The cops are at my door!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
NCCHIEF...thank you for being a law enforcement officer. We don't get too many chances to thank those who risk their lives on a daily basis so we can live in a somewhat civilized society. We know police are humans and as such make mistakes. But most of us also realize that for every mistake or abuse of power committed by the police there are hundreds of other stories of law enforcement officers losing their lives for our benefit. Tell your compatriots on the force, that the majority of the public is very grateful for your service!

+2 :thumb: NCChief, as a member of the military who receives a lot of "thank you's" from the public for my service, I am saddened by the fact that our very own law enforcement and firefighters do not receive the same claps on the back and "thank you's". Too often, we forget that it is the public servants in our very own towns/cities that provide us the freedoms and safety to live our lives completely oblivious to what's going on in other places. Thank you thank you thank you.

And while I did watch the two videos and cannot disagree with them, I am also bothered by that type of mentality. If you live a just life, you should have nothing to fear from the law and those who uphold it. Too often, I hear young kids talk about why they will run from the cops or will not talk to them. They have the mindset that the police are only out there to get them. Fact of the matter is that without law enforcement, we would be living in chaos. If you are not a criminal, then why should you fear the law? Sure....I've been known to speed and break speed limits. Does that make me a criminal? I don't think so. Does that mean I broke the law and am susceptible to punishment? ABSOLUTELY! We all know what is right and wrong (for the most part). If I do something wrong, I do so knowing that I place myself in jeopardy with the law....therefore, I should be prepared to answer for it....not run from it.

Back to the OP....amazing and yet funny story. Sorry to hijack it. :oops:

Talen

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
East Coast U.S.A/Thailand
I can actually believe it. You must not have seen the other thread where a lady said that some kids weren't allowed to come over anymore to see her kids since someone said that what she was using was some sort of drug device. I can see it going further to the point of where someone would report a person for a device they suspect as being a drug device.

The thread you are pointing out has nothing in common whatsoever with this thread. That thread had a mother thinking he was using drugs due to the description of the device.

The Op in this thread is claiming that the police came to his house because he was blogging about supposed illegal e-cigarettes.

E-cigarettes are not illegal in the United States or any other country and police officers know this. Blogging about non illegal devices is likewise not something the police will come to your house about.

You can blog about illegal activities and the police do not have the right to come to your house and ask you about it. Unless that is you have implicated yourself in a crime.

The op then adds this caveat:
He seemed impressed and told me that if it was illegal, which it is not, it would be out of his jurisdiction anyway

So, we are to believe that a police officer who knows this device isn't illegal also knows that even if it was it would be out of his jurisdiction. Why did he stop by then?

At the least the police officer has abridged the op's constitutional rights at the worst he is guilty of police harassment.

If this had happened to me or many others you can bet I would have a police officers job and have the the local news stations up in arms.

What did the Op do...posted a thread in an e-cig forum to get people talking.

CrazyTerrie11

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
W. Valley/Phoenix Arizona USA
No. Another can post the specifics, I'm drawing a blank. Old age...

Njoy and Smoking anywhere had suit brought against them by the AG claiming they were making unsubstantiated health claims. The 2 companies made a deal of sorts that boiled down to the suit being withdrawn if they stopped selling in Oregon.

Not exactly what was reported by the press but whadda ya gonna do?

Anybody else, please correct this as needed.

I wish the government would stay out of my lungs, my womb, my yard, my car, my house etc. They are glorified babysitters and not everyone needs a babysitter...If we do we'll call one. Other than messing with us I wish they would concentrate on more pressing issues. Its gotta be pressure from Big Tobacco....they stand to loose a ton of revenue..bummer

Superstargoddess

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
The thread you are pointing out has nothing in common whatsoever with this thread. That thread had a mother thinking he was using drugs due to the description of the device.

The Op in this thread is claiming that the police came to his house because he was blogging about supposed illegal e-cigarettes.

E-cigarettes are not illegal in the United States or any other country and police officers know this. Blogging about non illegal devices is likewise not something the police will come to your house about.

You can blog about illegal activities and the police do not have the right to come to your house and ask you about it. Unless that is you have implicated yourself in a crime.

The op then adds this caveat:

So, we are to believe that a police officer who knows this device isn't illegal also knows that even if it was it would be out of his jurisdiction. Why did he stop by then?

At the least the police officer has abridged the op's constitutional rights at the worst he is guilty of police harassment.

If this had happened to me or many others you can bet I would have a police officers job and have the the local news stations up in arms.

What did the Op do...posted a thread in an e-cig forum to get people talking.

You never know, that's all that I am saying. I'll try to get the balls to go down to the local Barney Fife police station and see if they have ever even heard of PVs.

Superstargoddess

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Thanks for backing me up :) I can tell you that the general public is generally not adept to the whole ecig thing.. The ignorant and uneducated person that called the police told them I was "mixing dangerous chemicals" and must have thought that I had some sort of illigal lab in my house..

With .... being such an epidemic in the country today, I can see where people might think that this stuff is somehow related to that if they didn't know any better. I don't know much about .... myself except that they make it in homemade labs from chemicals and smoke it with some sort of homemade pipe things, I think.

Drugs are bad out there today though, we need to be worried about everything. I wish the best president in the world was still here, Good old Ronald!

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
I just have to say this thread is a great read. Absolutely loved the video's. That law professor is one hell of a dynamic speaker, turning something that would normally be very boring to watch, albeit with good information, into something that was truly entertaining, and still very informative.

It's very sad that the the old adage, if you are innocent you have nothing to fear, no longer applies.

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
sometimes i worry that if people see me vaping while driving they'll think im using some illegal drugs
I've thought about that a few times too. I think there've even been some posts about weird reactions to people vaping.

The very next thought I have is "screw 'em" they can think what they want. I can't live in fear of what people "might" think of me. It's not affecting them at all, I'm not doing anything wrong, so I'll make no apologies about it (especially if it's in the privacy of my own car and/or home).

Stephaniems

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
sometimes i worry that if people see me vaping while driving they'll think im using some illegal drugs

Me too! I think I'm gonna start carrying a regular bought ecig around and vape that while in the car and have all the manuals and information on what it is with me.

I exclusively use a homemade battery mod for the 901 and I've been asked lots of crazy questions about what it was, most people DO think its a way to use illegal drugs.

Hangtime

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2009
I've thought about that a few times too. I think there've even been some posts about weird reactions to people vaping.

The very next thought I have is "screw 'em" they can think what they want. I can't live in fear of what people "might" think of me. It's not affecting them at all, I'm not doing anything wrong, so I'll make no apologies about it (especially if it's in the privacy of my own car and/or home).

privacy? do we have that right as an American/as a human in the society we live? I think I have forgotten what privacy is.:confused:8-o

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
No. Another can post the specifics, I'm drawing a blank. Old age...

Correct. Vaping is NOT illegal in Oregon. The ONLY thing that's currently illegal is for NJOY specifically to sell their PVs at two specific travel stores. There is NO comprehensive ban on PV sales, no ban on ownership or usage. PVs are fully legal here.

Read these:

Oregon A.G. bans sale of electronic 'cigarettes' | Local News | kgw.com | News for Portland Oregon and SW Washington

E-cigarette company suspends sales in Oregon | Local News | kgw.com | News for Portland Oregon and SW Washington

There's a lot of misconception flying around about Oregon's PV legislation and it's all being driven by the state AG. He's running a propaganda campaign that's intended to give the impression that anyone caught vaping here will be thrown into federal prison without a trial. It's a classic case of scare tactics. Even some of my friends have expressed concern that I'll go to jail for using my PVs. It's sad how people just believe stuff without looking into the facts.

So, to be clear, I'll say it again: buying, owning, using and even selling PVs in Oregon is COMPLETELY LEGAL at the moment, unless you're NJOY and you're trying to sell them in two specific locations. Everything else you hear is propaganda.

PS: It's true that the Oregon AG has sued Smoking Everywhere and that several SE locations have closed, but it's not illegal for SE to continue selling here and it won't be until the case is resolved.

Superstargoddess

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2009
Ohio

I'm still going with the fact that I don't care what anyone thinks because I know that I am not doing anything wrong and that can be proven. When I see a cop coming towards me in the other lane on the other side of the road, I still keep my PV in my hand that's on my steering wheel, I don't try to hide it. Same would apply if I was walking down the street.

I do live in a part of Ohio that is known for it's marijuana use, so they would have reason to be suspicious since they don't know me. However, I know that if they question me, I know what to say. I would offer to let them take me to the station and do whatever kind of testing they need to do to make them feel better.

Please don't be afraid of doing something that isn't illegal. Even if someone thinks that you are doing something illegal, and they think that you are guilty until proven innocent, it can be proven that you are innocent. And heck, maybe you will win some money in a civil suit if they go overboard on you! ;)

FreyTy

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
I think your first mistake was answering the door at all. No warrant, no talkie. Now they know for sure when they are able to raid you that you'll have "illegal" stuff.

The police are not your friend. I also think it's outrageous that your taxes went to pay for him to come out to your house for something that wasn't illegal.

I agree with this completely... I NEVER answer the door for cops. If they need to talk, their dispatcher can call me. If they have a warrant, well they can knock my damn door down.

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
I agree with this completely... I NEVER answer the door for cops. If they need to talk, their dispatcher can call me. If they have a warrant, well they can knock my damn door down.

When we come to your door to tell you a loved one has just been killed, we will just leave a note on your door. Look for the little yellow sticky.

Last edited:

lashmn

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
SW FL (Naples)
Thanks...just took you off of my supplier list.

NCC

Great reply and THANK YOU for all you do to keep us safe. I, for one, appreciate law enforcement officers. Spent one whole day while visiting NYC after 9/11 going around thanking all the police and firefighter for their contribution and to give my condolences on their massive losses.

Lynn

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
Great reply and THANK YOU for all you do to keep us safe. I, for one, appreciate law enforcement officers. Spent one whole day while visiting NYC after 9/11 going around thanking all the police and firefighter for their contribution and to give my condolences on their massive losses.

Lynn

Thanks man. I have been to way too many funerals of friends of mine. It is nice to know that for every JERK out there, there are hundreds of guys like you supporting us.

Keep on Vaping!!

NCC

eric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I have ALWAYS believed this and I so want to continue to believe this is true. It's what I was taught as a kid and it's what I want the world to be like. But... The sad reality is that this is NOT true. Besdies traffic stops (where the police officers have usually been stern but polite) the few encounters I've had with officers have not been this way. Generally I've been considered guilty of something and officiers were forceful in questioning me and angry when I didn't answer or asked if I was being arrested or if I was free to leave. I can say, unequivocally that in each case I had not broken any law and I was never arrested. The encounters however, have always been psychologically traumatic (fortunately for me not physically so).

The more people have cameras around the more we see things like this:

YouTube - Video Caught On Tape News Reporter Crew Gets Detained By A Police Officer In El Paso Texas

YouTube - Critical Mass cyclist Assaulted by NYPD

YouTube - Police vs Reporter, US - ABC TV Crew Pulled Over, Gunpoint

Again - I say I wish this weren't the the way of the world. I know many police officers and most of them are nice men and women. There are, however many elements in the police force nationwide who are not "nice" and are abusive. Because of this I can't agree that: "...if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about."

Police officers have guns. There is always something to worry about. Not that I'm against the right to bear arms, nor police officers for that matter, not by any means, but we must understand that there are bad-natured police officers who do have the ability to shoot at will, and potentially, as has been shown time and time again, bear little to no repercussion.

With that said, if there are any of the many great officers out there reading this, thank you for everything you do. God bless you.

Just do what they ask you to do, so long as it's Constitutional. They're here to protect and serve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread