i was pretty disappointed in myself for the lack of creativity.... typically, I have a knack for naming things well. I will try it with a few more grooves and see how it looks/ functions. I do have the hole in the "brass top scew'y doohickey thing" sorted. I settled on a tapered hole design that seems to be holding the big metal ones (granted, very tightly) and the smaller ones well. I do have to put a little blame on some of the tips themselves, as many of the of these tips I just bought will not even go into a cartomizer without shearing their little o-rings clean off... However i do feel that i have found a good balance for the situation with the slightly tapered hole design.

Another feature question: Have you considered an LED (on the inside so it can only be seen if the back plate is lowered a bit) to indicate the state of the batteries? It wouldn't have to be big or very bright, just something to indicate if the voltage is good or falls below a certain level. At one point today I found myself wondering if the batteries were low or the carto conking out (after topping off with a natural extracted tobacco known to decrease carto life) and had no way to confirm battery level. Turned out it was the batteries and fresh set kicked performance back up again. I know something like this adds to complexity and tooling, so just consider it as a bit of brainstorming.
That may have to be a v2 thing to consider. The problem we would run into here is that the Billet Box can accept so many different batteries and battery architectures... So setting a set cut off would not be the same for each set of batteries ( 3.7v vs 3v, rechargeable vs one use) I like this because lets say your out and about, then get into a pinch for some batteries, you could just walk into a store and pick some rcr123a Duracell or Energizers off the self.. However, the batteries that we will be supplying it the kits will not put you in the situation you described above, they will simply shut themselves off before they come close to dropping out.
Final question (for now): When will spare tanks be available for this? I'd certainly like to get my hands on one. Today my mind was considering what kind of pocketable case might hold a spare tank, set of batteries, maybe a spare cartomizer and a 10ml bottle with a pointy tip... :)
I should have some extras by the end of the week, I am trying to get the pre-orders open by the end of the day today. Will need to have the last of the pre-releases up soon too, and will see how many spare tanks i have after that. I will have them available shortly however, on my word..
great minds think alike with the case, when i go for a road trip I would like to have a case to hold all that i need to keep me going for a while, perhaps not for long term pocket use, but a nice clean storage place to keep organized. Will have to keep you posted on that one though... still plenty of duckies to put in rows.

Thanks a bunch for the ideas!! also, i need to work on a care and feeding section for our web site soon as their are quite a few BB's running in the wild now, but really the only maintenance they should require off the top of my head is just a little* oil on the slide covers side rails and in the milled ball groove... by little, i mean just half a drop of (i just use olive) oil on your finger and then simply slide it on. This is only necessary periodically, whenever she becomes a little less fluid to open and close, this will get her running slick once again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread