The cops are at my door!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeylynn

Aug 1, 2009
Milwaukee
You know, cops are just regular people doing their job. Some of them aren't very good at their job, some are. Just like any other profession, you have good and bad. Hopefully when you have to deal w/ one, you get to deal w/ a good one. Most of them aren't going to go digging for something to bust you on if you aren't doing anything wrong. No body is perfect, just don't put certain inperfections in the cops' faces.

dawghouse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
NCCHIEF...thank you for being a law enforcement officer. We don't get too many chances to thank those who risk their lives on a daily basis so we can live in a somewhat civilized society. We know police are humans and as such make mistakes. But most of us also realize that for every mistake or abuse of power committed by the police there are hundreds of other stories of law enforcement officers losing their lives for our benefit. Tell your compatriots on the force, that the majority of the public is very grateful for your service!

piomode

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Hey any cop who likes Family Guy is probably alright in my book.

I wanted to ask Ncchief, in the case of the OP -- what if Oregon decides on further legislation that completely outlaws ecigs, or even just ejuice. Don't they now have probable cause to obtain a warrant for his premises since the officer who interviewed him has seen the now outlawed equipment?

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
NCCHIEF...thank you for being a law enforcement officer. We don't get too many chances to thank those who risk their lives on a daily basis so we can live in a somewhat civilized society. We know police are humans and as such make mistakes. But most of us also realize that for every mistake or abuse of power committed by the police there are hundreds of other stories of law enforcement officers losing their lives for our benefit. Tell your compatriots on the force, that the majority of the public is very grateful for your service!

Thanks Ken,

21+ years of service and I have unfortunately seen my share of "bad apples" in departments. When one screws up, it hurts us all.

Thanks for your support

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
Hey any cop who likes Family Guy is probably alright in my book.

I wanted to ask Ncchief, in the case of the OP -- what if Oregon decides on further legislation that completely outlaws ecigs, or even just ejuice. Don't they now have probable cause to obtain a warrant for his premises since the officer who interviewed him has seen the now outlawed equipment?

Good question. Since I am not familiar with Oregon law, it is going to be hard for me to give you an accurate answer. In NC however, I would have to say no. Just because I arrested John Doe in his home for having ....... last week, does not give me PC to get a warrant to search it this week. My advice to the OP (if Oregon did make ecigs/ejuice illegal)....Don't talk to the Police!

madman3237

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2009
Laurel, DE USA

Ditto that! While I deal with the public every day, the worst I can do to them is cut off their phone or write them a big bill. Still, I get lies and abuse occasionally. Or the famous words "He won't bite". The S**t you guys have to take is much worst. I can walk away at any time, but you have to stick it out. I respect all police for their dedication if nothing else.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
So I get a knock on the door this evening.. it is a city police officer. He tells me that somebody tipped the police that I was blogging about harmful electronic cigarette chemicals (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-dipropylene-glycol-fragrance-grade-dpgf.html) and I was talking about how to mix the liquid etc.. TRUE STORY.

I showed him my old e cigarette and showed him the liquid and how the whole thing worked. He seemed impressed and told me that if it was illegal, which it is not, it would be out of his jurisdiction anyway. I explained to him how the chemicals are non-toxic food preservatives (PG) and water. He seemed slightly embarrassed and left.

Since my name is not anywhere in my profile, nor my address, and the only identifiable part of this blog is "gtmason" (and my location and avatar pic)... I knew immediately that the only one who would call the police about this is a person from my past who must really have a vendetta against me (to spend so much time online searching blogs for my username) trying to find dirt. What a waste of resources and time for the poor guy, he could have been off busting .... labs or arresting drunk drivers.

I bet I am the only person in the US that has ever almost been arrested over electronic cigarettes. LOL

I have been smoke free since April 5th 09 and I couldn't have quit without the ecig.
I guess your Police Department doesn't have much to do these days. What have you been downloading?????:sneaky:

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
I respect stalkers. How much dedication does it take to surf the ENTIRE internet just to hastle one person! Where do they find the time. Heck, between work and trying to find the best prices for e-juice, my schedule is booked!

--Daffy
P.S. I couldn't effectively stalk anyone, even if they had a GPS tracking device scotch taped to their forehead. Just not enough hours in the day I guess.

aidenunder

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2009
florida - palm harbor
thats crazy..well actually there was someone who was detained overseas and had to explain to the foreign police it wasn't drugs. (i forget who) They confiscated all his juice and pv but let him go..
i read a post from that guy i forget his name but i know he is a traveling business man and hes wearin a suit in his avatar hope this helps

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
If you dont know you have done anything wrong, there is no reason, NOT to answer the door. Could have been a large number of legit reasons or important.

You are not obliged to answer your door at all. And no, even if you haven't done anything wrong it is generally not recommended to talk to police. Ask any criminal defense lawyer. It is far to easy to accidentally incriminate yourself. There are innumerable laws you might not even know you're breaking - or you might just say something that casts you under suspicion.

Superstargoddess

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
The police are your friends if you are not a criminal.

Quoted for truth! Seriously, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about. It's like the guys you see running from the police on "Cops". They spot the police and run for apparently no reason. They say "I don't like the police, they harass me!" then they usually find some crack on the guy.

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
Quoted for truth! Seriously, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about. It's like the guys you see running from the police on "Cops". They spot the police and run for apparently no reason. They say "I don't like the police, they harass me!" then they usually find some crack on the guy.

I have ALWAYS believed this and I so want to continue to believe this is true. It's what I was taught as a kid and it's what I want the world to be like. But... The sad reality is that this is NOT true. Besdies traffic stops (where the police officers have usually been stern but polite) the few encounters I've had with officers have not been this way. Generally I've been considered guilty of something and officiers were forceful in questioning me and angry when I didn't answer or asked if I was being arrested or if I was free to leave. I can say, unequivocally that in each case I had not broken any law and I was never arrested. The encounters however, have always been psychologically traumatic (fortunately for me not physically so).

The more people have cameras around the more we see things like this:

YouTube - Video Caught On Tape News Reporter Crew Gets Detained By A Police Officer In El Paso Texas

YouTube - Critical Mass cyclist Assaulted by NYPD

YouTube - Police vs Reporter, US - ABC TV Crew Pulled Over, Gunpoint

Again - I say I wish this weren't the the way of the world. I know many police officers and most of them are nice men and women. There are, however many elements in the police force nationwide who are not "nice" and are abusive. Because of this I can't agree that: "...if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about."

dEFinitionofEPIC

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
NJ
Too true Chad. You're absolutely correct. Police abuse unfortunately happens everyday. You don't have to neccessarily be doing anything illegal.

Case in point: Has anyone seen the recent clip of the cop beating up an old alzheimer's patient in a parking lot because they wouldn't listen him?

It's a sick world...

By the way--piomode: I'm loving your avatar... We gotta END THE FED.

Superstargoddess

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
I have ALWAYS believed this and I so want to continue to believe this is true. It's what I was taught as a kid and it's what I want the world to be like. But... The sad reality is that this is NOT true. Besdies traffic stops (where the police officers have usually been stern but polite) the few encounters I've had with officers have not been this way. Generally I've been considered guilty of something and officiers were forceful in questioning me and angry when I didn't answer or asked if I was being arrested or if I was free to leave. I can say, unequivocally that in each case I had not broken any law and I was never arrested. The encounters however, have always been psychologically traumatic (fortunately for me not physically so).

The more people have cameras around the more we see things like this:

YouTube - Video Caught On Tape News Reporter Crew Gets Detained By A Police Officer In El Paso Texas

YouTube - Critical Mass cyclist Assaulted by NYPD

YouTube - Police vs Reporter, US - ABC TV Crew Pulled Over, Gunpoint

Again - I say I wish this weren't the the way of the world. I know many police officers and most of them are nice men and women. There are, however many elements in the police force nationwide who are not "nice" and are abusive. Because of this I can't agree that: "...if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about."

Well yes, but you also have bad doctors who do stuff with their patients (happened to my old ob/gyn, just got in trouble for it, but he was always nice to me and never tried anything), fast food workers who spit in food, etc etc, the list can go on and on.

It's just a lot more publicized when it's police officers, it seems.

greenie

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Pacific Northwest
You know, cops are just regular people doing their job. Some of them aren't very good at their job, some are. Just like any other profession, you have good and bad. Hopefully when you have to deal w/ one, you get to deal w/ a good one. Most of them aren't going to go digging for something to bust you on if you aren't doing anything wrong. No body is perfect, just don't put certain inperfections in the cops' faces.

exactly,I couldn't say it any better

VaporPhreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
@Superstargoddess: That is because Police and other "authority" figures are supposed to hold to a higher ethical and moral plane than the rest. Unfortunatly, like many people in every profession, most cannot maintain this and eventually snap. Now as someone who has been arrested before on bogus charges, I can honestly say that I was treated very well. Granted when I found out I had a warrent out for me I turned myself in immediatly, but the the officers were very nice too me. For one, and this is important as I am a big guy, they were nice enough to use 2 sets of cuffs to avoid causing pain or injury to my sholders and back. Secondly, the officer who cuffed me and read me my rights sat and spoke with me for a few minutes and blatently said:

"I dont know if you have done what you have been accused of, and frankly I dont want to know at this moment. I just want to tell you to be careful and keep quiet while in the holding area. This will keep you from getting on anyones bad side, and I mean both 'us' and 'them'."

This officer didnt care what I was accused of, and was trying to keep me safe. As I had never been arrested or even questioned before he felt he should warn me in order to keep me safe. I appreciate this immensly.

On the other hand, a good friend of mine was arrested and beaten into submission for denying an officer the proviledge of searching his backpack while he was on the way to school one morning. He had nothing on him. On the bright side he just won a half million dollar settlement with the state. :D

Like I and others have said before, in all professions there are good and bad folks. Just hope you get a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread